Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well done Huddersfield that point could well be vital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Surreal scenes at the Etihad, pitch invasion from Huddersfield fans while city fans boo the players who are about to lift the league title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everton
    thelad95 wrote: »
    Surreal scenes at the Etihad, pitch invasion from Huddersfield fans while city fans boo the players who are about to lift the league title.

No they aren't. They are booing the pitch invaders (both City and Huddersfield) for "ruining" the trophy ceremony. Thought that was pretty obvious

They clearly want to see the players and their families enjoy the celebrations on the pitch

They have a history of it and were asked not to do it. Understandable against QPR and even against Swansea last month but not after a nil nil draw when the championship was secured basically months ago and it was a chance for the players to parade the trophy, not be surrounded by drunk 1diots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

pjohnson wrote: »
    Mushy wrote: »
    Two games a week for a long period could see them suffer unless they increase the squad size. But that's next season's worry, great achievement this year!

I doubt it. Pretty much all that squad spent a few years in the Championship so wouldn't be new for them to play twice a week. I think it was Kevin Long who said this a few weeks ago.
    But they'll be playing league games against teams who are not playing twice a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

How was that not a booking for Milner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The pitfalls of punditry:
    Yesterday Le Tissier said it was 'highly, highly unlikely' West Brom would score in injury time. Today Souness declared Huddersfield 'realistically' had no chance of getting anything out of the City game. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Chelsea legend Olivier Giroud with the header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

thelad95 wrote: »
    Were you actually taking any notice, or just making things up as you go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    Relieved that neither Spurs nor Liverpool punished United's poor result against Brighton. One point now against West Ham wraps up second place and if gained would mean Jose could rest whoever he wants in the final game. Don't think Chelsea can afford to rotate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Are United fans even bothered about finishing 2nd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    Lukker- wrote: »

I imagine most fans would find it rather bothersome if their team started dropping places. Given the team finished a very poor sixth last season, second place would represent healthy progress. Still lots of work needed to climb further next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

2nd, 3rd or 4th hardly matters when everyone is so far behind 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Liverpool
    The pitfalls of punditry:
    Yesterday Le Tissier said it was 'highly, highly unlikely' West Brom would score in injury time. Today Souness declared Huddersfield 'realistically' had no chance of getting anything out of the City game. :p

They're all dinosaurs and Sky would badly want to shake that format up big time.
    The lads on the panel today for the Championship (mcInally, Cottee, Mellor, Dowie) were calling each other out for their bad calls too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Not really but it would be annoying more than anything to be 2nd for the whole season and drop out of it in the last week or 2.

Everton
    razorblunt wrote: »
    They're all dinosaurs and Sky would badly want to shake that format up big time.
    The lads on the panel today for the Championship (mcInally, Cottee, Mellor, Dowie) were calling each other out for their bad calls too.

In fairness it was highly unlikely either of those events (WB scoring in injury time - they hadn't had a shot on goal in 90 minutes - and Huddersfield getting something from Man City) would happen.

At least they committed to their instincts rather than covering their predictions with all eventualities like many pundits do

• Everton
    Odds on Liverpool losing the CL final and dropping out of top 4?
    Worth a tenner after the result today....
    Would be good for lolz too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

In fairness it was highly unlikely either of those events (WB scoring in injury time - they hadn't had a shot on goal in 90 minutes - and Huddersfield getting something from Man City) would happen.

At least they committed to their instincts rather than covering their predictions with all eventualities like many pundits do

Yeah give me someone who will make a prediction instead of a fence sitter any day. For what it's worth I'd have gone along with those predictions as well. No way would I have given Huddersfield a chance before the game.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Odds on Liverpool losing the CL final and dropping out of top 4?
    Worth a tenner after the result today....
    Would be good for lolz too

Just a little bit too late from Chelsea unfortunately. Liverpool will win against Brighton, I've very little doubt about that. Had Brighton been in with a shout of going down then maybe but Liverpool will have something to play for and at home. Brighton will be congratulating themselves on staying up. Liverpool by 3 or 4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    Just a little bit too late from Chelsea unfortunately. Liverpool will win against Brighton, I've very little doubt about that. Had Brighton been in with a shout of going down then maybe but Liverpool will have something to play for and at home. Brighton will be congratulating themselves on staying up. Liverpool by 3 or 4.

Cant see it going any other way
    Even if it was away, i see it being Liverpool by 3 or 4

• Advertisement

If only football was so simple. History has shown that anything can happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A week will be enough to charge the batteries.

Chelsea have certainly been putting a good run together, fancy them for the cup the way bith teams are playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Its great for City to win the league comfortably with captain Kompany involved in so much of it. Old peanut head. Zero rivals in the PL era compared to Fergie/Wenger/Jose. Self made wealth is the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Oh no, Neil Warnock is back next season.

Find the man insufferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Oh no, Neil Warnock is back next season.

Find the man insufferable.

It's grand. He'll be sacked by Christmas. Think that's usually how long he lasts.

Great man for promotion, but doesn't seem to get the staying up part.

Everton
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    A week will be enough to charge the batteries.

Chelsea have certainly been putting a good run together, fancy them for the cup the way bith teams are playing.

United have beaten City, Arsenal and Spurs in the last few weeks. Chelsea (before yesterday) "good run" consisted of beating teams like Southampton, Swansea and Burnley by merely the odd goal.

Liverpool were very poor yesterday. Wouldn't get over excited about Chelsea's "good run"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

United have beaten City, Arsenal and Spurs in the last few weeks. Chelsea (before yesterday) "good run" consisted of beating teams like Southampton, Swansea and Burnley by merely the odd goal.

Liverpool were very poor yesterday. Wouldn't get over excited about Chelsea's "good run"

Utd have been playing fairly poorly I think. They may have had some good results but their general play has even their own supporters pulling their hair out at times.
    You also seem to conveniently forget them losing at home to West Brom and losing away to Brighton.
    Chelsea on the other hand have improved their consistency in the last few weeks. Since coming from 2 down away from home v Southampton to win, they have impressed.

As a unit, they are playing better than united and I reckon the cup will be won by them.

Everton
    I never forgot.

I merely listed a select group of teams Utd have beaten in the interim of Chelsea's winning run. The fact of the matter is, as proved against 3 said teams, United are capable of turning the screw up that little bit more. They have been most of the season against top teams whilst Chelsea have struggled generally against in matches against top 6 teams and considering how desperate Jose will be to win this one, on a narcissistic level, and his general record in finals, I can imagine the games against Brighton and WB will not impact too much on their mindset going into that match. Games like the City game when they were desperate not to hand over the title to City at OT and against Spurs where it was win or nothing, I would judge them more on those games than I would against the other aformentioned teams.

Anyway, at 9/4, Chelsea are a good price if you have a fair confidence in them winning. Personally I wouldn't be over confident in either team but I definitely would choose United over Chelsea if I had to predict the outcome

Anyway, at 9/4, Chelsea are a good price if you have a fair confidence in them winning. Personally I wouldn't be over confident in either team but I definitely would choose United over Chelsea if I had to predict the outcome

2/1 is the best I could get.

Apparently your bookie is better than mine.

Everton
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    2/1 is the best I could get.

Apparently your bookie is better than mine.

Ladbrokes were almost 5/2 in 90 minutes betting last week. Obviously weekend results changed that!

Ladbrokes were almost 5/2 in 90 minutes betting last week. Obviously weekend results changed that!

Last weeks odds not much good now though.
    2/1 will do me fine.

• Advertisement

I'd have United as favorites but 2/1 is decent value to be fair.

Think Lukaku could be the difference. If he isn't fit United will struggle. Looked ****e against Brighton without a him to lead the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    So according to Southampton, they were meant to be booked into a Swansea city hotel only to ring up before hand and find out their booking has been cancelled and now they're staying out in Cardiff, a good hour or more away before tonights game.

Funny thing is, they called the hotel back and tried to book rooms as regular people and were told their was rooms available, needless to say , they're not happy about it.

Strange that there was no other hotel available closer than Cardiff though.

Liverpool
    Think they mentioned whatever hotel it is in Swansea, is the only one deemed appropriate for PL visiting teams.

Id imagine you'd need 30+ rooms plus decent enough facilities.

Edit : Southampton were apparently told, due to a virus outbreak at the hotel, they couldnt use the 40 rooms they had booked but they were still accepting pubic bookings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Think they mentioned whatever hotel it is in Swansea, is the only one deemed appropriate for PL visiting teams.

Id imagine you'd need 30+ rooms plus decent enough facilities.

Edit : Southampton were apparently told, due to a virus outbreak at the hotel, they couldnt use the 40 rooms they had booked but they were still accepting pubic bookings.

Nothing suspicious there at all

Liverpool
    MrMac84 wrote: »
    Nothing suspicious there at all

Its a bit sh**y from the hotel TBH.

Its also probably sorted Hughes pre match talk, not that a relegation 6 pointer needs it but there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

GavRedKing wrote:
    Its also probably sorted Hughes pre match talk.

I thought he'd just fold his arms and look annoyed :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Everton
    ERG89 wrote:
    I thought he'd just fold his arms and look annoyed

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

That's all hope of it being a ten goal thriller dashed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Everton
    See the hotel put out a statement saying that there was an illness in the hotel and therefore had to notify large bookings and to find alternative accommodation if they wished ......

There have been no further illnesses since this

Can the hotel be reprimanded in any way I wonder ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ianob7 wrote: »
    See the hotel put out a statement saying that there was an illness in the hotel and therefore had to notify large bookings and to find alternative accommodation if they wished ......

There have been no further illnesses since this

Can the hotel be reprimanded in any way I wonder ???

What if the hotel said nothing Southampton land and some players get sick then the hotel would be blamed.

Hotel could not win either way

You wouldn't be astonished after watching that half that this game has relegation implications.
    No real atmosphere which could play into Southampton's hands the longer it stays 0-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

ERG89 wrote: »
    You wouldn't be astonished after watching that half that this game has relegation implications.
    No real atmosphere which could play into Southampton's hands the longer it stays 0-0.

Ya it's pathetic, Sky are some mugs then banging on about it all weekend saying it was going to be a thrilling encounter...20 minutes in and the commentator is saying it was never going to be a game of any true quality.

It has livened up in the last 5 mins hopefully continues...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    Good second half so far!

Liverpool
    Scrappy but they'll take it! 1-0 Southampton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Scrappy but they'll take it! 1-0 Southampton
    They probably deserve the win after their rotten luck at the weekend

Liverpool
    They probably deserve the win after their rotten luck at the weekend

Far better than Swansea tonight, though that's not saying much. Would prefer Southampton stay up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I should hope Swansea equalise.
    Would much prefer to see Carvalhal on the telly next season over Hughes. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Nice one. Swans dirty tricks didn't work.

• Advertisement

Mark Hughes celebrating his potential survival bonus like it's the birth of his first child.

Advertisement