Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Morrison J wrote: »
    Fabian Delph is the extremely rare case of an English international being underrated as a player by the media. Excellent player.

Underrated in what way though? He won't be starting for Man City or England on a regular basis. Hardly kicked a ball since he went to City from Villa. He's a good player of course, was stand out at Villa in dire times but I don't see any underrating at all imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Corholio wrote: »
    Fabian Delph is the extremely rare case of an English international being underrated as a player by the media. Excellent player.

Underrated in what way though? He won't be starting for Man City or England on a regular basis. Hardly kicked a ball since he went to City from Villa. He's a good player of course, was stand out at Villa in dire times but I don't see any underrating at all imo.
    He's a better footballer then the likes of Henderson, Stones, Chamberlain etc who were lauded by the British media as the next generation for England really. Delph never really gets the same respect imo despite being superior. Injury problems haven't helped to be fair.

I remember him getting linked to Liverpool before he went to City and the outcry against the signing from Liverpool fans on social media was amazing. He'd be a great addition to their squad if fit.

He's a better footballer then the likes of Henderson, Stones, Chamberlain etc who were lauded by the British media as the next generation for England really. Delph never really gets the same respect imo despite being superior. Injury problems haven't helped to be fair.

I remember him getting linked to Liverpool before he went to City and the outcry against the signing from Liverpool fans on social media was amazing. He'd be a great addition to their squad if fit.

He's been playing for Villa, a team who ended up getting relegated and has hardly played for City, a lot of of the time he hasn't even made the matchday squad. Whatever about Chamberlain, Henderson and Stones have been playing premier league and European football week in and out. Delph is a good player, but he hasn't got near playing the consistency at the players mentioned, and not at the same level either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Don't understand leaving 5 defenders on 1-0 down at home, Willian has been woeful since he came on too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Delph is alright. let's not lose our minds here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everton
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Don't understand leaving 5 defenders on 1-0 down at home, Willian has been woeful since he came on too.

He literally just walked into 3 City players there when he had possession and lost possession when he could easily have made a bit of space instead! It was almost like he wanted to do it the hard way!

Corholio wrote: »
    He's been playing for Villa, a team who ended up getting relegated and has hardly played for City, a lot of of the time he hasn't even made the matchday squad. Whatever about Chamberlain, Henderson and Stones have been playing premier league and European football week in and out. Delph is a good player, but he hasn't got near playing the consistency at the players mentioned, and not at the same level either.

Do you only judge a player by the team they play for? My eyes tell me Delph is a better player. He's got far more quality then someone like Henderson and if "consistency" is a defining factor then you must be watching a different version of Jordan Henderson.

Delph is alright. let's not lose our minds here.

Nobody losing their minds here. I'm not saying he's going to win the Ballon d'Or but he's a rare case of an English player being underrated by their media. Even when he was a consistent starter for the national team under Hodgson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Shoutout between the Manchester clubs for the title now, I wonder could it be decided on goal difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    The man who supposedly can't organise a defence is doing a pretty good job of it so far.

• Advertisement

Everton
    thelad95 wrote: »
    Shoutout between the Manchester clubs for the title now, I wonder could it be decided on goal difference?

Yeah, if they finish on the same points in 8 months time it could do............ ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    Do you only judge a player by the team they play for? My eyes tell me Delph is a better player. He's got far more quality then someone like Henderson and if "consistency" is a defining factor then you must be watching a different version of Jordan Henderson.

Delph is more consistent than Henderson. The problem there is that Delph's best performance wouldn't hold a candle to Henderson's, only reason he's struggled in the past year or so is because of a chronic heel injury that can't be cured. He's hitting form again though. To be fair, even a lot of Liverpool fans were slating Henderson lately, but he's playing through pain most weeks and that's rarely taken into account.

He's a far better midfielder than Delph, even if I look at it completely unbiased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

thelad95 wrote: »

Yeah, United v City for the title, by the looks of things but Chelsea and Spurs will be on their heels. Can't see past the four of them for the CL spots.

Well considering I follow one of those clubs, I think I can pass reasonable judgment on a player. Delph is a good centre midfielder, but he wouldn't get in ahead of Henderson for Liverpool imo. Delph was hugely inconsistent for Villa before the last 7-8 months of his time there. He has hardly played any football at City since to be seen as underrated. He was a quota player there with a ridiculous release clause that Villa messed up on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Berserker wrote: »
    Yeah, United v City for the title, by the looks of things but Chelsea and Spurs will be on their heels. Can't see past the four of them for the CL spots.
    Too soon to say, considering Utd's fixture list has been ridiculously easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    Too soon to say, considering Utd's fixture list has been ridiculously easy.

It was easy but we're 6 points up on the equivalent fixtures last year. City are rightly favorites and we won't be considered anyone's favs until we play a few of last year's top sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Very good player, wasted in the City squad as a home grown quota squad member for the last few seasons but it depends what your standard of "excellent" is when describing him .

Pep seems to trust him though
    He hasn't let us down in this last few games, that's for sure. And Pep has been fulsome in his praise for him. As for comparing Delph to Henderson, they're totally different types of players. Henderson's best performance would be ahead of Delph's. But Henderson seems to be a very inconsistent player. When he's good, he's very good. But he can be anonymous in games as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Way too early to be calling it a two horse race when there's still such disparity in fixture difficulty.

Chelsea have faced Spurs, City Arsenal so far. By far the toughest run of the likely top 6 sides.

United have yet to face a side in the current top 10 which is a an unbelievably soft run of fixtures 7 games in.

City have faced a couple of the big sides now and have been dominant in those wins so they're current position looks far more realistic and sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bill66

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Kanes form I assume is a worry for spurs fans

Yup:D

martyos121 wrote: »

Delph is more consistent than Henderson. The problem there is that Delph's best performance wouldn't hold a candle to Henderson's, only reason he's struggled in the past year or so is because of a chronic heel injury that can't be cured. He's hitting form again though. To be fair, even a lot of Liverpool fans were slating Henderson lately, but he's playing through pain most weeks and that's rarely taken into account.

He's a far better midfielder than Delph, even if I look at it completely unbiased.
    Fair enough. I'll agree to disagree. I suppose that's what I mean by him being underrated in my opinion. Public perception is that he's not in that class where as I'd see him being as good or probably better then the likes of Henderson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

City are gonna win this league at a canter,Chelsea 2nd,spurs 3rd,Liverpool 4th

Everton
    shamrock55 wrote: »

As a United fan, I agree. Won't be at a canter but yesterday was a big result.

They won't be far off Championship League also

Everton
    Oops just seen your 2, 3,4 ! There is not a hope Liverpool are finishing ahead of Utd this season if they continue leaking silly goals.
    For example, look at their corners conceded to goals conceded ratio! And they can't even take a corner themselves!

Routine stuff.

You think Utd would concede so easily at corners and/or long balls.

And you can't bring in the argument they score enough goals to offset this................because they don't. Sure, they create a lot of chances, but their chances/shots to goals ratio is poor.

• Everton
    bill66 wrote: »
    Yup:D

Lol it was august I suspect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool

United not in top 4? Yeh ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Alexis not going over to congratulate Iwobi was poor form. Phenomenal footballer but attitude is not what it should be right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Liverpool? Not with that defense.

Everton
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    Alexis not going over to congratulate Iwobi was poor form. Phenomenal footballer but attitude is not what it should be right now.

That's what you took from that goal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bill66

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Lol it was august I suspect

Yes, I believe it was. A month is a long time in football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That Arsenal match has been an awful watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Everton cut apart, Hendrick 0-1

Everton
    Great football in the build up.

JPA wrote: »
    Everton cut apart, Hendrick 0-1

Lovely bit of football, wasn't it. Interesting to see how Everton are going to get back into this. They are so slow in the final third.

Everton
    Their defense is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Berserker wrote: »
    Lovely bit of football, wasn't it. Interesting to see how Everton are going to get back into this. They are so slow in the final third.

Schneidlin takes too many touches on the ball and slows everything down.

Final ball so far has been absolutely dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What the feck is going on at Everton, I don't recall Soton being slow under Keoman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Sean Dyche is doing an amazing job with Burnley and deserves a lot more credit.

Great for the Irish players in his squad as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Koeman on the other hand......

Burnley are this seasons giant killers (and nuisances when they draw).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Koeman on the other hand......

Burnley have shown what sticking with a manager can do for you even if that includes getting relegated they used the the PL money & parachute money to rebuild the club completely the first time they came up and went straight back down and trusted Dyche .

To many clubs don't look long term.

Ye but Koeman will get the chop soon if they don't improve quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Liverpool
    What the feck is going on at Everton, I don't recall Soton being slow under Keoman.

Southampton had Mane on the wing, Everton are playing Sigurdsson there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool

Great for the Irish players in his squad as well.

He has done an unbelievable job. Even after staying up they still struggle to attract players and keep there best players. Its usually the championship where they end up getting players from. When Keane was sold I thought they would struggle but he stuck with what they had and tarkowski has been excellent so far. He has also turned Stephen ward into a very solid LB.

Southampton had Mane on the wing, Everton are playing Sigurdsson there.

What?! that would be like playing Cout...oh! :p

Everton
    He has done an unbelievable job. Even after staying up they still struggle to attract players and keep there best players. Its usually the championship where they end up getting players from. When Keane was sold I thought they would struggle but he stuck with what they had and tarkowski has been excellent so far. He has also turned Stephen ward into a very solid LB.

Ward has always been pretty solid FB. Decent career at Wolves, rarely missed a game.

To think he used to be a striker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    Coutinho scores a long range cracker and Liverpool can't defend.

Business as usual

Everton
    That defense.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Coutinho scores a long range cracker and Liverpool can't defend.

Sums Liverpool up perfectly alright. Some of their finishing prior to that was hilarious. Think this will end 2-3 or 2-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Poor enough from the Newcastle keeper too for the Liverpool goal.

Poor enough from the Newcastle keeper too for the Liverpool goal.

Thought that originally but not on second viewing.

Everton
    Gomez not yellow carded for a blatant drag back then gets a yellow for a very bad tackle that could have been a red.

• Advertisement
Advertisement