Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    This is the best derby in England by a mile. Always entertaining open games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everton
    Only 2 away wins in 16 games against the 5 other "top six" clubs for Spurs under Poch in a team that has challenged for the league for the last 2 seasons is pretty damning stat over the last 3 seasons and the reason they haven't won the league arguably.

I never understand how top clubs can have such a record away from home. Sure WHL in the last few seasons seemed to have some advantage to their style but surely not to that level. At this stage you can't just put it down to coincidence.

Home stadiums in the domestic sense aren't anyway as intimidating anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Shocking refereeing there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Liverpool
    Non-contact sport, ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Not a free and then offside.

Liverpool
    Typical, Dean has had a shocker.

Spurs
    Only 2 away wins in 16 games against the 5 other "top six" clubs for Spurs under Poch in a team that has challenged for the league for the last 2 seasons is pretty damning stat over the last 3 seasons and the reason they haven't won the league arguably.

I never understand how top clubs can have such a record away from home. Sure WHL in the last few seasons seemed to have some advantage to their style but surely not to that level. At this stage you can't just put it down to coincidence.

Home stadiums in the domestic sense aren't anyway as intimidating anymore.

Yeah Jose's record is even worse away from home against big teams, although that's easier to explain given how he approaches those matches.

It is peculiar though as home advantage is statistically becoming far less of an factor overall in the league but still seems a big advantage in games with the big sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    Great header but yeah offside and never a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    **** em no sympathy after what Ericsson did Tuesday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That's a brilliant header from Mustafi to put Arsenal 1-0 up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

SlickRic wrote: »
    Not a free and then offside.

Absolutely shocking for the free, the offside is hard and somewhat more understandable. Dean knew straight away he'd made a mistake because he didn't book Sanchez.

Good game to be fair though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Not a foul, in my opinion. And he looked just offside. After Wenger's moaning about the (correct) penalty decision and the admittedly wrong call for Raz's goal at our place, I await his comments on that goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

niallo27 wrote: »
    **** em no sympathy after what Ericsson did Tuesday night.

Ah yeah, the bollix being better than our rubbish shower

Liverpool
    Oh spurs. I'd hate to support you full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    fullstop wrote: »
    Ah yeah, the bollix being better than our rubbish shower

Oh I didn't say it was logical just saying **** em

• Advertisement

Spurs
    Lloris needs to be going in where it hurts there. Very cowardly goalkeeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Arsenal are 2-0 up now. Sanchez with the second.

Liverpool
    Rekop dog wrote: »

Poor footwork more than anything.

Another one that could well have been chalked off for offside. Will Wenger be as forthright with his opinions this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Never got his balance back after expecting it to be a shot first time really.

That Sanchez got that space in that position is a bigger worry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Second goal was offside too wasn’t it? Spurs will never win the league with that keeper. He will cost them goals and points every season. The media love comparing him to De Gea and always conveniently forget about the many howlers he has had in the last few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    Sissoko and Alli trying there best to give the ball away in dangerous places every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Second goal was offside too wasn’t it? Spurs will never win the league with that keeper. He will cost them goals and points every season. The media love comparing him to De Gea and always conveniently forget about the many howlers he has had in the last few seasons.

No, it was only his left arm. The rest of his body was level. You can't give offside for that.

I mean if he has his arm outstretched and ahead of his body, then he's offside. But if he had his arm down by side instead, then he'd be perfectly onside? That wouldn't make any sense.

Everton

Ah, come on. He has been brilliant the last few seasons. Stats wise ranks amongst best in Europe and the stats are not flattering him in any way.

Kept clean sheet in just about half his games last season in the league.

I can't remember any series of errors, never mind howlers, that has cost Spurs points over the last 2 seasons.

Every keeper has the odd blunder but there aren't many other keepers out there you would trust over Lloris.

Who would you prefer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    jamescd wrote: »
    I mean if he has his arm outstretched and ahead of his body, then he's offside. .

As far as I'm aware you can only be offside if a part of your body that you can score with is ahead of the last defender as the ball is played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    emmetkenny wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware you can only be offside if a part of your body that you can score with is ahead of the last defender as the ball is played.

Correct he could have his arms doing the hokey pokey in an offside position once the rest is onside

Liverpool
    Bitch bitch bitch, play on ffs.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    That's my understanding of the rule. Having seen the replay, the second goal looked okay. The first one was a ridiculous decision by the ref though.

Spurs
    Ozil most composed player out there today. Finding lots of space.

Liverpool
    Spurs have been timid, arsenal of all teams outmuscling them.

• Advertisement

Everton
    The sight of Eriksen and receding hairline and quiff will forever haunt me, but I still love him as a player.

Barely got a kick today, though. We afforded him far too much space Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The sight of Eriksen and receding hairline and quiff will forever haunt me, but I still love him as a player.

Barely got a kick today, though. We afforded him far too much space Tuesday.

Sadly for Spurs Dele Alli hasn't done as much to create chances for him as Stephen Ward & Martin O'Neill did earlier this week

Spurs
    Probably the loudest I've heard The Emirates. I know there's an element of it everywhere but English are the biggest culprits of only singing when they're winning.

Spurs
    Fairly damning indictment of a side losing 2-0 is that Davinson Sanchez has been Spurs' best player by a distance.

First time you can say it's been a real Spursy performance by Tottenham in a while. Could have scored there through Son but Arsenal made a mess of a few opportunities to increase the lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Özil's attempt at growing sideburns is woeful.

Spurs
    Remove City and we'd have a thrilling title race right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Sanchez and Ozil class today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    Probably the loudest I've heard The Emirates. I know there's an element of it everywhere but English are the biggest culprits of only singing when they're winning.

Did you miss the Ireland game :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Liverpool
    Good win for Arsenal in the NL Derby against The Harry Kane team.

Spurs
    irishman86 wrote: »
    Did you miss the Ireland game :pac:

No but I've been to plenty of Irish games where we have been loud in defeat.

Premier league fans are the most fickle in my experience of going to games across Europe.

Everton

Premier league fans are the most fickle in my experience of going to games across Europe.

Rubbish. You have had games in Italy I'm the top flight with 1 away fan.

Liverpool
    City to pummel the foxes, blood sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Liverpool
    Crazy to think City will be 11 points clear of second place at 5 o'clock,and after only just 12 games played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Spurs are light years away from winning a league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Only away games with a large portion only there for the piss up. Lansdowne is always dead when losing.

Everton
    fullstop wrote: »
    Only away games with a large portion only there for the piss up. Lansdowne is always dead when losing.

A large portion only there for the piss up is one of the most obnoxious statements on here and that takes some doing.

Spurs
    That's a clear red for me for Kompany. Nobody is catching vardy there. Poor poor decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Kompany booked after 2 minutes and probably fortunate it wasn't a red as he hacks down Jamie Vardy who is through on goal. What a shock.

Is there a more overrated player in Premier League history than Vincent?

Paully D wrote: »
    Is there a more overrated player in Premier League history than Vincent?

He's well past his best much of it due to injury tbf

• Advertisement
Advertisement