Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Burnley with the 3rd lowest wages in the league just Brighton and Huddersfield with less shows the remarkable job dyche has done. Even the likes of Bournemouth, Watford operate at a much higher level financially than Burnley. Spurs again doing well with the lowest wages in the top 6 but finishing 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Burnley with the 3rd lowest wages in the league just Brighton and Huddersfield with less shows the remarkable job dyche has done. Even the likes of Bournemouth, Watford operate at a much higher level financially than Burnley. Spurs again doing well with the lowest wages in the top 6 but finishing 3rd.

And, in fairness, the great job done by Hughton and Wagner. Huddersfield, in particular, looked dead set to go down this season and survival is an impressive result for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    And, in fairness, the great job done by Hughton and Wagner. Huddersfield, in particular, looked dead set to go down this season and survival is an impressive result for them.

Absolutely a great job done by them aswell particularly Huddersfield. However Burnley as a club would financially only be at Brighton's level and below the likes of newcastle, Bournemouth, Watford etc. With the success they have had they should now be able to pay higher wages. Average wages at Burnley are 25k same as Brighton and a good bit below Newcastle for example.

Absolutely a great job done by them aswell particularly Huddersfield. However Burnley as a club would financially only be at Brighton's level and below the likes of newcastle, Bournemouth, Watford etc. With the success they have had they should now be able to pay higher wages. Average wages at Burnley are 25k same as Brighton and a good bit below Newcastle for example.

Absolutely.

Dyche has gotten huge plaudits for his work and fully deserves every bit of it. He has done a wonderful job on minimal resources (comparatively) and really makes the argument for longer term coaching and cohesion. Burnley (like Brighton and, to a lesser extent, Huddersfield) have stuck to their managers when all around them (West Ham, WBA, Swansea, Stoke, Leicester, Watford, Everton... Bloody hell) are chopping and changing at will to varying degrees of success and failure. That's not to say that some of those decisions weren't correct at the time but the constant chopping and changing certainly makes it harder for teams to establish long-term playing styles, plans and bed in players, develop young players.

Brighton, Huddersfield and Burnley have all played a long game and very much reaped the rewards of it this season. Swansea and Stoke, for e.g., ripped up their rulebooks in terms of the club ethos and playing style over the last 2/3 seasons and have now paid the price in relegation.

No guarantees that Huddersfield, Brighton and Burnley won't be in that mess next season but this season went far better for them than I expected and I can't imagine I am alone in that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

He left cause you’re sh*t,
    He left cause you’re sh*t
    Herbert Chapman,
    He left cause you’re sh*t!

Arsenal fans' chant on Sunday.:D

Just shows what a rich tapestry the history of football is, that Arsenal would have such a strong historical connection with a club promoted out of nowhere last season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Allardyce gone, find that a strange one. They finished 8th, they aren't going to get into the Top 6, don't see the point.

Herbert Chapman,

Just shows what a rich tapestry the history of football is, that Arsenal would have such a strong historical connection with a club promoted out of nowhere last season...

An excellent one.

But as Michael Cox on the Totally Football Show pointed out, totally inaccurate. He left 'cos Arsenal doubled his salary. Typical pre-war football; money ruining everything. ;)

rob316 wrote: »
    Allardyce gone, find that a strange one. They finished 8th, they aren't going to get into the Top 6, don't see the point.
    Don't you see, it's so they can finish in the same position with a sexy young Latino manager.
    JS117840104_REUTERS_Hull-City-manager-Marco-Silva_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq0Z2m9fTZlPCaE9lzDAtkDjTY0dL4Fb9WkubAfttXDZ8.jpg?imwidth=450

Don't you see, it's so they can finish in the same position with a sexy young Latino manager.
    JS117840104_REUTERS_Hull-City-manager-Marco-Silva_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq0Z2m9fTZlPCaE9lzDAtkDjTY0dL4Fb9WkubAfttXDZ8.jpg?imwidth=450

Sacking him for someone top class makes sense but for Marco Silva who couldn't cut it at Watford?

• Advertisement

An excellent one.

But as Michael Cox on the Totally Football Show pointed out, totally inaccurate. He left 'cos Arsenal doubled his salary. Typical pre-war football; money ruining everything. ;)

From two pounds six shillings a week to five guineas. Luis Enrique's agent was telling Gazidis the other day, "You'll do that for Chapman but you won't pay my guy a modest £15 million a year..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I’m sure most don’t visit the Everton thread so I said i’d post this here for all those that think allardyce “saved” Everton from relegation. Bare in mind they were 13th when he arrived, not 20th, had already played the top 6 and subsequently have the 19th worst record of shots and forward passes in the prem during his reign.

https://twitter.com/bally03/status/996678039022002176?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Liverpool
    David Moyes gone too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Herbert Chapman,

Which was in reply to the Huddersfield chant to the Arsenal fans cheering Wenger.

You wanted him out,
    You wanted him out,
    You two faced bastards,
    You wanted him out.

Now that is proper banter.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    David Moyes gone too

Moyes to Everton
    Sam to West Ham!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Sacking him for someone top class makes sense but for Marco Silva who couldn't cut it at Watford?

Yep, and now they've used their Big Sam Get Out of Jail Free card!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

To be fair, Moyes actually did alright. Think he can feel more aggrieved.
    Moyes reputation probably a bit more improved than it was.

Allardyce's reputation just confirmed.

Moyes back to Everton!!??
    Sam back to West Ham!!??

Stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

West Ham will regret getting rid of David Moyes without a doubt.

thelad95 wrote: »
    West Ham will regret getting rid of David Moyes without a doubt.

Absolutely, they desperately need stability and to back a manger like Moyes properly. But Moyes knows the club is a **** show and isn't getting involved with a season after season relegation battle because of clueless owners.

Which was in reply to the Huddersfield chant to the Arsenal fans cheering Wenger.

You wanted him out,
    You wanted him out,
    You two faced bastards,
    You wanted him out.

Now that is proper banter.

I often wonder how these clever, leftfield chants get started. Does one lone genius start singing it and if it's good it gets picked up by the guys around him? If you put listening devices around a crowd for a prem game would you pick up a pile of rubbish, stillborn chants?

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    I often wonder how these clever, leftfield chants get started. Does one lone genius start singing it and if it's good it gets picked up by the guys around him? If you put listening devices around a crowd for a prem game would you pick up a pile of rubbish, stillborn chants?

Somewhere like the Kop they start with a couple of mates and then spread across the whole stand.

You can hear it as it comes towards you like waves then you join in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Ah now in fairness he was doing an excellent job at Watford until Everton turned his head. Results nose-dived after he started sulking.

Is Silva as good as Alderdyce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Is Silva as good as Alderdyce?

He tries to play fancy football so that’s enough in the eyes of many..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No great fan of Moyes but that's a strange binning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Nowadays, a lot of men-children will create YouTube videos of them singing the chants or else post them on online fora like reddit etc. so people have seen them online and are more likely to pick up on them.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The best chants are made on cross country away trips with a bag of cans

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

No great fan of Moyes but that's a strange binning.

Nah with the current regime at West Ham it isn't. They view themselves above a Moyes who like the rest of us would be more grounded on where West Ham should be but I think the owners see the club as being big underachivers this past season. Also it was said on MOTD they gave him a contract which expired on midnight the last day of the season which surely sets alarm bells ringing the minute he was offered it.

Wonder will Big Sameone stay retired this time. Everton is surely the biggest job he is going to get...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    There seems to be an increasing pomposity among clubs over style of play vis-a-vis functional football. Allardyce and Moyes did a good job all things considered but increasing numbers of fans feel this manner of football isn't satisfactory in the modern game due to the glorification of possession football, gegenpressing etc. The art of defending doesn't seem to be appreciated these days.

I suspect the above clubs will come to regret their approach. Southampton sacked Pellegrino over concerns about his style of play and they almost came to regret it. I also remember James McClean saying in an interview recently that Pardew took over and told them 'go out and express yourselves' and the players struggled because they were used to the Pulis approach of strong organisation. Moore brought things back to basics and they did much better.

Burnley finished 7th, Everton 8th, Newcastle 10th, West Ham 13th, Brighton 15th, Huddersfield 16th: to me these finishes are pretty good considering the squads they have; and while some supporters of these teams are content, others seem to have unrealistic expectations.

I remember Blackpool won many admirers with the attacking style they played but they still went down. Considering what has happened to them since, I'm sure most of their supporters would rather have had Burnley or Brighton's experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Style over substance is key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah you can try the expansive game to try win admirers but they'll soon forget you when you get relegated.

It's disgraceful the way Allardyce and Moyes have been treated and it's the fans pressuring for it that has won the day.

I admire a manager who can consistently keep his team in around the top ten regardless of the style of football they play. The hipster seems to have a voice now and the hipster is new to football and only wants fancy football. There are a lot of them around now and I don't like it.
    Football for me is about results and not the style. When you can play the expansive game and be successful then I'll admire you but I'll admire you almost as much if you are doing better than your team should be doing regardless of the style of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

You can't blame fans for getting frustrated though. West Brom fans will probably enjoy next season battling it out near the top of the table.

I'd say they were sick of watching boring football and finishing mid table every season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I suppose it depends on your sides station in life - I'd take Liverpools 4th place over Man Utds 2nd any day of the week, equally I'd prefer Howe Bournemouth over Alardyces Everton any day of the week but if the team I followed was always up against it I'd probably put up with **** on a stick if it got the results - happily WBA went down anyway! :)

Liverpool
    Steve Walsh sacked by Everton now as well and he is being replaced by Marcel Brands from PSV.

A new Dutch manager on the way?

Recruitment really was bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah you can try the expansive game to try win admirers but they'll soon forget you when you get relegated.

It's disgraceful the way Allardyce and Moyes have been treated and it's the fans pressuring for it that has won the day.

I admire a manager who can consistently keep his team in around the top ten regardless of the style of football they play. The hipster seems to have a voice now and the hipster is new to football and only wants fancy football. There are a lot of them around now and I don't like it.
    Football for me is about results and not the style. When you can play the expansive game and be successful then I'll admire you but I'll admire you almost as much if you are doing better than your team should be doing regardless of the style of football.

FFS. Whatever about Moyes, Allardyce is a crook by any standards and has walked away with another cool few million in the bank.

No doubt another chairman will be giving him a call by Christmas and Sam will have absolutely no qualms about jumping into some other man’s job and taking all the credit (when it goes right) and undoubtedly another large pay cheque. Disgracefully treated my backside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

regarding style - I way prefer watching rugby or GAA to hoofball of Pullis or Warnock or Big Sam - i'm a style man - make no apology ;-):)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

JoeA3 wrote: »
    FFS. Whatever about Moyes, Allardyce is a crook by any standards and has walked away with another cool few million in the bank.

No doubt another chairman will be giving him a call by Christmas and Sam will have absolutely no qualms about jumping into some other man’s job and taking all the credit (when it goes right) and undoubtedly another large pay cheque. Disgracefully treated my backside!

Have you followed the managerial career of Allardyce?! He's been a success nearly every where he has gone?!

pjohnson wrote: »
    Style over substance is key.

Spurs fans motto for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Spurs fans motto for decades.

I still prefer it to 'This is our year' though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    KingdomYid wrote: »

Who says this is our year?

Spurs fans aside, the majority of football fans hope Spurs stick to their half century of swashbuckling bottling football ;)

Spurs fans aside, the majority of football fans hope Spurs stick to their half century of swashbuckling bottling football ;)

I would not agree with that statement.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Who says this is our year?

Who says 'Style over substance' ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I can confirm its not a Liverpool fan that said it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool

I don't know, I didn't mention it. You brought up "This is Our Year", which I assume you think Liverpool fans say as you were responding to RoboKlopp? And by the way the piss take line is "Next Year Is Our Year" :P

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I don't know, I didn't mention it. You brought up "This is Our Year", which I assume you think Liverpool fans say as you were responding to RoboKlopp? And by the way the piss take line is "Next Year Is Our Year" :P

It was all a bit of piss taking on both sides. Someone has to fight the Spurs corner, No worries:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Man Utd
    I would not agree with that statement.

But you're a Spurs fan so how would you know?

Quazzie wrote: »
    But you're a Spurs fan so how would you know?

I suppose you are right in a way, perhaps it's only since they have started to break the traditional top four that other teams have started to dislike them. They were probably insignificant to most other teams before that. I still believe a lot of neutrals would be on our side or maybe I am wide of the mark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Man Utd
    I suppose you are right in a way, perhaps it's only since they have started to break the traditional top four that other teams have started to dislike them. They were probably insignificant to most other teams before that. I still believe a lot of neutrals would be on our side or maybe I am wide of the mark?

Personally I think that people like Greenspurs (still not sure if he was serious) and the way the media paint ye the darlings of English football just places a target on your back for people to hate. The media have been praising Spurs for many a year now, long before they deserved it and I think that riles up a lot of fans. Sure ye are starting to look a decent outfit lately, but then ye take the next step by declaring yourself the best thing around. It just comes across as the fans constantly getting ahead of yourselves long before it's justified.

All just my opinion, and by saying ye/fans etc I am talking about the collective not individuals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement