Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

1151152153154155157»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

The Brits strategy is to make Putin unpopular with the oligarchs, by placing sanctions/restrictions on them in response to news events pushed into media spotlight by the British press. It will pass fairly sharpish once they get further into their exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Can't believe West Ham got Pellegrini, great manager. Honestly thought he'd still be way above that level. Though I suppose perhaps a few years raking in the cash in China lowered his prestige a bit.

Brought Villareal to 2nd in the league and the semi's of the Champions League - both the best they've ever done in their history, broke Real's all time points total, broke Malaga's all time points total, smashed Man City's all time goals-scored total on the way to winning the league (which pep beat by 4 this season).

Think he'll do a great job if the David's stay out of his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Can't believe West Ham got Pellegrini, great manager. Honestly thought he'd still be way above that level. Though I suppose perhaps a few years raking in the cash in China lowered his prestige a bit.

Brought Villareal to 2nd in the league and the semi's of the Champions League - both the best they've ever done in their history, broke Real's all time points total, broke Malaga's all time points total, smashed Man City's all time goals-scored total on the way to winning the league (which pep beat by 4 this season).

Think he'll do a great job if the Dildo Brothers stay out of his way.

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Liverpool
    Surprised theres no talk of Arteta going back to Everton as manager, would be a good appointment for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    It was suggested he was going to be kept on at City to potentially take over from Pep some day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Alderweireld in talks with Man U..... Martial/ Rashford being mentioned going the other way.... £75mill etc etc for a 29year old ......

Levy will take the money, but surprising that they would sell to another top4 club ...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    greenspurs wrote: »
    Alderweireld in talks with Man U..... Martial/ Rashford being mentioned going the other way.... £75mill etc etc for a 29year old ......

Levy will take the money, but surprising that they would sell to another top4 club ...

I haven't seen £75m mentioned anywhere. £55m is the figure doing the rounds. Probably should post in the Summer Transfer Thread though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I haven't seen £75m mentioned anywhere. £55m is the figure doing the rounds. Probably should post in the Summer Transfer Thread though.

Does he not have a £25m release clause from the middle of the summer? Or was that mis-reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

greenspurs wrote:

Probably better off getting rid of Alderweireld & Rose considering they contributed little this past season and seem to have issues with the current setup which resulted in them being dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Does he not have a £25m release clause from the middle of the summer? Or was that mis-reported?

No he's two years left on his contract. If he is still at Spurs next season then his £25m release clause is activated in Summer 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool

Next summer I think? 2 years left on his contract I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He could do better than United but English clubs will be the only ones willing to pony up what Levy wants. VVD set the fee benchmark, £75m for one of the best defenders in the league is the new norm.

Pochettino signs new 5 year contract !

Great news. Levy must be gonna stump up big bucks for THFC to drive on!!

"Hes magic you know"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

people love to knock English football here - but more people watched the second tier of English football than the top tier in Italy and Spain according to BBC- that surprised me :-

A Uefa report earlier this year listed the Championship has being the third-best attended division in Europe - ahead of both La Liga in Spain and Serie A in Italy. England's second-tier clubs had average gates of almost 20,500 from 552 games in the 2017-18 season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Championship has been one of the great success stories of football, it's just that because the PL is so much bigger in terms of coverage and money it's been overlooked.

It's worth mentioning that this season just ended included Burton Albion (7,000) and Brentford (12,700) - more League One in scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

greenspurs wrote: »
    Pochettino signs new 5 year contract !

Great news. Levy must be gonna stump up big bucks for THFC to drive on!!

"Hes magic you know"
    Serious question here (not WUMming you); say in the next 18 months, you don't win any silverware, but you do get consecutive top 4 finishes. Would Levy be happy with that? CL = serious money. And that new stadium (very impressive looking so far) won't come cheap. And what about the fans; would they be happy with the same scenario?

blueser wrote: »
    And what about the fans; would they be happy with the same scenario?

TBH - I wouldn't, and most Spurs fans would be the same. We havent won the F.A cup since 91, and 2 League cups (we do count them as honours ;) )

Re. Top4 - That's 3 years in a row now, so could you rate Spurs as a regular Top4 finisher now/yet?
    Levy would be happy (if we can use the image created by the media as a money hungry chairman) but his players, and ultimately , the manager wouldn't. I think all players and managers want to win things, and wages help.
    I think we can take it that Levy will be giving Poch the money he wants/needs for the summer transfer window (he did sign a new contract after subtle hints in interviews that he mightn't) .
    So hopefully, next year will be ours (sorry Pool fans :P ) and we get to put something in the shiny new Trophy cabinet in (the new) White Hart Lane.
    'Hes magic you know' ..... COYS

Interesting article, listing the three words that fans of PL clubs associate with their own club;

http://www.mandatory.com/culture/1292507-premier-league-algorithm-finds-hilarious-top-three-words-fans-use-clubs

Disappointing to see that "empty" only comes in third for us. Had to laugh at the Stoke and utd entries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Before I look at that

Liverpool - inconsistent, exciting, frustrating.

(okay, now I'll see how near/far I was....)

edit 80s, pressing, obsessed? Pah!

hang on that list reads like what fans in general think about clubs, rather than their own.

Before I look at that

Liverpool - inconsistent, exciting, frustrating.

(okay, now I'll see how near/far I was....)

edit 80s, pressing, obsessed? Pah!

hang on that list reads like what fans in general think about clubs, rather than their own.
    It does come across that way to me as well. Maybe it's the three words that fans of PL clubs think fans of other PL clubs use about them. Would Bournemouth fans really use "mighty" about their own team? Or Huddersfield fans with "fancy"?

• Advertisement
Advertisement