Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Niasse surely to get a retrospective ban for this dive to win a peno.. shocking by Taylor

https://imgtc.com/w/OZ7MCYh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

I think we can all agree, Delph has transformed into one of the best LB’s on the planet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    astradave wrote: »
    Niasse surely to get a retrospective ban for this dive to win a peno.. shocking by Taylor

https://imgtc.com/w/OZ7MCYh

Ref right there too. Awful decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Jayop wrote: »
    A large portion only there for the piss up is one of the most obnoxious statements on here and that takes some doing.

Triggered?

I know several people who have been to Euro 2012 & 2016 and never set foot in the Aviva before or since, so yes, only there for the piss up. They've admitted as much. I probably should have said tournament games rather than away games as the lads trekking to Kazakhstan and the likes are proper fans. If you have an issue with the overall jist i couldn't care less.

Everton
    Triggered? Get a grip of yourself. Trying to outdo your previous obnoxious post with ****e like that.

Triggered? Get a grip of yourself. Trying to outdo your previous obnoxious post with ****e like that.

Jog on so hun if you don't like it :rolleyes:

Everton
    fullstop wrote: »
    Jog on so hun if you don't like it :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be a fan of obnoxious ****e but I don't need a safe space or anything.

I wouldn't be a fan of obnoxious ****e but I don't need a safe space or anything.

Not a fan of the truth, but sure keep peddling the obnoxious thing. Anyway, back to the Premier League...

Everton
    Nice goal Salah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Paully D wrote: »
    Kompany booked after 2 minutes and probably fortunate it wasn't a red as he hacks down Jamie Vardy who is through on goal. What a shock.

Is there a more overrated player in Premier League history than Vincent?

He was class but with his injuries he's hugely declined. He used his physicality to great effect and was pure class at his best. But he has not adapted to his decreased abilities and he's more likely to do what he did today or injure himself rather than play with composure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Get in! Nice one Gabby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Pep has done wonders for both Sterling and Delph. England may have a lot to thank him for next Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

That City goal was a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

West Brom have started where they left off last season & I'm not a bit surprised to see Chelsea stuff them.
    They'll probably be ok with the garbage below them.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Pep has done wonders for both Sterling and Delph. England may have a lot to thank him for next Summer.

Delph has been a revelation. Man of the first half for me, as far as City players are concerned. The injury to Stones is a worry though. Otamendi will be back after today, but how long will Kompany last until he gets injured again. And Mangala scares me.

That City goal was a thing of beauty.
    They all are!
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

ERG89 wrote: »
    West Brom have started where they left off last season & I'm not a bit surprised to see Chelsea stuff them.
    They'll probably be ok with the garbage below them.

How much longer will Pulis last there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Oh no AIG may have been right after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Liverpool
    rob316 wrote: »
    Oh no AIG may have been right after all.

The one who must not be named. :p

• Advertisement

How much longer will Pulis last there?

I don't know. Usually their thing is start well & be safe by February then their form goes to pot.
    This year it might have to be the reverse of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Second goal was offside too wasn’t it? Spurs will never win the league with that keeper. He will cost them goals and points every season. The media love comparing him to De Gea and always conveniently forget about the many howlers he has had in the last few seasons.

Ah, come on. He has been brilliant the last few seasons. Stats wise ranks amongst best in Europe and the stats are not flattering him in any way.

Kept clean sheet in just about half his games last season in the league.

I can't remember any series of errors, never mind howlers, that has cost Spurs points over the last 2 seasons.

Every keeper has the odd blunder but there aren't many other keepers out there you would trust over Lloris.

Who would you prefer?

I think his mentality is very fragile, and he’s capable of doing anything (including amazing saves in fairness). He made a couple of horrendous errors in a single game last season, I think it was against City or Liverpool. He also had a big error in the last minute of a crucial world cup game against Sweden recently. I wouldn’t trust him under real pressure and I think Spurs have the best defence and centre half pairing in the league which probably helps his stats.

I’d obviously take De Gea ahead of him but I’d also take the Chelsea keeper and the Leicester keeper ahead of him. The new city keeper also looks a stable presence.

Spurs
    Cracking finish KDB. He and Salah in their own league in a race for POTY

A blinder of a goal from the King of the Assists there!

Cracking finish KDB. He and Salah in their own league in a race for POTY
    You think Salah is having as good a season as KDB?

Spurs
    blueser wrote: »

Not quite but doesn't have the same quality of players around him which has to be factored in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Liverpool
    Eden Hazard is having quite a good season.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Job done. Good to keep a clean sheet against the likes of Vardy and Mahrez, and a big change on the corresponding game last season. Feyenoord up next on tuesday night, then off to Huddersfield next sunday tea time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool

He is currently top scorer in the league.

It's not like it's completely out of left field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He's scored 14 goals in 18 games. And he's not even a striker. Certainly well up there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    He's scored 14 goals in 18 games. And he's not even a striker. Certainly well up there.

I'd have him above KDB based on the squads of both clubs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Is it just me or does it already feel like everyone else is already playing to be the best of the rest? doesn't not feel like there will be a title race. Of course there could be, not saying there couldn't just feels like it's Man City's season already

Salah is having a very good season, I'm not arguing that. I just think that Kev has stepped up his influence on games to a remarkable level this season. Then again, I'm biased.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Is it just me or does it already feel like everyone else is already playing to be the best of the rest? doesn't not feel like there will be a title race. Of course there could be, not saying there couldn't just feels like it's Man City's season already

City will hit a rough patch at some stage, but the squad they have they can deal with it. Fernandinho, if he were to get injured would badly hurt them. He's the engine of that team, but he also keeps everything ticking. Class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Crystal Palace

Yeah it definitely seems like it. It is ridiculous to crown them champions in November already, but this has the potential to be the most boring of title races in Premier league history.

Nonsense. I remember back to when we won the title under Mancini; we were 8 points behind utd with six games to go, and we managed to reel them in. We will (probably) be the same amount ahead come 8 o'clock tonight. And there's still 26 games to go. Plenty of time for us to cock things up. Yes; it's an excellent start. But that's all it is, a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    26 goals in 8 games today.. gonna be a decent showing on MOTD later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    astradave wrote: »
    26 goals in 8 games today.. gonna be a decent showing on MOTD later

Followed by "Greatest League In The World"

Another reminder of how good of a job Sean Dyche is doing today.
    22 points in 12 with a fairly difficult schedule, they'd have to implode to go down now. Thought they'd be in trouble this season; they aren't relying on home form as much this season either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

ERG89 wrote: »
    Another reminder of how good of a job Sean Dyche is doing today.
    22 points in 12 with a fairly difficult schedule, they'd have to implode to go down now. Thought they'd be in trouble this season; they aren't relying on home form as much this season either.

Yeah, thought they'd struggle. Don't get why Everton haven't gone in for him. Heard reports that West Brom were appalling today. I think they'll get shot of Pulis pretty soon. Wonder if they'll go for him or Sam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The league is already split into two - the Big Six plus Burnley and then a 7 point gap to the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Followed by "Greatest League In The World"

Where there are no easy games .... unless you are Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not getting much better for West Ham anyway

Spurs
    Watford are gonna get silly money for Richarlison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Joe Hart is blessed to have had the career he has, thoroughly average goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Arnautovic gone down like he was shot. Why do they have a stretcher on when its a hand injury?

Hart should of done better for the second goal.

West Ham missed some real good chances in this game but Carroll could have been easily sent off. He's so slow & lumbering I'd bet Moyes would beat him in a race. The hardest he ran was to clip Richarlyson out of soreness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Everton
    West Ham have been alright, but Obiang and Noble look out of their depth, Noble especially the last few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Liverpool
    Couple of of great saves from Gomez today, and didn't realise Will Hughes was only 22, seems like he's been around for ever in the Championship

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Richarlison defintely one of the discoveries of the season.

• Advertisement

Spurs
    Moyesy will probably come out and tell fans to expect relegation.

Advertisement