Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    FA are banning pitch designs for the coming year too.

Horizontal lines are the order of the day and thats that, no more fancy Leicester like designs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Obviously thinking about the poor linoes

Liverpool
    The list of ex players, managers and officials that will review diving incidents has been released.

Some questionnable people in there.

Ex-player/manager :

Nigel Adkins
    Rachel Brown-Finnis
    Terry Butcher
    Lee Dixon
    Alex McLeish
    Danny Murphy
    Chris Powell
    Trevor Sinclair

Ex-Officials :

Keren Barratt
    Steve Dunn
    Mike Mullarkey
    Alan Wiley
    Eddie Wolstenhome

Women?!

https://www.premierleague.com/news/444152?sf103435212=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

So how will this work in fact? Will refs be vigilant all the time or get lazy on 50/50s and let the panel deal with it on Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    Ex-player/manager :

Nigel Adkins - Barely managed in the top flight. Never played in it I think.
    Rachel Brown-Finnis - Liverpool and Everton player.
    Terry Butcher - Ipswich
    Lee Dixon - Arsenal
    Alex McLeish - Birmingham and Villa
    Danny Murphy - Liverpool
    Chris Powell - Charlton
    Trevor Sinclair - QPR and City

I'm sorry, but who the christ thought that was a neutral group of ex players and managers. Only Adkins, Butcher, Powell and McLeish could in anyway be claimed to be non bias.

2 ex Liverpool
    1 ex Arsenal
    1 ex City
    0 ex United

Yeah I can see that being wholly devoid of intergrity if an important decision is to be made. Murphy and Dixon have already proven themselves in capable of being honest about what they see while pretending to be pundits. Joke shop stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If anybody in the FA has ever read some of Sinclair's tweets, he'd be off the panel straight away.

Jayop wrote: »
    Ex-player/manager :

Terry Butcher - Ipswich
    Lee Dixon - Arsenal
    Danny Murphy - Liverpool
    Chris Powell - Charlton

I'm sorry, but who the christ thought that was a neutral group of ex players and managers. Only Adkins, Butcher, Powell and McLeish could in anyway be claimed to be non bias.

2 ex Liverpool
    1 ex Arsenal
    1 ex City
    0 ex United

Yeah I can see that being wholly devoid of intergrity if an important decision is to be made. Murphy and Dixon have already proven themselves in capable of being honest about what they see while pretending to be pundits. Joke shop stuff.

It's as if Danny Murphy didn't spend most of his career at other clubs. Also if Man Utd had a woman's side they might have had a representative with two X chromosomes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Crystal Palace
    Jayop wrote: »
    Ex-player/manager :

Terry Butcher - Ipswich
    Lee Dixon - Arsenal
    Danny Murphy - Liverpool
    Chris Powell - Charlton

2 ex Liverpool
    1 ex Arsenal
    1 ex City
    0 ex United

There's no ex Chelsea player there or a host of other clubs either. What do you want them to do? Have 20 ex pros one from each premier league club? Uproar over nothing tbh.

Everton
    It's as if Danny Murphy didn't spend most of his career at other clubs. Also if Man Utd had a woman's side they might have had a representative with two X chromosomes

I didn't mention her being a woman. It makes no difference to me.

• Advertisement

Everton
    There's no ex Chelsea player there or a host of other clubs either. What do you want them to do? Have 20 ex pros one from each premier league club? Uproar over nothing tbh.

Indeed Chelsea don't. But if you're going to have people as clearly and publicly bias as Murphy and Dixon on there then maybe it should be a full panel with a rep from each club and allow them to vote. There's what 12 already so why not 20 and a ref as a deciding vote? Surely that's fairer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Arsenal
    Surely if it's a panel of 'experts' then Stevie G should be on it? Going by Origi he's doing a great job teaching.

Dixon and Murphy are fairly sober observers of the game, I notice there is no whining about Chris Powell...

Everton
    Dixon and Murphy are fairly sober observers of the game, I notice there is no whining about Chris Powell...

Murphy in particular detests united. Sorry but someone like that should be excluded from any jury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Stoke and Newcastle must be among the favourites to head down. Neither club has any kind of proper squad with a week to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Mark Clattenburg is BT's new in house referee taking over from Howard Webb.

Never heard him speak before he has a squeaky voice that really doesn't go with his cockiness I did laugh when I heard him talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Never heard him speak before he has a squeaky voice that really doesn't go with his cockiness I did laugh when I heard him talk.

Bah, I thought we got rid of him for good.

Everton
    Surely to God he'll be better than Webb was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Has a referee on BT ever, ever disagreed with a decision? It's a ridiculous addition to the broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Liverpool
    Another year at Arsenal. Look promising, then collapse. Same thing every year.

Liverpool
    The double traitor Fabregas is playing I see I wonder will he betray Chelsea soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everton
    McManaman on Kolasanic

"He has now made a name for himself........you can tell he is going to become a cult figure at Arsenal"

This is after he scores an equaliser against 10 men in the Charity Shield!

What next, a Rob Holding statue outside The Emirates after scoring the winner against Bournemouth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Liverpool
    McManaman on Kolasanic

"He has now made a name for himself........you can tell he is going to become a cult figure at Arsenal"

This is after he scores an equaliser against 10 men in the Charity Shield!

What next, a Rob Holding statue outside The Emirates after scoring the winner against Bournemouth!
    the man is going to be a legend. That's
    my opinion after watching him for 90 mins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ready to see the new ABBA pen system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

greendom wrote: »
    the man is going to be a legend. That's
    my opinion after watching him for 90 mins!

Kolasinac wasnt on the pitch for 90mins :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Liverpool
    So is Pedro suspended for the first three games or not? Seeing people say that he wouldn't be if it was two yellows but he is due to a straight red. No idea what's going on myself.

Liverpool
    I think red was fair for that myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Liverpool
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Kolasinac wasnt on the pitch for 90mins :P

fair point ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

So is Pedro suspended for the first three games or not? Seeing people say that he wouldn't be if it was two yellows but he is due to a straight red. No idea what's going on myself.

No ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

No this is seen as a one off game and cards just active for this game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everton
    Who gave Steve McManaman a job in commentating.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    McManaman is a very decent in studio pundit but he's not a colour man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

pjohnson wrote: »
    Stoke and Newcastle must be among the favourites to head down. Neither club has any kind of proper squad with a week to go.

Newcastle are crying out for a striker and defensive cover.

It's pretty much the same team as last year with a few upgrades here and there.

Lejune looks very tidy and will likely slot right in.

Shelvey looks incredibly fit at this stage already but injuries to himself and Gayle and we'll be in for a tough season.

Wouldn't trust Mitrovic to come up with the goods.

I'm not entirely worried going into the season but the market has been a complete clusterfúck to try and get players in.

Can't judge a whole lot from pre season but we've a squad of players that seem happy to be at the club and will give it all for the shirt and this is probably what we need right now given the amount of players that constantly threw in the towel previously.

I'd like to see big names coming in for sure but I have faith that Rafa can keep us in the Premier League and rebuild slowly.

Liverpool
    First game back kicks off tonight, Arsenal v Leicester.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Is there a boards Fantasy PL league?

Lukker- wrote: »
    Is there a boards Fantasy PL league?

All the info you need is here pal.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1535

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    Excited!!

Ah there's Mike Ashley now on Sky saying that we can't compete with the likes of Man City by splashing out £200m cheques for players....

Nobody even asked for that amount...

We're nowhere near the level of Man City....

What the actual fúck man?

Not even kicked a ball yet and we're going to be the biggest joke of a club this season.

Let the festivities begin!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Ah there's Mike Ashley now on Sky saying that we can't compete with the likes of Man City by splashing out £200m cheques for players....

Nobody even asked for that amount...

We're nowhere near the level of Man City....

What the actual fúck man?

Not even kicked a ball yet and we're going to be the biggest joke of a club this season.

Let the festivities begin!!

Jaysus he comes out with some absolute ****e, can only pity the fans of that club, ye deserve so much more than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Liverpool & Arsenal I expect to struggle early doors but not Chelsea :eek:

• Advertisement

• Everton
    Chelsea :P

Wtf crazy season already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Liverpool
    This is the proper thread, just picked man city to win the league, still wouldn't be confident despite the underwhelming showings of 3 of their 5 rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

David Luiz is some tantrum throwing brat. Ref showing incredible restraint not to have sent him off. Fair play to Chelsea though for their effort in this half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    Chelsea down to 9 men! Fabregas arguing with the ref about a second yellow when in reality it could've been a straight red.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Everton
    How do Burnley sit back and let Chelsea dominate with only 9 men? They have no business being in this league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    Wonder if one of the stipulations of the massive increase in TV money was for the clubs to quietly scrap defending altogether?

• Advertisement

Bad opening day for De Boer. Time to tell the lads you won a champions league Frank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

ERG89 wrote: »
    Bad opening day for De Boer. Time to tell the lads you won a champions league Frank
    I know it's early days but when I saw that he was appointed at Palace my first thought was relegation. It just doesn't feel right. It's like giving Simon Dyche the Arsenal job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Liverpool
    Going to be a massacre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Why is there 2 active threads does anyone know?

Why is Knockhaert on the bench?

• Advertisement
Advertisement