Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Liverpool getting away with a few dodgy challenges; Mane and Gomez in particular. Can't see them not scoring as Newcastle tire. Not sure that they'll keep Newcastle out also. They are poor at the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    Aye fully expect Liverpool to score soon.

Newcastle settling for a point by the looks of things.

Everton
    Berserker wrote: »

Almost had a winner at the death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    Liverpool falling behind the pack already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Newcastle good for their point

Klopp is an ordinary manager, he has one trick, he just isn’t a special one.

• Everton
    The "best attack in the league" fails to win again.
    Probably one of the worst defensive setups in the league more like.

Tearing it up! :/

Big result for Newcastle. Benitez has them well organized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Best attacking team in the league.

Just unfortunate about not being able to score or defend, you know, the things that actually matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Liverpool
    Berserker wrote: »

No match thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Nalz wrote: »
    No match thread?

No one brave enough to set one up. Newcastle arent actually bad this year.

Watford been biggest suprise so far. Especially considering they are racked with injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everton
    pjohnson wrote: »
    No one brave enough to set one up. .

:confused:

Am I missing something here! What does that mean! !

• Everton
    Klopp looking a bit broken in that interview
    The excuses coming thick and fast
    He looked an utterly frustrated figure

Ultimately when you don't fix the problems that were there last season it will rear it's head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

:confused:

Am I missing something here! What does that mean! !

Whoever sets the thread up is 100% responsible for the defeat/draw, so have to be brave to start one.
    It football superstition thing, and makes complete sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Klopp looking a bit broken in that interview
    The excuses coming thick and fast
    He looked an utterly frustrated figure

Ultimately when you don't fix the problems that were there last season it will rear it's head

He must have been reading the liverpool thread.

Calling for his head all ready 7 games in.

Everton
    limnam wrote: »

In fairness it's not just about the bad start, it's the manner of the same mistakes game after game that has to be frustrating. It's not like they didn't know what was their one major weakness before the summer. Even with the personnel they have another manager would have them tighter at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Liverpool

Aside from one or two people who have been called out by many for doing so, no one is calling for his head or even close to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Aside from one or two people who have been called out by many for doing so, no one is calling for his head or even close to it.

No one is calling for his head, bar the people calling for his head who have been called out.

Right.

So people are calling for his head then

Liverpool
    No one is calling for his head, bar the people calling for his head who have been called out.

Right.

So people are calling for his head then

If you want to be needlessly obtuse then go ahead, I was just trying to bring context to the conversation but I guess that's no fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Liverpool
    Two cents on Liverpool from a United fan. Manager is very good, first XI is good, squad is average. Other clubs have invested heavily during the summer, also have good managers and are more settled than last season. Getting down to brass tacks, the lack of incoming players during the summer was insanity. Is it through lack of investment from the board - which is utterly disgraceful if it is the case and fans should be up in arms given the money sloshing around the league - or because the manager has some idealistic notion that he can do it despite the overwhelming evidence that money = success? Maybe they couldn't get who they wanted to join? I reckon it is a bit of everything.

Either way, they will go through some good patches this year and will put some teams to the sword. They impressed me up until the Mane sending off against City and a good performance in a big game isn't far away imo. They just need to invest like all other elite clubs to make the push that the fans want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Two cents on Liverpool from a United fan. Manager is very good, first XI is good, squad is average. Other clubs have invested heavily during the summer, also have good managers and are more settled than last season. Getting down to brass tacks, the lack of incoming players during the summer was insanity. Is it through lack of investment from the board - which is utterly disgraceful if it is the case and fans should be up in arms given the money sloshing around the league - or because the manager has some idealistic notion that he can do it despite the overwhelming evidence that money = success? Maybe they couldn't get who they wanted to join? I reckon it is a bit of everything.

Either way, they will go through some good patches this year and will put some teams to the sword. They impressed me up until the Mane sending off against City and a good performance in a big game isn't far away imo. They just need to invest like all other elite clubs to make the push that the fans want.

A good post, fair play for engaging without baiting. As a Pool fan though I'm beginning to doubt, for the very first time, the part in bold. Can you be very good if you continually neglect one third of the team? How long can that go on for? I think it now has to be questioned and it's something he needs to remedy quite quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

If I was a current Southampton central defender like the likes of Yoshida I wouldn’t think too much of Virgil Van Dijks behavior the last while.He has come out in last few days to reiterate that he wants to leave during next transfer window.His manager has picked him in last two league games and he has played poorly in both.

Bit rich of him to be saying he is off soon when the Saints are still his paymasters and he is playing poorly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    Crystal Palace have scored a goal! :eek:

And against the champions too, first one of the season.

Liverpool
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Crystal Palace have scored a goal! :eek:

And against the champions too, first one of the season.

And of course it's an OG :p

Liverpool
    And of course it's an OG :p

If they revert to form for the rest of October, I wonder will they give OG Goal of the Month and Player of the Month? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well that didn't last long 1-1

Man City 2-0 after 20 mins. Wonder if they'll get five again today. Looks likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Soft goal to give away. I genuinely thought Speroni retired years ago....They had Mandanda, Henessey & McCarthy in goals there in recent years

2-1 to Palace and Spurs 0-0 at half time at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    Nice goal by Stoke there. Even without the deflection that was almost certainly going in.
    It'll probably be largely forgotten as City go on to win 6-1 or whatever.

Weird atmosphere at the game. It doesn't feel like anyone is taking it seriously. It's being played at a really slow pace and kinda looks like a training match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    Good man zaha ha probably the only goal he will get all season, hopefully it's the winner today tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    Christian Ericsson he scores when he likes.

Kyle walker own goal he scores when he likes too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    Have to laugh at the commentary in the City game there.

Speaking of a decent spell of passing the commentator said "This helps Stoke", whereupon they give away the ball and Jesus scores City's fourth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Liverpool
    8 goals in just over an hour. Jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Burial. wrote: »
    8 goals in just over an hour. Jesus
    If you poke a lion with a stick, you'll only make him angry. 3 goals in 5 or 6 minutes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Liverpool
    City to win the league by 10 points or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Man Utd
    I know City won a boat load of games early last season aswell , But I don't remember them being this dominant ,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

GreNoLi wrote:
    City to win the league by 10 points or more.

Certainly are looking that convincing & making a mockery of the whole every game is difficult in the Premier League fantasy theory

Everton
    This Mosonda lad for Chelsea looks about 12.

I know City won a boat load of games early last season aswell , But I don't remember them being this dominant ,

They are hammering teams home and away. Fixtures coming up suggest that it could be more of the same for the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement

Everton
    Wow. What a miss by Palace.

Liverpool
    Jayop wrote: »
    This Mosonda lad for Chelsea looks about 12.

He was moaning on social media about not getting game time, what does he expect? (appropriate emoji)

Hodgson has been busy with Palace since their last game. They look like a different team. Another good chance for Palace.

Liverpool
    Palace should be three or four up here, Townsend and Zaha have split the Chelsea defence open all day. De Boer was sacked far too early IMO but Hodgson has done really well over the international break to work things out. Nearly there now, would be a huge win of course.

City in the groove.

Liverpool
    Sakho still on drugs, eejit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Chelsea have been unimaginably bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

4 on 1 and you don't score is criminal

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Everton
    no easy games in the PL....it's a battle for 90 minutes...

7-2

dfx- wrote: »
    no easy games in the PL....it's a battle for 90 minutes...

7-2

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Kante looks a big loss for Chelsea their midfield structure looked porous all game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement