Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    I didn’t ask what you would prefer. I’m saying people would have been happy with the progress.

Sorry misread your post.

People say a lot of stupid stuff in fairness.

Last season lots of opposition fans and pundits were saying that Liverpool only got Top 4 because they didn't have the distraction of Europe and that they would struggle for Top 4 this season now that they were in Europe.

They haven't struggled for Top 4 and managed to get to the CL Final in the process. That shows great progress from the team.

United have made progress from 6th to 2nd but fell away on the European side.

It just shows that it's quite hard to balance the domestic and European challenge. When Liverpool made the EL final they weren't in the running for Top 4, United the same last season, usually something suffers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The United situation is an odd one because on paper they got 2nd which represents progress of sorts but on the other hand every time I happen to catch them live, they are absolutely murder to watch bar a couple of games. Is the mind numbing football worth it if Mourinho gets them challenging again or is the reality that they are going nowhere long term playing like that and some just haven't realised it yet?

I agree though that that side finishing 2nd in the table is an awful indictment on the sides below them. Even if they have far less resources. United have at least been grimly consistent. Spurs and Liverpool dropped too many silly points towards the end of the season. Chelsea had one of their usual post title slumps and Arsenal have just been bad for the most part.

Some seasons 2nd place feels more important than other times. Not this season though with everyone trailing miles behind City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Sorry misread your post.

People say a lot of stupid stuff in fairness.

Last season lots of opposition fans and pundits were saying that Liverpool only got Top 4 because they didn't have the distraction of Europe and that they would struggle for Top 4 this season now that they were in Europe.

They haven't struggled for Top 4 and managed to get to the CL Final in the process. That shows great progress from the team.

United have made progress from 6th to 2nd but fell away on the European side.

It just shows that it's quite hard to balance the domestic and European challenge. When Liverpool made the EL final they weren't in the running for Top 4, United the same last season, usually something suffers.

Do Liverpool not have a pretty terrible record in the games immediately following CL games?
    They haven’t struggled for top 4 but they haven’t waltzed it either. There’s still an outside chance they won’t get it going into the last game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Low quality game for sure but with an FA cup final and a world cup ahead and nothing really on the line what more can you expect. The season is whimpering to a close instead of going out with a bang.

On next season, yeah the signs are promising for Liverpool with Nabby Keita coming in and maybe a few more. The main thing will be keeping the likes of Barca and Real away from Salah. Should he go they'll be back to square one again. Having to find the next player to be their main man instead of progressing to a title challenge.

United very much like Liverpool are still are a good 4 maybe 5 players away from challenging City but to be fair (for United) after LVG that was probably 9/10 players away so progress is being made just maybe not at the pace expected.

And no United don't and under Jose likely never will play the best football in the league but I don't think there's another manger out there that could have progressed United further than Jose has in 2 seasons after the serious damage done by Moyes and LVG.

He's also won 2 trophies and has another final to go in that time so it's not like he's done nothing since he joined United. It's very important United just win that first title post Fergie. 5 seasons now without the title and if United aren't careful that can turn into 10/15/20 very quickly, so if playing a more pragmatic style is the trade off with Jose so be it, let him do it his way and if he fails then there is no excuse.

So for that reason next season is the big one for Jose (I don't expect him to be around longer than the next 2 seasons). Fans expect progress each season and winning the title or at the very least making a serious challenge is the next and only acceptable step.

Winning the title is what Jose was hired to do so if he doesn't do that then his time at United will ultimately be a failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Everton
    Just seen there that Arsenal are 47 points from home games, 3 behind city’s 50 and yet away from home they’re 16th in the league for points accumulated.

i mean what the **** how can you be that bad away from home it’s the same game they play, ball, goals and a rectangular pitch??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Do Liverpool not have a pretty terrible record in the games immediately following CL games?
    They haven’t struggled for top 4 but they haven’t waltzed it either. There’s still an outside chance they won’t get it going into the last game.

They do, but over the season they've still got 4th (1 point needed). Last season they scored 78 goals, conceded 42 and got 76 points. This season they've scored 80 goals, conceded 38 and have 72 points.

All pretty similar to be fair. Goals scored are up, goals conceded are down and will be one point worse off if they win on Saturday.

Not to bad considering they've gotten to a CL final with a small squad and plenty of injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Man City

Same as last season so except this season they’ve had the “distraction” of getting to a CL final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The United situation is an odd one because on paper they got 2nd which represents progress of sorts but on the other hand every time I happen to catch them live, they are absolutely murder to watch bar a couple of games. Is the mind numbing football worth it if Mourinho gets them challenging again or is the reality that they are going nowhere long term playing like that and some just haven't realised it yet?

To quote a wise man, 'if you want entertainment, go to the pictures'.
    I'm no United fan, but you pay your money, you get your choice. With Jose, you get this mind numbing style of long ball football, that has gotten results up to a point. I believe its past its sell by date myself, with tip teams playing more open attack based football, based on changes to rules in offside/banning of tackling etc. Jose's style yeilds results up to a point in the short term. He'll sell second place as a big achievement and the disciples will rally behind him for now. This time next year, its my opinion he will be gone from United, with probably another 300 million spent first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

DeanAustin wrote: »
    As a fellow Spurs fan, I hope greenspurs has his tongue firmly in his cheek.

The Bale money was spunked on rubbish - Capoue, Chiriches, Paulinho, Soldado and Chadli. Only Lamela and Eriksen were value for money.

I never mentioned the Bale Money , I mentioned the sh1te we had in the 90s!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

To quote a wise man, 'if you want entertainment, go to the pictures'.
    I'm no United fan, but you pay your money, you get your choice. With Jose, you get this mind numbing style of long ball football, that has gotten results up to a point. I believe its past its sell by date myself, with tip teams playing more open attack based football, based on changes to rules in offside/banning of tackling etc. Jose's style yeilds results up to a point in the short term. He'll sell second place as a big achievement and the disciples will rally behind him for now. This time next year, its my opinion he will be gone from United, with probably another 300 million spent first.

If you think that under Jose, United play long ball football, then it proves just how little you have seen them play under him.

As such, you cannot give any kind of analysis and be expected to be taken seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Man Utd
    If you think that under Jose, United play long ball football, then it proves just how little you have seen them play under him.

As such, you cannot give any kind of analysis and be expected to be taken seriously.

This is the usual response from United fans, but for most other fans, United are just an expensive Stoke in terms of their "style" of football ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Quazzie wrote: »
    This is the usual response from United fans, but for most other fans, United are just an expensive Stoke in terms of their "style" of football ;)

And the usual response from you tbh.

You have a bigger chip on your shoulder about United than anyone on this forum so no more than the poster above, no analysis relating to United and coming from you can be taken seriously.

;)

If United were behind the teams that these guys supported, there wouldn’t be any concern about the style of play. I know a lot of Liverpool fans are petrified of having to deal with United having a statistically better season if they lose the CL final. Worse again if United win the FA Cup.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If United were behind the teams that these guys supported, there wouldn’t be any concern about the style of play. I know a lot of Liverpool fans are petrified of having to deal with United having a statistically better season if they lose the CL final. Worse again if United win the FA Cup.

Petrified.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Quazzie wrote: »

Actual long ball stats

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/total_long_balls?se=79

5th least long balls in the league.....less than the "prettier" Liverpool and Spurs.

Man City
    greenspurs wrote: »
    I never mentioned the Bale Money , I mentioned the sh1te we had in the 90s!

You never mentioned it but someone else did as if the Bale money was a turning point - as Garth Crooks put it “they sold Elvis and bought the Beatles” when in reality, we sold Elvis and bought Take That. Two good ones but the rest were talentless.

I didn’t intend to associate you with that comment but was hoping you were on the wind up with some of your other posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Quazzie wrote:
    This is the usual response from United fans, but for most other fans, United are just an expensive Stoke in terms of their "style" of football

I don't think United play overly direct but I don't know if the players know themselves what the tactics are. Sanchez was very deep yesterday often as he wasn't getting enough of the ball & when he was his back was to goal.
    I don't think United, Spurs or Liverpool can be too proud of their domestic season. The last few weeks all suffered poor results against teams who are relegated & stumbled over the line as the season ended. City are further ahead than Celtic or PSG are which just shows they were in a race with nobody. People need to remember that instead of who finished where below them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

ERG89 wrote: »
    I don't think United play overly direct but I don't know if the players know themselves what the tactics are. Sanchez was very deep yesterday often as he wasn't getting enough of the ball & when he was his back was to goal.
    I don't think United, Spurs or Liverpool can be too proud of their domestic season. The last few weeks all suffered poor results against teams who are relegated & stumbled over the line as the season ended. City are further ahead than Celtic or PSG are which just shows they were in a race with nobody. People need to remember that instead of who finished where below them.

To be fair, Liverpool are in the middle of an injury crisis, especially in midfield and had one eye on a CL semi finals and CL final. They have rotated a lot at the back and tried to legs in midfield and bodies all over the pitch. Having midfielders able to rotate like Can, Lallana & Ox would hurt any team. if they were available, I don't think the results against Stoke, West Brom & probably Chelsea would have been the same.

Better results there and Liverpool could have still been fighting for 2nd place. Many didn't expect Liverpool to finish top 4 this season, so to get it is probably a good season tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

DeanAustin wrote: »

I didn’t intend to associate you with that comment but was hoping you were on the wind up with some of your other posts.

why ? :confused:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    Petrified.

lol

True though :pac:
    You can see it in the posts here. The absolute injustice of United having a better season would be too bitter a pill to swallow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Premier league at end of season when there's little to play for is pretty boring generally.

I think the ‘Top 4’ race was destined this year to pan out as almost a non-event due to the fact that all 4 clubs go straight into the group stage, rather than the 4th having to play a qualifier. In effect, finishing 2nd, 3rd, or 4th does not matter in real terms (apart from a few extra bob and bragging rights for the fans). Add in Liverpool reaching the CL final, while comfortable enough in the league to take the foot (and minds!) off the gas for the last few games, and you have the situation as it is.

Chelsea have only come back into the race lately because the teams ahead of them have coasted a little too much. It was set up for Chelsea to challenge late – title sewn up so none of the ‘challengers’ were able to chase them down, and those 3 clubs weren’t competing against eachother to avoid being the one to finish 4th and play a qualifier. For me, Utd, Spurs and Liverpool have been on auto-pilot for the last month or so since they all realised that they were good as nailed on for top 4.

Jesus per Sky Wolves are considering £30m move for Rui Patricio and £33m for Andre Silva

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

True though :pac:
    You can see it in the posts here. The absolute injustice of United having a better season would be too bitter a pill to swallow.

Some salient point (in my view)
    - Utd will finish above Liverpool. No arguing with that, and results bear out that they deserve it.
    - Liverpool fans on average have been happier this season with their teams performance than utd fans as far as I can see. This is partly based on the style of the team (real or perceived) and possibly where expectations lie in terms of where people thought respective teams would finish before the season.
    - The lift that a deep CL run gives a team and fanbase is very real.
    - If Liverpool finish 5th and lose in Kiev it will have been a bad end to a generally enjoyable season, with reason for optimism, despite the lack of CL.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Jesus per Sky Wolves are considering £30m move for Rui Patricio and £33m for Andre Silva

How much would they have paid for Silva if he wasn't a colossal failure :confused:
    Take Kalanic too for crying out loud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    pjohnson wrote: »

The company that owns them is worth 50 odd billion I think,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Yeah it’s been said that Wolves could end up being the new City, the money they were spending and standard of players they were signing was ridiculous by championship standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

They are at their most effective throwing it up to big lads like lukaku felliani etc and lads like rashford and lingard joining at pace.

Liverpool and Spurs problems in recent weeks is as much about squad size than anything else. Their first 11 is ahead of their reserves, as much because they can't really afford a bench full of 100k/week players, like City/Chelsea/United can.

Style isn't really important where league position is concerned, as I said earlier if you want entertainment, go to the pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    I’m certainly going to throw a small amount on Wolves finishing in the top six next season. As unlikely as it seems, they do play great football (how it translates to the PL remains to be seen though) and have huge backing in the transfer market. I’d say the odds will be pretty big on it, but if Arsenal’s new manager doesn’t hit the ground running, there’s a chance. Sure even Burnley nearly caught them this season, Wolves are well capable if they sign some of the names they’re being linked with and hold onto Neves.

Man City
    greenspurs wrote: »
    why ? :confused:

Because some of your logic is the reason Spurs get ridiculed as a small time club.

“We are the top club in London” - who gives a ****? Until London declares independence and we’re part of the London Premier League, it doesn’t matter a f**k. Maybe if you actually live in London it matters but I don’t believe many Spurs fans on here do.

“We won x 2nd Divisions and x Community Shields” - the League Cup and FA Cup have barely any credibility these days. It looks like you’re trying to inflate the number of trophies by mentioning the Second Division and Community Shield.

“We had a great season because we were **** in the 90s” - that just stinks of a small time attitude.

We’ve done very well this season but nothing to be really rubbing other people’s noses in it. Maybe some Arsenal fans who used to go on about Saint Totteringham’s Day. Other than that, any boasting reeks of a small time attitude.

Will Wolves not come somewhat undone needing HG players? They can't just import all the Portugese players?

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    Petrified.

lol

Don't hide your inner feelings, admit you are ****ting yourself.

Petrified even writing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Arsenal
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Don't hide your inner feelings, admit you are ****ting yourself.

Petrified even writing this.

Dghjhfk hurd. JJ ft plough fdrrf huff ffjnnk*

petrified-skeleton-pompeii-italy-museum-city-was-ancient-roman-town-city-near-modern-naples-60615322.jpg

*poster is literally petrified

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    thelad95 wrote: »
    Yeah it’s been said that Wolves could end up being the new City, the money they were spending and standard of players they were signing was ridiculous by championship standards.

It worked so fair play to them
    Will be good to see them in the league, at least they will be interesting to watch
    I personally see them being more like Monaco in signing young players to sell rather than City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

happy 1000th PL game to

Arsenal
    Spurs
    Everton
    Liverpool
    Man Utd
    Chelsea.

I bet Arsenal win away today just to be contrary (and Town happy to be secure)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool
    The only top 6 Everton will be in anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'd imagine that's Martial gone in the summer then

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    I'd imagine that's Martial gone in the summer then

His cousin said leg injury on Twitter, but yeah I’d say so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Chelsea are doing their best to avoid playing in the CL next season. Woeful display so far today and they are behind.

So then at HT Liverpool will finish 3rd, Spurs 4th and Chelsea 5th.

and Swansea are gone Shirley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    Presumably all the Liverpool fans who were saying a few days ago it didn't matter who finishes 2nd, 3rd or 4th will remain consistent and won't bother praising their team for finishing above Spurs. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Spurs game looks like a cracker. 3-3 now.

Chelsea getting beaten 0-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Berserker wrote: »
    Chelsea are doing their best to avoid playing in the CL next season. Woeful display so far today and they are behind.

Picked a good time to get the maximum effects from their biannual ‘we don’t like the manager anymore’ tantrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Tottenham and Leicester should be a final day fixture every season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Still time for Kane to get the golden boot;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    Toobz wrote: »
    Tottenham and Leicester should be a final day fixture every season!

A blurry memory for me now but I think Kane scored,,,4 in the same dead rubber fixture last season.

Hoping he gets a couple more!

Top 6 only sides in the league with a positive goal difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Man Utd
    davycc wrote: »
    A blurry memory for me now but I think Kane scored,,,4 in the same dead rubber fixture last season.

Hoping he gets a couple more!

He usually turns up in batches so it's entirely possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Was gonna write a lovely tongue-in-cheek post about how City were over-rated and bottlers for not reaching the 100 points.

Lucky I held off

• Advertisement

Well done Arsenal! ;)

Well done Newcastle, great return.

Advertisement