Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Everton
    Just to add, Both Arsenals and Spurs results are as bad or worse than Utds results away from home to the top 6 sides over the last 5 years+
    Any comments on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Liverpool
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Just to add, Both Arsenals and Spurs results are as bad or worse than Utds results away from home to the top 6 sides over the last 5 years+
    Any comments on that?

Wenger and Arsenal receive lots of criticism for their poor recent record against the top 6. It's only fair that Mourinho and United receive the same criticism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Klopp receives it for dropping points to weaker teams.

Each manager gets criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Any comments on that?
    Uh yeah, reams and reams of newspaper columns. I'd say you're blind if you haven't seen any comments on Arsenals away record against big sides!

• Everton
    greendom wrote: »
    Wenger and Arsenal receive lots of criticism for their poor recent record against the top 6. It's only fair that Mourinho and United receive the same criticism

Oh I agree. Just haven't seen it in this thread. Just thought I'd drop it in ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    Think I seen a stat online and I'm not sure if its true but no team has had a bigger lead after 11 games than Man City currently have, if they keep it up they'll smash all types of records.

I think they'll beat the most points, most wins and most goals in a season.

Oh I agree. Just haven't seen it in this thread. Just thought I'd drop it in ;)

Arsenal fans aren't moaning about their manager coming under scrutiny, I'd guess that's the diffference.

• Everton
    Arsenal fans aren't moaning about their manager coming under scrutiny, I'd guess that's the diffference.

Probably because he's been **** for 5+ years now

Probably because he's been **** for 5+ years now

Tell us more of this gripping insight :pac:

• Everton
    Tell us more of this gripping insight :pac:

No bother!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Think I seen a stat online and I'm not sure if its true but no team has had a bigger lead after 11 games than Man City currently have, if they keep it up they'll smash all types of records.

On track for 133 goals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They really are incredible. Just slicing open otherwise defensively resolute teams with ease. The teamwork, movement, passing, pressing.. it's all so perfectly in sync, and all without a superstar Messi/Ronaldo in the side.

I think it might be the most impressively balanced team I've seen in the past 20 or 30 years, since that great Milan team (at least, for right now, while everything is clicking that is!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Islander13 wrote: »
    On track for 133 goals!
    If you're counting just PL goals, we'd need 97 more from 27 games. That's nearly 4 goals per game. In my humble opinion, there's no chance of us getting to that mark. Opposition sides will learn how to park the bus more effectively against us. We won't keep on banging in 3s, 4s and 5s like we have been doing. The 100 goal mark might be slightly more achievable (a smidgin under 2.5 goals per game).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Any comments on that?

What do you think of utds results and approach to games away at top 6 teams under Jose.

I hope he sticks to his approach!

Liverpool
    It must be hard being an Everton fan, with big Sam apparently being the most likely candidate, I'd be seriously disappointed but West Ham have out done them by going and appointing Moyes. :o

Liverpool
    David Moyes and Stuart Pearce is looking like the football dark ages for West Ham a team who once won the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    It must be hard being an Everton fan, with big Sam apparently being the most likely candidate, I'd be seriously disappointed but West Ham have out done them by going and appointing Moyes. :o

I've seen a lot of people lump them in the same category today. V unfair on Sam. One has been a big success nearly everywhere, the other has failed badly in his last three jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    The one positive about Moyes is that he brings Man Utd and Liverpool fans together in agreement. That takes some doing

Liverpool
    Depends on how you judge success.

Moyes has been more successful than Big Sam in the PL.

Moyes PL record 14 seasons.
    Matches 499
    Wins 196
    Draws 135
    Losses 168
    Goals For 653
    Goals Against 612

https://www.premierleague.com/managers/2067/David-Moyes/overview

Big Sam's PL record 15 seasons.
    Matches 488
    Wins 165
    Draws 131
    Losses 192
    Goals For 579
    Goals Against 668

https://www.premierleague.com/managers/2049/Sam-Allardyce/overview

• Advertisement

Spurs
    Depends on how you judge success.

Moyes has been more successful than Big Sam in the PL.

Moyes PL record 14 seasons.
    Matches 499
    Wins 196
    Draws 135
    Losses 168
    Goals For 653
    Goals Against 612

Big Sam's PL record 15 seasons.
    Matches 488
    Wins 165
    Draws 131
    Losses 192
    Goals For 579
    Goals Against 668

It's all relative to the ability of the teams they managed so comparing win rates is madness. United and Everton are obviously going to win more games than Bolton and Sunderland regardless of who's managing them.

Liverpool
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    It's all relative to the ability of the teams they managed so comparing win rates is madness. United and Everton are obviously going to win more games than Bolton and Sunderland regardless of who's managing them.

The only team out of place there is Utd just like the England job is for Big Sam.

Everton, Sunderland, Newcastle, Palace, Blackburn & Bolton when managed by both there really wouldn't be a huge difference between budgets players etc.

Saying that I wouldn't want either anywhere near a club I supported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Style over substance and "moral victories" are embarassing fashionable trends tgis season.

Spurs
    The only team out of place there is Utd just like the England job is for Big Sam.

Everton, Sunderland, Newcastle, Palace, Blackburn & Bolton when managed by both there really wouldn't be a huge difference between budgets players etc.

Saying that I wouldn't want either anywhere near a club I supported.

Sam has joined most teams when they've either been in the Championship or struggling in relegation zones. He improved all their win rates drastically to get them promoted or keep them safe. Newcastle aside where he wasn't given money to spend or fair chance he's taken all his clubs to their realistic peak based on budgetary constraints so you can't ask more than that.

Moyes largely did similar at Everton for a long time but has struggled badly since. Personally think the United job was too big for his personality and that' failure has had massive impact on his confidence and he cuts a unconvincing figure now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Allardyce is a superb manager.

He's on another level to Moyes.

Spurs
    Paully D wrote: »

It's funny, fans hate him when he arrives at their club but miss him when he's gone.

Liverpool
    I've seen a lot of people lump them in the same category today. V unfair on Sam. One has been a big success nearly everywhere, the other has failed badly in his last three jobs.

My point was more to do with the fact that if I was an Everton fan, I'd hope the club would be a bit ambitious and would be aiming for someone better than Sam and not looking for a short term solution.

They could have left Unsowrth in charge, they wont go down and they wont finish in the European places under Unsworth or Sam for that matter and could have thrown money at a manager in the summer after the WC instead of being hamstrung with a manager they'll replace in 3 years, max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Allardyce's success is relative, though.

Bolton was by far his crowning achievement as he got them into Europe and had the club punching above its weight. Look at how they've fallen since.

He can establish teams in the PL and keep them up but, apart from Bolton, he hasn't achieved more. If I were an Everton fan, I'd be ok with him if it was to guarantee survival. I don't think he's the man to take them further up the table.

And, in fairness, what exactly is wrong with having ambition and wanting to move up the table? Whether it be Everton or West Ham.

Meanwhile Moyes has shown nothing whatsoever since he left Everton. He's not in the same league at all. For all the talk of ambition at West Ham, Moyes seems like ten backward steps.

• Everton
    Paully D wrote: »

Alot of people dislike him for absolutely no reason IMO
    I'd agree, would be miles better than Moyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Alot of people dislike him for absolutely no reason IMO
    I'd agree, would be miles better than Moyes

He has a loathsome personality, that's why people dislike him.

• Everton
    JPA wrote: »
    He has a loathsome personality, that's why people dislike him.

Really, why?

Spurs
    Allardyce's success is relative, though.

Bolton was by far his crowning achievement as he got them into Europe and had the club punching above its weight. Look at how they've fallen since.

He can establish teams in the PL and keep them up but, apart from Bolton, he hasn't achieved more. If I were an Everton fan, I'd be ok with him if it was to guarantee survival. I don't think he's the man to take them further up the table.

And, in fairness, what exactly is wrong with having ambition and wanting to move up the table? Whether it be Everton or West Ham.

Meanwhile Moyes has shown nothing whatsoever since he left Everton. He's not in the same league at all. For all the talk of ambition at West Ham, Moyes seems like ten backward steps.

Bolton falling since is a sign of how good he was to have a traditionally lower league side up in the higher part of the premier league.

Really shocked at how people can't see how close to impossible it is for a side like that to go any further realistically. In any of the top leagues it's extremely rare for a lower sides to finish top 4. Like Leicester were a crazy anomaly. Aside from them has there even been a top 4 shock in England in the last 20 years?? It just doesn't happen. If Guardiola or Mourinho went to a Bolton on a substandard budget they wouldn't get them into top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Its amazing that there has been no mention at all of allardyces dodgy dealings that got him sacked from the england job. Hes been going round the houses on motd, sky, newspaper articles etc, not once has it been brought as a reason not to hire him, even though it was little over a year ago.

I guess the english press & chairmen are willing to give him a pass for creaming off the top, as long as the money keeps rolling in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Liverpool
    What a horrible appointment by the hammers, Moyes is the definition of a busted flush, he'll be sacked before the season is over, everton dodged a bullet.

Great to see two legends back in the hot seat, especially Moysie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Don't get the big Sam hate, considering he managed a poor irish league team also..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Has a baleful Moysie told the world that West Ham are in a relegation dog-fight yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Really, why?

Extraordinarily arrogant and plagued by questionable dealings his whole career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

retalivity wrote: »
    Its amazing that there has been no mention at all of allardyces dodgy dealings that got him sacked from the england job. Hes been going round the houses on motd, sky, newspaper articles etc, not once has it been brought as a reason not to hire him, even though it was little over a year ago.

I guess the english press & chairmen are willing to give him a pass for creaming off the top, as long as the money keeps rolling in.

I think there's since been a general appreciation of the fact that those comments were more crass and extremely bad PR, than any actual wrongdoing.

It all looked bad, rather than being bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

JPA wrote: »
    Extraordinarily arrogant and plagued by questionable dealings his whole career.

Allardici... Arrogant? Ah Big Sam's alright, the dodgy dealings are part of the charm, along with the pint of wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Is their a list of the 3-m KO on Sky Ireland anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Monday 1 January 2018
    Brighton 12:30 AFC Bournemouth - Sky Sports
    Everton 17:30 Man Utd - Sky Sports

Tuesday 2 January 2018
    Swansea 19:45 Spurs - Sky Sports

Wednesday 3 January 2018
    Arsenal 19:45 Chelsea - Sky Sports

Saturday 13 January 2018
    Spurs 17:30 Everton - BT Sport

Sunday 14 January 2018
    AFC Bournemouth 13:30 Arsenal - Sky Sports
    Liverpool 16:00 Man City - Sky Sports

Monday 15 January 2018
    Man Utd 20:00 Stoke - Sky Sports

Saturday 20 January 2018
    Brighton 12:30 Chelsea - Sky Sports
    Man City 17:30 Newcastle - BT Sport

Sunday 21 January 2018
    Southampton 16:00 Spurs - Sky Sports

Monday 22 January 2018
    Swansea 20:00 Liverpool - Sky Sports

Tuesday 30 January 2018
    Huddersfield 20:00 Liverpool - BT Sport

Wednesday 31 January 2018
    Spurs 20:00 Man Utd - BT Sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just because he got a little more press coverage suggesting dodgy dealings doesn't mean he was that bad.
    Like those same rumours were around about Alex Ferguson, Harry Redknapp, and his dog! and plenty of other managers too but you hear people bring it up about Allardyce all the time.
    As for the cocky bit, I just don't get that. I always considered him a straight talker and the one about being able to manage Real Madrid and the likes was him pulling the piss out of a journo for asking a stupid question but that journo then ran with the story like Sam was serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

Sky sports have just tweeted that Chris Coleman has resigned as Welsh boss and agreed to take over as manager of sunderland

Spurs
    Hello decent club football, oh how we've missed you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42022871

BBC Sport‏Verified account
    @BBCSport
    8m8 minutes ago
    More
    Saturday night matches look to be coming to the Premier League.

Club chairmen have voted for more televised fixtures.

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/931667981213552643

Just daring people to ditch paying to watch on TV now. More games equals more cost for fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Liverpool
    Time to drown our sorrows with some red hot 'best league in the world TM' action.

The north London derby's first up, can't see beyond a win for the north London side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I have so little confidence in Wenger now I'm pleasantly surprised he's started Lacazette. Then again Giroud is out so his options were more limited.

Spurs
    Poch my favourite character of the big six managers. He seems unassuming and never makes anything about him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement