Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Joe Hart is blessed to have had the career he has, thoroughly average goalkeeper.

He was a top class keeper at Man City but the move away has dented his confidence big time. West Ham are a mess and it'd be very hard to settle in there. I was surprised that Liverpool or Arsenal didn't go in for him. On the subject of goalkeeping, Gomes was in great form for Watford today. That double save at the end of first half was unreal.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Moyesy will probably come out and tell fans to expect relegation.

Well if they keep him, that's what they'll get anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Berserker wrote: »
    Where there are no easy games .... unless you are Man City.

Is that true, really??
    Have any of the top 6 (I'm excluding Burnley for the moment) lost to any of the other teams this season? There may be one or two occasions, but without researching it, it seems to be more infrequent than before.

Even excluding a City team that is in extraordinary form, there are weekly hammering from other top 6 teams, e.g this week big wins for Liverpool, United, and Chelsea (remember Spurs played Arsenal). The gap between the top 6 and the rest appears to be getting wider and wider all the time.

One notable exception at the moment is Burnley. They have competed well in fairness to them, whether they can remain competitive in the medium term remains to be seen.

5starpool wrote: »
    Well if they keep him, that's what they'll get anyhow.

West Ham fans really annoyed with the board as well. Singing against them at the game today. Clips on social media from their fan tv. Looking like a good candidate for a relegation battle this season for definite.
    Is that true, really??

That post was tongue in cheek. Man City is a clear example of a team who cruise most games, so I used them as my main example. Totally agree with you about the rest of the top six teams and the divide between them and the remainder of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

He was a top class keeper at Man City but the move away has dented his confidence big time. West Ham are a mess and it'd be very hard to settle in there. I was surprised that Liverpool or Arsenal didn't go in for him. On the subject of goalkeeping, Gomes was in great form for Watford today. That double save at the end of first half was unreal.
    He was brilliant for us, particularly in the period between 2011 and 2015. He saved points for us on multiple occasions. But his last 12-18 months with us was very up and down, and his form has declined sharply since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Moyesy will probably come out and tell fans to expect relegation.
    I see he's started the blame game already, saying he was disappointed with West Ham's "big players with big reputations". That's not going to help him in getting those players on board.

Moysie. Football genius.
    Speaking to Sky Sports after the game, Moyes was asked what he'd made of the performance.

"Well, I think most people would've expected something like that because that's the way it's been," he replied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Pulis unsurprisingly has gotten the sack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

klose wrote: »

Early enough in the day to make the usual Monday morning footie podcasts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Still has never relegated a team. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Looking at their record this year its atrocious. 2 wins back in August and before that it was March, 6 wins in total for 2017 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Arsenal

Good riddance. An absolute football cretin

• Everton
    ricero wrote: »
    Good riddance. An absolute football cretin

Bit harsh no!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Thank god Pulis got the bullet. I've never hated watching a side more than them. Every player back defending, no license to go forward. They've a decent squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Thank god Pulis got the bullet. I've never hated watching a side more than them. Every player back defending, no license to go forward. They've a decent squad.

He'll be back, he always comes back. It ain't pretty but if your teams in trouble at the wrong end of the table in the second half of the season he's your man to come in and tighten things up and get them to safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

He'll be back, he always comes back. It ain't pretty but if your teams in trouble at the wrong end of the table in the second half of the season he's your man to come in and tighten things up and get them to safety.

100%, they'll always be a club waiting in the wings for a Pulis.

He's left that job at West Brom for someone else to do this time. :D
    God him and Sunderland are a match made in heaven if they were still around the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

West Ham are probably raging they didn't wait a week or 2 and get Pulis instead of Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    Pulis for the Welsh job?

Hes not far off 60 and as we seen with MON, international football is a good meal ticket for the one dimensional dinosaurs of the footballing world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Everton still need a manager.

Coleman must be bucking he chose Sunderland. He coulda got the West Brom gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

West Ham fans have been told to stop dialling 999 when they lose.
    Really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Liverpool
    Y'all crackers are missing a cracker between BHA and the potters, nil all 15 minutes in, expect the expected.

Liverpool
    That's a peno ref...

Liverpool
    Deserved equaliser for Hughton's men.

Liverpool
    Stoke retake the lead just before half time, decent game.

Liverpool
    All's square in love and war, 2-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Is it just me or does it already feel like everyone else is already playing to be the best of the rest? doesn't not feel like there will be a title race. Of course there could be, not saying there couldn't just feels like it's Man City's season already

I said earlier that city will win this pl by over 15 PTS,nobody will challenge them this year

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    West Ham are probably raging they didn't wait a week or 2 and get Pulis instead of Moyes.

Pulis isn't, I suspect. Perfect for the Wales job given his age and pedigree. I think he'd do well with them and he'd enjoy the role.
    retalivity wrote: »
    West Ham fans have been told to stop dialling 999 when they lose.
    Really.

Absolutely ridiculous stuff. Someone with a genuine emergency might be blocked from getting through. Said it yesterday, they are in big trouble. Those fans are ready to pounce on Moyes. He needs to turn things around there asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    West Hams next 6 games are seriously tough too.

Leicester (h)
    Everton (a)
    City (a)
    Chelsea (h)
    Arsenal (h)
    Stoke (a)

It looks like it could get much worse before its going to get better.

• Advertisement

• Everton
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    West Hams next 6 games are seriously tough too.

Leicester (h)
    Everton (a)
    City (a)
    Chelsea (h)
    Arsenal (h)
    Stoke (a)

It looks like it could get much worse before its going to get better.turn disastrous

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Looking at the number of shots on goal the top 6 have faced.
    Arsenal 44
    Utd 43
    Chelsea 40
    Liverpool 38
    Spurs 34
    City 23
    Goals conceded
    Liverpool 17
    Arsenal 16
    Chelsea 10
    Spurs 9
    City 7
    Utd 6
    % of shots that end up as goals conceded
    Liverpool 44%
    Arsenal 36%
    City 30%
    Spurs 26%
    Chelsea 25%
    Utd 14%

Obviously this doesn't factor in the types of shots a keeper is facing or the type of chance a team is giving up . However it would say to me to value of having a good goalkeeper. That 14% stat for utd is exceptional. Citys opponents are finding it very hard to threaten their goal and close to half the shots against Liverpool end up in a goal. I think football in general undervalues the importance of a top class goalkeeper and what it can bring to a team.

• Everton
    It's a bit of a muddled stat though. You could also argue it forces opponents to shoot from long range.
    I assume these are just any type of shot at goal, even it goes near the corner flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It's a bit of a muddled stat though. You could also argue it forces opponents to shoot from long range.
    I assume these are just any type of shot at goal, even it goes near the corner flag.

Pretty sure Shots on goal means Shots ontarget inthis case

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    M!Ck^ wrote: »

Its shots on target only . But yes as I said some teams will give up different types of chances to others due to the style of play. For me however its no coincidence the two worst keepers of the top 6 mignolet and cech have the worst save %. And now that city actually have a keeper that can make a save they are conceding a lot less goals than last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Oumar Niasse: Everton striker charged for dive against Crystal Palace
    Everton striker Oumar Niasse has become the first Premier League player to be charged by the Football Association for "successful deception of a match official".

The Senegal international won a controversial penalty, after minimal contact from Scott Dann, in Saturday's 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace, with Leighton Baines scoring the penalty.

Niasse went on to score the equaliser at Selhurst Park.

He has until 18:00 GMT to respond.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42066734

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Arsenal
    Poor Niasse, soft indeed as it was, it wasn't the first soft penalty decision this season. There has been worse. I hope they appeal it and kick up a stink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Liverpool
    Doesn't help Palace in the slightest, in fact it might make life harder on them as Everton are now going to be a weakened side for their game against West Ham, who Palace could do with dropping points.

Oumar Niasse: Everton striker charged for dive against Crystal Palace

I've seen dives that were far worse this season. Alli had a few, as did Sterling. Get the impression that the powers that be are focusing in on this because Everton are not one of the top six clubs.

Liverpool
    I've seen dives that were far worse this season. Alli had a few, as did Sterling. Get the impression that the powers that be are focusing in on this because Everton are not one of the top six clubs.

Did they get penalties or sending offs from the dives you are thinking of? I thought that the rule was brought in only if there is either of those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool
    astradave wrote: »
    Did they get penalties or sending offs from the dives you are thinking of? I thought that the rule was brought in only if there is either of those

Alli got booked from what I recall. I think Sterling got a penalty? Not sure tho.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    Alli got booked from what I recall. I think Sterling got a penalty? Not sure tho.

Alli getting booked means it was already dealt with and it didn’t lead to either of those so it wouldn’t fall under the guidelines.. not sure I recall the Sterling incident so can’t comment one that one

Liverpool
    Bit of action tonight, hammers host foxes, Moyes will gawk on in bemusement as leicester win 3-1.

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Bit of action tonight, hammers host foxes, Moyes will gawk on in bemusement as leicester win 3-1.

He'll be running for cover if Leicester win.

Liverpool
    He'll be running for cover if Leicester win.

Such an awful appointment.

Liverpool
    Nice, foxes take the lead, Moyes glued to his seat.

Awful stuff as expected but Ogbonna looked like he slipped on ice

Why is there a multi-colour line above the score on Sky? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Why is there a multi-colour line above the score on Sky? :confused:

It's part of the Rainbow Laces campaign to show support for LGBT rights. The microphones are multi-coloured too.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/934110254438154241

Liverpool
    Bubbles coming out of Moyes' ears, hammers equalise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Bubbles coming out of Moyes' ears, hammers equalise.

Is it worth turning on the Streaming box?

• Advertisement
Advertisement