Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

shamrock55 wrote: »
    It's officially the dullest premier league title race ever,infact there isn't even a title race,how are sky gonna big this up

Tune in for the race for fourth, will Arsenal avoid the Europa League next season?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Americanise it.

City will win bigly...but just HOW bigly...

Cromulently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    shamrock55 wrote: »
    It's officially the dullest premier league title race ever,infact there isn't even a title race,how are sky gonna big this up

2nd to 4th is still up for grabs, 5 teams for 3 places. No trophy but it looks like ots where the main drama will be.

City would need to lose about 5 games in a very short period of time to be brought back into the chasing pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Sky, BT, International Broadcasters and the Premier League themselves will be absolutely sickened with today's result - The Premier League season is basically over in terms of real excitement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

GavRedKing wrote: »
    2nd to 4th is still up for grabs, 5 teams for 3 places. No trophy but it looks like ots where the main drama will be.

City would need to lose about 5 games in a very short period of time to be brought back into the chasing pack.

As a neutral, I kind of want someone to kidnap Stones, Fernandinho and Silva. Can't Chelsea find something in their contracts somewhere that De Bruyne violated and have him banned or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Mourinho claiming Herrera dive was a penalty. None of these managers criticism of referees has any credibility if they refuse to acknowledge blatant cheating by their own players.

• Everton
    Klopp had a little meltdown I see

https://youtu.be/05JXqx7piNQ

Shearer ripped into him on MOTD2 for his manner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    How are people arguing Evertons penalty, it was as clear as day. He pushed hm over :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

irishman86 wrote: »
    How are people arguing Evertons penalty, it was as clear as day. He pushed hm over :confused:

Hard to understand really. Liverpool should blame Klopp for his selection and the team for their woeful finishing yesterday. Klopp's starting XI suggests that he underestimated Everton. He could have fielded a full strength XI yesterday and fielded a weakened side against West Brom midweek and they would have won that game with plenty to spare. Also, Liverpool had 23 shots on goal yesterday and three of them were on target. For all their dominance Pickford didn't have a whole lot to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    Berserker wrote: »
    Hard to understand really. Liverpool should blame Klopp for his selection and the team for their woeful finishing yesterday. Klopp's starting XI suggests that he underestimated Everton. He could have fielded a full strength XI yesterday and fielded a weakened side against West Brom midweek and they would have won that game with plenty to spare. Also, Liverpool had 23 shots on goal yesterday and three of them were on target. For all their dominance Pickford didn't have a whole lot to do.

We also missed pretty much an open goal.

Having 57 shots might be necessary if you're conceding a dozen chances of your own, but I think Everton literally had no chances.

There was nothing wrong with the performance. It was utterly dominant and had more than enough chances to win, as evidenced by the fact that their only chance was handed to them by the ref and we score a goal.

It absolutely wasn't even remotely a penalty. It doesn't require knowing anything about football to realise that. A cursory knowledge of human anatomy and the basic mechanics of how humans move is sufficient.

CL ran into Lovren and fell over. His arm was there because that's what you do when someone runs into you. Otherwise you fall over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Easiest game of the season for pickford. Definite penalty and I'm surprised no one has mentioned Salah's push on Martina for his goal.

Gbear wrote: »
    Having 57 shots might be necessary if you're conceding a dozen chances of your own, but I think Everton literally had no chances.

Everton had three shots on goal, two of which were on target. Mignolet had one save less to make than Pickford.
    It absolutely wasn't even remotely a penalty. It doesn't require knowing anything about football to realise that. A cursory knowledge of human anatomy and the basic mechanics of how humans move is sufficient.

It was a penalty. It was a very poor defensive error and CL did not run into the defender, the defender pushed CL. Also, if you are familiar with human mechanics then I'm sure that you are aware of how easy it is to lose your balance when you are running at full pelt. The slightest nudge will send you tumbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭spoonerhead

Liverpool did what they have done a lot under Klopp, blow the chance to make up on other teams results. Definitely a penalty, I said it in real time. Lovren has been a liability since day one! The lack of ‘ruthlessness’ in Liverpool keeping average players for years costs them. Mignolet, Lovren, Henderson etc have had an unbelievable amount of time and never improved. No other big club (exception maybe Arsenal) would allow that. So close yet so far...

Liverpool
    Everton had three shots on goal, two of which were on target. Mignolet had one save less to make than Pickford.

Any chance that doesn't result in a shot on goal isn't recorded.
    Mane's chance, for example, or any cross that isn't met.
    Liverpool had plenty of chances.

One of those chances Everton had was a penalty they didn't earn and another, I believe, was a speculative effort from outside the box from Sigurdsson.

It was a penalty. It was a very poor defensive error and CL did not run into the defender, the defender pushed CL. Also, if you are familiar with human mechanics then I'm sure that you are aware of how easy it is to lose your balance when you are running at full pelt. The slightest nudge will send you tumbling.

Perhaps you haven't actually seen it?

I probably can't link to it for copyright reasons but there's a video of multiple angles in slow motion on the Liverpool reddit.

Calvert Lewin steps into Lovren, away from the ball, Lovren has his arms up because that's what you do if someone runs into you, he very obviously doesn't push him at all, and Calvert Lewin dives to the floor or if you're being incredibly generous, he loses his balance after running into Lovren, although given that he immediately looked for the penalty I'm not inclined to be generous.

Even Phil bloody Neville realised it was a dive.

As for it being an error on Lovren's part, nope. You can't just leave a forward to his own devices in your box. You need to put pressure on them and he wouldn't have made any contact if CL didn't initiate it himself.

Lovren was excellent yesterday. Everton weren't great but a large part of their failure to threaten was down to how well the whole back 4, Milner and Henderson pressed and won second balls.
    It must be particularly galling for them to have the usual criticisms of them trotted out when they didn't actually deserve them this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Arsenal
    Just watched Klopp's post match interview and I thought he was going to start crying. Sad to see a grown man near tears arguing as clear cut a penalty as your likely to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

CL ran into Lovren and fell over.
    :rolleyes:

Yeah he ran into the palm of Lovren's hand with his back.

lovren-calvert-lewin-300x152.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Penalty seems like a bit of a grey area to me. Anyone saying it *definitely* was or wasn't are being too strong in their opinion. Most of those arent given, and plenty of minimal contact fouls that would always be a free kick outside the box are rarely given inside, whether right or wrong that's the truth.

By the standards of what we're used to on what it takes to be given a pen it was soft.

But Salah did something similar for his goal and got away with it so swings and roundabouts innit.

Spurs
    Good understated dive from Calvin Lewis though.

Damien Duff used to be the master at that sort of thing, steal a march on a defender and then sort of throw himself back into the contact and then naturally fall to the ground, he made a career out of it. It's always looks convincing from a referees angle.

Perhaps you haven't actually seen it?

I have and for the nth time, it was a penalty. Did you not see Lovren's hand in CL's back?
    Everton weren't great but a large part of their failure to threaten was down to how well the whole back 4, Milner and Henderson pressed and won second balls.

Everton didn't fail yesterday. They are in the business of getting enough points to guarantee safety and they'll start preparing for next season at that point. Everton set out to play as a compact unit, two banks of four, keeping men behind the ball, frustrating Liverpool. If they pushed up, you would have ripped them to pieces on the counter, just like you did against Brighton. Take a look at that game again and note how many of your goals were on the break.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    :rolleyes:

Yeah he ran into the palm of Lovren's hand with his back.

lovren-calvert-lewin-300x152.jpg

I'm not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse or what but that's an image and not a video and it's after CL already ran into him.

You can see, about half a second before that image when you watch the video, that CL leans into Lovren with his shoulder into Lovren's chest and Lovren has his hands out to brace against it.
    He literally could not have done anything to prevent it other than just not defend.

I'm fairly certain there is no law about not touching players with your arms.

There is, however, a law against obstruction, and given that he moved away from the ball into Lovren, Lovren has far more of a claim for a free kick to be awarded to him than a penalty against, even without taking into account whether CL should have been booked for simulation.

Liverpool
    I have and for the nth time, it was a penalty. Did you not see Lovren's hand in CL's back?

Having your hand on someone's back isn't a foul.

If it was there would be 100's of extra free kicks every game.
    It took a ref of surpassing naievté to see that dive as a foul by Lovren.
    Everton didn't fail yesterday. They are in the business of getting enough points to guarantee safety and they'll start preparing for next season at that point. Everton set out to play as a compact unit, two banks of four, keeping men behind the ball, frustrating Liverpool. If they pushed up, you would have ripped them to pieces on the counter, just like you did against Brighton. Take a look at that game again and note how many of your goals were on the break.

They failed to threaten the goal.
    I'm sure Sam at least theoretically would've liked to carry some sort of goal threat, to keep Liverpool honest if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭spoonerhead

They are in the business of getting enough points to guarantee safety and they'll start preparing for next season at that point

They spent over €120 million, what will miraculously change over the next few months?

They spent over €120 million, what will miraculously change over the next few months?

Nothing, this season is a dud for them. They are not going to get near the European places, so they'll secure safety and start planning for next season. They are going to have to spend another wad of cash to sort out their issues in front of goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Could easily still finish 7th

• Everton
    Liamalone wrote: »
    Just watched Klopp's post match interview and I thought he was going to start crying. Sad to see a grown man near tears arguing as clear cut a penalty as your likely to see.

Thought his little meltdown was quite distasteful and ignorant towards the Sky interviewer also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Jose and Lukaku lost it after the game in the dressing rooms and Lukaku smashed a bottle over Arteta leaving him bleeding.

Totally disgusting behaviour hopefully big fines and bans incoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Jose is scum, always has been and always will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Jose and Lukaku lost it after the game in the dressing rooms and Lukaku smashed a bottle over Arteta leaving him bleeding.

Totally disgusting behaviour hopefully big fines and bans incoming.

Shhh it is only a meltdown and disrespectful if it is Klopp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Jose vs. Klopp

The battle of the meltdowns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭finno

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Thought his little meltdown was quite distasteful and ignorant towards the Sky interviewer also.

Well you would, But the reporter doesn't think so

https://twitter.com/skysports_PatD/status/939932045970755585

• Advertisement

Any videos of the Mourinhio incident?

Surely some hero had a smart phone

Liverpool
    Lukaku was aiming the bottle at Pep but missed again that has been the story of his last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Lukaku was aiming the bottle at Pep but missed again that has been the story of his last few months.

Big game manager. He'd have walloped Wenger with it tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Lukaku smashed a bottle over Arteta leaving him bleeding.

If this is true United and Lukaku should be punished in the strongest possible terms.

Making him play 90 minutes for the next 10 matches should be punishment enough :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not in the slightest. He showed passion and a bit of frustration, quite understandable really. He answered all the questions asked by the interviewer, it's not like he stormed off.

Moving onto Mourinhi's outburst..... now I would love to have seen that.

I can only presume meltdown.....distasteful and ignorant would be very apt to describe his behaviour. Not for the first time and probably not the last.

• Everton
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Not in the slightest. He showed passion and a bit of frustration, quite understandable really. He answered all the questions asked by the interviewer, it's not like he stormed off.

I can only presume meltdown.....distasteful and ignorant would be very apt to describe his behaviour. Not for the first time and probably not the last.

Ah yes, the golden nugget..."Klopp shows passion". Read this so many times before.
    The blinders some have on for him amuses me however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    Mourinhio out poking eyes again was he!?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ah yes, the golden nugget..."Klopp shows passion". Read this so many times before.

Amuses me when some opinions of him are equally as blinded.

Mourinhio on the other hand.... a saint and a scholar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool

Some managers choose to speak with honesty instead of gouge the eyes of another professional, or storm down the tunnel and throw a hissy fit when another team celebrate a victory.

Your posts have been rich in irony lately. The personal crusade against Klopp is equal parts sad and hilarious tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Everton
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    Good understated dive from Calvin Lewis though.

Damien Duff used to be the master at that sort of thing, steal a march on a defender and then sort of throw himself back into the contact and then naturally fall to the ground, he made a career out of it. It's always looks convincing from a referees angle.

I think Duff had more in his locker throughout his career than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Would not even go there, remember he is one to complain about being wound up on the internet and then tries to do the same

Spurs
    I think Duff had more in his locker throughout his career than that.

I mean obviously he had but imo he was the most successful and competent diver in premier league history, its a real skill, he won a crazy amount of free kicks for the sides he played for by simulating.

• Everton
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Some managers choose to speak with honesty instead of gouge the eyes of another professional, or storm down the tunnel and throw a hissy fit when another team celebrate a victory.

Your posts have been rich in irony lately. The personal crusade against Klopp is equal parts sad and hilarious tbh.

I'm glad you are enjoying it but i won't get personal with you like certain posters tend do so so.
    I'm finding it hilarious if I do say so myself. Klopp has a knack off pulling the wool over the eyes of the believers.

• Everton
    Amuses me when some opinions of him are equally as blinded.

Mourinhio on the other hand.... a saint and a scholar.

You keep bringing up mourihnio as if I spoke about him even though I've not shared any of my opinions of his antics on this thread.
    Actually think he moaned about a penalty that never was. Herrera dived. But I suspect he was worked up about Jesus doing the same unpunished.

Spurs
    What I find funny is Jose is probably famous for having the most obnoxious celebration of an opposing manager at Old Trafford but then has the temerity to have a go at likes of Conte and Pep for lesser acts of exuberance.

He's bringing a particularly low tone to what was once a proud club which I can't imagine sits too well with the likes of Charlton.

Entertaining for a neutral though mind.

• Everton
    What I find funny is Jose is probably famous for having the most obnoxious celebration of an opposing manager at Old Trafford but then has the temerity to have a go at likes of Conte and Pep for lesser acts of exuberance.

He's bringing a particularly low tone to what was once a proud club which I can't imagine sits too well with the likes of Charlton.

I really wouldn't say lesser at all but I agree, entertaining for the neutral watching, conte, pep or Jose

You keep bringing up mourihnio as if I spoke about him even though I've not shared any of my opinions of his antics on this thread.
    Actually think he moaned about a penalty that never was. Herrera dived. But I suspect he was worked up about Jesus doing the same unpunished.

Yes, I brought up Mourinho.....and you quoted me:confused:

Not sure what he was actually moaning about, he parked the bus at home and lost.
    Probably just annoyed at himself and took it out on everyone else.

Spurs
    What I can't figure out is if he's genuinely lacking in self awareness or are his actions more calculated and psychological, leaning towards the former at this stage tbh and think he's just a horrifically bad loser which sends him into a sort of uncontrollable mania.

Liverpool
    Jose will be delighted he is getting the headlines and not his player smashing a bottle over a member of the other team's backroom staff hard enough to draw blood.

• Advertisement

It's very entertaing but we've seen it all before with him, with various clubs. Maybe he feels too many managers have the sheer audacity to outshine him, too often.
    Think he needs to step it up a bit....away dressing room rants would be very good viewing if we ever get to see it.

Advertisement