Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

ok - let the mods decide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    rwbug wrote: »
    ok - let the mods decide

Yeah let's. ****ing scum thing to call someone.

OK - if racial stereotyping isn't racist - you are innocent. If I am in the wrong here I will ban myself.

Everton
    OK - if racial stereotyping isn't racist - you are innocent. If I am in the wrong here I will ban myself.

Sure you will.

Jayop wrote: »
    Sure you will.

Feck it. These boards are unfriendly enough as is as a City fan. Carry on with your casual racism. Will ban myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Grudging admiration for the MUFC fans continuing to sing the Lukaku song and tagging on "we're Man Utd, we'll sing what we want" at the end.
    I'm not a big fan of Baron/Lord Herman George Ouseley being an arbiter of what the working man should or shouldn't sing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Everton
    "It's a **** chant, but racial stereotypes aren't the same as racism."

It is racism. Period. You are not the worst offender by far - but it is still wrong.

The guy disagreed with the chant, called it ****.
    You called him out as a racist which to be fair judging by what you quoted him on is nonsense.

And then its the "You are not the worst offender by far" bit.....so you reckon theres quite a few racists then on the forum..

Everton
    Feck it. These boards are unfriendly enough as is as a City fan. Carry on with your casual racism. Will ban myself.

That's twice you called me a racist. ****ing scumbag thing to call someone and again I'll ask you to show where I've been racist.

Everton
    AidoEirE wrote: »
    The guy disagreed with the chant, called it ****.
    You called him out as a racist which to be fair judging by what you quoted him on is nonsense.

And then its the "You are not the worst offender by far" bit.....so you reckon theres quite a few racists then on the forum..

Ah he's gone into his poor city fan shell. Awww it's hard for them here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Liverpool
    Bunch of white lads arguing over what a black lad can and can't be offended by.

Everton
    Bunch of white lads arguing over what a black lad can and can't be offended by.

No. Someone arguing over being called a racist twice. Very different.

Everton
    And funny the only person that claims to be a person of colour was shown with be a whopper about what he claimed to be offended by.

Erm, some car crash stuff here.

The Lukaku chant is racist. Saying another racist chant, the Ji Sung Park one, was "allowed" is bizarre. That was racist too. But it doesn't mean that all such efforts should be allowed from then on. Not the worst form of racism, granted. Not like a violent attack or a monkey chant. But suspect those defending it here wouldn't dream of saying it to a young black person.

And it is not excused by the fact that football chants can be crude and offensive.

But most of all, whether one finds it racist or not, it's pretty stupid. And banning it hardly deprives us of some work of art. Just like calls to ban gas oven noises at Spurs, the edgy homosexual chants at Brighton, life will go on afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Everton
    Erm, some car crash stuff here.

The Lukaku chant is racist. Saying another racist chant, the Ji Sung Park one, was "allowed" is bizarre. That was racist too. But it doesn't mean that all such efforts should be allowed from then on. Not the worst form of racism, granted. Not like a violent attack or a monkey chant. But suspect those defending it here wouldn't dream of saying it to a young black person.

And it is not excused by the fact that football chants can be crude and offensive.

But most of all, whether one finds it racist or not, it's pretty stupid. And banning it hardly deprives us of some work of art. Just like calls to ban gas oven noises at Spurs, the edgy homosexual chants at Brighton, life will go on afterwards.

Nobody here is defending the chant though. In fact we all think its ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Oh so this thread has become an After Hours thread. Can we not have a good old Utd vs. Liverpool debate?

• Advertisement

• Everton
    On a different topic..

I thought the referees in both the Southampton v Utd & Leicester v Liverpool games contained some of the worst officiating of the season so far.

I found it so odd it was hardly discussed by pundits and the likes.

Continuous bizarre decisions and yellow cards galore for absolutely nothing. Factor in missed penalty shouts and diving going unpunished

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Everton
    My opinion on the Lukaku chant is that the player has indicated that he wants the fans to stops singing it and I think that needs to be respected. But the main reason I think it should be stopped is not because of what Lukaku has said, not because of the "racism" angle, but because its a stupidly crude song. A football match is, for many a family outing. If I had young kids with me at a game I wouldnt want them to be listening to grown men singing such pathetic nonsense. And that goes for plenty of football chants.

Which brings me to my next point. I'd normally attend 6 or 7 games a year. But I just dont like to sing or shout. I like to focus on a match. Try and keeps the stats for players in my head as the game progresses. Years ago if I was at a game with mates and we started singing, I found it distracted is us from really analysing the game. Fair enough some people love to sing at match. Thats great. A nosy stadium does add to the atmosphere. But not everyone enjoys participating in it. So it does p!ss me off that I have often been labeled a "day tripper" etc. just because I'd prefer to fully focus on the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Jayop wrote: »
    Aye refs I'm both united and Liverpool games I watched today were awful. Literally joke shop stuff.

Morata looks an absolutely unbelievable player so far. Clinical isn't even covering it. The league has some top strikers at the moment
    We know, Jayo, we know......:pac:

Everton
    We know, Jayo, we know......:pac:

Don't think I've been accused of being a closet Liverpool fan too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

not because of the "racism" angle, but because its a stupidly crude song. A football match is, for many a family outing. If I had young kids with me at a game I wouldnt want them to be listening to grown men singing such pathetic nonsense. And that goes for plenty of football chants.

So, you think that any crude chant, not necessarily racist or offensive, should be removed from the terraces?
    Which brings me to my next point. I'd normally attend 6 or 7 games a year. .... So it does p!ss me off that I have often been labeled a "day tripper" etc. just because I'd prefer to fully focus on the game.

I do not know who you support but I suspect that you support a big PL club. I'd imagine that the "day tripper" line comes from the fact that you travel from Ireland, I'd imagine, to England to watch your team and you don't live in the city in question. It has nothing to do with the fact that you prefer to watch the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I didn't watch the United game so I can't comment on the officiating outside of the Mourinho sending off. I don't get what the complaints are about honestly. He had been warned before for encroaching. He was literally on the pitch, inches away from the Southampton LB/LM, on a counter attack, he knew exactly what he was doing.

The strawman of Klopp always get's pulled up on this, "he gets free reign to bounce around like a clown". Sure, watching Klopp jump around is annoying at the best of times, especially when you are playing Liverpool, but he stays within his technical area. Mourinho was interfering with play on a counter-attack. He can have no complaints, he knew exactly what he was doing.

hl2hv8j9dunz.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Delighted for Chris Hughton hopefully he can keep Brighton up this season.

Hopefully the FAI when they decided to sack O'Neill they will offer the job to Hughton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Where's Gary Neville today? The game not big enough for him? Remember Andy Gray back in the day, no game too big or too small. Probably why he was respected as an analyst because he was enthusiastic and interested in every game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everton
    Where's Gary Neville today? The game not big enough for him? Remember Andy Gray back in the day, no game too big or too small. Probably why he was respected as an analyst because he was enthusiastic and interested in every game.

:confused:

Was he not commentating at the Bournemouth - Brighton match a while ago! Rather dismisses a silly point!

He can't be involved in every game. He will be commentating tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Where's Gary Neville today?

He probably fell asleep watching it like myself

Everton
    ERG89 wrote: »

How dare you. Shameless, Andy Gray would never do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs

Respected? Gray was a clueless scumbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Must have been fairly tired, thought it was a very decent game myself.

Rekop dog wrote: »

Respected? Gray was a clueless scumbag

He was respected as an analyst whether you try to change history or not.

Corholio wrote: »

Must have been fairly tired, thought it was a very decent game myself.

Probably didn't have any fantasy players involved or any of the other bells and whistles people need these days to sit through a game.

• Advertisement

Was he not commentating at the Bournemouth - Brighton match a while ago! Rather dismisses a silly point!

Super Sunday is Sky's showpiece event, but this game was dismissed by them as just one to get through. I'm not having a tantrum or anything but just think it was bad form that their two main analysts weren't there.

I think the league needs equal coverage and Sky should be giving equal importance to every game, not just hyping up the six biggest teams further engineering this gap that has emerged.

If Gary Neville or Carra only see this as a hobby, then I think they need someone who sees it as a proper job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Super Sunday is Sky's showpiece event, but this game was dismissed by them as just one to get through. I'm not having a tantrum or anything but just think it was bad form that their two main analysts weren't there.

I think the league needs equal coverage and Sky should be giving equal importance to every game, not just hyping up the six biggest teams further engineering this gap that has emerged.

If Gary Neville or Carra only see this as a hobby, then I think they need someone who sees it as a proper job.

Maybe they're on holidays or a family member is ill, I wouldn't be spending time thinking too much of it tbh. It's why they have a panel, to spread it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Everton
    Berserker wrote: »
    So, you think that any crude chant, not necessarily racist or offensive, should be removed from the terraces?

I think it's embarrassing that grown men feel the need to sing these crude chants. Especially singing about the size of someones d!ck when you are in close proximity to young children, that's just pathetic in my opinion.
    I do not know who you support but I suspect that you support a big PL club. I'd imagine that the "day tripper" line comes from the fact that you travel from Ireland, I'd imagine, to England to watch your team and you don't live in the city in question. It has nothing to do with the fact that you prefer to watch the game.

Yes I support Manchester Utd. I dont think its because of my Irish background. I have a friend from Manchester who doesn't feel comfortable singing at games and has also been labelled a "daytripper/not a real fan" by fellow supports and rivals of other clubs.

Everton

Christ almighty. Bizarre post. Who cares

• Everton
    I think it's embarrassing that grown men feel the need to sing these crude chants. Especially singing about the size of someones d!ck when you are in close proximity to young children, that's just pathetic in my opinion.

Yes I support Manchester Utd. I dont think its because of my Irish background. I have a friend from Manchester who doesn't feel comfortable singing at games and has also been labelled a "daytripper/not a real fan" by fellow supports and rivals of other clubs.

To note: This is a general comment and not related to the Lukaku chant as I'm done with discussing that.

Each to there own. Enjoy the game how you want to.
    Personally I like the bantz and the chanting while watching but would never begrudge anyone who sits quietly to watch the game.

There is an aspect within Old Trafford however where it can either be extremely atmospheric or extremely quite.

I know the supporter groups are working on getting more noise in the stadium. The CL game last week was quite enough so possibly a reaction to that.

Spurs
    He was respected as an analyst whether you try to change history or not.

I'm not sure who you're speaking for with this but lots disliked him including his own production team who leaked the videos. His analysis was very basic and for the lowest common denominator of viewers. He was a moron and a bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Probably didn't have any fantasy players involved or any of the other bells and whistles people need these days to sit through a game.

Nah I don't play FF or bet on football I watch it for entertainment, it was a low quality game between 2 ordinary teams. It looked that on paper tbf :p:p

Christ almighty. Bizarre post. Who cares

What's bizarre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I dont have sky for a few years but is this really the first time EVER that Carra/Neville have missed a game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Liverpool
    pjohnson wrote: »
    I dont have sky for a few years but is this really the first time EVER that Carra/Neville have missed a game?
    No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    It's not that difficult to understand really. Usually Sky have 2 matches on a sunday, yesterday was only 1. They have a lot of pundits and commentators that need to be used so between saturday lunch, yesterday and tonights monday night football they were probably all used in some form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Rodriguez should have stayed down, definite penalty

Spurs
    That was a pen all day long. Striker shouldn't be punished for not waiting for a whistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

That's a scandalous (non) decision. As blatant a penalty as you'll see. Pulis will be raging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Can see why players go to ground when you see that. The fact that Rodriguez stayed on his feet probably made the ref think it wasn't a foul. Stonewall penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Liverpool
    Players expected to play to the whistle but if he stays on the ground there or grabs the ball with his hands he's given a penalty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The officials having a 'mare. Again

Spurs
    J should have a hattrick!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I doubt the lads pick and choose the games they work for. Do you decide when you go to work or does your employer (generally with some flexibility and holiday entitlement).

Spurs
    Already looking forward to the Chelsea v City clash Saturday evening. League seems to be finally getting it's **** together, this is probably the highest quality match-up in some years.

Shame they didn't schedule it for Sunday, hard to not say City have an slight advantage due to longer rest period, but with Hazard back fully fit Chelsea have the leagues best big game influencer who thrives in these sort of games.

• Advertisement
Advertisement