Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Chelsea can still win an FA Cup lads. If they do that's more than Spurs have won this season. Maybe tone down the celebrations until after the final?

I am not celebrating anything, was only stating a fact and having a bit of a laugh. Will be a United supporter that day though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,107 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Liverpool
    Grim reality is London clubs have been a distant second to the achievements of the North West Clubs this year.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

No celebrations, just stated a fact.

Its not my problem bitterness wont allow us enjoy being the Top team in London. And we know there is no trophy for that, just bragging rights . Are we allowed brag a wee bit ?

Little Steps. COYS

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

greenspurs wrote: »
    Are we not allowed to enjoy ?
    COYS
    I think Spurs are right to enjoy this; they've done very well over the last number of seasons.

This issue is, it's on an edge whether it goes right or wrong in the near future(so competitive between those Top6 teams, with City holding a huge edge towards the very top). Will Spurs be able to keep Kane and the coach this summer (esp if Real lose the CL final). How will they settle into the new stadium? Will they strengthen compared to those around them? Will the wage structure force moves from players if clubs start to target them?

Reasons to be positive, but it can go wrong quickly as well.

Reasons to be positive, but it can go wrong quickly as well.

Ohh, we are well aware of that. We've had many false dawns in the last 15 years.
    That's why we enjoy what we can. The progress is slow, but its moving forward. Little steps as I have said before.
    Qualifying for Champs league 3 years in a row, finishing ahead of arsenal, and now finishing ahead of arsenal AND chelsea.
    That is progress. Not on the scale of the progress that city and chelsea made over 2-3 seasons , going from average teams to near galactico levels and challenging (and winning) for trophies, but due to the financial constraints in place at the club, it is steady progress.
    Isnt progress good ?

Liverpool
    Spurs nearly won the league a couple of years ago, don't see how this season is a progression? They certainly weren't anywhere near it this year.

Spurs nearly won the league a couple of years ago, don't see how this season is a progression? They certainly weren't anywhere near it this year.

Please read above how I think they are progressing ....

That season arsenal finished above them.....
    Spurs finished with 70 points, they have 74 this season (with 1 game left to play)
    19 wins that year - 22 this year.

progress ?

Liverpool
    Please read above how I think they are progressing ....

That season arsenal finished above them.....
    Spurs finished with 70 points, they have 74 this season (with 1 game left to play)
    19 wins that year - 22 this year.

progress ?

Bottom line is Tottenham are significantly further away from silverware. Your view of progress is just different to mine. Finishing above Arsenal isn't progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Bottom line is Tottenham are significantly further away from silverware. Your view of progress is just different to mine. Finishing above Arsenal isn't progress.

City and United will be very hard to top next season. If Liverpool invest wisely then they've a good shout at Top 4. If Spurs hold onto Kane, Alli etc same goes for them.

Arsenal and Chelsea will be two unknowns with new managers and probably a few changes in players.

"Significantly further away" ........ than when ? 1990s ? early 00's ? 2015 ?
    can you explain ?

Yes, yes it is...... And the same view the supporters of most football clubs have. Progression , however small, is progression.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    "Significantly further away" ........ than when ? 1990s ? early 00's ? 2015 ?
    can you explain ?

Yes, yes it is...... And the same view the supporters of most football clubs have. Progression , however small, is progression.

Didn't really think explanation was required, but okay, here is my view. Which, as I've said, is clearly not the same as yours.

Pretend you didn't nearly win the league a couple of years ago then, yes, Spurs have made progress.

However, some people would see getting further away from winning the league since then as regression, however small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    City and United will be very hard to top next season. If Liverpool invest wisely then they've a good shout at Top 4. If Spurs hold onto Kane, Alli etc same goes for them.

Arsenal and Chelsea will be two unknowns with new managers and probably a few changes in players.

The way it is now, the current top 4 would be favourites to be there again next year.

Chelsea are closer than Arsenal who have been abysmal on the road under Wenger but they'll surely turn that around next season, as you said, both are likely to have new managers.

Again, next season its going to be 6 teams playing for 4 spots, so 2 teams will be disappointed this time next year.

Everton, might make a push into the top 6 but I cant see them breaking the current top 4, it would need 3 of the 6 teams to have awful seasons for that to happen but talking about next season without the knowledge of a transfer window under any of the clubs belt, is moot at this stage.

Didn't really think explanation was required, but okay, here is my view. Which, as I've said, is clearly not the same as yours.

Pretend you didn't nearly win the league a couple of years ago then, yes, Spurs have made progress.

However, some people would see getting further away from winning the league since then as regression, however small.

You don't make sense .....
    How is finishing 3rd with 70th points better than finishing 4th (or 3rd) with 74 (or75 0r 77 depending on last day results)

So will Leicester always be in regression ? because they were first and now will always finish lower?
    If Man city win the league again next year, but 'only' reach 96 points and 'only' score 95 goals, will that be a poor season for them and a sign of regression.

You can try to twist it to suit you bias, but most football followers would recognise that Tottenham are progressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    How is finishing 3rd with 70th points better than finishing 4th (or 3rd) with 74 (or75 0r 77 depending on last day results)

So will Leicester always be in regression ? because they were first and now will always finish lower?
    If Man city win the league again next year, but 'only' reach 96 points and 'only' score 95 goals, will that be a poor season for them and a sign of regression.

You can try to twist it to suit you bias, but most football followers would recognise that Tottenham are progressing.

Well if you are to use the points metric ye would have regressed from 2nd and 86pts last season.. with 86goals scored to 69(so far)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think 3rd is higher than 4th.......open to correction mind.

astradave wrote: »
    Well if you are to use the points metric ye would have regressed from 2nd and 86pts last season.. with 86goals scored to 69(so far)

Tom mann made the comparison of the year Leicester won the league.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I think 3rd is higher than 4th.......open to correction mind.

Can still finish 3rd,
    and are 3rd at the moment....... (also More wins and more points won)

carry on.

Liverpool
    Tom mann made the comparison of the year Leicester won the league.

And you made a point of the points difference as not being a sign of regression. So do you see this season as a sign of regression?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You do understand how progression works ?

"progression"? 3rd to 2nd to 3rd/4th with a min drop of 9 points from last season.

A trophy of some description would be progression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

HAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Bitter much ???
    Don't eat so much sour grapes ! Chokers ..
    COYS .

You're quoting a Liverpool fan there, I doubt he's bitter in the slightest about Spur's season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Man Utd
    Top team in London, ahead of a team in a final that Spurs couldn't get to. Ahead of a team who won the league last year. Ahead a team who won the FA cup last year. Fair dues tho. That 3rd place trophy must feel brilliant.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Don’t see anything wrong with Spurs fans being happy with where they are finishing and giving a bit back. They’ve had to put up with the Totteringhams Day and other nonsense over the years. There was plenty of Liverpool fans “celebrating” finishing above United the odd time. It’s what happens in rivalries.

They’ve established themselves as a top 4 club without getting involved in the silly money and playing football that is good to watch. Fair play to them.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Top team in London, ahead of a team in a final that Spurs couldn't get to. Ahead of a team who won the league last year. Ahead a team who won the FA cup last year. Fair dues tho. That 3rd place trophy must feel brilliant.:rolleyes:

If there was a trophy it would be fantastic, still enjoy your Thursday night football next season ;). How is that FA Cup win working out for you guys?? guess you wouldn't swap it for Champions League football would you??

Don’t see anything wrong with Spurs fans being happy with where they are finishing and giving a bit back. They’ve had to put up with the Totteringhams Day and other nonsense over the years. There was plenty of Liverpool fans “celebrating” finishing above United the odd time. It’s what happens in rivalries.

They’ve established themselves as a top 4 club without getting involved in the silly money and playing football that is good to watch. Fair play to them.

Finally somebody gets it. I don't think football 'fans' on here appreciate the hate Spurs have towards Chelsea, and years of ridicule gives us the right to give a bit back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Finally somebody gets it. I don't think football 'fans' on here appreciate the hate Spurs have towards Chelsea, and years of ridicule gives us the right to give a bit back.

The point that the balance of ridicule remains firmly in the favour of Chelsea fans, a modern behemoth when compared to a middling club like Spurs. You won a minor battle, but you've been losing the war decisively for two decades and beyond. It's important that you are reminded of that, that's all icon14.png

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The point that the balance of ridicule remains firmly in the favour of Chelsea fans, a modern behemoth when compared to a middling club like Spurs. You won a minor battle, but you've been losing the war decisively for two decades and beyond. It's important that you are reminded of that, that's all icon14.png

For me its about the now not about what has happened in the last 20 years. That is gone and past. You are funny man calling us a middling club and proves you have no idea about football and your argument cannot be taken seriously.

If that makes you feel better to remind us , Bully for you ! :rolleyes:
    chelseas history only started when the Russia Mafia oil baron took over ?

Quazzie wrote: »

I thought there was only a 4th Place trophy ? isn't that what the arsenal celebrated ?? :rolleyes:
    But yeh, if there is a trophy (would it be bronze?) , we will take it !!
    Parade here we come !!! ....
    " Oooooh when the Spurs ......... " :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    I’d like to take this opportunity to say I hate all London clubs equally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Spurs don't have the budget to win the league or go anywhere in Europe, they have established themselves as a Top 4 club and broke the traditional Top 4 but that's it. Haven't come close to winning anything.
    I have no hate towards them but I feel soon key players are going to push for moves away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,225 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Rooney off to the MLS, where the pace will suit him better.

Bad signing by Everton. He should have gone straight to America by right.

You're quoting a Liverpool fan there, I doubt he's bitter in the slightest about Spur's season!

Really ?
    After all their crap about Kane and the Golden Boot ?

Pool fans are always bitter ... ;)

martyos121 wrote: »
    I’d like to take this opportunity to say I hate all London clubs equally.

And they all hate you, unequivocally ....

:D:p Do you like chips 'n gravy ?

Liverpool
    Really ?
    After all their crap about Kane and the Golden Boot ?

Pool fans are always bitter ... ;)

Liverpool have a champions league final to look forward to, why would they care?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

rob316 wrote: »
    Spurs don't have the budget to win the league or go anywhere in Europe, they have established themselves as a Top 4 club and broke the traditional Top 4 but that's it. Haven't come close to winning anything.
    I have no hate towards them but I feel soon key players are going to push for moves away.

The year Leicester won the league was probably their best chance. No City, Chelsea, United in that title race and against a team that had no experience.
    Spurs have had an ok season; got out of the group in Europe, top 4 spot although are back points wise from last year. Being better than 2 sides who are clearly sacking their managers, one of whom lost 7 away games in a row ain't a great boast.
    Looking at how far City are ahead of the pack as a Liverpool fan I don't consider our domestic season to be anything great, European run is the clear highlight.

Liverpool have a champions league final to look forward to, why would they care?

You would have to ask 'them' ........

(not to mention that Spurs went ahead of them in the League also! )

KingdomYid wrote: »
    For me its about the now not about what has happened in the last 20 years. That is gone and past. You are funny man calling us a middling club and proves you have no idea about football and your argument cannot be taken seriously.

The now is no trophies. Until that changes spurs will be looked on as a nearly team. The history books will have a line of zeros beside the amount times this team won trophies and finishing above the other London clubs won't be remembered even by spurs fans.

Liverpool
    If that makes you feel better to remind us , Bully for you ! :rolleyes:
    chelseas history only started when the Russia Mafia oil baron took over ?

Well not really, even just taking into the time when Spurs last won the FA cup in 91 until the time when Abromovich took over, Chelsea have won 2 FA cups 1 league Cup, a Super cup and a cup winners cup. During that same period of time Spurs won a league cup.. even going back further the history isn’t that much different apart from Spurs FA cup wins

rob316 wrote: »

What budget did Leicester have in 2016?

Liverpool
    You would have to ask 'them' ........

(not to mention that Spurs went ahead of them in the League also! )

No need to ask them. Liverpool have had an excellent season, Top 4 for the second year running (1 point needed against Brighton), best front three in the league, smashing records in the CL and a Champions League final in two weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What budget did Leicester have in 2016?

That is a total anomaly, the clubs with the biggest budgets generally win the league.

ERG89 wrote: »
    The year Leicester won the league was probably their best chance. No City, Chelsea, United in that title race and against a team that had no experience.

Don't forget Spurs had no experience of a title race either and were a really young side.

Well not really, even just taking into the time when Spurs last won the FA cup in 91 until the time when Abromovich took over, Chelsea have won 2 FA cups 1 league Cup, a Super cup and a cup winners cup. During that same period of time Spurs won a league cup.. even going back further the history isn’t that much different apart from Spurs FA cup wins

FFS , we had the likes of Bunjecevic, Justin edinbugh , gudni bergsson , Acimovic Tarricco , Ronnie Rosenthal playing for us !! :D

Wouldn't have beaten the Chelsea ladies team !! :rolleyes::D
    Spurs were lucky to not have been in liquidation then, it was a really bad time!

Liverpool
    FFS , we had the likes of Bunjecevic, Justin edinbugh , gudni bergsson , Acimovic Tarricco , Ronnie Rosenthal playing for us !! :D

Wouldn't have beaten the Chelsea ladies team !! :rolleyes::D
    Spurs were lucky to not have been in liquidation then, it was a really bad time!

But your point was about Chelsea’s history only starting when Abromovich took over.. your point is wrong. It’s also nothing to do with the players Spurs had :D

No need to ask them. Liverpool have had an excellent season, Top 4 for the second year running (1 point needed against Brighton), best front three in the league, smashing records in the CL and a Champions League final in two weeks time.

Apart from the Champs lge final . .... Is that not similar to Spurs last 2 seasons ?
    Champs lge 3 years in a row, Golden boot winner 2 years in a row.
    Topped their Champs lge group
    Out of the last 7 Young players of the Year have been won 5 times by Spurs players.

Anyway, I'm happy with how the Club are progressing.
    "Hes magic you know..."

COYS

But your point was about Chelsea’s history only starting when Abromovich took over.. your point is wrong. It’s also nothing to do with the players Spurs had :D

They won 8 trophies before 98 !

Liverpool

The oft heard sound of greenspurs moving the goalposts. Again.

The oft heard sound of greenspurs moving the goalposts. Again.

Again... ?

Do explain.

Liverpool

Abromovich took over in July 2003 ;)

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    Again... ?

Do explain.

It's an adverb.

Advertisement