Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Paully D wrote: »

Is he looking for sympathy? Mad stuff.
    He obviously hasn't proven himself good enough to be a starter in the PL. He could have dropped down to mid championship level and he'd have hundreds of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Liverpool
    How is Hughes not sacked by now.

Stoke are going down if the don't sack him soon.

Stoke are a family oriented club - They don't sack managers easily. They'll stick with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Third keeper at a big club is the cushiest number in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Any announcement of 3pm Sky PL games to be shown?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Liverpool
    Missed last night's matches, of those on tonight nothing really stands out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    You would nearly feel sorry for Jonny Evans stuck playing in that West Brom team when he could be in the mix for an odd game at City this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Interesting Spurs line-up. Looks more balanced than usual front four. Often find Ali and Eriksen tend to occupy the same spaces whereas Lamela is a more natural wide frontman.

Spurs
    Mahrez's current form seems to be coincidentally taken an upturn close to the transfer window.

Easily the most talented player outside the big 6 sides though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Mahrez's current form seems to be coincidentally taken an upturn close to the transfer window.

Easily the most talented player outside the big 6 sides though.

As you allude to attitude over a long spell may be lacking.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    Creswell faking a injury for handballing a Girouds amazing strike

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

15 in a row well that's a big slice of history

Everton
    Possibly the first time ever that a Japanese player has scored for opposite teams in the PL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    It's nailed on west Brom to sneak this 1 nil. Get on it now.

Everton
    Iwobi is pure muck

Spurs
    Puel and Allardyce both getting some serious reactions from their sides after taking over.

The improvement in Evertons defence in particular is substantial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Story of the season tonight: city cruise to a 4-0, all the other ‘big boys’ huffing and puffing...

Everton
    Story of the season tonight: city cruise to a 4-0, all the other ‘big boys’ huffing and puffing...

I'd have Leicester far above that and Rooney continuing his run of form that a team like City beating Swansea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Liverpool

City back on form tonight alright

• Advertisement

• Everton
    Always enjoyable to see Liverpool drop points
    Nice1 West Brom

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Puel and Allardyce both getting some serious reactions from their sides after taking over.

The improvement in Evertons defence in particular is substantial.
    And moyes, though it kills me to say it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Nice1 West Brom

Ya disappointing result in fairness. It's seems to be a bit stop start again after a good run of results.

• Everton
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Ya disappointing result in fairness. It's seems to be a bit stop start again after a good run of results.

It's fairly regular occurrence when December comes around
    Tbf you can add Arsenal into that too

Nice1 West Brom
    Another 1-0 classic at Snore Trafford I see, zzzzzz......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool

Yeh but in fairness, they got 3 points like haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Nice1 West Brom

This has to be the worst comeback I've ever seen online!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    That's a new one :pac:

• Everton

1 point > 3 points

Oh dear :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    Some surprising results tonight. I see Big Sam is already working his magic. He'll have enjoyed that result.

• Everton
    Some surprising results tonight. I see Big Sam is already working his magic. He'll have enjoyed that result.

Fair play to him
    Apparently he was aiming to draw...
    But still won :P
    Some clubs could learn to do the same

• Advertisement

And moyes, though it kills me to say it

With the attacking firepower that West Ham have, anyone could keep them up. They have another gear completely to all of the other sides battling down there.

He has also benefited massively from Hart not being able to play against City. If Hart was available for selection for that game, Adrian likely doesn’t even play a game this season. He’s been excellent since he came in.

Allardyce is absolutely superb.

The best at what he does by a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Only 6 points separate the bottom ten. That's tight

Leicester's revival under Puel is pretty impressive, sustained for the bones of 2 months now.

Interesting that after totaling 1 point over the last 7 games which is the worst in any of Europe’s top leagues in that period, there is still not even a whisper of questioning or even slightly negative comment or opinion from anyone of note regarding Benitez.

He’s obviously held in very high regard by the fans, but how many managers would be able to go through that spell without facing any sort of backlash?

It’s not a criticism before anyone starts, more an observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Interesting that after totaling 1 point over the last 7 games which is the worst in any of Europe’s top leagues in that period, there is still not even a whisper of questioning or even slightly negative comment or opinion from anyone of note regarding Benitez.

He’s obviously held in very high regard by the fans, but how many managers would be able to go through that spell without facing any sort of backlash?

Pending sale of the club is overshadowing the results. The fans love him, so they'll stick with him til the end.

He's a brilliant politician, as he showed during his time at Liverpool. Not a criticism either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Paully D wrote:

Its blatantly obvious Mike Ashley doesn't want to spend another cent there with a payoff & hiring anyone, he just wants someone to buy the club so he can get something out of it.
    Benevento & Koln I reckon could beat their form; neither have a win in a combined 32 games so even though it could get worse for them things can always be lower :pac:

irishman86 wrote: »
    Iwobi is pure muck

That struck me forcefully watching him against Man United the other week. I struggle to understand how he gets anywhere near the team given the amount of quality attacking players at Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Oh dear, what a come back.

Since you are not aware, in 14 games at OT, only 3 times ManUtd won 1-0 and only 4 times they have scored 1 goal or less.

In the 14 games at Anfield, Liverpool scored 1 goal or less 6 times, including goalless draws twice.

Snore trafford or snorefield, I don't know.

Anyways, looks like big Sam is doing good job, same with Roy Hodgson. Always gets the **** from some section of fans but they get the results. Moyes also did very well in the last 3 games, winning 4 points in one of the cruellest set of fixtures possible in PL.

• Advertisement

Arsenal and Liverpool are closer to the relegation zone that City. Both sides have much work to do to become title contenders. The relegation battle is going to very interesting this season.

Berserker wrote: »
    Arsenal and Liverpool are closer to the relegation zone that City.

I think that's fairly obvious considering City are ahead of them both in the league :pac:

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I think that's fairly obvious considering City are ahead of them both in the league :pac:

I was talking about points.

Berserker wrote: »
    I was talking about points.

Ah right :pac:

Yeah they are alright.

Liverpool & Arsenal are pretty average and City have made possibly the best start ever to a league campaign.

It's the 2nd/3rd/4th place cup for all the pretenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Berserker wrote:
    Arsenal and Liverpool are closer to the relegation zone that City.

Nobody is within a respectable distance of City now to have any title race. Based on performance the gap to them is even larger than the points difference too.

Mushy wrote: »
    This has to be the worst comeback I've ever seen online!
    Seriously? You must be new around here.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Nobody is within a respectable distance of City now to have any title race. Based on performance the gap to them is even larger than the points difference too.
    City already have more points than the team who finished 8th last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Are city really that good or is the premier LGE just crap,I'm swaying for the latter,yea the teams in cl are doing ok,none had tough groups bar spurs who played Madrid when they were in a slump and a poor Dortmund side,put them all back in the premier and it's one big borefest with the LGE over in December,all the extra TV money has done feck all to improve the quality of teams in fact it's had the opposite effect

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Are city really that good or is the premier LGE just crap,I'm swaying for the latter,yea the teams in cl are doing ok,none had tough groups bar spurs who played Madrid when they were in a slump and a poor Dortmund side,put them all back in the premier and it's one big borefest with the LGE over in December,all the extra TV money has done feck all to improve the quality of teams in fact it's had the opposite effect

Sure it's getting worse every year supposedly!

Maybe the best way to guage it is the performance of clubs in Europe. Going well so far, lets see how they do in the knockouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    shamrock55 wrote: »

I think what we finally have is a top level team. We have had years of people saying the PL is great because its so competitive and anyone can beat anyone. LA liga isnt great because real and barca just steamroll teams. The reason for that was because real and barca were/ are so good and the English teams in recent years haven't been great so could be beaten by anyone. Now we have a team at a really high level and lo and behold they are walking the league just as real and barca would have done at any stage over the last 6/7 years.

Advertisement