Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    Well deserved for both. I had KdeB down for player but delighted for Salah. Hope he bags another few goals before we finish for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

jesus I got so much hate
    really mo salah won
    poty
    lol
    lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Fair play Salah. Thought he was the clear winner. Be interesting to see will the 2 Spanish clubs come sniffing over the summer.

Edit : Although I think he'll stay at Liverpool for at least one more season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tough on Kane missing out. I'm sure he'll win the young player award next year though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Liverpool
    So Kane and Sane are both up for YPOTY, Sane wins it, yet Kane is included in the Team of the Year ahead of him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Islander13 wrote: »
    Future Ballon D'Or winner in my opinion

Doubtful. Pep system always aims to maximise 1v1s for the wingers. They frequently look much better than they are actually are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Well deserved for Salah, incredible season from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Great to see Liverpool piss away a 2-0 lead
    Good result for west brom

I like you
    honestly I do
    we might win this
    I'll enjoy your pain
    I'm listening to twisted sister (not necessary)

I'll enjoy your pain

i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    gimli2112 wrote: »
    I like you
    honestly I do
    we might win this
    I'll enjoy your pain
    I'm listening to twisted sister (not necessary)

I'll enjoy your pain

i

Time for bed ;) or at least put down the drink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

One of life's little mysteries: why separate MOTDs for the league and cup?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

One of life's little mysteries: why separate MOTDs for the league and cup?:confused:

Maybe the programs get sold on to other markets, where broadcasters might only have rights to one of the competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ratings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

So Kane and Sane are both up for YPOTY, Sane wins it, yet Kane is included in the Team of the Year ahead of him?

The whole system is broken and ridiculous. Harry Kane is 25 this summer.

The YPOTY should be no more than 21 at the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Liverpool
    If pool wins champions league and salah is instrumental in that he should win the balon dor as well imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

World Cup will play a big part in deciding who wins the balon dor.

Ronaldo is in some serious form in 2018 hard to look past him at the moment imo.

Everton

It could be the people that voted see Kane as more a senior player and voted Sane for young player and not that they thought he had a better season than him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Losing 8 FA Cup Semi Finals in a row.... RIDICULOUS !

Beat Utd (comfortably enough) at Wembley in the League.
    Play more or less the same line ups in a FA Cup semi, and they fail to perform AGAIN !!
    WTF is going on? As soon as there is a sniff of a trophy they flop ....... Don't know how to win........

Could be a few players going id say, why bother trying !!

" Its the hope that kills you " ..... ( Should be our club motto )

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Man Utd
    greenspurs wrote: »

Play more or less the same line ups in a FA Cup semi, and they fail to perform AGAIN !!
    WTF is going on? As soon as there is a sniff of a trophy they flop ....... Don't know how to win........

I'm just quoting this because it makes me very happy

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'm just quoting this because it makes me very happy

Must be a gooner (easily pleased)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Man Utd

Easy to be please when you're winning trophies regularly. ;)

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Have to assume the core of the side is broken up this summer. There will definitely be interested parties and the players themselves need to ask themselves if staying at Spurs is compromising their window to compete for major honours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    Spurs rarely get picked apart of their best talent without getting a serious wedge in return and Levy will ensure that in the summer if players do leave.

If I was guessing as to which player(s) will leave, I'd say Alderweirld is a certainty to be out the door.

After that, no idea but Kane, Eriksen, Alli, Son, Dembele, Wanyama will all court attention from other PL sides and for some of those players, the big European sides too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Wouldn't know - haven't seen a pleased gooner in a while.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think Dembele with leave Spurs too.

I don't buy into his hype. Has a questionable injury record, is the wrong side of 30 and goes missing in games too. Nowhere to be seen on Saturday, even when Spurs were on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Liverpool
    kane to city to replace aguero,sneaky feeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

kane to city to replace aguero,sneaky feeling

Good luck to City. Have to break Neymars record fee well to have a 10% of Levy even considering accepting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    I honestly cant see any PL side being allowed to sign Kane.

It would be a world record fee if it did happen.

Even if he goes abroad to PSG/Barca/Real it would take insane money to get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭MurDawg

Anyone else hate that player of the year is decided before final games are played?

I don't understand this when essentially 10% of total games are yet to be played. Surely this influences all of these awards.

Not begrudging Salah, more so the format. Unless I'm not getting something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    MurDawg wrote: »
    Anyone else hate that player of the year is decided before final games are played?

I don't understand this when essentially 10% of total games are yet to be played. Surely this influences all of these awards.

Given that they're apparently voted for in February, it's more like 30%.

It's daft alright.

Don't see the problem in waiting til the last week of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    In this day and age the FA and clubs could set up an app for the players to vote on in the last week of the season.

In this day and age the FA and clubs could set up an app for the players to vote on in the last week of the season.

Absolutely. Can't get my head around it.

Talk about dinosaurs!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

A real end of season feel to the game at Goodison Park. No life or quality in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Well deserved goal from Everton.

67% possession and have been fairly controlled aside from a couple of defensive brainfarts.

Good tactical switch of the wide players from the boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    Excellent clearance from Coleman at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    A good win from a should be sacked manager v manager of the season....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Have to assume the core of the side is broken up this summer. There will definitely be interested parties and the players themselves need to ask themselves if staying at Spurs is compromising their window to compete for major honours.
    Maybe the players need to ask themselves if they’re part of the reason they’re not competing for major honours?

I would say overall Spurs have improved this year as they made great strides in Europe and maintained their position in the top 4. The lack of silverware is a concern but it shouldn’t completely detract from them establishing themselves as a force in England and in Europe.

I expect you’re looking for a reaction because anyone who thinks the core of the team will be broken up this summer, when they’re moving into the new stadium is deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Maybe the players need to ask themselves if they’re part of the reason they’re not competing for major honours?

I would say overall Spurs have improved this year as they made great strides in Europe and maintained their position in the top 4. The lack of silverware is a concern but it shouldn’t completely detract from them establishing themselves as a force in England and in Europe.

I expect you’re looking for a reaction because anyone who thinks the core of the team will be broken up this summer, when they’re moving into the new stadium is deluded.

Will Levy pay the players what they could get at other Top 6 teams? By all accounts that's why Alderwield is leaving. Kane is on a shockingly low amount when compared to the likes of Augero, Lukaku, Sanchez, Morata etc.

If the club won't pay up then the players will eventually look elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Will Levy pay the players what they could get at other Top 6 teams? By all accounts that's why Alderwield is leaving. Kane is on a shockingly low amount when compared to the likes of Augero, Lukaku, Sanchez, Morata etc.

If the club won't pay up then the players will eventually look elsewhere.

Alderweireld's row is about a release clause, no? He has a low one that activates next summer - something like £25m - and he doesn't want to drop it from the contract.

Presume that's in tandem with a wage hike but I had read that it was the former that was proving the biggest obstacle, same as Emre Can at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Alderweireld's row is about a release clause, no? He has a low one that activates next summer - something like £25m - and he doesn't want to drop it from the contract.

Presume that's in tandem with a wage hike but I had read that it was the former that was proving the biggest obstacle, same as Emre Can at Liverpool.

I think Can wanted guaranteed playing time and a very low buy out clause but I'm a bit 100% sure.

Eh, what did I miss regarding European performance? Progressed from an easy group and lost in the 2nd round?

As to the first point, players haven't thought like that in the history of football - whatever the rights and wrongs. If Real come looking for Eriksson he's much more likely to want to move to the biggest club in the world rather than stay due to an obligation he feels for his own shortcomings in the biggest games Spurs have lost the last few years.

Levy drives a hard bargain, but there will be suitors knocking on the door for their star players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Eh, what did I miss regarding European performance? Progressed from an easy group and lost in the 2nd round?

As to the first point, players haven't thought like that in the history of football - whatever the rights and wrongs. If Real come looking for Eriksson he's much more likely to want to move to the biggest club in the world rather than stay due to an obligation he feels for his own shortcomings in the biggest games Spurs have lost the last few years.

Levy drives a hard bargain, but there will be suitors knocking on the door for their star players.

Nobody gave them a chance of getting out of that group when it was drawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

That's a ridiculous statement, if anything it was one of the toughest groups.

Nobody gave them a chance of getting out of that group when it was drawn.

Turns out Dortmund suck however, as does the German league as a whole in Europe this year. As such, it was an easy group. They failed their first actual test in Europe this year.

jiltloop wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous statement, if anything it was one of the toughest groups.

The event has happened, and we can draw conclusions from what happened. Dortmund managed two draws with the Cypriots, they're terrible. They then crashed out of the Europa League deservedly to Salzburg. It was an easy group lad.

The event has happened, and we can draw conclusions from what happened. Dortmund managed two draws with the Cypriots, they're terrible. They then crashed out of the Europa League deservedly to Salzburg. It was an easy group lad.

You're being very selective with the events you've chosen there. The fact is we topped a group unbeaten that was very difficult on paper (granted Dortmund were disappointing).

We beat the reigning champions (for the past 2 years) 3-1 and drew 1-1 with them in the Bernabeu and played very accomplished confident attacking football across both games which raised the eyebrows of the quite a few people across Europe.

If you still want to maintain that a group containing Real Madrid is an easy group then you're being deliberately obtuse and it comes across as desperately trying to validate your earlier point which I think is massively overstated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I wouldn't say nobody gave them a chance of getting out of the group but they weren't the favourites that's for sure and it certainly wasn't what you would describe as an easy group.

They then managed to finish ahead of Real which is no easy task.

They are another world class player away from being a real force to be reckoned with but instead I think their better players will leave over the next couple of seasons for better wages elsewhere.

I wouldn't say nobody gave them a chance of getting out of the group but they weren't the favourites that's for sure and it certainly wasn't what you would describe as an easy group.

They then managed to finish ahead of Real which is no easy task.

They are another world class player away from being a real force to be reckoned with but instead I think their better players will leave over the next couple of seasons for better wages elsewhere.

Agreed, I think we're on the cusp of being real PL title contenders and getting to the quarters or semis of the CL but it could very easily all come crashing down unless salaries are brought closer in line with rival teams. A new stadium with higher gate receipts should be the perfect platform to initiate this but I fear that Levy won't use the extra revenue this way.

jiltloop wrote: »
    You're being very selective with the events you've chosen there. The fact is we topped a group unbeaten that was very difficult on paper (granted Dortmund were disappointing).

We beat the reigning champions (for the past 2 years) 3-1 and drew 1-1 with them in the Bernabeu and played very accomplished confident attacking football across both games which raised the eyebrows of the quite a few people across Europe.

If you still want to maintain that a group containing Real Madrid is an easy group then you're being deliberately obtuse and it comes across as desperately trying to validate your earlier point which I think is massively overstated.

I'm not being deliberately obtuse, 3rd and 4th in the group finished on 2 points each. The group was a non contest for qualification. After two fixtures:

Real 6
    Spurs 6
    Dortmund 0
    Apoel 0

3:
    Spurs 7
    Real 7
    Dortmund 1
    Apoel 1

4:
    Spurs 10
    Real 7
    Dortmund 2
    Apoel 2

Ball Game. As comfortable a ride as you'll get.

Performing well against the big dogs in the group stages is nice, but what matters comes after Christmas. In that regard, Spurs fell apart when Juventus squeezed at a key moment in the tie. Cheillini's post match statement tells you all you need to know about the respect Spurs have in European competition. You've a long way to go to earn respect from the clubs that matter in that arena.

Eriksen ...............
    Hardly an Easy group ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Liverpool
    Performing well against the big dogs in the group stages is nice, but what matters comes after Christmas. In that regard, Spurs fell apart when Juventus squeezed at a key moment in the tie. Cheillini's post match statement tells you all you need to know about the respect Spurs have in European competition. You've a long way to go to earn respect from the clubs that matter in that arena.
    Juventus fell apart when Real Madrid squeezed at a key moment in the tie, and that was after Christmas as well. Same thing, different game. Spurs were unlucky on the night in question, nothing to do with respect.
    Spurs biggest challenge is like that for Liverpool, realising that points on the board in the first 3 months is key to a title challenge. By game 10 Spurs had lost to Man Utd and Chelsea whilst drawing with Burnley and Swansea. They were playing catchup too early on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement