Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Glad to see the back of Swansea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Glad to see the back of Swansea.

+1 Any team that goes out of there way to sign both awyu brothers deserve to go down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Delighted that Southampton stayed up.Mark Hughes probably having a little smile to himself that Stoke were relegated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Soton will just go down next season if he stays in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Liverpool
    Conte sounds like he's ready to cry in his interview, bit miserable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I think he's had enough and he just wants to go now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Can you blame him?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Stroll in the park for Liverpool. Nice way to finish the season, win to nil, unbeaten at home, Salah gets the Golden Boot and CL qualification in the bag.

Champions League final to come.

Very happy with the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Picked a good time to get the maximum effects from their biannual ‘we don’t like the manager anymore’ tantrum.

Result not a surprise, they were moaning to media sources about team selection in the Huddersfield game during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Delighted to see City get the 100 points. I think they played the best football I've ever seen in the Premier league this season.
    Also delighted for Mo Salah breaking the record for most goals in a 38 game Premier league season. He has been consistently phenomenal this season and thoroughly deserved that record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Watching MOTD, Spurs defence was a shambles lucky for them Leicesters was worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    The top 4 can all be happy. City won the league and broke all records, utd improved on last year and made top 4 easily enough in the end . Spurs having to play at Wembley for the year and not having the resources of other teams they are competing with. Liverpool proving they can get top 4 while also having to contend with European football. The squad available to klopp is nothing like what his rivals have to play around with. For both spurs and Liverpool they can now work on getting their squads up to the level of the teams they are trying to compete with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sanchez at CB for Spurs started well this year but been poor last few months.

Still a good player but his lack of experience showed as the season went on.

VVD easily the best CB in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

If he was truly miserable he would just resign on the spot. Needs to play the victim until he is paid off though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

MD1990 wrote: »
    VVD easily the best CB in the league.

Alderweireld and Vertonghen are better than him imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

VVD has looked good because he vastly improved Liverpool's defence on arrival (which wouldn't be difficult) in the end they conceded the same as Spurs in the league, give or take. They do need to upgrade the keeper and another CB imo.

• Everton

He should ask himself why he needed to rest Hazard in the home game they should have been aiming to win last week.

He's doing an awful lot of moaning and yet it's his fault as much as the players for Chelseas failures this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

AT Dean Austin rant, about me being the reason Spurs get "ridiculed" for being a small time club -
    So while I prove we are not a "Small time Club" - according to you, that's the reason we get "ridiculed" as a Small time club ?!? :confused:
    while you quote Garth Crooks !??! who just came out and said Kane needs to leave to win something, but Pool is perfect for Salah ?? Genius stuff
    I quoted both clubs list of honours, so how am I "inflating" the clubs honours !??! just because YOU don't rate trophies that the clubs list that they won , doesn't mean they don't count in honours lists!

(For some reason, if I try to include a quote in my reply, the post wont load !! ?? )

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

M!Ck^ wrote:
    He should ask himself why he needed to rest Hazard in the home game they should have been aiming to win last week.

Tbf Willian isn't a bad replacement & Liverpool were always beating Brighton yesterday.
    They lost a top 4 spot by losing to Bournemouth & Burnley at home also clearly buying players without running them by the manager as he clearly didn't want some of them.

• Everton
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Tbf Willian isn't a bad replacement & Liverpool were always beating Brighton yesterday.
    They lost a top 4 spot by losing to Bournemouth & Burnley at home also clearly buying players without running them by the manager as he clearly didn't want some of them.

That's the game I'm talking about. Not yesterdays game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

100 Man City
    81 Man Utd
    77 Tottenham
    75 Liverpool
    70 Chelsea
    63 Arsenal
    54 Burnley
    49 Everton
    47 Leicester
    44 Newcastle Palace Bournemouth
    42 West Ham
    41 Watford
    40 Brighton
    37 Huddersfield
    36 Southampton
    33 Swansea Stoke
    31 West Brom

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    That's the game I'm talking about. Not yesterdays game.

But it wasn't lost midweek at Huddersfield it was lost long before then dropping points in convincing defeats to Watford or Bournemouth who weren't in good form when they played them. They needed Liverpool or Spurs to lose games last week but they won them. If your relying on other teams to do you a favour you've already f**ked up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Long Table

This is a great way of visualising the gap between teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Also interesting that everyone outside the top 6 had a negative GD, even the much lauded Burnley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Also interesting that everyone outside the top 6 had a negative GD, even the much lauded Burnley.

Man City and Liverpool had a lot to do with that :)

City trounced it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

ERG89 wrote: »
    But it wasn't lost midweek at Huddersfield it was lost long before then dropping points in convincing defeats to Watford or Bournemouth who weren't in good form when they played them. They needed Liverpool or Spurs to lose games last week but they won them. If your relying on other teams to do you a favour you've already f**ked up

After Chelsea lost to Spurs, they were in a position where they needed to exhibit title winning form AND have Liverpool / Spurs drop a bunch of points in order to get fourth. They took 14 points from 18, which was their best stretch of form in the league since November. But ultimately they are who we thought they were: it's just very difficult to suddenly be a title winning level team when you haven't been at that level in months. And, as such, when they failed to sneak past Huddersfield the demons that have been plaguing them since Christmas manifested themselves in all their glory yesterday.

After 24 games, Chelsea had 50 points. Their run from Jan 31st through to April 8th was utterly catastrophic. Two wins, a draw and five losses from eight games. Aside from that period, they really haven't been so terrible. Which says to me that one underestimates them for next year at their peril.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Kiith wrote: »
    Alderweireld and Vertonghen are better than him imo.

Alderweireld lack of pace is his weakness.

Remember Long causing him huge problems at times last season.
    Vertonghen is very good but VVD even better more dominant physically & better on the ball.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

A bit ironic that Kane scored more this season than in his 2 golden boot seasons.

• Advertisement

A bit ironic that Kane scored more this season than in his 2 golden boot seasons.

That is hardly ironic ?
    Please see below.....

"an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected."
    "the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning"

greenspurs wrote: »
    That is hardly ironic ?
    Please see below.....

"an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected."
    "the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning"
    That's a bit intellectual for these parts...

Ironic in the sense he made it clear he was gunning for the golden boot, so his season might seem a failure, when it was in fact his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Everton
    Top 6 compared to the previous season.

Man City: +22 points, moved from 3rd to 1st.
    Man Utd: +12 points, moved from 6th to 2nd
    Spurs: -9 points, moved from 2nd to 3rd
    Liverpool: -1 points, 4th place, no change
    Chelsea: -23 points, moved from 1st to 5th
    Arsenal: -12 points, Moved from 5th to 6th.

Only City and United ended the season with more points than the previous season. Only City and United improved their league position on 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Man City
    AT Dean Austin rant, about me being the reason Spurs get "ridiculed" for being a small time club -
    So while I prove we are not a "Small time Club" - according to you, that's the reason we get "ridiculed" as a Small time club ?!? :confused:
    while you quote Garth Crooks !??! who just came out and said Kane needs to leave to win something, but Pool is perfect for Salah ?? Genius stuff
    I quoted both clubs list of honours, so how am I "inflating" the clubs honours !??! just because YOU don't rate trophies that the clubs list that they won , doesn't mean they don't count in honours lists!

(For some reason, if I try to include a quote in my reply, the post wont load !! ?? )

Hardly a rant.

I quoted Gareth Crooks to show how wrong he was.

Talking about winning Second Division titles and Community Shields while trying to talk about Spurs as a big club is ridiculous. You don't see United or Liverpool fans talking about how many Second Division Titles and Community Shields they've won.

Spurs are a big club in my opinion. No doubt about it but people earlier in the thread were trying to ridicule you because you started boasting about being third in the league and the top club in London. While Poch has done incredibly well, we haven't done enough to rub anyone's nose in it and his quotes over the last 24 hours show how potentially tenuous our recent success is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭finno

RobertKK wrote: »

Only City and United ended the season with more points than the previous season. Only City and United improved their league position on 2017.

Fixed that for you

If the criteria for a big club is winning a lot of European/Domestic titles Spurs don't exactly fit the bill.

A well supported club perhaps, but they need some success. They are going the right directon though imo.

• Advertisement

Man Utd: +12 points, moved from 5th to 2nd

Chelsea fell off a cliff this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Everton
    finno wrote: »
    Fixed that for you

Thanks, I fixed the error in the original post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool

Liverpool only being down one point this season is quite an achievement considering they have made the CL final.

Also improved goals for and goals against so a very positive season.

I think all the Top 4 can be happy.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Hardly a rant.

I quoted Gareth Crooks to show how wrong he was.

Talking about winning Second Division titles and Community Shields while trying to talk about Spurs as a big club is ridiculous. You don't see United or Liverpool fans talking about how many Second Division Titles and Community Shields they've won.

Spurs are a big club in my opinion. No doubt about it but people earlier in the thread were trying to ridicule you because you started boasting about being third in the league and the top club in London. While Poch has done incredibly well, we haven't done enough to rub anyone's nose in it and his quotes over the last 24 hours show how potentially tenuous our recent success is.

As I said.....
    I didn't specifically mention 2nd div titles or Charity shields. I simply gave the total trophies won by BOTH clubs as listed on their websites.
    You then went further and dismissed the Fa Cup also ! ... So , only the Lge and Champs Lge count ?
    I'm fully aware of our standing in the pecking order.... We are 6th in the wages league, but finished 3rd in the table.
    I am actually allowed be happy about finishing above teams that , IMO, should be finishing ahead of THFC.
    As I said numerous times, much to the annoyance of supporters of other clubs, Tottenham are progressing, and that I am delighted about.
    Can Arsenal + Chelsea say they are progressing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

:
    while you quote Garth Crooks !??! who just came out and said Kane needs to leave to win something, but Pool is perfect for Salah ??

Salah will be playing in the cl final next week..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Salah will be playing in the cl final next week..............
    Hopefully participation is where is ends! :pac:

Man City
    As a Spurs fan, I can't resist posting this from The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/may/14/premier-league-2017-18-review-player-of-the-season

The top five clubs do not have all the exciting talent. There are some delightful players at lesser sides: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, for instance, looked lethal after his arrival at Arsenal; Riyad Mahrez was often a joy to watch despite the frustration of his thwarted move to Manchester City and Leicester’s sagging; Xherdan Shaqiri did some fine things at Stoke; Christopher Schindler was quietly classy at Huddersfield; but perhaps none of them were as consistently dangerous, eye-catching and influential as Zaha, who triggered panic and glee nearly every time he ran with the ball. “I was reading the programme before the match and there was a statistic that claimed Zaha had only two assists so far this season,” said Roy Hodgson after Crystal Palace’s 3-0 win at Leicester in December. “But as far as I can make out Wilf is involved in at least 80% of what we create.”

:D

I know there's an EFL thread, but I only just twigged that 17 year old Ryan Sessegnon won the C'ship player of the year award. Pretty amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What did Spurs win again?

Man City

The Top 4 trophy that Arsenal used to win before they became a lesser team...

Only joking my good man. I know spurs have won f**k all but that line in the Guardian was funny bordering on blatant trolling.

RoboKlopp wrote:
    City trounced it

Another mad City statistic.
    City finished 19 points clear of the chasing pack this season. To put into perspective the gulf in class to them and the rest when Arsenal finished 5th last season they were 18 points off league winners Chelsea :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

They were an absolute points winning machine this season. Hopefully it won't be so easy next season. Everyone needs to go up a couple of gears that's for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    I know there's an EFL thread, but I only just twigged that 17 year old Ryan Sessegnon won the C'ship player of the year award. Pretty amazing.

Between himself and Grealish
    Hopefully see both in the premier league next season

The inaugural "Top team in London " trophy .

Much sought after, and Tottenham are delighted recipients. Chelsea have dismissed it as a "Tin Pot" trophy and it doesn't count as a title, whereas Arsenal have released a statement to say "we are happy enough to finish third , we were aiming to be fourth as we expected Palace to put more pressure on us".
    Meanwhile , honorary London club Man Utd ,whilst being ahead of all the clubs based in London, received a certificate for their efforts .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The inaugural "Top team in London " trophy .

Much sought after, and Tottenham are delighted recipients. Chelsea have dismissed it as a "Tin Pot" trophy and it doesn't count as a title, whereas Arsenal have released a statement to say "we are happy enough to finish third , we were aiming to be fourth as we expected Palace to put more pressure on us".
    Meanwhile , honorary London club Man Utd ,whilst being ahead of all the clubs based in London, received a certificate for their efforts .
    Jesus

• Advertisement
Advertisement