Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    I can see a bookie pulling a stunt at paying out a Kane hattrick at half time

Edit: just saw humour thread. Close enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Kane trying to tell the ref in the tunnel that it was his goal.

Liverpool
    Sterling should have 100 goals this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ah he's got one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

About time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Sterling should have 100 goals this season.

God, he is crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What a pass from KDB.

What a touch....Sterling could have had a hat trick.

Liverpool
    Wembley will be empty before the match ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

At least for his own sake Davinson Sanchez is quick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Liverpool
    Southampton absolutely robbed by the ref today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Newcastle on 41 points now after that victory over Arsenal. Rafa has done an incredible job there to keep them up. Not sure what’s left for him there unless he gets funds to spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

FT 2-1

NEWCASTLE ARE SAFE

Now sell the club Cashley

Oh yes they have to play Everton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Arsenal have 0 points away from home in 2018, mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Everton
    astradave wrote: »

https://twitter.com/danielstorey85/status/985523800862347265

Mental is right. They are in desperate need of a shake up.

Did I see Arsene Wenger signed a new contract or was that an April Fools joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Rafa is some man.

Newcastle don't deserve him to stay there beyond this season. The fans do, but not the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Newcastle on 41 points now after that victory over Arsenal. Rafa has done an incredible job there to keep them up. Not sure what’s left for him there unless he gets funds to spend.

They'll go straight down to the Championship if they don't back him (assuming he then leaves).

If they do back him they could certainly reach the top of the best of the rest table and maybe get into Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

SlickRic wrote: »
    Rafa is some man.

Newcastle don't deserve him to stay there beyond this season. The fans do, but not the club.

Hopefully they find a good buyer soon. Newcastle should be at least pushing for Europa league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

astradave wrote: »

Just saw that on the BBC, the only team in all 4 divisions not to have earned a point. Crazy stuff.

Liverpool
    Man U lose to the bottom of the table and worst team in the league at home to hand City the title.

Deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

West Brom to go on an amazing 5 game win streak and stay up?

..............Or, more likely just go back to losing next week and be relegated by the end of the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    Well that was the worst finish to the league I have ever seen. Typical utd to bore the ****e out of everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City are deserving champions because United lose at home to the bottom team.

Laughing my bollóx off watching United and Mourinho being thoroughly píssed off in the rain.

This week couldn't have gone much better !!

Love it !!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Good result in isolation for West Brom but too little too late you’d imagine.

United probably should’ve had a peno for the draw, I think anyone but Herrera gets it but the ref couldn’t be sure given his usual antics.

Nyom was immense.

City champions.

More puke football from Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    Turtyturd wrote: »

United probably should’ve had a peno for the draw, I think anyone but Herrera gets it but the ref couldn’t be sure given his usual antics.

Nyom was immense.

I think it was down to Herrera flipping himself 180 degrees in the air after the challenge.

Turtyturd wrote:

Pardew's appointment now looks even worse if that was even possible. City deserving champions but they won it months ago anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Big game the FA Cup semi Spurs vs Man Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    Turtyturd wrote: »

Even if they win all their games 10-0 they're still ****ed.

Swansea need 4 pts from 5 games.
    Palace need 3 from 4.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    Man U lose to the bottom of the table and worst team in the league at home to hand City the title.

Deadly.

Could be worse, they could have already been out of the race mathematically before todays game, now that would have been sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    irishman86 wrote: »
    Could be worse, they could have already been out of the race mathematically before todays game, now that would have been sad

Jaysus, if that's all you can cling on to :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Man City win the league whoop de doo.

I wonder will billions more be pumped in next season?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

mikeym wrote: »

Until they win the champions league, I would imagine so.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

That's generally how clubs win professional football titles, been that way since the 1880s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

When you consider that the likes of yaya are on 220 k a week and you would be forgiven for forgetting he is in the squad you start to realise the strength in depth and the reality of how red the real books must be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool

Nobody has retained the league in nearly a decade so you'd be forgiven for expecting City to rest on the laurels and let the rest catch up.

They'll spend more money in the summer, bring in a few more faces and go again and anyone would be foolish to bet against them retaining it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Arsenal would be an awful lot worse if they hired Benitez to replace Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm not sure. I have a lot of respect for Wenger and what he's achieved at Arsenal but he's outstayed his welcome judging by the fans' reaction. I feel a little bad for him to be honest. I think Benitez performed well at Newcastle and Liverpool where he wasn't given huge budgets to work with. He's certainly still held in high regard by Liverpool fans. Although after 2005 this is hardly surprising.

The job Benitez has done at Newcastle is very impressive.

Promoted from the Championship at the first attempt - Champions
    Little to no Investment for a PL campaign when the TV money is at an all time high.
    Club constantly under takeover speculation / failed takeover bid
    Mike Ashley
    Beats United & Arsenal to secure PL safety early.
    Top half of the table.

In the last 15 games, Newcastle have taken 26 points, 4 more than Chelsea.They've lost 3 times in this spell - the same as United. These losses have been against City (2) and Liverpool.

Benitez is the master of beating the clubs that they have to.

Largely still with a Championship squad.

FitzShane wrote: »

Largely still with a Championship squad.
    He's done well, sure, but what constitutes a "Championship squad"? Looking at their players, most have a good few years of top-flight experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Newcastle spent an obnoxious amount of money on transfers by championship standards when they were down there, more than some elite clubs in Europe and more than a lot of the premier league this or last season. So to call it a championship squad is wrong, it was a expensively assembled squad that was playing in the Championship.

Can't think of many of the Newcastle squad of say is top standard. Most have been relegated tbh. Kenedy & Dubravka were great loan signings though. Spent a lot less last summer in the PL than teams below them. Was clever to spend big after getting relegated as the sooner you get up the easier it is; look at Leeds, Charlton and others who went down & have stayed down there. Got good money for Sissoko too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Isn't their record signing still Michael Owen.... he's spent peanuts relatively speaking.

I have to say Benitez has done well. The demands of the Championship are a bit different to the PL so to get promoted top and then be safe in April with a fairly unchanged squad is good going.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Isn't their record signing still Michael Owen.... he's spent peanuts relatively speaking.

Relative to the Premier League, maybe. Not to the Championship though.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/newcastle-united/transfers/verein/762/plus/0?saison_id=2016&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

Yeah they spent money in the summer when they got relegated but they also sold €100m worth of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    Would Arsenal fans would look down their noses at Rafa?

I know if I was an Arsenal fan I'd hope that we'd go after bigger targets first and see what plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Liverpool
    Must be one of the most boring run ins ever.

5 games to go for most and barring something dramatic:
    Title done
    Top 4 done
    Europa League (Top 7) done
    Relegation getting close to being done given the abysmal form of Southampton and stoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

GavRedKing wrote: »

I know if I was an Arsenal fan I'd hope that we'd go after bigger targets first and see what plays out.

A defensive coach and even the tea lady instead of Wenger would be a big step in the right direction.

GavRedKing wrote: »

They already are.

Villa fans thought they were above him and got relegated that season.
    West Ham fans thought they were above him and pine for a proper manger since.
    Chelsea fans thought they were above him and he won them a European trophy even with all the personal abuse he got.
    Arsenal fans think they are above him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement