Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

ERG89 wrote: »
    Why is Knockhaert on the bench?

Only back from an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Liverpool
    Not convinced that Aguero/Jesus partnership is the way to go. Think they'd be far more effective with 1 striker and 2 widemen coming off the flanks to create overloads out wide and offer more vertical passing options in the centre too. At the moment the pitch looks strangely cut in 2 for City, with there being a right side with Aguero and a left side with Jesus, not flowing as freely from side to side and through the middle as it should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

astradave wrote: »
    Why is there 2 active threads does anyone know?

Better off to get rid of the weekly thread and just have one thread for general premier league stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    Not convinced that Aguero/Jesus partnership is the way to go. Think they'd be far more effective with 1 striker and 2 widemen coming off the flanks to create overloads out wide and offer more vertical passing options in the centre too. At the moment the pitch looks strangely cut in 2 for City, with there being a right side with Aguero and a left side with Jesus, not flowing as freely from side to side and through the middle as it should.
    I dont think he will stay
    Pep is for me seeing if they work and going by today it doesnt
    Maybe some sort of move between Arsenal with a player going each way although with Lacazette perhaps not

Liverpool
    irishman86 wrote: »
    I dont think he will stay
    Pep is for me seeing if they work and going by today it doesnt
    Maybe some sort of move between Arsenal with a player going each way although with Lacazette perhaps not

I think he's got enough quality still for City to avoid selling him to another PL club and clearly Pep wants to give him a chance and he's giving Aguero every opportunity to make a go of it but I'm not convinced his partnership with Jesus works and against better sides it could cost them dear. I think Aguero stays this season (though if they get Sanchez maybe that changes) but I think as the season goes on Jesus will play himself into the position of being undisputed 1st choice striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Going to be a massacre.
    I'll take a 1-0 right now. We're bossing possession, but we're not actually threatening that much. Same as last season, not clinical enough. With a side that's intent on defending, you're not going to create a dozen gilt edged chances in the game. You'll make 3 or 4 good chances, and a few half chances. You've got to be clinical enough to take some of those chances when they come. I'd take Aguero off (though there is an argument for hooking Jesus, with him on a yellow) and get one of the wide guys (Leroy or Raheem) on. Nearly be tempted to take a CB off and bring on Bernardo as well.

Everton
    I think he's got enough quality still for City to avoid selling him to another PL club and clearly Pep wants to give him a chance and he's giving Aguero every opportunity to make a go of it but I'm not convinced his partnership with Jesus works and against better sides it could cost them dear. I think Aguero stays this season (though if they get Sanchez maybe that changes) but I think as the season goes on Jesus will play himself into the position of being undisputed 1st choice striker.

One thing Kun has that might keep him in place as 1st choice is even though he might not suit Pep hes still going to score goals
    If hes scoring goals its hard to drop him
    I'd love to see him head to Monaco if they part ways with Mbappe

Liverpool
    You just can't miss the 2 chances Aguero has missed in this game.

You just can't miss the 2 chances Aguero has missed in this game.
    You only get a limited number of chances in a game. We're too profligate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Hughton is reminding me of Graeme Souness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Liverpool
    Lucky Ederson, Brighton growing in confidence.

Liverpool
    blueser wrote: »
    You only get a limited number of chances in a game. We're too profligate.

True and he's missed 2 absolute sitters. Happens too often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Shocker from Brighton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

True and he's missed 2 absolute sitters. Happens too often

No it doesn't. Aguero is one of the best strikers in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

astradave wrote: »
    Shocker from Brighton

Don't know why that player turned in the way when he was completely blind to what was behind him

Liverpool
    Brighton tired, City's transitions are crazy quick and incisive. Good goal.

At bloody last!
    :D

Everton
    Like i was saying, he can be playing very average but will still grab a goal

Liverpool
    He's still got it, game over.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    irishman86 wrote: »
    Like i was saying, he can be playing very average but will still grab a goal

I've no doubt about that and I think unless they sign a world beater they should keep him but I don't think he should be City's main striker anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Jaysus, Brutal all round there from Brighton, from the three players moving forward to allow Aguero to turn to the header, to the keeper trying to catch the ball instead of just palming it away

Just like the buses; you wait ages for one, then two come together!

*First heard at the Brixton Alhambra, circa 1935

:D

Liverpool
    That's a towering header.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Liverpool
    Walker has been immense.

I've no doubt about that and I think unless they sign a world beater they should keep him but I don't think he should be City's main striker anymore.
    I can't see why Pep would want to sell him. He's always capable, even on an off day (witness that miss earlier in the second half), of getting a goal from nowhere. Beautiful set up by Merlin as well.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    I can't see why Pep would want to sell him. He's always capable, even on an off day (witness that miss earlier in the second half), of getting a goal from nowhere. Beautiful set up by Merlin as well.

Not saying he should or will sell him unless he gets a world class player to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    Why is this commentator pronouning Knockaert as Ca-nock-art?

It's a silent K isn't it? Nok-heart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everton
    Why is this commentator pronouning Knockaert as Ca-nock-art?

It's a silent K isn't it? Nok-heart?

Apparently that's how he himself pronounces it

Liverpool
    Ye, pretty good start for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    Apparently that's how he himself pronounces it

Kn, pn and the likes aren't treated with the silent first letter like they would be in English.

For example, pneumatique is pronounced how it's spelled. Tires are pneus which is pronounced p'nuh.

Also, you get some wacky names coming from very different backgrounds, like Wenger which sounds Germanic, Knockaeart which I'm guessing is Norman or something, Bixente Lizarazu which sounds Basque and then you've got most of the country using soft T's but then in the south-east, they often go for more Italian-sounding hard T's.

• Advertisement

Job done. We weren't at our best out there today, but it's a potential banana skin avoided.

And a clean sheet as well!
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Sergio Aguero is the best player in the league, how there's people wanting to sell him is beyond me.

Everton
    Gbear wrote: »
    Kn, pn and the likes aren't treated with the silent first letter like they would be in English.

For example, pneumatique is pronounced how it's spelled. Tires are pneus which is pronounced p'nuh.

Also, you get some wacky names coming from very different backgrounds, like Wenger which sounds Germanic, Knockaeart which I'm guessing is Norman or something, Bixente Lizarazu which sounds Basque and then you've got most of the country using soft T's but then in the south-east, they often go for more Italian-sounding hard T's.

YaYa is still. YaYa. And Kolo is still Kolo. That's all that really matters.

Everton
    Sergio Aguero is the best player in the league, how there's people wanting to sell him is beyond me.

I got the impression last season that "certain" posters used him as a scapegoat when Peps tactics weren't working.

Liverpool
    Job done. We weren't at our best out there today, but it's a potential banana skin avoided.

And a clean sheet as well!
    :eek:

How many times in recent years City have dominated only to concede a silly goal after relentless pressure and chances. Ederson and Walker look to be colossal upgrades.

Burial. wrote: »
    How many times in recent years City have dominated only to concede a silly goal after relentless pressure and chances. Ederson and Walker look to be colossal upgrades.
    You don't need to tell me! I remember a game against Bolton, back in Big Sam's day, at our place. Totally dominated the game. Bolton didn't have a shot on target in the whole game, and won 1-0 with an OG. Even Allardyce was embarrassed in the post match interviews. So it was nice to eventually see the game out. But we do need to sharpen up in front of goal. As for Walker and Ederson, I agree with you. Huge upgrades. Ederson had one flappy moment in the second half but, out from that, he looked assured in the little he had to do. He'll have busier days. Walker, though, was a beast out there. Our MOTM for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Aguero is 29 at his peak, all this talk of bringing in a world class player to replace him is nonsense, he is top 5 in the world material.

And he doesnt miss too many chances, in fact he has the best minute per goal ratio in premier league history. Nonsense to doubt him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Liverpool
    tastyt wrote: »
    Aguero is 29 at his peak, all this talk of bringing in a world class player to replace him is nonsense, he is top 5 in the world material.

And he doesnt miss too many chances, in fact he has the best minute per goal ratio in premier league history. Nonsense to doubt him

The only way he goes if he wanted to go,its pure **** talk to replace him,as strikers go theres really not many ahead of him.

Liverpool
    I think I've said twice already today on this thread that Pep shouldn't sell him. Couldn't be clearer about that.

However he's not even the best player in his position at his club, let alone best player in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    How do Burnley sit back and let Chelsea dominate with only 9 men? They have no business being in this league.

Of course they have a business to be in the league what a ridiculous comment.A bunch of players that give the absolute maximum everytime they go on the pitch what more could a fanbase require. Lowest wage bill in the league last year and apart from Huddersfield this year lowest wage bill again. In modern football its a great story that a club with a great history can compete in the PL with all the riches by doing things different. No foreign owner pumping millions in and they are spending sensibly within their means and managing to survive. Burnley are operating under entirely different parameters to the majority of the PL and today pulled off a great result it was great that a few Irish players were a part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I think I've said twice already today on this thread that Pep shouldn't sell him. Couldn't be clearer about that.

However he's not even the best player in his position at his club, let alone best player in the league.

Gabriel Jesus is there a wet week, he has a long way to go before he can prove he's better than Sergio Aguero.

Liverpool

To quote you from another thread:
    "Iniesta is half the player Coutinho is these days"

I have no words for that. Speechless.

Gabby Jesus looks absolutely lethal but to suggest he's already better than Aguero is one of the dumbest football statements I have ever come across.

Everton
    tastyt wrote: »

Top five striker perhaps, if thats what you meant never mind what Im about to say:o
    Hes not a top five player
    He is a top striker though a player that excites me, i do however think Pep doesnt like him and will replace him with Jesus

Liverpool
    Burial. wrote: »
    To quote you from another thread:

Gabby Jesus looks absolutely lethal but to suggest he's already better than Aguero is one of the dumbest football statements I have ever come across.

Iniesta is still at, or near, the top of his game.

Aguero looks so much less effective the last couple of years. Pep favoured Jesus for a reason last season, I think in the big games this season he'll be better off doing the same again this season. Form and current ability should, and will, come before reputation by the end of the season.

He's the best pure striker we have at the club, undoubtedly. Jesus has the potential to be something really special, but he's nowhere near Kun's level yet. It'd be madness to sell him.

Liverpool
    He's the best pure striker we have at the club, undoubtedly. Jesus has the potential to be something really special, but he's nowhere near Kun's level yet. It'd be madness to sell him.

4th time lucky here, I'm not saying to tell him, nobody is saying to sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Liverpool
    Jesus is the apprentice he has a lot to learn from Sergio

4th time lucky here, I'm not saying to tell him, nobody is saying to sell him.
    I never said you did. I quoted your post as I wanted to take issue with your opinion that he's not the best striker at the club. Please, feel free to show me where I accuse you of saying that Kun should be sold.

Liverpool
    I never said you did. I quoted your post as I wanted to take issue with your opinion that he's not the best striker at the club. Please, feel free to show me where I accuse you of saying that Kun should be sold.

The bit at the end of your post where you said "it'd be madness to sell him" whilst quoting my post would kinda indicate you think I think City should sell him.

• Advertisement

The bit at the end of your post where you said "it'd be madness to sell him" whilst quoting my post would kinda indicate you think I think City should sell him.
    Nonsense. You're reading something into my post that simply isn't there. That comment was aimed at some on here (NOT YOU; OKAY?) that had said he should be moved on.

Advertisement