Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    This job has Frank de Boer written all over it.

I'm probably the only one here who rates him highly as a manager, but he needs a good half season minimum to get things rolling. He wasn't given anywhere close to that in the two jobs he had since he left Ajax, because football club owners have no patience. With the players Leicester have already, his system could work there if given a chance.

They'll probably end up hiring Allardyce though, he's insufferable but you know what you'll get from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    callaway92 wrote: »
    Seeing how well Ranieri is doing with Nantes, I'm of the opinion he was the main man.

Shakespeare was a big part of getting Ranieri pushed out. Thoroughly dislikable now. Not sorry at all.

Spoofer who had a nice run of it when he took charge. They've been beyond poor for months.

My thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Liverpool
    Sources???

Maybe a bit of research might help here. Shakespeare was and remains one of the most respected figures at the club over the last few years.

It was people like Rudkin and a bit of player power that got Ranieri sacked. As well as the fact he had lost the dressing room, whether his fault or not.

Shakespeare was always going to be a short term solution for a club that has now ambitions to be a top 10 team every season. I imagine deep down he knew that also.

I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed on as coach.

As I said, good coach, not up to the job as manager. But definitely not to be blamed for ranieri's sacking. Ranieri even said that.

I don't give a shít about 'how respected' he was/is in the club.

Sources were all over the place back then. Go google them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everton
    callaway92 wrote: »
    I don't give a shít about 'how respected' he was/is in the club.

Sources were all over the place back then. Go google them

Chill.

Google "speculation"? No, you are grand.

I'll take the word of closer sources like almost 99% of Leicester fans than @MickyMouse on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Liverpool
    Chill.

Google "speculation"? No, you are grand.

I'll take the word of closer sources like almost 99% of Leicester fans than @MickyMouse on twitter.

Good man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Hopefully Leicester go looking for koeman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Hopefully Leicester go looking for koeman

Everton fan looking to get rid of him?

Berserker wrote: »
    Everton fan looking to get rid of him?

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    Chris Coleman could be the man for the job. Might want a new challenge now and won't be underpaid there

Good shout. Even Strachen is probably looking to get back into club management but I don't see him landing this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Arry till the end of the season and then the Rodgers from June/July

• Advertisement

Everton
    Jayop wrote: »
    Good shout. Even Strachen is probably looking to get back into club management but I don't see him landing this one.

I think Gordon needs a lie down for a few months following his reactionary comments after missing out on a playoff place!

Liverpool
    Dyche is who they should go all out for. Hoping that doesn't happen though.

Everton
    I didn't read anything after his comments about the Scots being too small.

Everton
    Dyche is who they should go all out for. Hoping that doesn't happen though.

Hmm. If you're Sean Dyche do you take a gamble on that or wait it out at Burnley for another while, try to climb the league and have a cup run and see if he can get a bigger club.

I really really rate him as a manager, doing an amazing job with Burnley, but where could he go? Everton would probably be the biggest club that he might get a shot at.

Yep

Who do you want to replace him at Everton?

Everton

Craig Shakespeare

Anyone at this stage.

Would go for ancellotti and if not I'd give it to unsworth who's doing great work with under 23s

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Ancelotti is taking the rest of the season off afaik

Anyone at this stage.

Would go for ancellotti and if not I'd give it to unsworth who's doing great work with under 23s

What about Rafa? I know he's an ex-red but he'd do a great job with you.

Would be ideal but for his history. Same could be said for brendan rodgers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Berserker wrote:

Even if he wants to he has a shı­tty contract with Newcastle where he'd have to pay like 6 million to get out of it.

Liverpool
    Hmm. If you're Sean Dyche do you take a gamble on that or wait it out at Burnley for another while, try to climb the league and have a cup run and see if he can get a bigger club.

I really really rate him as a manager, doing an amazing job with Burnley, but where could he go? Everton would probably be the biggest club that he might get a shot at.

Tough one his stock is very high at the minute. As you say Everton is probably the best he could hope for. Leicester while a step up from Burnley would be a dangerous job to take. The board are trigger happy and the players have to have questions asked of them as they seem to be able to turn their form on and off like a tap.

Everton
    Tough one his stock is very high at the minute. As you say Everton is probably the best he could hope for. Leicester while a step up from Burnley would be a dangerous job to take. The board are trigger happy and the players have to have questions asked of them as they seem to be able to turn their form on and off like a tap.

That's the thing. Maybe he's better to stick where he is, get them in the top half which would be a brilliant achievement and a decent cup run. Koeman won't last and Everton is a very attractive job. Would Everton fans be happy with him? I think with the better players at Everton he's going to play a different style of football but still be solid as. Probably a bit like Noyes of that era and that's not being smart arsed.

Everton
    That's the thing. Maybe he's better to stick where he is, get them in the top half which would be a brilliant achievement and a decent cup run. Koeman won't last and Everton is a very attractive job. Would Everton fans be happy with him? I think with the better players at Everton he's going to play a different style of football but still be solid as. Probably a bit like Noyes of that era and that's not being smart arsed.

Just on this. What's the very best a manager like him could hope for and what's the best job outside of the unachievable top 6 for a current English manager?

What would the likes of Dyche have to do to get one of the top 6 jobs? Say Wenger leaves at the end of next season, how could he get that job? Would he and his clearly excellent organizational ability be able to take the attacking verve of arsenal and add a spine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

All this stuff about Koeman is a bit ott imo.
    I think he is doing a fine job. It hasn't worked out early this season but he lost a top class striker, is without Coleman and Bolasie and lost a couple of defenders for a few games too.
    The youth players at the club have clearly started to develop with Calvert-Lewin looking like a superstar in the making and Tom Davies looking like a great one for the future.
    I think if he gets a bit of time there he will make them a real contender for honours in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Everton's problem IMO is that they've bought a bunch of good players with real idea how to use them or without a clear plan in mind.

Also, the majority of the players they have bought are "good" but not next level to allow them to fight for the top 4 or finish higher than 7th.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think he is doing a fine job. It hasn't worked out early this season but he lost a top class striker, is without Coleman and Bolasie and lost a couple of defenders for a few games too.
    The youth players at the club have clearly started to develop with Calvert-Lewin looking like a superstar in the making and Tom Davies looking like a great one for the future.
    I think if he gets a bit of time there he will make them a real contender for honours in the near future.

Ott? Have you watched all 15 Everton games this season? I have and they've been a disgrace. He's spent 200m this year and we've got 5 league goals this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think he is doing a fine job. It hasn't worked out early this season but he lost a top class striker,
    Typically what a good manager does in that scenario is replace the striker with other strikers, instead of a billion attacking midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Liverpool
    Honestly don't know how anyone can dress up Everton and Koeman this season as anything other then awful. Tough start can be forgiven but not the last few easier games. Even those hard early ones aren't good enough if top 4 was their aim with these signings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Saturday 2 December

12:30 Chelsea v Newcastle (Sky Sports)
    17:30 Arsenal v Man Utd (BT Sport) :eek: Sky giving up this fixture

Sunday 3 December

13:30 AFC Bournemouth v Southampton (Sky Sports)
    16:00 Man City v West Ham (Sky Sports)

Saturday 9 December

12:30 West Ham v Chelsea (Sky Sports)
    17:30 Newcastle v Leicester (BT Sport)

Sunday 10 December

12:00 Southampton v Arsenal (BT Sport)
    14:15 Liverpool v Everton (Sky Sports)
    16:30 Man Utd v Man City (Sky Sports)

Tuesday 12 December

20:00 Huddersfield Town v Chelsea (BT Sport)

Wednesday 13 December

19:45 Swansea City v Man City
    20:00 Man Utd v AFC Bournemouth
    Both further to Manchester derby moving to 10 December

20:00 West Ham v Arsenal (BT Sport)

Saturday 16 December

12:30 Leicester City v Crystal Palace (Sky Sports)
    Subject to change dependent on EFL Cup 5th round participation

17:30 Man City v Spurs (BT Sport)

Sunday 17 December

14:15 West Brom v Man Utd (Sky Sports)
    Subject to change dependent on Everton and/or Swansea reaching EFL Cup 5th round

16:30 AFC Bournemouth v Liverpool (Sky Sports)

Monday 18 December

20:00 Everton v Swansea (Sky Sports)
    Subject to change dependent on Everton and/or Swansea reaching EFL Cup 5th round

Friday 22 December

19:45 Arsenal v Liverpool (Sky Sports)

Saturday 23 December

12:30 Everton v Chelsea (Sky Sports)
    17:30 Burnley v Spurs (BT Sport)
    19:45 Leicester City v Man Utd (Sky Sports)

Tuesday 26 December

12:30 Spurs v Southampton (Sky Sports)
    17:30 Liverpool v Swansea (Sky Sports)

Wednesday 27 December

19:45 Newcastle United v Man City (Sky Sports)

Thursday 28 December

20:00 Crystal Palace v Arsenal (Sky Sports)
    Because of their selection on 28 December, neither Arsenal nor Crystal Palace will play on 30 December.

Later fixtures will be broadcast as soon as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

December Fixtures

Apart from Liverpool Arsenal on 22 December there's nothing too exciting jumping out for over Christmas is there?

Arsenal Chelsea certainty to be on tv on New Years day and probably Everton United too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Arsenal
    So there's no Christmas eve game? Someone saw sense in the end up then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

So; that's five games we've had shifted in december alone. Bit of a pisser for any fans travelling a distance who had already made travel arrangements.

Everton
    Liamalone wrote: »
    So there's no Christmas eve game? Someone saw sense in the end up then

Was a joke! Thankfully it's not going ahead.

Only 1 United game over the Christmas sucks a bit!

Everton

They will be playing 23rd, 26th, 29th/30th and 1st of January.

Same amount as normal

EDIT, actually I think you meant on tv, yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool

Same amount as normal

United will always be available on one of the American/Canadian channels so it will be easy enough to watch

Everton

Same amount as normal

Yeah that's what I meant. I have access to all games so I'm OK but for others less techy or less willing to get into streaming etc it sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Liverpool
    blueser wrote: »
    So; that's five games we've had shifted in december alone. Bit of a pisser for any fans travelling a distance who had already made travel arrangements.

Two answer both, only to be expected as the bigger and more attractive playing teams would be in demand for TV :P

2 or 3 of those games were no brainers to be moved and think the travelling fans would have already anticipated that.

The Watford and West Ham games moves does surprise me a little I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Both Manchester teams will be on BT over the New Years weekend

Dec 30th Man Utd V Southampton - 5:30pm
    Dec 31st Crystal Palace V Man City - 12pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Retrospective diving ban first case............................is not in the Prem. A Carlisle player has been convicted.

• Advertisement

• Everton
    Convicted?!
    Harsh :pac:

Everton
    Both Manchester teams will be on BT over the New Years weekend

Dec 30th Man Utd V Southampton - 5:30pm
    Dec 31st Crystal Palace V Man City - 12pm

5.30 on news years eve is a lovely time for an armchair fan!! :)

Everton
    That's not New Years 5!

Everton
    *Eve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    Brighton well deserved the 1 nil at west ham new shed. Will be a huge result if they can hold on for the 3pts as sadly Houghton team have yet to win a away game in the lge or cup this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

West Ham been dire so far.

Man City
    Pick that out Joe Hart.

West ham were crazy to sell Randolph and get Hart , England's number 1 lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Joe Hart at fault there, should of used his right hand to save that not his left.

Man City
    Esse85 wrote: »
    Joe Hart at fault there, should of used his right hand to save that not his left.

Thought that exactly myself, he went for the Hollywood save and made a balls of it on his wrong side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Nice side Hughton has put together at Brighton. Good combination of skill and steel. They should be fine this year, far worse sides in the league.

• Advertisement
Advertisement