Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Make it so..David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Is that the first time all three promoted teams have stayed up in the PL era?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

There's a real chance of Chelsea drifting back into the 'best of the rest' zone of 8th to 5th place over the next couple of seasons. I can't see the star names putting up with this instability much longer and they don't have that superiority in financial firepower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Berserker wrote: »
    Is that the first time all three promoted teams have stayed up in the PL era?

Third time - 01/02 and 11/12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Liverpool
    David Wagner is easily the manager of the season. Look at that squad he has and it's mid to lower level Championship standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Liverpool
    sabat wrote: »
    There's a real chance of Chelsea drifting back into the 'best of the rest' zone of 8th to 5th place over the next couple of seasons. I can't see the star names putting up with this instability much longer and they don't have that superiority in financial firepower.

5th in 2012, 10th in 2016, more than likely 5th 2018. In between those seasons 1st twice - I’ll take that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Garzorico wrote: »
    5th in 2012, 10th in 2016, more than likely 5th 2018. In between those seasons 1st twice - I’ll take that.

I wouldn’t be holding my breath thinking the pattern is going to repeat itself. Vladivostok on a Thursday night tends to be a bit of a drain. They bottled it tonight and will pay big time next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Liverpool
    Deise Vu wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be holding my breath thinking the pattern is going to repeat itself. Vladivostok on a Thursday night tends to be a bit of a drain. They bottled it tonight and will pay big time next season.

Ah sure many a team has won the league while playing European matches. Short termism wins leagues everywhere all the time. It’s no big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Were they not favourite before tonight :confused:
    My mistake. You are correct. The GD would still swing it In Liverpool's favour, as I can see both of them winning their final games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Deise Vu wrote:
    They bottled it tonight and will pay big time next season.

(a)It was not in their hands to "bottle it" & (b)They'll play reserve sides in it next season like Arsenal did for most of it so it won't take much out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Remarkable away record by Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

ERG89 wrote: »
    (a)It was not in their hands to "bottle it" & (b)They'll play reserve sides in it next season like Arsenal did for most of it so it won't take much out of them.

Starting 15 minutes earlier they had a chance to really put pressure on Spurs. They could also have made Liverpool play for a win on Sunday. They were playing a team potentially facing relegation but who still had a couple of escape routes. That was definitely a bottle job.

The problem with the EL isn’t so much that you play your first team. There will be huge changes from the weekend matches but they they will still have to have a few senior players plus reserves on the bench to avoid embarrassment. Then the entire management team has to attend. That’s potentially two or three days of the week when managemt and half the first team are flying to and from Vladivostok. That’s a long way from having a week to prepare for your next league match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Garzorico wrote: »

The overall quality of the squad has been eroded and the core of the the golden Abramovich years is now totally gone though-take out Hazard, Courtois and Kante (not unthinkable this summer) and there's a real lack of quality in depth. Without Champions league, erratic management and the same money or better available elsewhere, they're no longer as attractive a proposition as they were even 2 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Wenger going out in true Wenger style, moaning about refs...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Man Utd
    Wenger going out in true Wenger style, moaning about refs...:rolleyes:

In fairness both the sending off and the penalty were harsh calls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Isnt Karma great ?
    Poor Chelsea bottle their Champions league opportunity against a relegation threatened side.
    Fair play to them for "Putting Pressure" on the top team in London though , maybe they need to change the manager and spend a load of oil money ? ....

COYS.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    greenspurs wrote: »
    Isnt Karma great ?
    Poor Chelsea bottle their Champions league opportunity against a relegation threatened side.
    Fair play to them for "Putting Pressure" on the top team in London though , maybe they need to change the manager and spend a load of oil money ? ....

COYS.

:pac:

Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    GavRedKing wrote: »

Brilliant

:pac: I wonder when the Parade will be

Brilliant

Check the League table if you don't believe it ..... :D

astradave wrote: »
    :pac: I wonder when the Parade will be

the same day as the DVD release ........ ;)

#Chokers

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    the same day as the DVD release ........ ;)

#Chokers

Says the Spurs fan :D

Man Utd
    #Chokers

black-kettle.jpg?w=150&h=115

Says the Spurs fan :D

Yep...

Karma is great isn't it....... Bottlers.

Quazzie wrote: »
    black-kettle.jpg?w=150&h=115

At least they were the second best team in London....... They could put that on their Season review DvD .....

Liverpool
    I'd consider trophies and success as metrics to decide the "top teams" in a region.

By that criteria, Spurs are by some way off being a top team, l;et alone the best in London.

I'd go out on a limb and say Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs all have the same chance of winning the CL next year too.

This season, my friend. Spurs are the top team in London. If you want to go back through history, as you are inclined to do , I reckon Spurs will still trump Chelsea.

And don't be silly, how can 2 teams not in it , win it !!! Ha haaaaa... Even allowing for the sarcasm, its neither funny or even witty. But i'll allow you some rope due to the disappointment of 'blowing it' , and 'bottling it' against a bottom 6 club.....
    Spurs have a slim chance of winning the C.L , due to being in it, the other 2 aren't.

COYS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

I'd consider trophies and success as metrics to decide the "top teams" in a region.

By that criteria, Spurs are by some way off being a top team, l;et alone the best in London.

I'd go out on a limb and say Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs all have the same chance of winning the CL next year too.

Spurs are the top team in London this season, that is a fact. The table does not lie after 38 games.

Liverpool
    Few seasons in the CL and Spurs acting like Billy big bo**ocks, what a time to be alive. :D

Liverpool
    Yep...

Karma is great isn't it....... Bottlers.

I love how you probably think I’m a Chelsea fan :pac:

Few seasons in the CL and Spurs acting like Billy big bo**ocks, what a time to be alive. :D

Must hurt. :pac:

Little steps, not Big money.

• Advertisement

No acting here buddy, Spurs will finish as the highest placed London. Whatever way you want to spin it that is a fact. Grow up ffs.

I love how you probably think I’m a Chelsea fan :pac:

You love, how I PROBABLY think ?!??

You know how I probably think, maybe, .....

I don't probably think you are at all......
    and I probably think that it was nice of you to reply :D

KingdomYid wrote: »
    No acting here buddy, Spurs will finish as the highest placed London. Whatever way you want to spin it that is a fact. Grow up ffs.

You would have to accept that it really hurts for a regular Top4 club to finish in 5th, behind a small club such as Tottenham.
    We remember how we were ridiculed for our Club to 'bottle it' .

Little steps, not Big money.. COYS

Liverpool
    You love, how I PROBABLY think ?!??

You know how I probably think, maybe, .....

I don't probably think you are at all......
    and I probably think that it was nice of you to reply :D

You know, I knew that was going to get called up on, but I could not have been bothered changing it :D

You know, I knew that was going to get called up on, but I could not have been bothered changing it :D

I forgive you...... :D

You would have to accept that it really hurts for a regular Top4 club to finish in 5th, behind a small club such as Tottenham.
    We remember how we were ridiculed for our Club to 'bottle it' .

Little steps, not Big money.. COYS

It really does irritate them that is for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Must hurt. :pac:

Little steps, not Big money.

Spurs need to start paying the wages of a CL club now.

The likes of Alli, Kane and Ericsson are all paid quite low compared to what they could earn elsewhere. Kane is reported to be on £100k while Lingard, a squad player at united is on £120k.

If City or United came in and offered to double any of their salaries you'd imagine they'd leave. And both would be able to afford Levy's asking price as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Spurs are a mid sized club who have never won a game of consequence at the elite level in my lifetime. Seeming to be happy with 'Top team in London this year' says a lot. Chelsea fans know what it's like to win league titles as recently as last year. Know what it's like to be in the last and biggest game of the club season and win it as recently as 2012. They're a huge club, a big dog of the modern game. Spurs just don't compare. Though Spurs fans might have trouble understanding that, because they've never tasted real success unless they're of an elderly persuasion. icon14.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Yet another prick waving thread.

ce1sdp6n2ppujmyh7fun.gif

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Spurs are a mid sized club who have never won a game of consequence at the elite level in my lifetime. Seeming to be happy with 'Top team in London this year' says a lot. Chelsea fans know what it's like to win league titles as recently as last year. Know what it's like to be in the last and biggest game of the club season and win it as recently as 2012. They're a huge club, a big dog of the modern game. Spurs just don't compare. Though Spurs fans might have trouble understanding that, because they've never tasted real success unless they're of an elderly persuasion. icon14.png

Give any club billions and they could be a Chelsea, I am not arguing that. In my lifetime Spurs have been mostly rubbish so forgive me for being happy with the progress at the moment. Chelsea would not be a 'huge' club as you put it without the Russian money. For the record I was not celebrating wildly last night, as I looking to win a trophy this season and am kind of disappointed. But still making Champions league whilst being away from home all year is a great achievement, considering we also played quite poorly for spells throughout the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Give any club billions and they could be a Chelsea, I am not arguing that. In my lifetime Spurs have been mostly rubbish so forgive me for being happy with the progress at the moment. Chelsea would not be a 'huge' club as you put it without the Russian money. For the record I was not celebrating wildly last night, as I looking to win a trophy this season and am kind of disappointed. But still making Champions league whilst being away from home all year is a great achievement, considering we also played quite poorly for spells throughout the year.

How Chelsea got there is irrelevant. They got there, won it all, stayed there and won some more. I massively envy them their success of the last 15 years and I have no doubt that they'll be back all guns blazing next year. It's grand to finish ahead of them but hardly zeitgeist shifting.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    How Chelsea got there is irrelevant. They got there, won it all, stayed there and won some more. I massively envy them their success of the last 15 years and I have no doubt that they'll be back all guns blazing next year. It's grand to finish ahead of them but hardly zeitgeist shifting.

To me it is totally relevant but I guess we will agree to differ on that one. I would not consider them a huge club like United or Liverpool.

You do understand how progression works ?
    Tottenham don't have the Petro-millions of City and Chelsea, don't have the worldwide mega-fanbase that Utd and Pool have.
    But , they are building, little by little . They are over achieving compared to the mega spending clubs, and the massive wages they award their players.
    It is a work in progress.
    3rd year in a row in the Champs league , and a new stadium next season.
    And hopefully next season another step will be taken, by winning something.
    Spurs fans are used to Hope, and disappointment in equal measure. We now have the future being mapped out. And it looks good.
    Are we not allowed to enjoy ?
    COYS

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Thread gets busy when a couple of spurs fans, all of a sudden, start posting and celebrating being the' best team in London'.
    I would say how the mighty have fallen, but as we all know, they were never that mighty.
    Must turn on sky for the parade and buy the dvd.

Spurs now have their future mapped out..... yeah, because it's that easy.
    Ye will have a nice new stadium though.
    Maybe ye will win the nicest stadium award and have a parade around it....wont that be nice.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Thread gets busy when a couple of spurs fans, all of a sudden, start posting and celebrating being the' best team in London'.
    I would say how the mighty have fallen, but as we all know, they were never that mighty.

Maybe ye will win the nicest stadium award and have a parade around it....wont that be nice.

Who pissed on your cornflakes this morning? I don't think Spurs ever claimed to be mighty. They are the top placed London team this season and that is a fact, another certain London club has celebrated finishing above Spurs for years so it's all just a bit of fun. Maybe lighten up a bit there buddy.

• Advertisement

Man Utd

They'll be able to watch the DVDs on their big screens. Reportedly the biggest screens in any stadium in Europe.

They'll be able to watch the DVDs on their big screens. Reportedly the biggest screens in any stadium in Europe.

The biggest stadium in North London also, isn't that superb haha. Enjoy your Thursday night games next season ;)

HAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Bitter much ???
    Don't eat so much sour grapes ! Chokers ..
    COYS .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Liverpool

And it'll have a cheese room. To remember their working class roots.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Chelsea can still win an FA Cup lads. If they do that's more than Spurs have won this season. Maybe tone down the celebrations until after the final?

• Advertisement
Advertisement