Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

niallo27 wrote: »
    Jesus this is painful to watch.

You should know by now if United are playing that turning it on is a bad idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I just don't see what Mourinho is trying to do, he doesn't have a set team or style. Creative players look absolutely clueless.

Miles away from city like the rest of the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Second is the new first lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

rob316 wrote: »
    I just don't see what Mourinho is trying to do, he doesn't have a set team or style. Creative players look absolutely clueless.

Miles away from city like the rest of the top 4.

Is it not worrying that an aimless, floundering United and Mourinho are finishing comfortably ahead of the likes of Klopp’s swashbuckling Liverpool and Pochettino’s much lauded and stylish Spurs.

Is it not worrying that an aimless, floundering United and Mourinho are finishing comfortably ahead of the likes of Klopp’s swashbuckling Liverpool and Pochettino’s much lauded and stylish Spurs.

Comfortably? 6 points your talking. Mourinho operating on an entirely different budget to the above managers too.
    Whatever about Spurs but Liverpool have been distracted from the league with a euro campaign so it's entirely possible that gap of a whole 6 points would be a lot less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool

The response to that is usually something about money spent etc, as if the other teams are paupers buying guys on free contracts.

Edit: Called it. :pac:

rob316 wrote: »
    Comfortably? 6 points your talking. Mourinho operating on an entirely different budget to the above managers too.
    Whatever about Spurs but Liverpool have been distracted from the league with a euro campaign.

It’s been comfortable. There’s been no pressure on United for a long time now, probably contributing to the lacklustre performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Are Utd supporters happy with the appalling football they are sitting through every three or four days? Salford City probably play in a more progressive manner. At least Liverpool are not a substitute for Mogadon and have proper cup final to look forward to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    The response to that is usually something about money spent etc, as if the other teams are paupers buying guys on free contracts.

Edit: Called it. :pac:

Was the fact that City spent more than United not a reason given to as why they finished above United? Along with City having a better base to build from?

Obviously if it is true in that case it would be the same for United finishing above Liverpool/Spurs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal

No not in the slightest, utd have been quiet stagnant all season. I can't see it magically improving next season to challenge. Spurs are spurs they will win **** all but every chance Liverpool will pass out utd next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think the point is more that they've achieved second in spite of a lack of clear cohesive attacking plan, rather than because of it. There's a brilliant, expensively assembled, squad of players there, who even left to their own devices are able to win a hell of a lot of football matches. This squad is well capable of 90+ points. I would have thought it would be frustrating to see them finish in the 70's.

Mourinho certainly adds defensive cohesion and structure, but at the other end of the field it's all looked a bit off-the-cuff. Sometimes it works out, and some of those brilliant players put together something brilliant, but I never get the feeling that those cohesive attacking patterns of play that create tonnes of chances for other teams are even on the table here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It's sad when people have to console themselves with "yeah but what if"

Takes away some of the fun of laughing at the overinflated sense of self importance they have. :(

Piss and moan all you want. It's nothing new when it comes to united from opposition fans, **** it was worse when you could genuinely feel they were starting to sympathize!

Plenty of work to do to close the gap to city but a damn sight closer than anybody else in the league to them and I'd happily place a wager on United being the closest to them next season too if city maintain their dominance.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    What kind of person bets on their team to come in second place? :pac:

Are Utd supporters happy with the appalling football they are sitting through every three or four days? Salford City probably play in a more progressive manner. At least Liverpool are not a substitute for Mogadon and have proper cup final to look forward to

I enjoyed when they beat Liverpool, City, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea...
    The appalling games have been mostly since there’s been nothing to play for in the league apart from pride in the bigger games where they have shown up.

If City didn’t get so far ahead and there was something to play for, I imagine it wouldn’t have been so bad.

2nd 3rd 4th there's no difference. No one came near city all season.

• Advertisement

Take De Gea out and Utd are little better than midtable. Its rare that a side is so reliant on a keeper to be competitive.

No not in the slightest, utd have been quiet stagnant all season. I can't see it magically improving next season to challenge. Spurs are spurs they will win **** all but every chance Liverpool will pass out utd next season.

Sure there’s every chance they won’t too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Premier league at end of season when there's little to play for is pretty boring generally.

martyos121 wrote: »
    What kind of person bets on their team to come in second place? :pac:

I'd say a person who can't read might bet on anything possibly, what kind of bets have you had yourself?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Take De Gea out and Utd are little better than midtable. Its rare that a side is so reliant on a keeper to be competitive.

Well that just tells me you’ve seen f*ck all of United this season. Pure ignorance.

• Advertisement

Your in the wrong season there mike

Liverpool
    I'd say a person who can't read might bet on anything possibly, what kind of bets have you had yourself?

Well I’ve bet on my team to win the Champions League final. Have you?

Oh......right.....:o

De Gea xG stats are amazing. He is the difference

De Gea xG stats are amazing. He is the difference

Take Salah out of Liverpool and where would they be? Such a dumb argument that’s popping up here all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Ah lads, did the Chelsea and Spurs pissing contest make ye feel left out or something.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    I have never seen a 2nd place finish being celebrated so much. I'm nearly expecting an open top bus at this stage.

I have never seen a 2nd place finish being celebrated so much. I'm nearly expecting an open top bus at this stage.

Who’s celebrating?

Liverpool
    Spurs (2016/17) = 2nd
    Spurs (2017/18) = 3rd or 4th

Liverpool (2016/17) = 4th
    Liverpool (2017/18) = 3rd or 4th

Man United (2016/17) = 6th
    Man United (2017/18) = 2nd

If you are not blinded by prejudice then it's easy to see which of the above sides has had the best improvement domestically.

Spurs (2016/17) = 2nd

If you are not blinded by prejudice then it's easy to see which of the above sides has had the best improvement domestically.

Yeah but there’s no difference in 2nd and 4th because it’s United that came 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Where's match of the day lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool

You on the beer again?

Take Salah out of Liverpool and where would they be? Such a dumb argument that’s popping up here all the time.

Liverpool finished 4th with 76 points last season without Salah. The thing about goal scorers in a well set up attack is that if one doesn't another will. Utd do not have a good defence set up - they have a world class keeper who's shot stopping % is tremendous. Mourinho's reputation about shape and stickability is now a lie. It's just De Gea being de Gea.

Liverpool
    Spurs (2016/17) = 2nd

Liverpool also got to a CL final this season, whereas United won the EL last season.

So Liverpool have maintained their PL position and improved massively in Europe.

United improved in the league but fell away a bit in Europe.

Still good seasons from both teams.

Liverpool
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    Liverpool also got to a CL final this season, whereas United won the EL last season.

So Liverpool have maintained their PL position and improved massively in Europe.

United improved in the league but fell away a bit in Europe.

Still good seasons from both teams.

I said "domestically". There's no doubt Liverpool have had the better European campaign. I can acknowledge that as a fair man. Pity some Liverpool fans can't acknowledge United have been better in England.

Liverpool
    Spurs (2016/17) = 2nd

F671-FCL512-MB-2.jpg

Fair is fair, you’ve earned that. Well done! When’s the parade? :D

Liverpool
    I said "domestically". There's no doubt Liverpool have had the better European campaign. I can acknowledge that as a fair man. Pity some Liverpool fans can't acknowledge United have been better in England.

If Liverpool had of been knocked out at the same time as United I'd imagine they would have been much closer to them. Not sure if they'd be ahead but to be honest if you had offered me 4th and a CL final or 2nd and out against Sevilla I'd have picked the first option.

Second to fourth made no difference this season as everyone was so far behind City.

Liverpool finished 4th with 76 points last season without Salah. The thing about goal scorers in a well set up attack is that if one doesn't another will. Utd do not have a good defence set up - they have a world class keeper who's shot stopping % is tremendous. Mourinho's reputation about shape and stickability is now a lie. It's just De Gea being de Gea.

Yep. It’s all De Gea where United are concerned and someone would easily step in and score 40 goals instead of Salah for Liverpool.
    Sorry for being so stupid to realise this before.

Second to fourth made no difference this season as everyone was so far behind City.

2nd to City is the new Fourth Place Trophy.

I’m sure if Liverpool came 2nd and we’re knocked out early in the CL it would be considered a great step forward from last season.
    It’s gas stuff.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Fair is fair, you’ve earned that. Well done! When’s the parade? :D

So much salt. Slipping behind this 'terrible' United side must really sting. :pac:
    TitianGer, wrote:
    If Liverpool had of been knocked out at the same time as United I'd imagine they would have been much closer to them. Not sure if they'd be ahead but to be honest if you had offered me 4th and a CL final or 2nd and out against Sevilla I'd have picked the first option.

I imagine you'd prefer second and an FA Cup to fourth and winning diddly squat.

Still a possibility of that happening, as the salty fans on here know all too well.

Liverpool
    I’m sure if Liverpool came 2nd and we’re knocked out early in the CL it would be considered a great step forward from last season.
    It’s gas stuff.

No I'd still prefer 4th and the chance to win the CL for the 6th time.

Saying that United have a chance of the FA Cup so still a chance for a Cup as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ye lot got very giddy for a 17 hour period ye were ahead of us.

Liverpool
    So much salt. Slipping behind this 'terrible' United side must really sting. :pac:

I imagine you'd prefer second and an FA Cup to fourth and winning diddly squat.

Still a possibility of that happening, as the salty fans on here know all too well.

Was already posting an answer to this to Will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Top teams are supposed to have players scoring loads of goals. De Gea is a massive outlier in the saves stats. He's making the same number of saves as the goalkeepers in the bottom 4.

Yep. It’s all De Gea where United are concerned and someone would easily step in and score 40 goals instead of Salah for Liverpool.
    Sorry for being so stupid to realise this before.

Last years top scorers for Liverpool

Coutinho
    Mane S
    Firmino R
    Lallana A
    8 (injured all this season)
    Milner J
    7 (penos)
    Origi D
    7 (loaned)
    Wijnaldum G----6
    Can E
    5 (injured much of 2018)

Total 78

This years top scorers

Salah M.----31
    Firmino R----15
    Mane S
    Coutinho
    7 (gone in January 2018)

Total after 37 games 80.

So last year the goals were spread about, this year not so because Coutinho left and Lallana has hardly played and Origi is toiling in Germany. Plus Liverpool have hardly got a peno all season. Clearly the system promotes those who are good at goals but also the injuries and lack of decent rotation options has meant that the Big Three have played a lot of minutes. Too many. That's unlikely to be an issue next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Certainly over the last few weeks you can see why City have had about as much of a challenge off Southampton & West Brom than the top 4 sides offered.
    Low quality game tonight, like it was last night.
    Kinda glad the premier league is nearly over as the last few weeks there hasn't been much quality on show.
    At least there is a World Cup to look forward to after it.

No I'd still prefer 4th and the chance to win the CL for the 6th time.

Saying that United have a chance of the FA Cup so still a chance for a Cup as well.

I didn’t ask what you would prefer. I’m saying people would have been happy with the progress.

Top teams are supposed to have players scoring loads of goals. De Gea is a massive outlier in the saves stats. He's making the same number of saves as the goalkeepers in the bottom 4.

Defence is poor. Keeper is class. If De Gea were to leave and a couple of decent CBs came in... swings and roundabouts.

Last years top scorers for Liverpool

Coutinho
    Mane S
    Firmino R
    Lallana A
    8 (injured all this season)
    Milner J
    7 (penos)
    Origi D
    7 (loaned)
    Wijnaldum G----6
    Can E
    5 (injured much of 2018)

Total 78

This years top scorers

Salah M.----31
    Firmino R----15
    Mane S
    Coutinho
    7 (gone in January 2018)

Total after 37 games 80.

So last year the goals were spread about, this year not so because Coutinho left and Lallana has hardly played and Origi is toiling in Germany. Plus Liverpool have hardly got a peno all season. Clearly the system promotes those who are good at goals but also the injuries and lack of decent rotation options has meant that the Big Three have played a lot of minutes. Too many. That's unlikely to be an issue next season.

There’s absolutely no guarantee that the goals would have been spread out again.
    Salah has been ridiculous.

I’m off to celebrate 2nd place anyway. The good tea bags are coming out tonight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement