Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    So then Pardew, Moyes and Allardyce all back in a job.

The universal forces that control football cannot be defied!

Why are you lumping them together just because their British? There's not a whole lot of similarities beyond that.

Sam left nearly every club he joined in a far better league position than when he took over. Doesn't deserve to be mentioned in same category as managers who've failed a lot recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Speaks of a deeply risk averse culture, the parade of familiar faces. Big Sam is going to get a massive salary apparently.

Spurs
    I know I'm the chairman of the Sam club and all but I really don't think he's ever fully go the the credit for what he's done in management.

At Notts County he won the third division by a record point margin.

At Bolton in his first season he took over from a side in the bottom half of the championship and took them to the playoffs where they lost. The following season they finished 3rd and were promoted via playoffs. Also missed out on an FA CUP final with them that season losing the Semi final in penalty shootout. In the premier league they had a few seasons of consolidation before four top 8 finishes in a row. He resigned before the end of 2007 season when they were in 5th place. They slowly faded back to obscurity after he left.

Bolton record:

Championship 1999-2000 15th- 6th
    2000- 20011 - 3rd(promoted)

Premier League:
    2001-2002 -16th
    2002-2003 - 17th
    2003;2004 - 8th
    2004-2005 - 6th(europe)
    2005-2006 - 8th
    2006-2007 -5th upon leaving

Bolton after sam 16th, 13th,14th,14th,18th relegation and faded badly thereafter.

At Newcastle they finished 13th the season before he arrived. He was given little to no money to spend and was sitting 11th in the table when fired in January after seven months. They finished 12th that season and were relegated the following season. This is seen as the low point of his career but given budgetary constraints and fact they finished worse the season before and after he was there it's fairly acceptable.

At Blackburn he tookover with them sitting in 19th place at Christmas. He lifted them from almost inevitable relegation to a very safe 15th place in six months. Next season despite forced sales to balance books he took them to 10th. He was fired by the Venky's the next season when lieing in 13th. They were relegated the following season.

Premier League
    Jan 2009 19th- 15th
    2009-2010 10th
    2010-11 13th when sacked

Blackburn after Sam 19th(relegated) 17th in championship following season.

At West Ham he took over a side that finished 20th and 17th in the championship the two seasons before. Despite this he managed to guide them to third in the league in his first season and they were promoted via playoffs. A remarkable improvement in one year. In their first season back in the Prem he brought them to 10th in the league. They had two more seasons of solid mid table finishes. His stamp on that side seems to have left them now as they struggle in relegation zone.

He took over a hopeless Sunderland side after they only had 3 points from their first eight matches and somehow dragged them to safety come the end of the season. They finished rock bottom the season after and are struggling in the championship now proving how much he had over achieved with them

At Palace he took over when they were flirting with relegation and completely looking low on confidence. Went on a second half of the season run of beat Arsenal Liverpool champions Chelsea in the space of a month and they finished completely safe in 14th. They're rock bottom this season without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I know I'm the chairman of the Sam club and all but I really don't think he's ever fully go the the credit for what he's done in management.

At Notts County he won the third division by a record point margin.

At Bolton in his first season he took over from a side in the bottom half of the championship and took them to the playoffs where they lost. The following season they finished 3rd and were promoted via playoffs. Also missed out on an FA CUP final with them that season losing the Semi final in penalty shootout. In the premier league they had a few seasons of consolidation before four top 8 finishes in a row. He resigned before the end of 2007 season when they were in 5th place. They slowly faded back to obscurity after he left.

Bolton record:

Championship 1999-2000 15th- 6th
    2000- 20011 - 3rd(promoted)

Premier League:
    2001-2002 -16th
    2002-2003 - 17th
    2003;2004 - 8th
    2004-2005 - 6th(europe)
    2005-2006 - 8th
    2006-2007 -5th upon leaving

Bolton after sam 16th, 13th,14th,14th,18th relegation and faded badly thereafter.

At Newcastle they finished 13th the season before he arrived. He was given little to no money to spend and was sitting 11th in the table when fired in January after seven months. They finished 12th that season and were relegated the following season. This is seen as the low point of his career but given budgetary constraints and fact they finished worse the season before and after he was there it's fairly acceptable.

At Blackburn he tookover with them sitting in 19th place at Christmas. He lifted them from almost inevitable relegation to a very safe 15th place in six months. Next season despite forced sales to balance books he took them to 10th. He was fired by the Venky's the next season when lieing in 13th. They were relegated the following season.

Premier League
    Jan 2009 19th- 15th
    2009-2010 10th
    2010-11 13th when sacked

Blackburn after Sam 19th(relegated) 17th in championship following season.

At West Ham he took over a side that finished 20th and 17th in the championship the two seasons before. Despite this he managed to guide them to third in the league in his first season and they were promoted via playoffs. A remarkable improvement in one year. In their first season back in the Prem he brought them to 10th in the league. They had two more seasons of solid mid table finishes. His stamp on that side seems to have left them now as they struggle in relegation zone.

He took over a hopeless Sunderland side after they only had 3 points from their first eight matches and somehow dragged them to safety come the end of the season. They finished rock bottom the season after and are struggling in the championship now proving how much he had over achieved with them

At Palace he took over when they were flirting with relegation and completely looking low on confidence. Went on a second half of the season run of beat Arsenal Liverpool champions Chelsea in the space of a month and they finished completely safe in 14th. They're rock bottom this season without him.

I've a soft spot for Sam since his bloody briliant Okocha/Djorkaeff/Giannakopoulos/Campo/Nolan early/mid 2000's team... the timing of things just didn't quite work out for him I think. Had things been just a little different, I think he'd have landed the Spurs job. One more year at Bolton and I think they'd have moved for him instead of Harry Redknapp when they fired Ramos - or even hired him instead of Ramos. Spurs was probably the biggest potential job on offer at the time outside the nailed on "top 4", who all had very established managers when Sam's stock was at its highest.

The Newcastle job ended up doing a lot of damage to his brand I think, probably a lot more than is fair. It seemed to knock him from the 2nd tier of clubs, the ones pushing to break into the top 4 at the time, to the 3rd tier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

^^ great post Rekop dog. Keeping Palace up last season was one of the great managerial achievements imo. They were a complete shambles at the time. But it's possible his methods will only work with a certain level of (mid-table) player; the top talents may not be so amenable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    Fairly sure Rooney did exact same thing v Hart a few years ago with rebound header

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    Berserker wrote: »
    Is it safe to say that it's not going to be Liverpool's year at this point?

Hang on hang on. 1 nil up city only drawing. Darkhorses and all that.

Spurs
    Southampton spurning some really easy opportunities. Both centre halves had relative tap ins they should have scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Southampton spurning some really easy opportunities. Both centre halves had relative tap ins they should have scored.
    We've been very off the pace so far this evening. The game is crying out for Spanish Dave to come on, possibly as a replacement for Gundogan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Moyes to be sacked by Christmas and replaced by Pulis!

Get in! Our turn to benefit from an OG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

van Dijk has taken another easy chance that came his way :D

marvin80 wrote: »
    van Dijk has taken another easy chance that came his way :D
    Talk on twitter (yes, I know!) that it may end up being given to Kev. His free kick was "on target" before Van Dijk deflected it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Take a bow Wayne Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Ronney gifted an Alonso/Beckham by Hart but fair fcuks he took it well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Take a bow Wayne Rooney
    Decent strike from the lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Hammers must hate Rooney.
    It's the second time he's scored from the half way line against them

Poor goal for us to concede. To be fair though, Saints probably deserve a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Arsenal
    Salah for pfa player of the year !

Everton
    Time for a liverpool match thread

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

wow

:pac::pac::pac:

Aguerrooooo

Everton
    I.want.to.kill.Sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Brilliant goal from sterling.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    City confirming why they'll be run away champions and the rest are playing for 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Arsenal
    Sterling has been immense this season

I’m coining a phrase: ‘Guardi time’:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    Just saw the results. Sterling ffs. :(

I’m coining a phrase: ‘Guardi time’:P

Pepball is dead..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The Scottish title race is tighter than Premier League at the minute. :D

Liverpool
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd agree, sadly. At this point, it looks like Citys only competition will be from themselves.

They will drop points over the coming games over Xmas and arguably should have in the last two games, Kompany not being sent off against Leicester was a joke and despite all their possesion, it took a very look rebound off Sterling from 6 yards to beat Huddersfield.

But saying that, theyve started on fire, had they had a normal start like the other top 6 teams, we would have been in for one hell of a season with everyone being within a game or two of the top.

Make that the last 3 games now City have been lucky to win, I suppose on the other hand, its the stuff champions are made of it isnt it, winning late on?

Make that the last 3 games now City have been lucky to win, I suppose on the other hand, its the stuff champions are made of it isnt it, winning late on?
    The media were saying that we'd possibly struggle in the winter months. Well; we're certainly not flying like we were in sept/oct, but I'll take it.

Everton
    West Ham have City Chelsea and Arsenal next 3 league games. Most likely 3 defeats there. Big pressure already on Moyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    Touch line ban for Pep surely for that carry on. He's had a shocker there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Burnley march on. 14 pts from their 7 away games they only got 7 pts away all last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Jayop wrote: »
    Touch line ban for Pep surely for that carry on. He's had a shocker there.

Just watched it. He lost the plot big time there.

God that Liverpool third kit is 299.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Liverpool

Lucky? Why does the timing of the goal matter to make it lucky? If the goal was scored in the 66th minute, you wouldn't call it luck. That fact is, we had 12 shots on target and converted 2 of them. There is no luck in that, the fact that the Southampton's goalkeeper was man of the match says it all really.

They only had 2 shots on target!! If anything, they were lucky the scoreline was so tight.

• Advertisement

Everton
    Ah come on. A poxy deflected late goal and a 96th minute winner both have an element of luck about them. I know City fans are incredibly precious about any perceived slight but that's just a fact. Also there was a fair bit of luck in the Leicester game with Kompany not getting a red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Liverpool
    Ah come on. A poxy deflected late goal and a 96th minute winner both have an element of luck about them. I know City fans are incredibly precious about any perceived slight but that's just a fact. Also there was a fair bit of luck in the Leicester game with Kompany not getting a red card.

Might be slightly lucky, but you cant say it was undeserved? The way the other poster was going on was implying that city are only where they are due to luck alone, which is insulting really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

LOL just like Ashley youngs poxy goal against Brighton last weekend eh? And don't they say it's a minimum of 5 minutes added time to be played?
    Having a good giggle at United fans this morning on social media and among my friends, the irony is hilarious.

Everton
    klose wrote: »
    LOL just like Ashley youngs poxy goal against Brighton last weekend eh? And don't they say it's a minimum of 5 minutes added time to be played?
    Having a good giggle at United fans this morning on social media and among my friends, the irony is hilarious.

Did someone say youngs goal wasnt lucky or are you going all strawman today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Did someone say youngs goal wasnt lucky or are you going all strawman today

Nope nobody did, pointing out that any team that goes on to win titles needs a share of luck as much as anything else and last night city got just that.

Everton
    Might be slightly lucky, but you cant say it was undeserved? The way the other poster was going on was implying that city are only where they are due to luck alone, which is insulting really.

Ah cop on. You boys are absolutely the most precious people on here. You've been getting universal plaudits from everyone all season. Just accept you've had a bit of luck the last three games and get over it.

And yeah Youngs goal was a bit lucky, pretty much universally accepted as such without United fans getting butt hurt at the suggestion.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    Lucky? Why does the timing of the goal matter to make it lucky? If the goal was scored in the 66th minute, you wouldn't call it luck. That fact is, we had 12 shots on target and converted 2 of them. There is no luck in that, the fact that the Southampton's goalkeeper was man of the match says it all really.

They only had 2 shots on target!! If anything, they were lucky the scoreline was so tight.

I never said underserved FFS :rolleyes:

I said lucky, City were lucky that Kompany didnt get sent off after 3 mins of the Leicester game, when he should have.

They were lucky to beat Huddersfield with a deflected goal and a 96th minute winner last night, while I agree it was deserved, is a very lucky outcome.

Theres nobody saying City dont deserve to be romping away with the league, the start they made is outstanding and they'll likely set new records this year, however, the last 3 results, they have had a bit of good fortune.

Nights like last night is when you think, thats the result of champions and its not bitter, I've come to terms with Chelsea not defending the title, its about finishing 2nd - 4th for us now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Never seen a team win a league on luck. If City do win the league it won't be down to any luck. So far they are well ahead of the rest who will mess up again regardless of City's form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Liverpool
    Just looking at West Ham's next fixtures and I think the 8-1 that's on offer for David Moyes to be the next manager sacked is a great price. They play City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Stoke away, Arsenal again and then Newcastle all before Christmas and I honestly think they'll lose all six games and the board will panic.

Everton
    klose wrote: »
    Nope nobody did, pointing out that any team that goes on to win titles needs a share of luck as much as anything else and last night city got just that.

Again no one said they didn't it was merely pointed out they had some luck there last two games. Which is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Again no one said they didn't it was merely pointed out they had some luck there last two games. Which is true.

As did United with the Young goal, as did Liverpool last night (Ming could have had a red).

All teams get a bit of luck but usually a few calls will go against you as well. Just as fans we usually remember the ones we didn't get rather than the ones we do!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement