Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    Happy for Southampton and Sparky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Does that mean WBA are gone??

Sparky still never been relegated 😉

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Sparky still never been relegated ��

Yeah, thank God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Sparky still never been relegated ��

Baggies are down yeah

Hughes played a big role in QPR a few years ago and Stoke this year being relegated though ;)

Very pedestrian stuff largely from the home side I'd question that moreso than shed praise on the Saints they did okay and got the result over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Delighted for Sparky and Southampton. I feel they have a lot to offer the Premier league so very happy for them.

The Swans had a plan when they got promoted but seemed to have lost their way over the last couple of seasons. I'd still much prefer to see them stay up than Huddersfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

eagle eye wrote: »
    The Swans had a plan when they got promoted but seemed to have lost their way over the last couple of seasons since appointing Bob Bradley

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Yeah, thank God.

Bit harsh.

West Brom have turned it round really well in the last month - and have quite a few very decent players. Shame they were sleepwalking through two thirds of the season.:pac:

I'd much rather see them stay up than Huddersfield or Swansea, they would add more quality to the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Struggling to see why Swansea are 1/3 to go down. Surely you'd expect Huddersfield to lost both remaining games...

Struggling to see why Swansea are 1/3 to go down. Surely you'd expect Huddersfield to lost both remaining games...

Huddersfield's last game is home to Arsenal.
    Literally anything could happen there.....Arsenal are just impossible to predict

But I'd fancy them to get the point they need in that game to stay up.

Last Sunday was Arsene's real swansong and they cant finish any higher in the table than where already are....so doubt the Gunners will be killing themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I wouldn't bet on Swansea to beat Stoke. It's like 8 or 9 losses in a row now, very poor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Bit harsh.

West Brom have turned it round really well in the last month - and have quite a few very decent players. Shame they were sleepwalking through two thirds of the season.:pac:

I'd much rather see them stay up than Huddersfield or Swansea, they would add more quality to the league.

not really harsh - West Brom have been dreadfull to watch in the Premiership - Moore has done a great job , but quality football from West Brom havs been in very short supply - I remember the team of Regis and Cunningham and they played good exciting ball

thebaz wrote: »
    not really harsh - West Brom have been dreadfull to watch in the Premiership - Moore has done a great job , but quality football from West Brom havs been in very short supply - I remember the team of Regis and Cunningham and they played good exciting ball

Have you watched Huddersfield or Swansea lately? :D
    Hardly quality stuff or easy to watch!

Yeah, take your point, West Brom had a poor season overall, but they have some quality, a lot more than a few sides above them - and are improved massively.
    They've taken 7 points off United, Spurs and Liverpool in the last month.

No chance any of the other teams around them doing that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I should hope Swansea equalise.
    Would much prefer to see Carvalhal on the telly next season over Hughes. :(

Yeah,there's just something about that hair transplant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    WBA must be wondering "what if" regarding Moores appointment.

They've had a serious bounce since they sacked Pardew, its impossible to know if they had done it 3-6 games earlier, if Moore would have kept them up but it does look like they would have at least being in with a chance on the last day.

Huddersfield are coming to the Bridge tonight and I think it will be a pretty tense game, Chelsea have to win to push Spurs/Pool to the last day and Huddersfield know a point or better from the next 2 games and they're safe, these are the kind of games Chelsea have struggled through for the last 2 or 3 months too so I wouldnt write them off just yet, their point against City at the weekend was huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'd be more inclined to think that Huddersfield would get the point they need at home to Arsenal who haven't got a single point away from home yet in 2018, with nothing to play for in the league, rather than Huddersfield getting a point away at the bridge when Chelsea have a lot to play for in the league.

Not getting my hopes up on Huddersfield getting anything tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

GavRedKing wrote: »

They've had a serious bounce since they sacked Pardew, its impossible to know if they had done it 3-6 games earlier, if Moore would have kept them up but it does look like they would have at least being in with a chance on the last day
    Can't have much sympathy for the WBA board. After the appointment of Pardew, they were going nowhere, but they were handed a great opportunity in February to run him, after the Boll1xology in Spain, lads including the manager on a binge and losing wallets/phones/hijacking taxis (allegedly).
    That was the time to run Pardew like a dog and reset. Instead, they dallied for another 2 months until it was too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

GavRedKing wrote: »

They've had a serious bounce since they sacked Pardew, its impossible to know if they had done it 3-6 games earlier, if Moore would have kept them up but it does look like they would have at least being in with a chance on the last day.

Huddersfield are coming to the Bridge tonight and I think it will be a pretty tense game, Chelsea have to win to push Spurs/Pool to the last day and Huddersfield know a point or better from the next 2 games and they're safe, these are the kind of games Chelsea have struggled through for the last 2 or 3 months too so I wouldnt write them off just yet, their point against City at the weekend was huge.

Chelsea will win Huddersfield were dead on their feet at the end of the City game at the weekend

Liverpool
    Can't have much sympathy for the WBA board. After the appointment of Pardew, they were going nowhere, but they were handed a great opportunity in February to run him, after the Boll1xology in Spain, lads including the manager on a binge and losing wallets/phones/hijacking taxis (allegedly).
    That was the time to run Pardew like a dog and reset. Instead, they dallied for another 2 months until it was too late.

I agree about Pardew alright, Moore seems to have done a good job of getting WBA to a decent level, it just came about half a dozen games too late for them to save themselves.

WBA wont be missed all that much, truth be told, neither will Stoke.

I'd probably prefer Huddersfield stay up over Swansea at this stage too, I think Wagner has done a good job there to be still in with a chance of surviving with 2 games to go, it is in their won hands at this stage.

Liverpool
    Chelsea will win Huddersfield were dead on their feet at the end of the City game at the weekend

All things being equal, we should win handy enough but Chelsea have made a habit of messing up these "easier" games all season.

A narrow Chelsea win is probably on the cards though, our goal scoring exploits, or lack of finishing off teams this year have been woeful and one of the main reasons we're not going to finish top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

GavRedKing wrote:

They must have spent the last month repeatedly saying that. But will they give him the job permanently??
    Its better than Stoke saying they needed to sack Hughes sooner. As if Lambert has been even remotely successful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Arsenal
    It's a 3 hour drive at best, could they not have headed back after the match or is it usual for teams to stay over night?

Liverpool
    Some teams will stay the night before games, that's where their problem was.

I'd imagine that they went straight home after the game last night to be in training this morning for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Allegedly this morning a lot of WBS’s senior players have pledged to stay if Moore gets the job full time so they bounce back ASAP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I would like to see Darren Moore get the job full time.He appears to have a very cool head and he has all the players on his side.

Liverpool
    Well WBA are down now so they might as well give Moore the job but the Championship is no easy league to bounce straight back up from.

If they did manage to keep the majority of players on the books under Moore they'ed be in a good place to do just that.

I would like to see Darren Moore get the job full time.He appears to have a very cool head and he has all the players on his side.

How many of these 'in-house' managerial appointments have worked out well in the long term though? I'm thinking of Craig Shakespeare, Ricky Sbragia, Steve Kean...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

How many of these 'in-house' managerial appointments have worked out well in the long term though? I'm thinking of Craig Shakespeare, Ricky Sbragia, Steve Kean...

Exactly.

Moore has done really well, but lets not get carried away. He's had the "new manager bounce" that most new guys on the block seem to get. If he's still getting good results 6 months into a job, then a fairer assessment could be made.

Also, I imagine the players were delighted that Pards was finally gone and with relegation looming, they upped their game - albeit way too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Liverpool
    FairPlay if they stay up and all but Huddersfield have to be the most boring team I've ever seen in the Premiership. Up there with Middlesbrough last year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lee Mason trolling Chelsea.
    0-0 in quiet sounding game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Ive done a silly bet and its not looking too bad so far :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Lee Mason trolling Chelsea.
    0-0 in quiet sounding game.

Thought it was a pretty poor decision to blow up, though what’s new when it comes to these lot of officials

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Will Chelsea be facing a charge of failing to control their players? It was a petty decision by the ref, but the crowding around the official doesn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

If there is an uglier goal this season than that Huddersfield one just now I missed it.

ERG89 wrote: »
    If there is an uglier goal this season than that Huddersfield one just now I missed it.
    The Chelsea equaliser was not a thing of beauty either. Alonso knew fcuk all about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    Save of the season from Lossl, IMO. Not just a brilliant save, but under such pressure too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Could have gone anywhere in all of that, great save

Sky sports news seems to be at least 50% ads tonight.😠

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

martyos121 wrote: »
    Save of the season from Lossl, IMO. Not just a brilliant save, but under such pressure too.

Could be the save that keeps them in the PL and Chelsea out of the CL.

Just amazing.
    Video here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Wagner Manager of the Year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    Huddersfield stay up! Well deserved for Wagner and the team. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Arsenals season has been nothing short of pathetic. Definitely in the top 5 worst managerial performances in a season in Prem era.

Brilliant from Huddersfield. Well deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just a point needed for Liverpool now at home to Brighton. Chelsea blew any slim chance tonight

• Everton
    Terrible season for Conte and Chelsea
    Enjoyable result

That's a bad result for Chelsea. Liverpool favourite to nab the last CL spot now. They only need a draw against Brighton on sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    blueser wrote: »
    That's a bad result for Chelsea. Liverpool favourite to nab the last CL spot now. They only need a draw against Brighton on sunday.

Were they not favourite before tonight :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Everton
    So nothing to play for on the last day really. Liverpool need a point and a 9 goal swing between Southampton and Swansea. Most boring final day i can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Really impressive from Huddersfield to stay up.
    Their squad is arguably the worst in the league.

On-pitch presentation for toure. Better involve a massive cake!:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement