Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

GavRedKing wrote: »
    CB was down in the box for quiet awhile on the 90th min.

My jumpy stream missed that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Think the referee was a disgrace there. Hughes has every right to be furious. No way should he have added on an extra minute to injury time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

A catalogue of mistakes. Never a foul for Redmond on Keane, then awful defending by Bertrand & a deflection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Shootout on Tuesday for the final relegation place. I think Southampton are showing a bit more under Hughes and will win that game.

Swansea play stoke at home on the last day and you feel they’ll win that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Disgrace from the referee there, goal comes a minute after extra time was supposed to have finished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Who's the co commentator on by that's going on about the added time? I only got in for the last 30 secs or so of normal time.

How many years is it now that the board goes up with the time and it's explained as a minimum of x minutes. Not x minutes and that's it. Tools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    fullstop wrote: »
    My jumpy stream missed that

Its also Jon Moss as ref, he's beyond useless.

The one ref, I'd never want to have on the field. :o

I think he probably added on too much time though, sai ta did deserve the win too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's West Brom's year.

Swansea Southampton has to be a draw to keep the dream alive, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Shocking decision by Bertrand to keep it in play there. That could haunt him for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Everton
    Wow West Brom are really hanging on here. Everything going their way recently and now this last minute Everton equaliser.

I still see them going down but they're putting up one hell of a fight and luck is on their side atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool

No, if either side lose, theyed have 33 going into the last day.

WBA have 31, so could still catch either.

In fact, with GD, either side losing suits WBA.

EDIT. Yeah think any result is ok for them

Double EDIT. Was right the first time :). One spot to play for so draw is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Its also Jon Moss as ref, he's beyond useless.

The one ref, I'd never want to have on the field. :o

I think he probably added on too much time though, sai ta did deserve the win too.

And he's too fat, struggled to get up the pitch at the end there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

GavRedKing wrote:
    No, if either side lose, theyed have 33 going into the last day.

WBA have 31, so could still catch either.

In fact, with GD, either side losing suits WBA.

Nope, WBA have to finish ahead of both to stay up, not just one.
    That match must be a draw for them to stay alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    fullstop wrote: »
    Where did the extra minute come from?

Cedric pretending to be injured

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

spock. wrote: »
    Nope, WBA have to finish ahead of both to stay up, not just one.
    That match must be a draw for them to stay alive.

Yes, the odds are stacked against WBA.

The Swansea vs Soton game in midweek must end in a draw for WBA to survive to the last day. Then, WBA must win against Palace and hope both Swansea & Soton lose their games. Then, it all comes down to goal difference between WBA & Soton - WBA needing a swing of 4 goals I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Who's the co commentator on by that's going on about the added time? I only got in for the last 30 secs or so of normal time.

How many years is it now that the board goes up with the time and it's explained as a minimum of x minutes. Not x minutes and that's it. Tools

If it says 4 it’s 4. The ‘minimum’ is just a bs excuse to cover themselves and only fools would buy it.

Southampton were screwed over. Even with that injury there’s no way it was anything near another minute.

Anyway I’m kind of happy as I’d love if WBA were still fighting on the final day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Yes, the odds are stacked against WBA.

Then, it all comes down to goal difference between WBA & Soton - WBA needing a swing of 4 goals I think.

Saints playing Man City last day so if WBA get that far there's a decent chance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

massive game Tuesday - would like Swansea to do it - been good for the Premiership over the years - unlike West Brom , bar this late surge - really dont know where its coming from , probably relief from Pardew - fair play Moore - hope he gets a shot long term

If it says 4 it’s 4. The ‘minimum’ is just a bs excuse to cover themselves and only fools would buy it.

Southampton were screwed over. Even with that injury there’s no way it was anything near another minute.

Anyway I’m kind of happy as I’d love if WBA were still fighting on the final day.

It's not. The 4th official decides the minimum. The ref decides what point after that it ends. If it was 4 mins and nothing else no matter what, a team could have a player go down injured for 4 minutes and just run the clock out. Subs and whatnot count for more time in injury time just like they do in normal time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Sir Alex is in hospital with rumors of a bleed on the brain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44019175
    A United statement said the procedure "had gone very well but he needs a period of intensive care to optimise his recovery".

Ferguson, 76, retired as United manager in May 2013.

He was at Old Trafford last Sunday, when he presented Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger with a commemorative trophy.

76 is no age at all, even with as stressful a job as he had for as long as he had it.

That seems like an optimistic report at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Gbear wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44019175

76 is no age at all, even with as stressful a job as he had for as long as he had it.

That seems like an optimistic report at least.

I wish the man well, but saying 76 is “no age at all” is plainly wrong. Male life expectancy on these shores is 78/79.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    That deflected goal was a real sickener for Southampton. Seemed to me like their complaints about time added on were justified. Happy for Hodgson and Palace. Imagine when he took over saying they'd be in with a chance of a top ten spot come the final day. Would have seemed bonkers.

Wasn't expecting a Spurs slip up but it's that time of year when the struggling clubs start pulling out big results. Takes a lot of pressure off United following last night's poor result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    That deflected goal was a real sickener for Southampton. Seemed to me like their complaints about time added on were justified. Happy for Hodgson and Palace. Imagine when he took over saying they'd be in with a chance of a top ten spot come the final day. Would have seemed bonkers.

Wasn't expecting a Spurs slip up but it's that time of year when the struggling clubs start pulling out big results. Takes a lot of pressure off United following last night's poor result.

Was there ever any pressure on Utd in before today's game. Utd are 2nd no matter what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Was there ever any pressure on Utd in before today's game. Utd are 2nd no matter what happens

I felt Spurs had an outside chance of nicking it before today's result. The goal difference between them and United is close. Had Spurs won all their games they could have hit 80 points, meaning United may have needed 4 points from the last two games to guarantee the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Thats a fair point actually, forgot about that lukaku deal

Edit:
    Dunno how since im united. Brain fart

Sure we all have our issues 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

1 win in 14 for Paul Lambert.

It doesn’t take hindsight to know that it was a shockingly bad appointment, but he has outdone even himself with that performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Paully D wrote: »
    1 win in 14 for Paul Lambert.

It doesn’t take hindsight to know that it was a shockingly bad appointment, but he has outdone even himself with that performance.

Pity they didn't take O'Neill of our hands that time. Lambert must have been 5th or 6th choice.

Paddy Power got it spot on paying out the minute he was appointed for Stoke to go down only thought about it today when it did happen that was surely a dig at Bet365 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

rob316 wrote:
    What the **** was pardew doing with this lot. Sacked him a game earlier just maybe they'd have stayed up.

Each result for Moore is another nail in Pardew's coffin as a PL manager. His tenure at WBA was embarrassing. If the reports of how he treated Oliver Burke on the way to the City game are true, then he's a sham of man. Fair play to Moore for getting anything out of that team after their confidence must've been on the floor.

On a sidenote, did anyone spy Darren Moore's power stance on MOTD after the goal. Epic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    United should try extra hard to help relegate West Ham on Thursday.

That would be sweet.
    Unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Brilliant from Hughes after the game, set the usual narrative that the loss is nothing to do with him, its all the referees fault (this time). What a spoofer....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Each result for Moore is another nail in Pardew's coffin as a PL manager. His tenure at WBA was embarrassing. If the reports of how he treated Oliver Burke on the way to the City game are true, then he's a sham of man. Fair play to Moore for getting anything out of that team after their confidence must've been on the floor.

On a sidenote, did anyone spy Darren Moore's power stance on MOTD after the goal. Epic.

What did he do to Burke?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    Pete Moss wrote: »

Its a pity as no matter what they cant really stay up as Southampton/Swansea have to play each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    irishman86 wrote: »
    Its a pity as no matter what they cant really stay up as Southampton/Swansea have to play each other

That's clearly not right... it's still possible so to say 'no matter what' is wrong.

Southampton lose two and WBA win one and they can stay up. Southampton draw a game and WBA can still stay up depending on goal difference. It might be unlikely, but it is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

That's clearly not right... it's still possible so to say 'no matter what' is wrong.

Southampton lose two and WBA win one and they can stay up. Southampton draw a game and WBA can still stay up depending on goal difference. It might be unlikely, but it is possible.

Wba need the Southampton Swansea game to be a draw. They need to finish above both, not either. So if Southampton lose 2, it means Swansea are on 36 and wba cant catch that (or huddersfields 35 either)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    Mushy wrote: »
    Wba need the Southampton Swansea game to be a draw. They need to finish above both, not either. So if Southampton lose 2, it means Swansea are on 36 and wba cant catch that (or huddersfields 35 either)

Fair enough, it is possible with a draw though as you pointed out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton

Even with a draw the goal difference is six they need to beat Crystal Palace three nil and hope City do the same that along with a draw between Swansea/Southampton
    For me its over

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Fair enough, it is possible with a draw though as you pointed out.

Yeah meant to add in it is still possible. Likelihood is slim though.

• Advertisement

Ha with all the attention on Everton v Southampton for the more intriguing relegation concerns it appears the result also meant Burnley can't be caught and have secured European football next year, fair play to them :)

Ha with all the attention on Everton v Southampton for the more intriguing relegation concerns it appears the result also meant Burnley can't be caught and have secured European football next year, fair play to them :)

Two games a week for a long period could see them suffer unless they increase the squad size. But that's next season's worry, great achievement this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Two games a week for a long period could see them suffer unless they increase the squad size. But that's next season's worry, great achievement this year!

I doubt it. Pretty much all that squad spent a few years in the Championship so wouldn't be new for them to play twice a week. I think it was Kevin Long who said this a few weeks ago.

pjohnson wrote: »

I doubt it. Pretty much all that squad spent a few years in the Championship so wouldn't be new for them to play twice a week. I think it was Kevin Long who said this a few weeks ago.

True, but different when you've to fly around Europe for the games also! I wouldn't be putting money on a top 10 next year anyway, although probably wouldn't without the EL included too.

Even with a draw the goal difference is six they need to beat Crystal Palace three nil and hope City do the same that along with a draw between Swansea/Southampton
    For me its over

The goal difference to soton is 4 ( which is max of 3 if soton lose the game West Brom need them too for any of this to matter). They are 3 better off than swanses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Arsenal
    True, but different when you've to fly around Europe for the games also! I wouldn't be putting money on a top 10 next year anyway, although probably wouldn't without the EL included too.

Would have been some long bus journeys around England too though.

• Advertisement

Tbf I doubt Dyche will give a sh*te about Europe. He'll still prioritise the League but know that the money from that European run no matter how short will benefit the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

I'm only looking at the run in fixtures now and Huddersfield Town have a fun list of remaining games with their 3 remaining games coming against sides in the top 6.

Man City Away
    Chelsea Away
    Arsenal Home

It's not the run in that you'd hand pick if you had a choice but just one more win will be enough to keep them safe so plenty of motivation for them!

I'm only looking at the run in fixtures now and Huddersfield Town have a fun list of remaining games with their 3 remaining games coming against sides in the top 6.

Man City Away
    Chelsea Away
    Arsenal Home

It's not the run in that you'd hand pick if you had a choice but just one more win will be enough to keep them safe so plenty of motivation for them!

They'll be hoping for a draw between Swansea and Southampton as much as West Brom are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Huddersfield are all but safe even if it looks bad, Soton have to play City on the last day, I doubt they'll get three away to Swansea who also need to win to be sure. Arsenal are sh'it away which helps.

Edit they have scored just 27 goals - that's bad.

Arsenal are sh'it away which helps

Zero points away in 2018 :pac:

If West Ham can take all 3 away to Leicester surely Arsenal will as bad as they are. Would be so wrong to see them leave it to last day to relegate Huddersfield by picking up first away points this year there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement