Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

City were nailed on to win the league this time last season. Let's wait and see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    Meant, liverpool shouldn't have been troubled by Burnley...

If liverpool could be bothered buying a defence, then they would be very much be city rivals.

That logic can be used with every team
    If Arsenal had bothered buying Messi..........
    Even with a defence Liverpool are a good bit behind Chelsea/City/United
    Honestly i dont see them ahead of Spurs/Arsenal as they havent strengthened enough

Everton
    City were nailed on to win the league this time last season. Let's wait and see.

Do you see them winning?
    I dont personally, i see them getting off to a burning start going through a slump where teams figure it out then finish strong, the problem is i see United/Chelsea being ahead by then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Liverpool
    Two poor points dropped by Burnley today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    Not just pl but....

Liverpool's upcoming fixtures - just 1 home game

Leicester City (A - League Cup)
    Leicester City (A - Premier League)
    Spartak Moscow (A - Champions League)
    Newcastle United (A - Premier League)
    Manchester United (H - Premier League)
    Maribor (A - Champions League)
    Spurs (A - Premier League)

Tough run that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Jayop wrote: »
    Not just pl but....

Liverpool's upcoming fixtures - just 1 home game

Leicester City (A - League Cup)
    Leicester City (A - Premier League)
    Spartak Moscow (A - Champions League)
    Newcastle United (A - Premier League)
    Manchester United (H - Premier League)
    Maribor (A - Champions League)
    Spurs (A - Premier League)

Tough run that.

Probably do better in those games because the teams will have bit of a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I'm not going to get carried away by the start we've had, encouraging though it obviously is. There's no medals handed out in September. Similarly, I wasn't overly worried about united's early form, which had the media gushing over them. There's a lot of potential for fcuk ups between now and May. For both teams.

Everton
    Man this is a boring game. Could be the Hoddle effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

irishman86 wrote: »
    That logic can be used with every team
    If Arsenal had bothered buying Messi..........

Even with a defence Liverpool are a good bit behind Chelsea/City/United
    Honestly i dont see them ahead of Spurs/Arsenal as they havent strengthened enough

But there is no logic to Arsenal buying Messi as clearly he wouldn't go to them in a million years.

It's clearly not unreasonable for people to be saying that maybe if Liverpools defence and goalkeeper improved they might be a better team and have a chance of contending.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Very impressive today from City but they drew against an average Everton side, picked up a winner in something like the 200th minute vs Bournemouth and the red very much shaped what was a close game at the time v Liverpool.

Nothing to get too carried away with this season yet for them, nobody can rival them in sheer attacking talent but still think Chelsea have a slightly better all around 11, and more importantly I think they have more character when the chips are down and they're up against it.

Everton
    But there is no logic to Arsenal buying Messi as clearly he wouldn't go to them in a million years.

It's clearly not unreasonable for people to be saying that maybe if Liverpools defence and goalkeeper improved they might be a better team and have a chance of contending.

Fine sub VVD and Icardi, you can use any player Messi was proving a point on how stupid it is to think if we signed X players we would have won/challenged the league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

irishman86 wrote: »
    Fine sub VVD and Icardi, you can use any player Messi was proving a point on how stupid it is to think if we signed X players we would have won/challenged the league

But if Liverpool had signed Virgil Van Dyke and it is realistic that they could sign him they would probably have a better defence and therefore be a better team right now.

Your Arsenal example wasn't remotely realistic and therefore it didn't make any sense as a way of dismissing the point being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Very impressive today from City but they drew against an average Everton side, picked up a winner in something like the 200th minute vs Bournemouth and the red very much shaped what was a close game at the time v Liverpool.

Nothing to get too carried away with this season yet for them, nobody can rival them in sheer attacking talent but still think Chelsea have a slightly better all around 11, and more importantly I think they have more character when the chips are down and they're up against it.

City have the best 11 in the league IMO, followed by Chelsea, than United a bit behind.

Everton
    Lukker- wrote: »
    City have the best 11 in the league IMO, followed by Chelsea, than United a bit behind.

Probably fair enough although on paper I don't think there's a lot between us and Chelsea.

Spurs

Chelsea have a better goalkeeper, entire defence(Kompany doesn't seem to be a factor these days due to persistent injuries) and one of the best DM's in world football protecting them, and also arguably the best player in the league in Hazard, for me it's stronger. City have them on squad depth though.

• Advertisement

Everton
    The crowd being so far back makes for a crap atmosphere

Liverpool

City are the best but not a whole lot between the other two.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    We need another CB (cover for Vinnie, whose later career has been ruined by continuing injuries), a defensive midfielder to eventually replace Dinho and another striker (we only have two out and out strikers really; if one or both of them get injured, we're up sh1t creek without a paddle).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal

Why have utd up there, they have come no where challenging since Ferguson left. Spurs and Liverpool have consistently finished ahead of them since he left.

Liverpool
    blueser wrote: »
    We need another CB (cover for Vinnie, whose later career has been ruined by continuing injuries), a defensive midfielder to eventually replace Dinho and another striker (we only have two out and out strikers really; if one or both of them get injured, we're up sh1t creek without a paddle).

You'll be ok this season. Stones seems to have matured a bit compared to last season and you'll get a few games out of Vinny.

• Advertisement

Spurs
    If City/Chelsea combined squads the starting lineup would be for me(assuming 3-4-3)

Courtois

Luiz Rudigar Azpil

Walker De Bruyne Kante Alonso

Hazard Kun Jesus

As I said Kompany would be in on talent but hasn't proven himself fit enough for a stretch of games for a good while now. The wide positions probably the trickiest to choose, Mendy could well prove himself the best but impossible to leave Alonso out on his form. Not a whole lot between Walker or Moses, and Zappacosta could prove the best in that position, but Walker probably just gets the nod. You could play 4 at the back too and incorporate Silva in, probably the most unlucky player to miss out. But it would be difficult to choose a majority of city players in the line up imo.

You'll be ok this season. Stones seems to have matured a bit compared to last season and you'll get a few games out of Vinny.
    Stones is coming on, that's true. Otamendi though; he frightens me! Salah had him on toast last weekend, at least in the early stages. Mendy not covering him didn't help, mind. But I'm assuming that was with Pep's approval as that left flank was in front of the dugouts in the first half last weekend and Pep never said anything to Mendy. Pep eventually switched Otamendi back to a central role and moved Stones to the left side of the central defence, in time for the second half. With Vinnie, I don't know, to be honest. On his day, I still believe he's one of the best CBs in the league. But his calf is made of glass. We need to start planning now for life after him, not 6 or 9 months down the line.

Everton
    Man they really are crap at wembley. Unlucky today but this is a problem and they'll do well to be near top 6 if they don't sort it quick.

Liverpool
    Jayop wrote: »
    Man they really are crap at wembley. Unlucky today but this is a problem and they'll do well to be near top 6 if they don't sort it quick.

I said before the season started that Spurs biggest hurdle this season would be Wembley. Lots of teams struggle to cope with a change in stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Meant, liverpool shouldn't have been troubled by Burnley...

Either should Chelsea or Spurs but sure there you go.

Everton
    But if Liverpool had signed Virgil Van Dyke and it is realistic that they could sign him they would probably have a better defence and therefore be a better team right now.

Your Arsenal example wasn't remotely realistic and therefore it didn't make any sense as a way of dismissing the point being made.

But its just as realistic as the Liverpool example as it cant happen
    The whole thing is ifs and buts
    Realistic or not neither came true
    So they cant be a better team as neither signed those players so arent title contenders
    How is it realistic they could sign VVD when clearly they couldn't so whats your basis for this realism that doesnt exist :confused:
    My point 100% makes sense, im actually shocked you couldnt follow it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    I'm shocked you could.

Everton
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I'm shocked you could.

Lets see, neither play for the teams so neither are a option Messi/VVD both moved exactly the same amount this summer zero
    Its not exactly rocket science, like i said all ifs and buts which in reality means nothing
    Liverpool arent challengers to the top teams they are competing for forth place
    I would back them to beat any team over two legs though, i'd like to see them do well in CL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why have utd up there, they have come no where challenging since Ferguson left. Spurs and Liverpool have consistently finished ahead of them since he left.

Wrong. Since SAF retired Liverpool finished above United twice in 4 years, that's not consistently finishing above them. Spurs and Arsenal finished above United consistently, not Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool
    Either should Chelsea or Spurs but sure there you go.

Chelsea had 10 men for majority of that game and then went down to 9 to be fair and they still looked like they could have got something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

They will be punished every single game.

They have Hodgson as manager.

Won't someone think of the Palace fans?:(

Typical Roy, "things could get worse before they get better"
    He says this wherever he goes, he did it with England also, lower the expectation so as when they get a couple of good results its like the second coming of Christ :eek:
    He has to be one of the most over rated coaches ever, his CV is mediocre at best, a journeyman manager who has achieved sweet FA.

Must be a nightmare to play for as he drains all confidence and sets the bar so low.

Arsenal seem to have thrown the towel in before KO.

DJ7D_Y5XkAARCRe.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Arsenal seem to have thrown the towel in before KO.

DJ7D_Y5XkAARCRe.jpg

Why? Sanchez on the bench is the only thing questionable, Hazard is on Chelsea's bench, what does that mean?

Chelsea will waltz through that midfield (or Xhaka will be red carded)

Everton
    What's that, three really bad arsenal mistakes already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Chelsea will waltz through that midfield (or Xhaka will be red carded)

That's different to what you said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Liverpool
    No signs of towel throwing so fsr

Spurs
    David Luiz makes everything look so easy. He's matured into the class act all his big fees would suggest he should be. Probably best defender in the league now.

Everton
    Lolwut a miss.

• Advertisement

Everton
    Montreal has a shot from about 40 yards to the wrong goal. Cech did amazingly well not to use his hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Arsenal looking like a different team today against a top side. Set up to play as a solid unit, with no passengers.

Everton
    Berserker wrote: »
    Arsenal looking like a different team today against a top side. Set up to play as a solid unit, with no passengers.

Yeah they had a really shakey first few minutes but after that looked good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    Seemed like a pretty negative, saftey-first approach from Chelsea there.

Didn't catch the first half, mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

That was a good performance from Arsenal. Just makes their usual performances away to big teams look even worse. I'd have some sympathy for Wenger because the players clearly don't give their best every week. I doubt there was a big difference in terms of Wenger's approach to the game, the players just showed up for once.

That was a good performance from Arsenal. Just makes their usual performances away to big teams look even worse. I'd have some sympathy for Wenger because the players clearly don't give their best every week. I doubt there was a big difference in terms of Wenger's approach to the game, the players just showed up for once.
    Agree. Watching them today, and comparing it to the farce at Anfield, Questions have to be asked of the players. Today is, on paper, a tougher game given the quality of the opposition players. Yet they played far better today than they did at Anfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

No Ozil today, so maybe no coincidence they were better.

The guy is full of talent but just doesn't have that aggression and fire you need for a big game, he's consistently a passenger for them

Spurs
    Koeman gonna start coming under pressure soon. He's turned them into a boring, slow and predictable outfit, signings look very uninspired so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Koeman gonna start coming under pressure soon. He's turned them into a boring, slow and predictable outfit, signings look very uninspired so far.

They have had a very difficult start fixture-wise. They should start to pick up points from next week onwards, but they do need to start winning quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

xG table after this weeks fixtures.

Burnley have been extremely lucky.
    Palace extremely unlucky.
    Chelsea not creating enough chances.

LGJDHQC.png

• Everton
    blueser wrote: »
    Agree. Watching them today, and comparing it to the farce at Anfield, Questions have to be asked of the players. Today is, on paper, a tougher game given the quality of the opposition players. Yet they played far better today than they did at Anfield.

Well at least Wenger decided to play his players in the correct positions for a start

• Advertisement
Advertisement