Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Arsenal
    Nope who ever finishes 4th would miss out only 5 teams from one country can be in the CL

Are you sure about this, I thought 4th place would go to the qualifying round in the above scenario rather than straight to the group stage. You could be right though, Im may have read it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Kolido wrote: »
    Are you sure about this, I thought 4th place would go to the qualifying round in the above scenario rather than straight to the group stage. You could be right though, Im may have read it wrong.

I think he is. It appears the max representatives from the big 3 leagues is 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Kolido wrote: »

English teams no longer go into the Qualifying rounds for the Champions League

As it stands England have 4 CL teams and 3 EL teams

4 CL teams go into the group stage and 2 EL teams go into the group stage with 1 playing in the qualifying rounds

So top 4
    Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and Spurs will be in the group stage

Chelsea & Arsenal will be in the group stage of the Europa League
    Burnley in the qualifying rounds

If Liverpool and Arsenal win and Liverpool finish 5th it will look like this
    Liverpool and Man City will go into Pot 1, Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal all in the group stage of the CL

Chelsea in the group stage of EL and Burnley still in the qualifying rounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It would nearly be worth it if Chelsea grab forth but then see Liverpool win the CL/Arsenal the EL and so relegate them to the EL. That said I'd prefer they'd just feck it up v Swansea tonight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Must be annoying for Shane Long starting every game that Southampton are likely to be dominated in, and as soon as they have a very winnable home game he’s on the bench.

I know with his record you could argue he doesn’t deserve to start any game at all, but still it must be annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Absolute schoolboy defending from Bournemouth, getting caught out from their own corner like that. Howe should be raging at that.

Claude Puel reverting to type. Palace 2-0

I do hope Southampton stay up. They have some lovely players and there’s definitely a good football side there somewhere.

It’s getting interesting at the bottom if they hold on today. Huddersfield and Swansea in real danger and Brighton badly need to hold on for a point today, which might be difficult as Burnley tend to do well in the last quarter of games.

I do hope Southampton stay up. They have some lovely players and there’s definitely a good football side there somewhere.

It’s getting interesting at the bottom if they hold on today. Huddersfield and Swansea in real danger and Brighton badly need to hold on for a point today, which might be difficult as Burnley tend to do well in the last quarter of games.

All their lovely players will leave in the summer, and not (just!) to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Swansea vs Southampton next week should be interesting.

• Advertisement

Palace 5-0 up, Benteke given a mercy peno to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Man City
    Delighted for Roy Hodgson today. The stick he takes from people is ridiculous. He’s done another great job at Palace especially considering where they were when he took over.

He’s a really, really good manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

DeanAustin wrote: »

Alright mate pump the brakes there, he's a...good manager, if even.
    He had a chance at a top job recently and was ****, not sure what he's done since then to justify such lofty praise.

38 points is in 11th position in the table and it’s May 1st in a couple of days. Seems a bit crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

38 points is in 11th position in the table and it’s May 1st in a couple of days. Seems a bit crazy.

Just goes to show the gulf between the top teams and the rest at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I can see Huddersfield being overtaken by Swansea and Southampton, it’s highly likely they won’t pick up any more points as their last three games are City away, Chelsea away and Arsenal at home.

Southampton may well not reach 35 at all though, they’re blessed to escape with anything from today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    I said a few weeks ago I thought Huddersfield might go. They are right in the mix now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Everton fans will be unhappy to win again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Don't those ingrates know how lucky they are to have Big Sameone as manager?:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah well I think they had less possession than Huddersfield. So naturally thats far more significant than the final scoreboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Delighted for Roy Hodgson today. The stick he takes from people is ridiculous. He’s done another great job at Palace especially considering where they were when he took over.

He's an ok manager, can get a team organised, keep things on an even keel, but is limited.

The biggest change between Palace early in the season and now is that Zaha is fit, and he missed the first couple of months. Palace with and without Zaha are two entirely different propositions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool

Shouldn't be forgotten he took over a Palace side that had lost their opening 4 games without scoring a goal, and that his first set of fixtures were extremely tough featuring games with Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea.

He's done a great job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Everton
    He had a chance at a top job recently and was ****, not sure what he's done since then to justify such lofty praise.

Id say its more praise for the job he's doing at palace, who were on fairneaa destined for the bottom before he joines. He's done a remarkale job there, same praise would go to Carvahal at Swansea, also doing good things there and would hate to see them go down.
    And to be fair i dont see anyone give out about hodgeson, did **** at pool but that was a few years ago, sure moyes was just a ****e.
    As i said he's doing a fine job at palace and i think he's found a club he's comfortable in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Hodgson is a great manager.

He's not top tier though and shouldn't manage any team that wants to win anything.

Everyone knows this. Even the odd fan who just want to have a sneaky go at Liverpool fans because they dare take the píss out of him.

You all know he's not good enough to manage a club with ambition. Let me as you this...Utd, City, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea fans...would you want him managing your club?

Exactly.

Everton
    SlickRic wrote: »
    Hodgson is a great manager.

He's not top tier though and shouldn't manage any team that wants to win anything.

Everyone knows this. Even the odd fan who just want to have a sneaky go at Liverpool fans because they dare take the píss out of him.

You all know he's not good enough to manage a club with ambition. Let me as you this...Utd, City, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea fans...would you want him managing your club?

Exactly.

Dont think anyone said he should be managing at a top tier club but i mean you can still be a good manager managing a lower team at the bottom half of the table. Those teams cant compete spending wise etc with the bigger clubs so managing within your restricions is a skill in itself.

Now in not saying he's a messiah but credit where its due for the job hea doing at palace.

You ask a palace fan and they're delighted to have him which is all that matters

• Advertisement

He has a level. He's excellent when he's at his level. He doesn't have it in him to be top level but anyone outside the top 6 is fine for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

He has a level. He's excellent when he's at his level. He doesn't have it in him to be top level but anyone outside the top 6 is fine for him.

Yeah he's in the same bracket as your Allardyce's and such. His teams play nicer stuff than Allardyce granted.

Everton
    Lamina for southampton had a cracking game today

Everton
    McCarthy save at the end was world class.

Liverpool
    One of the magic roundabout of pardew ,big Sam, hodgson, pulis, Moyes, Hughes had to do well they couldn't all fail.

• Advertisement

Everton
    One of the magic roundabout of pardew ,big Sam, hodgson, pulis, Moyes, Hughes had to do well they couldn't all fail.

Well done, youve won the bal on dor for the most absurd comment

Everton

Sam has kept them.up, as well has moyes and hughes. Pulis and pardew dont mange anymore. You literally havr people in the same bracket. Some have takin over from the previous manager. Your so full of ****

Liverpool
    AidoEirE wrote: »
    Well done, youve won the bal on dor for the most absurd comment

Great stuff the standard must really have dropped for that award this year. Hopefully you won't take my comment as serious on second reading this morning .

A lot of mediocrity there. There must be some up and coming managers that can compete with these guys, either in the UK or abroad.

Great stuff the standard must really have dropped for that award this year. Hopefully you won't take my comment as serious on second reading this morning .

Downgraded from 'bal on dor' most absurd comment winner to 2nd most absurd comment on this page. Such a fall from grace :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Sam has kept them.up, as well has moyes and hughes. Pulis and pardew dont mange anymore. You literally havr people in the same bracket. Some have takin over from the previous manager. Your so full of ****

Hughes kept who up???
    Largely responsible for Stoke being in bottom 3,and hasn't worked any miracles at Soton yet.

Both he and pardew left illdisclipined messes at WBA and Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    Actually has any manager ever contributed to 2 relegations in 1 season before? Something to leave off the CV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Man City
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    A lot of mediocrity there. There must be some up and coming managers that can compete with these guys, either in the UK or abroad.

Look at the reaction on the Arsenal thread to the possibility of Eddie Howe taking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Hughes kept who up???

Palace, Bournemouth, West Ham, Watford & maybe even Brighton, Huddersfield & Swansea. Albeit unintentionally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

LOL, I completely forgot Evra was at West Ham. Moyes really doesn’t help himself with these signings of former players. Evra was badly out of his depth at Marseille and should have been shipped out even before he attacked a fan.

Pep has thrown caution to the wind and put two players from the academy on the bench. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Camera cuts to Wenger after United winner
    Martyn Turner: "He can't believe it!"
    No, Martyn, there's no possible way Wenger could have seen that coming.:rolleyes:
    Seriously, can commentators not come up with anything to say in those situations other than that moronic cliche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

xtal191 wrote: »
    Not as bad as Kane claiming a goal tho ...... :rolleyes: :cool:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    M!Ck^ wrote: »

That's to big of a risk for Arsenal. They'll hire someone who is an established manager.

• Everton
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    That's to big of a risk for Arsenal. They'll hire someone who is an established manager.

It has been confirmed by Ivan Gazidis in his own interview that it does not necessarily have to be an established manager.
    Arteta for example is also in the running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Excellent .................

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Seems awfully strange to abandon ship at such a crucial time in Liverpool's season, one has to wonder about this rumor.

• Advertisement

Everton
    He's been around the game all his life, been second to klopp for years i believe. Wreckon he might do a job with them, the attacking players are there, just needs the right formula.
    If he can ship out the lads that are just passing the days, and shape up the defence and add a midfielder they could be within a shout next year.

Arsenals back line and keeper are the problem

Advertisement