Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Already looking forward to the Chelsea v City clash Saturday evening. League seems to be finally getting it's **** together, this is probably the highest quality match-up in some years.

Shame they didn't schedule it for Sunday, hard to not say City have an slight advantage due to longer rest period, but with Hazard back fully fit Chelsea have the leagues best big game influencer who thrives in these sort of games.

The fact that BT can't show games on a Sunday is going to f*ck up loads of good fixtures this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    It should have been moved due to the CL games but ya, the £ comes before anything else in the league.

Arsenal and Everton are playing on Sunday, theyre both playing tonight so thats fair but Newcastle v Liverpool on Sunday should have been moved.

I dont think City should be favourites, theyve only won 1 league game at the Bridge in the last couple of years but I certainly would fear them, theyre the best side in the league at the moment IMO but we've already played a couple of very tough games, arguably, City or Utd havent had that test yet, should be an interesting game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Lukker- wrote: »
    The fact that BT can't show games on a Sunday is going to f*ck up loads of good fixtures this season.

BT can show games on a Sunday in fact this weekends games go like
    Saturday Sept 30th
    Huddersfield Town v Tottenham Hotspur Premier League 12:30 Sky
    Chelsea v Man City Premier League 17:30 BT Sport

Sunday Oct 1st
    Arsenal v Brighton & Hove Albion Premier League 12:00 BT Sport
    Everton v Burnley Premier League 14:15 Sky
    Newcastle United v Liverpool Premier League 16:30 Sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Kun injured in a car crash in Holland and out for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Kun injured in a car crash in Holland and out for the weekend.
    I'll sell my soul to Satan for it to be just the weekend. Rumours flying around that it could be up to 11 games. Fractured rib(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Arsenal
    Saw the pics of the car. Jasus looked a bad crash and could of been a lot worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Seems the rumours are he was in Amsterdam to pick up his son who was flying in from Argentina to attend the Chelsea game

https://twitter.com/shaneburns_/status/913626971065724929

• Everton
    blueser wrote: »
    I'll sell my soul to Satan for it to be just the weekend. Rumours flying around that it could be up to 11 games. Fractured rib(s).

It could be alot worse lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    Its handy for us if he is out but I wish him a speedy recovery and no serious or lasting injuries, on form and injury free, hes the best CF in the league IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Liverpool
    Hope he's well. By all accounts he's a lucky git he wore his belt.

Mendy out for the season and most likely a decent absence for Aguero too...been a rotten 24hrs for City. For all the strength they have in the squad they've been hit in the areas with least coverage. Huge test for them now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    Hope he's OK. Looks a bad enough accident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

BT can show games on a Sunday in fact this weekends games go like
    Saturday Sept 30th
    Huddersfield Town v Tottenham Hotspur Premier League 12:30 Sky
    Chelsea v Man City Premier League 17:30 BT Sport

Sunday Oct 1st
    Arsenal v Brighton & Hove Albion Premier League 12:00 BT Sport
    Everton v Burnley Premier League 14:15 Sky
    Newcastle United v Liverpool Premier League 16:30 Sky

BT can only use Sunday slots in limited circumstances.
    Arsenal playing in the Europa on Thursday is one such reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

BT can only use Sunday slots in limited circumstances.
    Arsenal playing in the Europa on Thursday is one such reason.

They are also showing Spurs V Palace on November 5th with neither team in the Europa League.

6 midweek; and 8 at Sat 12.30pm or Sat 5.30pm or Sun 12pm BT

That is what they can show along with the other 28 games they have on Saturday tea time.

So they have 8 games that can be either their normal tv coverage at Saturday tea time or split between Saturday and Sunday Lunchtimes

Spurs
    My god he's lethal.

Keep Kane fit and Spurs could win it this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    Back to Narcos i go. This match is over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Unearthly wrote: »
    Back to Narcos i go. This match is over

3 nil. Ouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Kane is some player. Yeah, he shoots too much and is a bit selfish......but when you can score like that who cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Kirby wrote: »
    Kane is some player. Yeah, he shoots too much and is a bit selfish......but when you can score like that who cares.

He's some kid - just keeps banging them in. What's the purple patch up to now? 2 and a half years? :p

• Advertisement

fyfe79 wrote: »
    He's some kid - just keeps banging them in. What's the purple patch up to now? 2 and a half years? :p

When he broke into the Spurs team I remember having a conversation with one of my good mates. I claimed that he would go on to be one of the worlds best and he looked at me like I'd two heads. But I was convinced. Very early on. He called him a flash in the pan, the next Andy Carroll. We would go on to debate it for the next few seasons.....and eventually he stopped arguing with me because the goals just couldn't be ignored.

It's easy to be captain hindsight, but Kane is definately one I got right.

Charles N'zogbia on the other hand.....yeah not my finest pick. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Liverpool
    Meh, he's a 3 season wonder or is it 4 seasons?

Kirby wrote: »
    When he broke into the Spurs team I remember having a conversation with one of my good mates. I claimed that he would go on to be one of the worlds best and he looked at me like I'd two heads. But I was convinced. Very early on. He called him a flash in the pan, the next Andy Carroll. We would go on to debate it for the next few seasons.....and eventually he stopped arguing with me because the goals just couldn't be ignored.

It's easy to be captain hindsight, but Kane is definately one I got right.

Charles N'zogbia on the other hand.....yeah not my finest pick. :p

Fair play. I thought the same as your mate at first. Kane didn't seem particularly good at anything, except putting the ball in the net, and didn't seem to have the "aesthetic" of a top class striker. I was reminded of Jon Stead who burst onto the scene with Blackburn before fading away rapidly again. Doesn't look like Kane is going anywhere though. Top class. Oh how I'd love to see him at LFC.

Spurs
    Some of Dele's touches are outrageous too. Be frightening to think how good he'll be in a few years.

We always laugh at England's prospects, but with those two leading the line and a very solid defensive pool of talent, they could go deeper than they have in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Liverpool
    It'll be fifth season syndrome next year for sure. Kane's a luckbox spoofer with a sh*t hairline.

Liverpool
    Huddersfield have a good looking stadium.

• Advertisement

Doesn't look like Kane is going anywhere though. Top class. Oh how I'd love to see him at LFC.

Actually, I'd also take Spurs' entire defence and most of their midfield as well as Kane.

Anyway, yeah, Spurs are crap etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Doesn't look like Kane is going anywhere though. Top class. Oh how I'd love to see him at LFC.

Why would he or anyone move from Spurs to LFC? Spurs have a much better chance of winning the league over the next five years or so than LFC.

Liverpool
    Spurs will definitely have the best away record this season, all their games are away.

Berserker wrote: »
    Why would he or anyone move from Spurs to LFC? Spurs have a much better chance of winning the league over the next five years or so than LFC.

Mentions by me of why he would/should join LFC: zero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Arsenal

Hello Nostradamus :pac:

I am a Lfc fan myself and if i could take one player in the league it would be Kane. Best striker in world football at the moment for me.

Can see him ending up at a real madrid or barca in the next few years

• Advertisement

Spurs

Perhaps this season but their wages structure would need improve drastically if they can realistically keep this side together long term.

• Everton
    Deli Ali caught diving
    Ref done well

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Deli Ali caught diving
    Ref done well
    Agreed. Alli is going to get a reputation as a diver/cheat (pick your own adjective). He tends to "lose his balance" quite easily.

ricero wrote: »

I am a Lfc fan myself and if i could take one player in the league it would be Kane. Best striker in world football at the moment for me.

Yeah I hear that. The argument for me would be would you take Kane or Lukaku from the Premier league. Lukaku is frigtheningly good too. You could make an argument for him over Kane if you tried hard enough.

People say United overpaid.....feck that. He'll be worth double in a couple of seasons. Top class strikers are gold dust. If Spurs have any sense they'll keep putting Kane on 5 year deals. United will surely do the same with Lukaku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Deli Ali caught diving
    Ref done well

If they get caught during the game and get booked, is that the end of it? Or can they still get banned?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Agreed. Alli is going to get a reputation as a diver/cheat (pick your own adjective). He tends to "lose his balance" quite easily.

He already has that reputation, and it's well earned. It's the worst aspect of his game, and he needs a kick up the arse to encourage him to cut it out.

Kiith wrote: »
    He already has that reputation, and it's well earned. It's the worst aspect of his game, and he needs a kick up the arse to encourage him to cut it out.

All the kicks in the world won't help. When your manager tuts in public but congratulates you in private, why would you change?

It's up to the governing body to sort it out. Ban him for 5 games. That hurts his team.....then his manager will be furious instead of happy. He won't do it again. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everton
    Diving at 3-0.

It just shows that it is a natural instinct now to some players and bred into their mindset as opposed to a desperate measure when points are on the line (not that there is anything different to both situations in terms of "cheating" culpability.

Spurs
    I didn't know Dean Whitehead was still a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    Kane doesn't look like a footballer. I think that's why it took ages for people to accept that he's incredible.

• Advertisement

Spurs
    Jayop wrote: »
    Kane doesn't look like a footballer. I think that's why it took ages for people to accept that he's incredible.

Neither does Messi really, especially when he was younger.

Ah well; that's united's 3 points sorted. Not that they weren't going to get them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Ah well; that's united's 3 points sorted. Not that they weren't going to get them anyway.

Chances of Palace breaking their scoring duck today?

Chances of Palace breaking their scoring duck today?
    I suppose, if utd switch off mentally in the last 5 or 10 minutes, Palace could conceivably get one. I wouldn't go putting big money on it though!

Everton
    Big goal for West Ham and Bilic, that.

• Everton
    If they get caught during the game and get booked, is that the end of it? Or can they still get banned?

That's a good question. Id assume as the ref gave a card then nothing retrospective should happen but not 100% sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Palace have had a hard opening run but to have not even scored and with Hodgson brought in to make them make them harder to beat it can only point to likely relegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Palace will surely by the end of the season will beat Derby County's season's point total of 11 that must their aim now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Fabian Delph is the extremely rare case of an English international being underrated as a player by the media. Excellent player.

• Advertisement

Everton
    Morrison J wrote: »
    Fabian Delph is the extremely rare case of an English international being underrated as a player by the media. Excellent player.

Very good player, wasted in the City squad as a home grown quota squad member for the last few seasons but it depends what your standard of "excellent" is when describing him .

Pep seems to trust him though

Advertisement