Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Watch it again and tell me it's not a peno. There's no question it's a peno and no one is arguing there even a slight chance it not.
    The last was offside and Arsenal should feel hard done by.

Several people have said it was harsh here. I've seen more across the internet say it wasn't than it was tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Liverpool
    Ozil possibly lucky to not be off with a second yellow there, no attempt to play the ball just went for Delph.

On the penalty, it's contentious but Sterling was also pushed in the back by Kolasinac in the first half which caused him to miss that sitter as a result, probably should have been a penalty there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Didn’t think it was a penalty. Looked shoulder to shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Liverpool
    Not a difficult result to predict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

titan18 wrote: »
    I think you need to watch it again if you think that was Sterling's back. It's clearly shoulder to shoulder.

Sterling then starts going down and drags his leg so that Monreal hits it.
    Would you ever behave. Penalty all day long.

Ozil appears to be a real petulant so and so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Headshot wrote: »
    I dont think ill ever get Ozil and why he's rated....

Agree but he puts in a decent performance ever now and then, eg Everton away and some Arsenal fans think he's great on the back of those results.

Now, come on the draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Man City
    blueser wrote: »
    Now, come on the draw.

Aye that'll do me nicely in the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Clear penalty. Everyone focusing on the shoulder to shoulder contact but Sterling’s legs were clipped. May have initiated contact but the likes of Young and Vardy have been doing it for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Several people have said it was harsh here. I've seen more across the internet say it wasn't than it was tbh

I wouldn't believe everything you see on the internet

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye that'll do me nicely in the next one.
    A draw will be perfect for me, followed by a Chelsea win. Ideally, I don't want either of these two sides getting full points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Personally I don’t think it was a Stonewall penalty, it was more one of those that will be given every other week..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That last goal conceded by arsenal was criminal. Silva was offside but a better side would have reorganised quickly and made it difficult to score from the next phase of play. Arsenal just stopped and let them score. Shambolic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Never a foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    Phil Jones blessed there, own goal should have stood imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Liverpool

It was clear foul, Sterling ahead of him at full speed, he shoulder him but sterling is slightly ahead and makes a foul. It's no where near a 50 50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Arsenal
    Everton smell

Everton up to their ankles in the smelly brown stuff. 2 down at home to Watford.

• Advertisement

Everton up to their ankles in the smelly brown stuff. 2 down at home to Watford.

2-2, not sure what has happened but sounds like a big turnaround.

Berserker wrote: »
    2-2, not sure what has happened but sounds like a big turnaround.
    3-2 up now. Bottle job from Watford.

Liverpool
    Give Unsworth the job.

Liverpool
    Watford keeper went off injured his replacement has let in all 3 of Everton's goals.. Ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everton
    Watford miss peno 11 minutes into injury time !!!

Cleverly against old club!

Sounds like a cracking match

Give Unsworth the job.

I think SD or Sam will take over during the international break. Would be a big gamble to give it to him.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    Berserker wrote: »
    I think SD or Sam will take over during the international break. Would be a big gamble to give it to him.

It would be worth it just to see the Joey Barton meltdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What happened for so much added time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Everton
    pjohnson wrote: »
    What happened for so much added time.

Head injury for Gomes I believe. His replacement then conceded three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Another weekend and City go further clear. Could be the most boring league in years at this rate. Only excitement will be relegation and the race for fourth between Arsenal Pool and United.

It was clear foul, Sterling ahead of him at full speed, he shoulder him but sterling is slightly ahead and makes a foul. It's no where near a 50 50
    I wonder if Wenger will have the guts to apologise for his shabby comment on Raheem. Even Ian Wright (as Arsenal as they come) called him out on it.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    I wonder if Wenger will have the guts to apologise for his shabby comment on Raheem. Even Ian Wright (as Arsenal as they come) called him out on it.

What did he say?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    What did he say?
    Who? Wenger?

Liverpool
    Who? Wenger?

Yep, haven't seen MOTD or his post match interview.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Yep, haven't seen MOTD or his post match interview.
    Sorry; didn't realise that. Anyway, Wenger said; "I believe it was no penalty. We know Raheem Sterling dives well, he does that very well". Both Wright and Shearer called Wenger out on it and said he owes Raheem an apology. Replays clearly show that Monreal clipped Sterling's leg. Wright called it a clumsy, clunky challenge and both he and Shearer said it was a definite penalty.

Liverpool
    Sorry; didn't realise that. Anyway, Wenger said; "I believe it was no penalty. We know Raheem Sterling dives well, he does that very well". Both Wright and Shearer called Wenger out on it and said he owes Raheem an apology. Replays clearly show that Monreal clipped Sterling's leg. Wright called it a clumsy, clunky challenge and both he and Shearer said it was a definite penalty.

Wenger always feels hard done by when a decision goes against Arsenal and he sees everyone of those decisions. Conveniently he doesn't see the dives etc that his players do.

Everton
    Apologising isn't going to change his or most fans opinion!

Ian Wright has moaned about diving for years on tv anyway and Shearer was a "smart" thug on the pitch himself! I wouldn't take moral advice from either!

Apologising isn't going to change his or most fans opinion!

Ian Wright has moaned about diving for years on tv anyway and Shearer was a "smart" thug on the pitch himself! I wouldn't take moral advice from either!
    So; are you saying he was right in his comment?

Everton
    So; are you saying he was right in his comment?

not the point I am making. It was a penalty if that is what you want me to say.

not the point I am making. It was a penalty if that is what you want me to say.
    No; not that. Stevie Wonder can see it was a penalty. I'm asking you if you think Wenger was right to make that comment about Raheem. When he clearly didn't dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

blueser wrote:
    No; not that. Stevie Wonder can see it was a penalty. I'm asking you if you think Wenger was right to make that comment about Raheem. When he clearly didn't dive.

Well if he comments on that it'll deflect the attention off him & his tactical choices with Monreal in the middle of a back 4, Xhaka & Ramsay as a pairing were woeful again in a big game, Lacazette should have started & Ozil went into hiding. A lot of this is overly familiar for what happens under Wenger. Even Arsenal fan tv, admittedly not a balanced view not many were questioning the officiating more the tactics.

• Advertisement

Everton

No, again, not what I am saying!!

Wright and Shearer, 2 bastions of morality around the box in their time, were saying Wenger should apologise for stating that he considers Sterling a diver.

Wenger was done over a few times when Sterling was at Liverpool by his diving, I recall one in particular so maybe it is ingrained in his mind so I doubt his apology means anything, if given.
    And especially being told to do it by the likes of Shearer!

You shouldn't read too much into what I am saying, on a City fan POV. It is not an anti City dig. Don't take it to heart!

Wengers a whinging deflector of the truth but my point was more about Shearer and Wright's "advice"

Only last year, Wright literally branded Vardy a diver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

He didn't technically say he did ;)

Liverpool
    As expected.

Slaven Bilic: West Ham sack manager with team in the relegation zone

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41702779?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Liverpool
    Moyes as replacement,rumours say. Dunno if the fans will be happy with that. Such a long time since the halcyon days at Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    West Ham were like Palace, in real danger of going down so theyve went for the safe option.

I do hope that it backfires for both of them and theyre both relegated, more so Palace after sacking De Boer after so few games but West Ham had to make that call, theyve been on a downward spiral for sometime under Bilic, they some how managed to beat Spurs the other week in the cup but that was seriously unexpected and far from the norm.

• Everton
    It's crazy the amount of managers in the bottom half under severe pressure.
    Could be a PL record on the cards for multiple sackings in the same season?

Liverpool
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It's crazy the amount of managers in the bottom half under severe pressure.
    Could be a PL record on the cards for multiple sackings in the same season?

Palace are effectively 7 pts from safety with their abysmal goal difference, 50% of their goals came against us FFS. :o

I'd be surprised though if Hodgson was still there at the end of the season.

Would Swansea sack Clement, I reckon they would but depends on who they could replace him with I suppose, theyve been in the league half a decade now and wont want to drop into the Championship but they seem to be run pretty well.

I think Eddie Howe gets a lot of credit for doing a bang average job and its only because hes English and plays with a "progressive" style but I could see him staying on even if they went down.

WBA and Pulis are a few bad results from parting company I'd say, theyve Chelsea (h), Spurs (a) newcastle (h) palace (h) swansea (a) in their next 5, if Pulis doesnt pick up about 7-9 points from those games he could be gone before christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think Eddie Howe gets a lot of credit for doing a bang average job and its only because hes English and plays with a "progressive" style but I could see him staying on even if they went down.

:confused:

Where do you think that squad at his disposal should be? In the top half? Surely not.

Winning promotion from league 2, league 1, the championship and staying up in the premiership. I'd hate you to be my boss if you perceive those results as "bang average".

Liverpool
    Morrison J wrote: »
    :confused:

Where do you think that squad at his disposal should be? In the top half? Surely not.

Winning promotion from league 2, league 1, the championship and staying up in the premiership. I'd hate you to be my boss if you perceive those results as "bang average".

Its more to do with the fact that because hes English, the media fawn over him more than others and you'll get some of them pushing the Howe for a big job agenda.

8th to 17th last year were seperated by 6 points so there was 10 teams in a no mans land so to speak, well clear of relegation (6 points) and miles off top 6 (15 points).

Last year they finished on 46 pts and were 9th, the year before they had 42 pts and finished in 16th.

Ive nothing against Howe or Bournemouth but I dont get the notion that he should be given a bigger job just yet, so maybe my gripe is with the media.

I also cant see him getting sacked, as youve pointed out, hes got them to where they are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Its more to do with the fact that because hes English, the media fawn over him more than others and you'll get some of them pushing the Howe for a big job agenda.

8th to 17th last year were seperated by 6 points so there was 10 teams in a no mans land so to speak, well clear of relegation (6 points) and miles off top 6 (15 points).

Last year they finished on 46 pts and were 9th, the year before they had 42 pts and finished in 16th.

Ive nothing against Howe or Bournemouth but I dont get the notion that he should be given a bigger job just yet, so maybe my gripe is with the media.

I also cant see him getting sacked, as youve pointed out, hes got them to where they are now.

Fair enough. I dislike the English media as much as most but I can see why they are fawning over Howe. Working miracles with Bournemouth since day 1 and to be honest achieving anything that isn't relegation is impressive with that squad he has. I don't think a top 6 finish is in any way realistic for them.

Young, English and plays good positive football. He's exactly what the English team needs coming from old, negative, past its like Capello and Hodgson. I don't see a better candidate personally.

Advertisement