Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

FitzShane wrote: »
    They already are.

Villa fans thought they were above him and got relegated that season.
    West Ham fans thought they were above him and pine for a proper manger since.
    Chelsea fans thought they were above him and he won them a European trophy even with all the personal abuse he got.
    Arsenal fans think they are above him.

Not wanting a man doesn't mean we think we're "above him". I don't want Carlo Ancelotti either, yet I can still appreciate his achievements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    They already are.

Villa fans thought they were above him and got relegated that season.
    West Ham fans thought they were above him and pine for a proper manger since.
    Chelsea fans thought they were above him and he won them a European trophy even with all the personal abuse he got.
    Arsenal fans think they are above him.

Given what he said about the club in the past, it was never going to win over Chelsea fans appointing him.

He done alright considering where he took over with the club in 3rd and finished in 3rd.

Lost 2 semi finals and a final, clinched top 4 with a game to go and got very lucky in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Newcastle spent an obnoxious amount of money on transfers by championship standards when they were down there, more than some elite clubs in Europe and more than a lot of the premier league this or last season. So to call it a championship squad is wrong, it was a expensively assembled squad that was playing in the Championship.

You've long been a detractor of the goateed one. How would you rate the job he's done at Newcastle overall?

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Given what he said about the club in the past, it was never going to win over Chelsea fans appointing him.

He done alright considering where he took over with the club in 3rd and finished in 3rd.

Lost 2 semi finals and a final, clinched top 4 with a game to go and got very lucky in Europe.

How? In terms of the draw you mean?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_UEFA_Europa_League

Wouldn't be over the moon with Rafa but it would be a step in the right direction.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Wouldn't be over the moon with Rafa but it would be a step in the right direction.

While I'm personally a big fan of Rafa, I think he would draw too much attention and have too much relative baggage to be given enough time at Arsenal if it didn't go well straight away.

It would be starting off on the wrong foot and I believe not be in either his or Arsenal's best interests if he were to be appointed there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The only thing is that unlike Utd when Ferguson left Arsenal are in the doldrums (sounds a bit stupid since they're currently in the EL semi final). Utd had won the league in Ferguson's last year. It always looked like the toughest job in football replacing him, poor Moyes never had a chance. Utd had been declining though with the likes of City and Chelsea improving.

Liverpool
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Subjectively, we didnt deserve to win the final, it wasnt as bad as 2012 but Cech kept us in the game, he must have made close to double figures in saves.

As I said, I'm delighted we won it but we coasted along that year in 3rd/4th all year in the league and should have been knocking on the door for a league title really.

Although the same can be said for Joses first season when City and Pool fought it out for the PL title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Arsenal would be an awful lot worse if they hired Benitez to replace Wenger.

Well they are 6th now (just about). I couldn't see Benitez having them lower down the table that than given he has Newcastle 10th now and 9th if they win their game in hand. And for all Arsenal's problems they have far more quality in their squad than Newcastle do. I mean Newcastle's main striker is Dwight Gayle!

Not sure how Rafa would work with this Sven fella at Arsenal though. Usually he likes to have a lot of control over the comings and goings in the playing staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

GavRedKing wrote:
    As I said, I'm delighted we won it but we coasted along that year in 3rd/4th all year in the league and should have been knocking on the door for a league title really.

Not really, Chelsea just sacked their manager midseason & were dumped out of the Champions League in the group stage. Can't think of many teams in top leagues where that happens & they challenge for leagues. Benitez & Chelsea was a relationship of convienence where both were on the rebound of disappointments & wanted something quick and fast. Certainly compared to this season or 2 years ago it was a big success to get top 4 & win a European trophy even if Benfica are cursed

Subjectively, we didnt deserve to win the final, it wasnt as bad as 2012 but Cech kept us in the game, he must have made close to double figures in saves.

Although the same can be said for Joses first season when City and Pool fought it out for the PL title.

I don't remember the game in a huge amount of detail, but I remember it being fairly evenly contested? Didn't Lampard hit the bar in the first half? As it is, I think Chelsea deserved credit for coming back late to turn it around. Don't really believe that collection of players were hugely lucky. Tough and resilient, yes.

Liverpool
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don't remember the game in a huge amount of detail, but I remember it being fairly evenly contested? Didn't Lampard hit the bar in the first half? As it is, I think Chelsea deserved credit for coming back late to turn it around. Don't really believe that collection of players were hugely lucky. Tough and resilient, yes.

Lampards effort was pretty late in the second half, wasnt long left on the clock when he hit the bar.

Benfica dominated much of the game having the better chances, we caught them on the counter through Torres in the 2nd half to take the lead. Chelsea were 2nd best for much of the game really but history will only remember the winners. :o

It looked destined for E.T. until Ivanovics winner but ya, Lampards shot deserved to win any game.

Liverpool
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Not really, Chelsea just sacked their manager midseason & were dumped out of the Champions League in the group stage. Can't think of many teams in top leagues where that happens & they challenge for leagues. Benitez & Chelsea was a relationship of convienence where both were on the rebound of disappointments & wanted something quick and fast. Certainly compared to this season or 2 years ago it was a big success to get top 4 & win a European trophy even if Benfica are cursed

Before Di Matteo failed to win 3 or 4 games on the spin in the PL, Chelsea were top, I think we won 7 out of the first 8 games.

His downfall was losing to Juventus and deploying Hazard as false 9, we lost that game comprehensively and needed a lot of results to our way to go through 2nd.

We finished 3rd with the same points as Shakthar and more goals scored but im not sure off the top of my head why we finished 3rd, as on head to head it was 4-4 (a 2-1 loss in Ukraine and a 3-2 win in London).

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Before Di Matteo failed to win 3 or 4 games on the spin in the PL, Chelsea were top, I think we won 7 out of the first 8 games.

His downfall was losing to Juventus and deploying Hazard as false 9, we lost that game comprehensively and needed a lot of results to our way to go through 2nd.

We finished 3rd with the same points as Shakthar and more goals scored but im not sure off the top of my head why we finished 3rd, as on head to head it was 4-4 (a 2-1 loss in Ukraine and a 3-2 win in London).

Shaktar had better head to head with the away goals obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Abramovich's Chelsea now look completely authentic!

https://twitter.com/etisalat/status/985567113489338369

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Team of week from Garth Brooks,

2ppiqgn.jpg

Good to see young Master Arnold being recognised.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

My good God, how pitiful is that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Team of week from Garth Brooks.

Always thought he was more of a baseball man...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Liverpool
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    My good God, how pitiful is that.

Omfg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

eVBWenFm.jpg

• Advertisement

Team of week from Garth Brooks

Even though its a misspelling he'd probably pick better teams than Crooks does most weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

James McClean lifts the lid on Pardiola's management style...

On Sunday's win under caretaker Darren Moore:

"It obviously helps when you go out on the pitch knowing what you're doing - as individuals and as a team," McClean told BBC Radio 5 live.

"Since the big man's come in, we've worked in training on what we're doing defensively and what we're doing attackingly.

"In the past two games, we've shown we actually know what we're doing when we go out on the pitch, which obviously always helps."

James McClean lifts the lid on Pardiola's management style...

On Sunday's win under caretaker Darren Moore:

"It obviously helps when you go out on the pitch knowing what you're doing - as individuals and as a team," McClean told BBC Radio 5 live.

"Since the big man's come in, we've worked in training on what we're doing defensively and what we're doing attackingly.

"In the past two games, we've shown we actually know what we're doing when we go out on the pitch, which obviously always helps."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Too little too late for West brom. Still think they should of stuck with pulis. More confidence in him keeping them up than pardew.

Stoke in 19th. Need a win take off an attacker to bring on Geoff Cameron.

Good man Joe Hart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Joe Hart :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

kane with a massive goal for stoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Hernandez should have been booked there, blatant dive.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    kane with a massive goal for stoke

Ah Jaysus, is this still a thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Is that not a penalty on Carroll?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Ah Jaysus, is this still a thing?

kane equalises for the hammers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    Thought Oliver was going to award another late controversial peno!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

batistuta9 wrote: »
    kane equalises for the hammers

Thought it was Carroll:).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Anyone seen the Bonnie Tyler's Greatest Goalkeeping Blunders dvd? It's totally clips of Joe Hart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Liverpool
    City have only had less than 55% possession in one game this season - Away to Arsenal that was - 52.5%

Have had the majority of possession in every prem league game this season.

That's mad, even for City.

Liverpool
    Alonso rightfully charged by the FA for the incident with Long the other day.

I'm still baffled how Dean missed it, hes really a terrible ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Not his first time hes being charged , and will probably get off lightly.
    But I suppose he didnt kill anyone ........... (this time)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool

Better to miss it than see it and only give a yellow, like what happened with Ben Davies. That was a disgusting tackle from him but because the ref only booked him for it, he can’t be punished any further.

The fact remains that Dean is awful of course. I think he only gets games in the PL these days to stir up controversy and get people talking. There’s absolutely no other explanation, I’ve seen better Scottish refs get pulled from the SPL, and the standard in that league is an utter joke.

Liverpool
    Is Harry Kane claiming that? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Harry Kane just scored. He really did this time.

Liverpool
    Some strike from Bruno that. Shame it was into the wrong net.

Liverpool
    Tottenham take the lead early in the second half

image.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Kane should complete the hat-trick now that he's been taken off.

Liverpool
    Good point for Brighton. They deserved something from the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Pochettino team having its usual stumble to the end of the season, should be fine though with Chelsea a minimum of 5 points back when they play their game in hand.

I like how they have the reputation for being such a brilliant attractive attacking free scoring team, yet still with a game more played have only 3 more goals then the boring anti football dross United turn out.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

irishman86 wrote: »
    Could be worse, they could have already been out of the race mathematically before todays game, now that would have been sad

Says the...Arsenal (honest) fan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    PFA team of the year.
    De Gea, Walker, Vertonghen, Otamendi, Alonso, David Silva, De Bruyne, Eriksen, Salah, Kane, Aguero.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/986536481589166080

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Pochettino team having its usual stumble to the end of the season, should be fine though with Chelsea a minimum of 5 points back when they play their game in hand.

I like how they have the reputation for being such a brilliant attractive attacking free scoring team, yet still with a game more played have only 3 more goals then the boring anti football dross United turn out.

Chelsea's game in hand is away to Burnley the most inform team in the league so you never know

Chelsea's game in hand is away to Burnley the most inform team in the league so you never know
    They should tail off soon, they're hardly gonna finish with 10 straight wins. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Does anyone want Serge Aurier for their (sunday league) team, I will collect and deliver, no charge !

#DONKEY

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
Advertisement