Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

First time Aguero has ever made the cut. Arguably doesn't even deserve to be there this time too.

No Tarkowski is a shame, he's been excellent. Id have Ben Davies as my left back too, not Alonso. Otherwise, maybe Sane Or Firmino instead of Aguero and that might be it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

First time Aguero has ever made the cut. Arguably doesn't even deserve to be there this time too.

No Tarkowski is a shame, he's been excellent. Id have Ben Davies as my left back too, not Alonso. Otherwise, maybe Sane Or Firmino instead of Aguero and that might be it?

Otamendi??
    I stopped reading after that tbh. These individual awards and teams are generally a cod anyway, but a guy who is a generally poor defensive defender playing in a team that dominates so much they rarely have to defend being selected is silly.
    Without looking at stats, I'd imagine Aguero had probably had better seasons alright, Firmino is probably on better form, especially since October anyway, but I wouldn't argue with Aguero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Otamendi??
    I stopped reading after that tbh..

Why?
    He has played well in most games I have seen him play this year. He seems to have improved greatly over the last 12-15months.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I get the feeling Otamendi is being picked on for a couple of poor recent performances. He's been very good for the majority of the season (Indeed it was noted during one of the Liverpool games that he was looking like the "old Otamendi" in contrast to his usually impressive performances this season) and well worth his spot imo.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Quite a poor selection really. None of the defenders would get anywhere near an all-time XI, and you couldn't play those 3 attacking midfielders in the same team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    GLaDOS wrote: »
    I get the feeling Otamendi is being picked on for a couple of poor recent performances. He's been very good for the majority of the season (Indeed it was noted during one of the Liverpool games that he was looking like the "old Otamendi" in contrast to his usually impressive performances this season) and well worth his spot imo.

Is that not just him actually having to do his job for a change because his team wasn't as dominant or didn't have as much control, and being exposed as not very good at it?

He's had a decent season, but if you look at De Gea, for example, he's in there not because of an abstract stat about clean sheets or overall goals conceded, but because he's incredibly busy for a team that's supposedly solid.
    Instead of a system padding the stats of its players, he's a player padding the stats of the system.

You can argue that Pep's system is solid defensively because, after all, it doesn't concede much, but I don't think it necessarily follows that individual defenders ought to get the plaudits.

Of course, that raises questions about teams like Burnley, and Tarkowski, and whether a player in such a defensive team deserves as much credit as teams/players that play higher lines.

I think that's why Spurs' defenders get so much credit. Defending is hard in the Spurs team. It's also why I think we'll see Van Dijk in the team of the season next year, because defending for Liverpool is a nightmare.

I think CB is probably the hardest position to pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Gbear wrote: »
    I think CB is probably the hardest position to pick.

They're just talking about this on OTB now, come up with 4 or 5 names between the 3 of them, including Lascelles who would never have occurred to me...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    fullstop wrote: »
    Says the...Arsenal (honest) fan!

I dont support Arsenal, I enjoy the way they play *enjoyed
    But now that Giroud is at Chelsea i dont really have the same interest in them
    You tried, i suppose at least you can say that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Martial having a stormer! :pac:

Utd 0-1 up, Bournemouth looking every inch the Poundland Arsenal right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Bournemouth on holiday. Liverpool didn't get out of 2nd gear against them and beat them comfortably. United 2nd choice team strolling around them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

rob316 wrote:
    Bournemouth on holiday. Liverpool didn't get out of 2nd gear against them and beat them comfortably. United 2nd choice team strolling around them.

To be fair Liverpool whiped the floor with them twice. Their safe now & have nothing to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    Despite them not turning up tonight, Bournemouth are still punching well above their weight. Apart from Ake, Cook and King, that squad is nothing special at all.

Their fans will be hoping Dyche takes the England job in July when Southgate is inevitably sacked, because Howe is definitely next on the list you’d imagine.

I agree. Premier league survival is their target and they done it. Nothing to fight for so it's no surprise their not busting a gut.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Despite them not turning up tonight, Bournemouth are still punching well above their weight. Apart from Ake, Cook and King, that squad is nothing special at all.

Their fans will be hoping Dyche takes the England job in July when Southgate is inevitably sacked, because Howe is definitely next on the list you’d imagine.

Have Bournemouth not spent a few quid. The likes of Ake, Begovic, Ibe & Defoe weren't cheap one way or another. Think they've been fairly poor in the transfer market since coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ERG89 wrote: »
    Have Bournemouth not spent a few quid. The likes of Ake, Begovic, Ibe & Defoe weren't cheap one way or another. Think they've been fairly poor in the transfer market since coming up.

When compared to Brighton's signings as a promoted side the Cherries have been very conservative, all very British and premium proven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I stand by my comments re:otamendi.... Whenever real pressure has been put on him he has really struggled. Recent Liverpool games are a good example.

BTW, what is it about Manchester United left backs and getting away with fouls for penalties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

They probably have been poor in the transfer market so a total miracle to not even be fighting relegation for 2
    seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I stand by my comments re:otamendi.... Whenever real pressure has been put on him he has really struggled. Recent Liverpool games are a good example.

While his abilities are questionable it's team of the year and he deserves to be in it main stay in the defence that conceded the fewest goals. High profile mistakes (some outside that competion you might add) seem to have blurred the visions, he also scored half the amount of goals Silva did. The lack of contenders up for debate shows you it's an area of the pitch that isn't thriving and kinda goes for world football at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Mourinho at the post-match press conference: I don't say 'be champions.'

Oh but you do...

media_xl_3917931.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    Good result for United and players seem to have come through unscathed. Four points clear of Liverpool and six clear of Spurs. Nice confidence boost ahead of the FA Cup semi-final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

When compared to Brighton's signings as a promoted side the Cherries have been very conservative, all very British and premium proven.
    JPA wrote: »
    They probably have been poor in the transfer market so a total miracle to not even be fighting relegation for 2
    seasons.

It's the one criticism that Bournemouth fans seem to have when it comes to Eddie Howe: a lot of the big name signings have (at best) struggled to settle. Ibe started to show some quality over time and that is to be expected from a young lad but, then, you'd have to question the logic of making him the club's record signing at the time at £15m.

Lewis Grabban, Max Gradel and Benik Afobe are all among their biggest ever signings too; all have moved on pretty soon after signing.

The Defoe deal is still a questionable one given the wages attached.

Begovic and Aké look like decent bets, mind.

It is very unimaginative, though, it must be said. Huddersfield, Brighton, Watford and others have all shown that there is quality and value looking elsewhere. I mean, the likes of Schindler, Zanka, Lossl, Ryan, etc have all been picked up at pretty good prices for those sides and have done well.

But, overall, Howe has done very well. Bournemouth have this odd trend of going off the boil for 5/6 games at a time and then being practically unbeatable for the next 5/6. Must be stressful for the fans but they never seem too close to danger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Mourinho at the post-match press conference: I don't say 'be champions.'

Oh but you do...

media_xl_3917931.jpg

Haha used to get a great laugh off that sketch show on sentanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    The WBA interim manager is a bit of a unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hegazhi must fancy an early summer break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Dirt by Hegazhi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    There has been some really bad refereeing this season and this guy is right up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    He's definitely in the Ballon d'Or mix. No player in last decade has been more deserved of breaking the Messi Ronaldo stronghold imo.

Liverpool
    That should be a second red card for Hegazhi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Liverpool fans have to be very disappinted with that.

Blowing a two goal lead with less than 20 minutes left in the game against the worst team in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Bad result, clearly switched off and turned attention towards Tuesday. Hazards of still being in the CL...Could’ve been worse though, it wasn’t a loss against the worst team in the league.

• Advertisement

• Everton
    Great to see Liverpool piss away a 2-0 lead
    Good result for west brom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

M!Ck^ wrote: »

They needed all 3. Doesn't help them a jot in the end.

Liverpool
    Good week indeed for WBA beating the second placed team away from home and drawing at home with the third placed team in the league.

The sooner the better they go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everton

I am a Utd fan also but couldn't care less for that game!

And to be honest I doubt Pool fans care less either! Or even the management, players or clubs themselves!

And getting these results now is actually more frustrating for West Brom fans considering how they have played over the course of the season and could and arguably should be a few places up the table if they had put in better performances against their table rivals.

Lose 10 games in a row and go bottom and then decide to get a few results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭finno

Ah look who is back after hiding for the week when utd lost to West Brom at home

Lose 10 games in a row and go bottom and then decide to get a few results.

Are my sums right Moore has got more points in 3 than Pardew did in 18?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everton
    Are my sums right Moore has got more points in 3 than Pardew did in 18?

one win and 5 draws for Pardrew.

Moore has got 5 points.

There has only been a rare occasion WB have been embarrassed this season, the home loss against Leicester being the only one that stands out. Plenty of draws that could easily have been 3 points if they were a bit more adventurous and most of their defeats were merely to an odd goal.

They really should be in a better position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

UEFA allowing the Top 4 from the main leagues automatically into the Group Stages of the CL without qualifying has ruined the end of seasons.

For example, Liverpool couldn't care less that they only drew with WBA today, they will still finish in Top 4. Whereas last season that result might have meant them starting their season a month before Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

UEFA allowing the Top 4 from the main leagues automatically into the Group Stages of the CL without qualifying has ruined the end of seasons.

For example, Liverpool couldn't care less that they only drew with WBA today, they will still finish in Top 4. Whereas last season that result might have meant them starting their season a month before Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    NIMAN wrote: »

I think the reason Liverpool didn't have a full team out today was because the semi final is on Tuesday not because they don't care if they finish 3rd or 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

NIMAN wrote: »

Those qualifiers are after the start of the Premier league season where the English 4th place team entered.

If Stoke & Southampton weren't both a complete joke for some time the likes of Swansea & others could have been put under more pressure.

Liverpool
    Salah POTY.
    UkGw84C.jpg

Wait till he gets used to the league.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fully deserved.

Delighted.

rob316 wrote: »
    Wait till he gets used to the league.

If only he could finish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Sane Young player of year .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Sane Young player of year .

Future Ballon D'Or winner in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Fully deserved by Salah and Sane, though Sterling could have been in there for the YPoTY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Shudda been Pogba for POTY and Rashford for YPOTY. Eh lads? :pac:

Advertisement