Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Officials trying to outdo each other in poor decisions this week. Herrera flattered and got nothing, clear penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Before the game is over I bet the ref will do his best to help United by giving them a soft penalty or sending a Huddersfield player off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    League really needs Spurs or Chelsea to consistently play to their full potential if anyone is gonna trouble City.

It could get boring very quick otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    City are going to win the league by 20 points unless something drastic happens them.

Spurs
    Leicester should sack a manager every month, they always seem to have a great bounce back after one is given the boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

City are going to win the league by 20 points unless something drastic happens them.
    Don't be so hasty there. We're due a blip. Every team has them. At the time of typing, utd are having theirs. Chelsea have had a blip (losing at home to Burnley and away to the hapless Palace). Liverpool lost to us and only drew at Watford. Spurs will have their annual springtime collapse. See what I mean; every club falters at some point. No reason to think we won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

blueser wrote: »
    Don't be so hasty there. We're due a blip. Every team has them. At the time of typing, utd are having theirs. Chelsea have had a blip (losing at home to Burnley and away to the hapless Palace). Liverpool lost to us and only drew at Watford. Spurs will have their annual springtime collapse. See what I mean; every club falters at some point. No reason to think we won't.

Agreed, I don't think City's defensive frailties have completely disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

City's strength and depth will see them out. The second string team could probably finish in the top 6. That's what it will come down to in the end. United have a fairly strong squad but look extremely average without Pogba.

I think you could take De Bruyne out of that City team and they would still win most games. Other teams don't have such luxuries imo.

Spurs
    City have passed all their tests so far though. Beat Liverpool and Chelsea convincingly. Whereas Uniteds early season form always looked like a false one based on their ease of fixtures. And they still haven't faced one of the current top 6.

Conte does always start leagues slowly though, was the way at Juventus and then always seems to go on an unbelievable run. I fancied them at the start of the season, but they've a lot of work to do if they're to challenge.

Spurs always go by quietly, need to make Wembley a fortress which still seems to be their biggest stumbling block, fantastic side otherwise.

City will obviously drop points but others look like dropping a whole lot more right now.

• Advertisement

United game is fascinating to watch, Huddersfield counter very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

City now out of sight 3-0 Aguero with the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Liverpool
    Wouldn't be right unless De Bruyne has a worldie assist. Sane is playing out of his skin this season. What a talent.

City now out of sight 3-0 Aguero with the goal.
    Sané

Burial. wrote: »
    Wouldn't be right unless De Bruyne has a worldie assist. Sane is playing out of his skin this season. What a talent.
    The fella is a genius at playing others in. Best in the PL at the moment.

The fella is a genius at playing others in. Best in the PL at the moment.

He's up there in Europe. There isn't a better playmaker around currently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Liverpool
    John Stones quietly puts in another clinic at CB.

Burial. wrote: »
    John Stones quietly puts in another clinic at CB.

Against the attacking might of Burnley no less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Spurs
    Great result for Huddersfield. Wagner is doing a terrific job and no wonder hes even been mentioned as an outside bet for the Leicester job. No doubt he'll stay where he is and enjoy a credible season. Seems a very amicable character. The result also gives some perspective back to the hordes of deluded United fans. A good day altogether.

Can't wait for Jose's post match, he really shot himself in the foot, he can't mention injuries now :D

Lukker- wrote: »
    Against the attacking might of Burnley no less
    Who scored three at Stamford Bridge, one at Wembley, one at Anfield and one at Goodison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Rafa has Newcastle up in 6th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Man City blag goal from dive.
    Well hopefully Silva now he gets a ban for diving after the first ever retrospective ban was imposed yesterday.

iaOgVWG.png

You being serious?

Who scored three at Stamford Bridge, one at Wembley, one at Anfield and one at Goodison.

Against 10 men from 10 minutes ;)

I wouldn't describe Everton or Liverpool as teams to compare to tbh, the state of Pools defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Against 10 men from 10 minutes ;)

I wouldn't describe Everton or Liverpool as teams to compare to tbh, the state of Pools defence.

Chelsea have only conceded 2 less than Liverpool.

iaOgVWG.png

You being serious?
    Those two have obviously been on the ale today!

Spurs
    It's good for football to see Peps always ultimate football style prosper over Jose's more pragmatic approach. It usually does when they've met over the years too.

Rafa has Newcastle up in 6th.

A great manager quietly going about his business, still harbour some hope he manages Liverpool again.

Chelsea have only conceded 2 less than Liverpool.

Yeah and Chelsea are sh*te this season and haven't had a settled backline for 2 consecutive games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Entertaining afternoon of tv football. Chelsea Watford was very entertaining, then Utd were poor.

Yeah and Chelsea are sh*te this season and haven't had a settled backline for 2 consecutive games

We haven't had a settled backline for 8 years.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    Chelsea's attack would be scary if they had held onto De Bruyne, Salah & Lukaku to go with Hazard.

Spurs
    Chelsea's attack would be scary if they had held onto De Bruyne, Salah & Lukaku to go with Hazard.

And Cuadrado in the right wing back position. They've let a lot of stars go over the seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

City will win this LGE by 15 PTS or more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

What's this, something like 1 goal in 45 games for Long? Must be nearly a world record for a recognised striker.

Spurs
    What's this, something like 1 goal in 45 games for Long? Must be nearly a world record for a recognised striker.

I think that stat was made up. The reality isn't a whole lot better but not quite that bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Well he hasn't scored since Feb 11th, over 20 hours of football.

Liverpool
    If he scores the winner against Denmark I won't give a fcuk if he doesn't score again for 20 hours :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everton
    25 games (that he has featured in) since he scored but majority of those were sub appearances.

Only started 12 of those. And that is for both club and country. A lot of games he has came on with 20 to ten minutes to go.

Really hope he breaks it soon as he seems to have won his place back in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

A great manager quietly going about his business, still harbour some hope he manages Liverpool again.

What about Klopp? Just cannot understand why a club like Arsenal don't go for him. He has the perfect personality for a club like Arsenal, has managed at the highest level and won major trophies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭Underground

Just watching motd and Michael Appleton being interviewed after the game saying today wasn't about him whilst simultaneously referring to himself in the third person.

Everton
    Berserker wrote: »
    What about Klopp? Just cannot understand why a club like Arsenal don't go for him. He has the perfect personality for a club like Arsenal, has managed at the highest level and won major trophies.

Because he is manager of Liverpool. So what is there not to understand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Arsenal
    Because he is manager of Liverpool. So what is there not to understand!

I'm sure he means Rafa not Klopp.

Berserker wrote: »

I like Klopp and in all likelihood he'll be at Liverpool for a long time so the chance that Rafa manages Liverpool again is slim. But Rafa has given me the best years I can remember as a Liverpool supporter so will always be top of the pile for me.

He would do very well at any club he manages, so would be a good appointment for Arsenal. Not sure they would appoint him though for various reasons, none logical.

Rafa doing well at Newcastle. Was probably a risk career wise dropping down a division but it looks like it was a good call.

Everton
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Rafa doing well at Newcastle. Was probably a risk career wise dropping down a division but it looks like it was a good call.

Probably why Ashley wants out. #

Things are going too smoothly and too lacking of controversy for his psyche.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Liverpool
    Big games today, wins for the north London duo.

Everton
    OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I'm sure he means Rafa not Klopp.

Yeah, I may have misunderstood the complete context of the conversation as I lazily didn't read it all!
    As a one off post, you can understand how I came to conclusion he was talking about Klopp!

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Big games today, wins for the north London duo.
    A draw at both games. Though Arsenal should really be beating Everton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Liverpool
    A draw at both games. Though Arsenal should really be beating Everton.

Wouldn't put money on it, they really should go with an orthodox two up top with Lacazette and Giroud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wayne Rooney paying tribute to his old self there!

• Advertisement
Advertisement