Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Seeing Everton fans moaning over a manager who will most likely drag them out of the mire is strange. Unsworth wont keep them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Seeing Everton fans moaning over a manager who will most likely drag them out of the mire is strange. Unsworth wont keep them up.

He is a step backwards though, a team like everton should be aiming higher. Big Sam is panic signing, he is not a long tern solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

niallo27 wrote: »
    He is a step backwards though, a team like everton should be aiming higher. Big Sam is panic signing, he is not a long tern solution.

They don't need a project manager they need rescuing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    They don't need a project manager they need rescuing!

They will come good, lot of quality in that squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They will come good, lot of quality in that squad.

Unsworth sure as sh*t cant find it and is trying to kill it off. Sam WILL keep them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

tastyt wrote: »
    Ya stones has become very important. It will be interesting to see how they get on against a team that can match their possession and are made concentrate and defend for sustained periods
    I'm presuming that you musty be on about some of the European megaclubs, yes? I don't think anyone in the PL can match us for possession; we're routinely clocking up 70%+ in possession figures. Possession is everything in Pep's eyes. If you have the ball, it's hard for the opposition to score (unless we stick it in our own net, obviously!). I think the CL gets serious in february and, as I said earlier, we will hopefully have Stones back for then. Unfortunately, we're unlikely to see Mendy before April, which was a serious blow for us. He combined so well down the left flank with Leroy. But fair do's to Delph; he has slotted in very well at LB, though he obviously doesn't offer the same attacking threat that Mendy does.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Unsworth sure as sh*t cant find it and is trying to kill it off. Sam WILL keep them up.

I don't even think it's Unsworth's fault. The rot sets in and players won't pick themselves up for a caretaker. Big Sam is a stop gap at most. They will prob get Silva at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So looks like Pardew and Allardyce will be taking up the two current managerial vacancies. If Pulis steps into Clement's shoes at Swansea the universe will be back in harmony.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If West Brom do hire Pardew, I hope it's only until the end of next season, and they have a replacement lined up well in advance.

He's great for one and a half seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Watched them yesterday and they can't afford to gamble at this stage. They are a mess. Get Sam in on a two or three year deal. He'll settle the ship, guide them to safety and Everton can get Silva at the end of the season when Watford sack him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Think it was Rory Smith that said it wasn't foreign managers stopping young British managers getting a top jobs but it was Pardew, Allardyce, Pulis, Hughes, Bruce, Moyes managerial merry go round that was stopping them

He has a very valid point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Allardyce is very capable of being a long term solution imo. For financial reasons he’s taken a lot of short term rescue jobs at clubs that haven’t really committed to him for the long term. In fairness he has jumped ship most of the time but that was usually due to a better offer or I’d guess a sense of not being wanted.

If Everton gave him a long contract and the fans got behind him he could and probably would build a competitive side there.

But I think he was right to declare himself out of the running that time because the club obviously has some concerns about committing to him and the fans are a bit precious.

Berserker wrote: »
    Get Sam in on a two or three year deal. He'll settle the ship, guide them to safety and Everton can get Silva at the end of the season when Watford sack him.

I reckon Sam will draw up a lengthy January window shopping list to test the club's commitment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Liverpool
    What match is on TV tonight?

Nice to have midweek Premier League.

EDIT: Just seen it's the United match on BT

callaway92 wrote: »
    What match is on TV tonight?

Nice to have midweek Premier League.

EDIT: Just seen it's the United match on BT

Everton West Ham tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Big night for Newcastle later who are in freefall. Said a while back that they look the worst of the promoted sides. Rafa is the biggest negative variable there, he's been pretty poor more often than not in top flight leagues since Valencia success a long time ago. Don't think he has the fight or hunger in him for a relegation battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Big night for Newcastle later who are in freefall. Said a while back that they look the worst of the promoted sides. Rafa is the biggest negative variable there, he's been pretty poor more often than not in top flight leagues since Valencia success a long time ago. Don't think he has the fight or hunger in him for a relegation battle.

Ha! Rafa is literally the single positive aspect of Newcastle right now. They had zero investment in what was a good championship squad but a poor premier league squad.

As for the "he's been pretty poor more often than not in top flight leagues since Valencia success a long time ago", well, you're clearly just taking the piss there. Genuinely idiotic comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Rekop dog wrote:

Need to find a new owner by January. Stopped keeping clean sheets & a lack of goals is an awful mix to have. They miss Merino when he's not in the side too. He's the only shred of class in their midfield.

Spurs
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ha! Rafa is literally the single positive aspect of Newcastle right now. They had zero investment in what was a good championship squad but a poor premier league squad.

As for the "he's been pretty poor more often than not in top flight leagues since Valencia success a long time ago", well, you're clearly just taking the piss there. Genuinely idiotic comment.

Trust a biased Liverpool fan to jump to his defense. Cup glories have masked by and large poor league form since Valencia, the occasion good season but mainly under par. His two efforts in Italy were horrible, both sides declined badly under him. Chelsea's league form was poor. He didn't have the character for the Madrid job and was pretty unpopular with players and fans alike.

And they spent more than a handful of league clubs including Brighton who they really should be outperforming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Liverpool
    Big night for spurs, I think they will just about prevail, 3-2 with a sending off apiece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

His two efforts in Italy were horrible, both sides declined badly under him. Chelsea's league form was poor.

Not true for Napoli, their current team was built on his buys and on the back of selling Higuain who he got for pittance at €35m they improved their squad so he hardly declined under him.
    They didn't do much in Europe when he was there and haven't since which is a mystery to me :confused:
    Inter most of those players were finished when he came in; can't remember any of them hitting heights again indeed some went much lower than that season.

Liverpool
    Oh Vardy you beauty!!!

Trust a biased Liverpool fan to jump to his defense. Cup glories have masked by and large poor league form since Valencia, the occasion good season but mainly under par. His two efforts in Italy were horrible, both sides declined badly under him. Chelsea's league form was poor. He didn't have the character for the Madrid job and was pretty unpopular with players and fans alike.

And they spent more than a handful of league clubs including Brighton who they really should be outperforming.

I can totally understand why some people don't rate Rafa as highly as I do, but to simply write him off as being bad in the league is silly. And you can't ignore his European runs, when his success there is what adds 10+ extra games to a season, making it harder to compete in the league. Those two things go hand in hand, and is more obvious than ever right now when you look at the performances of teams in and out of Europe.

Whether or not you want to argue about him being an elite manager is one thing, but to condemn him like that is silly. I daresay Newcastle fans would much rather keep Rafa and get new owners.

As for spending - Brighton spent quite a bit more, and that's not even counting that Newcastle had to sell the buy. Including net puts them even further apart, with Brighton at 43 million, and Newcastle at 20 million. Newcastle's net spend, and gross spend, was lowest of the promoted sides.
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/sommertransfers/wettbewerb/GB1/saison_id/2017

Spurs
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Not true for Napoli, their current team was built on his buys and on the back of selling Higuain who he got for pittance at €35m they improved their squad so he hardly declined under him.
    They didn't do much in Europe when he was there and haven't since which is a mystery to me :confused:
    Inter most of those players were finished when he came in; can't remember any of them hitting heights again indeed some went much lower than that season.

Napoli were 2nd and challenging for titles before he arrived and he left them 5th outside the champions league despite spending unparalleled money by serie A standards at the time.

Perhaps came to inter in Jose's shadow but they were reigning Italian and European champions when he took over. You don't decline that much over a season, they were miles adrift in 6th when he was given the bullet.

Liverpool
    Rose can't cross.

Liverpool
    Spurs in trouble, Mahrez with a stunner.

Problems mounting for Spurs. Predicted that they wouldn't get top four this season and it looks like a good call at the moment.

These 'new manager bounces' Leicester get are ludicrous... really doesn't say much for the mentality of their squad if they simply stop playing for their managers.

In fairness though, Puel does look a good fit for them, in terms of style.

Spurs
    Newcastle continue to fall. Still to play three of the top four in December so position probably worse that it seems currently.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    HA HA Eriksen!

Liverpool
    Afroman coming on for leicester.

Spurs
    Kasper punches way too often when the easy catch is on.

Liverpool
    Well done leicester, immense tonight, spurs below average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The power shift continues

Claude Puel doing a good job with Leicester so far. Interesting to see if this is the new manager bounce. Decent point for Palace tonight too. They have West Brom, Bournemouth and Swansea coming up before Christmas, which could get them out of the relegation zone.

• Advertisement

Newcastle continue to fall. Still to play three of the top four in December so position probably worse that it seems currently.

Nearly jinxed WBA with that one - Newcastle promptly scoring 2 afterwards :p

Time for the Lads Its Spurs meme? Probably not in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Time for the Lads Its Spurs meme? Probably not in fact.

Poch likely to be under pressure soon enough, could be 16 points off the top after tonight and it's only November. Surely that's the end of their title hopes.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Poch likely to be under pressure soon enough, could be 16 points off the top after tonight and it's only November. Surely that's the end of their title hopes.

Spurs away record to any decent team is piss poor although I reckon everyone outside of Utd are out of the title race as it stands, City will drop points and stop winning at some stage but it looks like only Utd will keep them honest. For everyone else, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Pool, its about finishing in the top 4 right now.

The Utd v City game coming up is a big game, if City keep winning they can beat the most wins in a row record at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    So Pardew has become WBA manager.

What is the ****ing point?

Why do these charlatans keep getting jobs in English football?

It's not even just about the British managers all being ****e. I don't think they are.
    The issue I have is that there's this boy's club of mediocrity that have tag-teamed probably all of that level of club at this point when there surely must be fresh blood to be found elsewhere in Britain.

What's the end game? What's the strategy? What do they think Pardew will do at WBA that he couldn't at Palace, West Ham or Newcastle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Arsenal
    Palace fans causing trouble again

Source: https://www.google.ie/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/42164648

SSN say: Fans rushed the turnstiles, flash bangs, smoke bombs, attacking stewards, opening emergency exits, fans with tickets not able to get in because of over crowding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Man Utd
    I do hope that whatever club decides to hire Pardew as manager is rewarded with relegation.

ETA: WBA it is then.

Liverpool
    Gbear wrote: »
    So Pardew has become WBA manager.

What is the ****ing point?

Why do these charlatans keep getting jobs in English football?

It's not even just about the British managers all being ****e. I don't think they are.
    The issue I have is that there's this boy's club of mediocrity that have tag-teamed probably all of that level of club at this point when there surely must be fresh blood to be found elsewhere in Britain.

What's the end game? What's the strategy? What do they think Pardew will do at WBA that he couldn't at Palace, West Ham or Newcastle?

I think the hire these managers to fight off relegation and stay in the league, PL = money, so if they can take the inital outlay and factor in the compensation for sacking him in 18 months, its worth it.

At least Hull tried something different with Marco Silva and he nearly kept them up, had he been there all season, I've no doubt they would have stayed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Everton
    Tyson Fury wrote: »

He'll be under big pressure if they miss out on the Champions League next season. Less money to invest in the squad and the likes of Eriksen and Kane won't be short of interest from the top clubs around Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Spurs away record to any decent team is piss poor although I reckon everyone outside of Utd are out of the title race as it stands, City will drop points and stop winning at some stage but it looks like only Utd will keep them honest. For everyone else, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Pool, its about finishing in the top 4 right now.

The Utd v City game coming up is a big game, if City keep winning they can beat the most wins in a row record at Old Trafford.

Honestly I'd go as far as to say it's as good as over already and if United don't win against them in the game in a fortnite it will be confirmed for me. United 8 back, Chelsea 11 back. This isn't Newcastle of the 90s with a flame pretty clueless manager we're chasing unfortunately.

Liverpool
    Jayop wrote: »
    Honestly I'd go as far as to say it's as good as over already and if United don't win against them in the game in a fortnite it will be confirmed for me. United 8 back, Chelsea 11 back. This isn't Newcastle of the 90s with a flame pretty clueless manager we're chasing unfortunately.

I'd agree, sadly. At this point, it looks like Citys only competition will be from themselves.

They will drop points over the coming games over Xmas and arguably should have in the last two games, Kompany not being sent off against Leicester was a joke and despite all their possesion, it took a very look rebound off Sterling from 6 yards to beat Huddersfield.

But saying that, theyve started on fire, had they had a normal start like the other top 6 teams, we would have been in for one hell of a season with everyone being within a game or two of the top.

Is it safe to say that it's not going to be Liverpool's year at this point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Arsenal

106a8t0.png

I don't know...

DPlE3TbWsAcDXsT.jpg

So then Pardew, Moyes and Allardyce all back in a job.

The universal forces that control football cannot be defied!

• Advertisement
Advertisement