Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

Everton
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    Being utterly outraged about something other managers do that you've done before yourself on multiple occasions in the past on more obnoxious levels is not something someone of a stable mind does. He's a highly functioning psychopath imo.

I disagree but you'll have that

Pep says they didn't over celebrate. Looks like it was just José crying because he lost. Part of his masterplan no doubt :rolleyes:

Storm in a milkcup

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

This has been done to death!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Being utterly outraged about something other managers do that you've done before yourself on multiple occasions in the past on more obnoxious levels is not something someone of a stable mind does. He's a highly functioning psychopath imo.

tumblr_inline_mk6k6uyUUE1qz4rgp.png

• Everton
    Interestingly the FA can call for CCTV footage during the investigation. All to be submitted by 6pm today.
    Niceone
    Some proper evidence other than waffle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Pity Jose didn't learn some humility and dignity from Sir Bobby when he was learning under him all those years ago.

He just as bad a winner as he is a loser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Yep high risk football plus Lovren, Mignolet and Moreno does that. Won about 30 points from losing positions as well. Not boring.

Pity Jose didn't learn some humility and dignity from Sir Bobby when he was learning under him all those years ago.

He just as bad a winner as he is a loser.

It's difficult to teach that stuff to an adult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭finno

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Nice finish by Bakayoko to take advantage of Huddersfield making a mistake under little pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Seems this could get as ugly as Chelsea want it to. Hudds look really off the pace, all the games in quick succession showing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Burnley now 4 points off man utd in second.

G'wan Burnley. Great stuff

Ampadu slots right into Luizs position with that hair. Isn’t he one of ours kind of, how is he playing for wales?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    How is Hughes not sacked by now.

Stoke are going down if the don't sack him soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Unbelievable stuff from Burnley. Another clean sheet tarkowski who didn't even get a game last year the only one of the regular back 4 and goalkeeper played the 90 minutes tonight.

• Everton
    Palace really need to win this

Palace really need to win this
    End they do, man united in Barcelona style. No way are they going down now

• Everton
    End they do, man united in Barcelona style. No way are they going down now

Roy gets an awful lot of stick but has done a great job in turning the season around for them

• Advertisement

• Everton
    Unbelievable stuff from Burnley. Another clean sheet tarkowski who didn't even get a game last year the only one of the regular back 4 and goalkeeper played the 90 minutes tonight.

Go ahead of Liverpool in the table too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Go ahead of Liverpool in the table too :P

Am I doing this right? If it wasnt for man city having such a good season burnley would be in the title race ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

finno wrote: »

Hi is. Ask any Utd fan who had to watch two years of LVGs turgid football. Utd scored 49 league goals in LVGs second season. After 16 games this season they've already scored 36, second only to City and have scored 4 goals 8 times in all competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Man City
    Roy gets an awful lot of stick but has done a great job in turning the season around for them

He gets stick from people who haven’t a clue. Hodgson has been a good manager most places he’s been. It really annoys me when I see people saying “he’s crap coz of Liverpool” or “he was shown up in the England job so he’s useless”.

Granted, even allowing for circumstances, he didn’t do either of those two jobs well. But his CV is, in large parts, very very impressive and he’s doing a good job with Palace.

Moyes gets similar stick and probably from a lot of the people who were championing him 6 or 7 years ago. I’d love to see him keep West Ham up.

• Everton
    Am I doing this right? If it wasnt for man city having such a good season burnley would be in the title race ;)

Yep :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Burnley now 4 points off man utd in second.

Embarrassed to say that I tipped them to be in the relegation zone. They are five points off safety and it isn't even Christmas. Good win for Palace tonight, they are on a decent little run now. Six unbeaten but they have drawn a few of them. Should have won at the weekend but for Benteke. Roy is doing a good job there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

DeanAustin wrote: »
    He gets stick from people who haven’t a clue. Hodgson has been a good manager most places he’s been. It really annoys me when I see people saying “he’s crap coz of Liverpool” or “he was shown up in the England job so he’s useless”.

Granted, even allowing for circumstances, he didn’t do either of those two jobs well. But his CV is, in large parts, very very impressive and he’s doing a good job with Palace.

Moyes gets similar stick and probably from a lot of the people who were championing him 6 or 7 years ago. I’d love to see him keep West Ham up.

He collapses under the pressure of big expectations like the Liverpool and England job. He always does well at the lesser teams, some managers are just better at that than managing a big club and big names. Moyes is the same.

He did probably manage Liverpool at the worst time I can remember but his conduct as manager was nothing short of embarrassing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton

This isnt exactly correct hes had a few stand out success but in general hes been decidedly average nowhere close to good
    Malmo, the Swiss, Copenhagen, then finally Fulham and West Brom
    I dont rate him as a manager at all, he showed with England in the euros hes a coward of a man with his exit interview
    But to say hes been a good manager in most places hes been is well inaccurate and bull**** reasoning that they dont know football just because they dont rate him.
    Hes success has mostly come in Scandinavia, did nothing in Italy or anytime hes got a big enough English job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Better win rate than the saviour Sam Allardyce, and got Fulham(!) to a UEFA Cup final.

Moyes and Roy are probably at their level. That's not an insult, it's just a fact.

• Advertisement

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Moyes and Roy are probably at their level. That's not an insult, it's just a fact.

They both might survive but every year about 6 teams deserve to go down but only 3 can. Stoke are in awful form but are only 15th so it goes to show you how bad a team has to be to drop into the bottom 3 consistently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He signed Paul Konchesky for Liverpool.
    That says it all.

Interesting that Huddersfield are second favourites with the bookies to finish bottom, even though they're currently 12th. I guess it shows most of the teams in the bottom half kind of have their act together (some with the help of managerial changes). Could be a packed field fighting to stay up come May...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Liverpool
    Chelsea fans signing 'Champions of England, you'll never sing that' at Huddersfield who won the league over 30 years earlier than Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Liverpool
    Bridge93 wrote: »
    Chelsea fans signing 'Champions of England, you'll never sing that' at Huddersfield who won the league over 30 years earlier than Chelsea.

Think they sang back we've won it twice, they were pretty vocal all game, even when they were 3 nil down.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

MD1990 wrote: »
    That says it all.

Rafa signed Voronin, Klopp signed Klavan, Rodgers signed Lambert/Manquillo. These are without getting into the big money ones like Carroll, Markovic, Downing erc. There are far more others in the last few years.

Konchesky was signed for 3.5m as a backup who the manager trusted. Hardly the most outrageous transfer ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Liam O wrote: »
    Rafa signed Voronin, Klopp signed Klavan, Rodgers signed Lambert/Manquillo. These are without getting into the big money ones like Carroll, Markovic, Downing erc. There are far more others in the last few years.

Konchesky was signed for 3.5m as a backup who the manager trusted. Hardly the most outrageous transfer ever.

Well Klavan was signed for £3m 10 years after Konchesky as a back up player so he surely should not be on your list especially since the rise in transfer fees?

Manquillo was signed on loan by Rodgers as cover (he was 19 at that stage I think).

If I remember right Vornin had a decent European Championship before he joined and a super pre season, he then fell away badly for some reason.

Konchesky was a terrible signing though.

Man City
    irishman86 wrote: »
    This isnt exactly correct hes had a few stand out success but in general hes been decidedly average nowhere close to good
    Malmo, the Swiss, Copenhagen, then finally Fulham and West Brom
    I dont rate him as a manager at all, he showed with England in the euros hes a coward of a man with his exit interview
    But to say hes been a good manager in most places hes been is well inaccurate and bull**** reasoning that they dont know football just because they dont rate him.
    Hes success has mostly come in Scandinavia, did nothing in Italy or anytime hes got a big enough English job

I didn’t say he was a good manager in most places he’s been. I said in large parts, his CV is very impressive which it is.

For several years he was very successful. By and large, the early years in Sweden were successful. He had a great spell in Switzerland from 1990 to the mid nineties. The national team had no pedigree before he arrived and he qualified them for a World Cup from a group that included Italy, Portugal and Scotland and got to the second round in the finals. He also qualified them for Euro 2006. He did a reasonable job at Inter to the extent that he was asked back as a caretaker. He did really well with Finland, exceptionally well at Fulham and very well at West Brom.

There have been failures on his CV (Udinese, UAE, Liverpool, England) but there have been long periods of success. I’ve no issue with him being criticized but when he’s dismissed as “a dinosaur”, “tactically inept”, “only getting jobs because he’s part of the old boys club”, it annoys me. His CV is deserving of much more respect.

The other thing I give him huge credit for is the fact that, despite being labelled a coward on here, he’s gone to several different foreign countries and cultures and tested his skills there. Lots of players, managers and people don’t have the balls to do that.

I’m not a massive fan of Hodgson or his brand of football but he is deserving of respect.

Man City
    MD1990 wrote: »
    That says it all.

A 40 year management career that spans about 10 countries and multiple successes all comes down to one terrible signing when he was working under pretty difficult circumstances? Behave yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Interesting that Huddersfield are second favourites with the bookies to finish bottom, even though they're currently 12th. I guess it shows most of the teams in the bottom half kind of have their act together (some with the help of managerial changes). Could be a packed field fighting to stay up come May...

9 points in 3 games, then 9 points in the 14 games since then. Certainly in the mix for relegation, but as you say it'll be a packed field down there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

*sits waiting on the Jose has a melt down videos after his pop at the media*

Oh right its ok as it is Jose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A 40 year management career that spans about 10 countries and multiple successes all comes down to one terrible signing when he was working under pretty difficult circumstances? Behave yourself.

Hodgson was given nothing to work with at Liverpool and he bought what he knew as most managers do. I don't blame him for the awful signings, the americans were running the club into financial ruin back then. It was his media conduct and just the cowardly manner he conducted himself as Liverpool manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-united-city-news-derby-pep-guardiola-jose-mourinho-latest-a8104371.html?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Just read this regarding if Pep could manage United. Reasonable interesting.

Just curious with United fans go back and take Pep if they could?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Liverpool
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-united-city-news-derby-pep-guardiola-jose-mourinho-latest-a8104371.html?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Absolutely

• Everton
    I'm expecting a bit of pressure to put on Wenger again if they slip against West Ham tonight.

• Advertisement

I'm expecting a bit of pressure to put on Wenger again if they slip against West Ham tonight.

Why??
    No title challenge was expected from them and if they win they could even go into fourth place

• Everton
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Why??
    No title challenge was expected from them and if they win they could even go into fourth place

Really?
    Lost to Utd and a Drew at Southampton. More dropped points tonight and I imagine the fans will be raging.

Really?
    Lost to Utd and a Drew at Southampton. More dropped points tonight and I imagine the fans will be raging.

Well they haven't had a title challenge in a while and finished 6th last year so yes really.
    Despite those results they still sit 6 points off second so if Wenger is under pressure so must most of them managers around him considering Chelsea and United were definitely considered contenders until recently when the league was for all intensive purposes won. Liverpool were never competing for it after failing miserably to strengthen their poor defence and Spurs don't seem to be performing as consistent as last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Every single day of the week!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    I didn’t say he was a good manager in most places he’s been. I said in large parts, his CV is very impressive which it is.

For several years he was very successful. By and large, the early years in Sweden were successful. He had a great spell in Switzerland from 1990 to the mid nineties. The national team had no pedigree before he arrived and he qualified them for a World Cup from a group that included Italy, Portugal and Scotland and got to the second round in the finals. He also qualified them for Euro 2006. He did a reasonable job at Inter to the extent that he was asked back as a caretaker. He did really well with Finland, exceptionally well at Fulham and very well at West Brom.

There have been failures on his CV (Udinese, UAE, Liverpool, England) but there have been long periods of success. I’ve no issue with him being criticized but when he’s dismissed as “a dinosaur”, “tactically inept”, “only getting jobs because he’s part of the old boys club”, it annoys me. His CV is deserving of much more respect.

The other thing I give him huge credit for is the fact that, despite being labelled a coward on here, he’s gone to several different foreign countries and cultures and tested his skills there. Lots of players, managers and people don’t have the balls to do that.

I’m not a massive fan of Hodgson or his brand of football but he is deserving of respect.
    I think hes a average manager and his career shows this. Potter is doing really well in Sweden shows that its easier to enjoy success than in the big euro leagues, his big success was with Malmo who are one of the top two teams in the league.
    His time at Inter was exactly what happened at Liverpool which was the sum of **** all, being asked back as a caretaker means nothing in Italy where they rather hire a guy they know than take a chance, youd know this if you followed Italian football
    I label him a coward for the way he left the English job, it was beyond pathetic, maybe watch his exit interview.
    Just because he has managed abroad doesnt change this and its laughable that you give it as a reason
    I dont think hes a terrible manager but hes a very average one

• Advertisement
Advertisement