Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    Oh dear. Rio getting carried away and channeling Paul Merson. They're the best team in Europe now despite the fact Monaco knocked them out in the last 16 last season. But now they're the best in the entire continent. Premier League hype for you in a nutshell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Thought you'd have dirtied it when you beat Utd last week.
    I've still got the surgical support on my wrist. And the sheets needed two runs through the washing machine. You'd have needed a hurley to fold the things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

They're a far more superior and coherent side to the side that lost to Monaco last season Best team in Europe? Probably not, one of the best? Yep.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

**** sake, you'd swear Spurs did a vs Chelsea from last year or something. There were three bad tackles today - Deli should have gone, as that was nasty and about as much as you'd expect from him when he's in that mood. Kane's was a bad tackle looking away from the player, and Otamendi kicked Kane straight in the face.

2 yellow's and 1 red is what it should have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

That was a completely different Monaco side though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭finno

Oh dear. Rio getting carried away and channeling Paul Merson. They're the best team in Europe now despite the fact Monaco knocked them out in the last 16 last season. But now they're the best in the entire continent. Premier League hype for you in a nutshell.

Thats the difference its now not last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Liverpool
    Bournemouth,Newcastle,Palace and Watford for City over the Christmas period.

Safe too say the run will not be stopping anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    finno wrote: »
    Thats the difference its now not last season.

It's the same calendar year. They weren't good enough to make the quarter-finals in March but now it's December they are the best in the whole continent? I don't think so. They've proven they are the best in England but remain unproven abroad. They need to show they can hold their own against the elite before being acclaimed the finest side in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Belgium fans must be licking their lips for the summer.

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Bournemouth,Newcastle,Palace and Watford for City over the Christmas period.

Safe too say the run will not be stopping anytime soon.
    The trip up to Newcastle could be tricky. 50,000 baying geordies on the case and Shelvey going around kicking anything that moves; not a place for shrinking violets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

blueser wrote: »
    The trip up to Newcastle could be tricky. 50,000 baying geordies on the case and Shelvey going around kicking anything that moves; not a place for shrinking violets.

They've taken 1 point from the last 9 games.

Dele Ali is the shadow of the player he was last year. What's going on with him?

Paully D wrote: »
    They've taken 1 point from the last 9 games.
    Yes, I know. But we have a long history of helping out clubs or individual players who are going through a barren spell. Well done today, by the way. That's that "home form" monkey off your back now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Strange season in that the top of the table is all but sorted with the top 4 nearly guaranteed to be City, United, Chelsea and Arsenal but below that anyone from 11th downwards (and Watford in 9th) in grave danger of the drop given that not one team has looked in anyway consistent or steely enough to safely say they will beat the drop.

This could well be one of those seasons where 40 points may not be enough to stay up.

Can't believe the season is over already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

blueser wrote: »
    Yes, I know. But we have a long history of helping out clubs or individual players who are going through a barren spell. Well done today, by the way. That's that "home form" monkey off your back now.

Cheers mate. Just the 364 days! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Dele Ali is the shadow of the player he was last year. What's going on with him?

Spurs haven't got going this season at all. Don't care what anyone says, the move to Wembley has unsettled them. The move to the new WHL is going to mess up another season for them.
    Can't believe the season is over already.

Not intrigued by the race for fourth and the relegation battle?

Berserker wrote: »
    Not intrigued by the race for fourth and the relegation battle?

Was tongue in cheek. A poster said top 4 lineup was almost more or less sorted already!

City, Utd & Chelsea should be certs. 4th is definitely up for grab, especially with another 60 points to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The season was over before mid December :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Even Celtic in a one horse league aren't anywhere near being as far clear as City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

It's the same calendar year. They weren't good enough to make the quarter-finals in March but now it's December they are the best in the whole continent? I don't think so. They've proven they are the best in England but remain unproven abroad. They need to show they can hold their own against the elite before being acclaimed the finest side in Europe.
    Its camel gob Wio you need to be arguing that point with. it was him made the claim.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Fair play to City, they are an excellent side. Spurs, well same old Spurs in a lot of ways, a no show in a game v a top side. One feature was a nasty streak in the Spurs side, a number of nasty, sly, dangerous tackles by a number of different players, and not just the usual Deli Ali leaving the foot in.

The same old spurs would've been 4 nil down at half time. Fernandinho was the 1st player to leave something on someone and wasn't booked. Might have set a precedent.

Alli and Eriksen have been poor and i think dier is a liability at the back. Missing Toby, Sanchez and big Vic are massive blows to us also as i think we're better with the 3 at the back.

Us spurs fans have maybe been spoilt in recent years, i remember when we were battling to finish top half. Great group of players and an even better manager. Just outclassed today by a seriously well oiled, literally, machine. Amazing what the world's best manager and half a billion does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

City, Utd & Chelsea should be certs.

I'd say City are a pretty safe bet for the top four alright...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just watching MotD, both City and Spurs could’ve had players sent off. Kane and Ali challenges were right up there with Pogba’s a few weeks ago. Otamendi dangerous play ala Mane.

Ian Wright laughing off Ali’s tackle. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Terrible dive from Lanzini for West Ham's penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Just watching MotD, both City and Spurs could’ve had players sent off. Kane and Ali challenges were right up there with Pogba’s a few weeks ago. Otamendi dangerous play ala Mane.

Alli's was the worst of the lot. Could have broken his ankle.

The referee was abysmal. 3 red cards missed, and a blatant push by Rose on Mangala. And I bet he'll be back on duty again next weekend again.

Liverpool
    Is Dele Alli one of Ian Wright's kids?

I know he has 8/9kids from a load of different women.

Dele can never do anything wrong in his eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    The same old spurs would've been 4 nil down at half time. Fernandinho was the 1st player to leave something on someone and wasn't booked. Might have set a precedent.

Alli and Eriksen have been poor and i think dier is a liability at the back. Missing Toby, Sanchez and big Vic are massive blows to us also as i think we're better with the 3 at the back.

Us spurs fans have maybe been spoilt in recent years, i remember when we were battling to finish top half. Great group of players and an even better manager. Just outclassed today by a seriously well oiled, literally, machine. Amazing what the world's best manager and half a billion does

If Spurs don't get top 4 do you think the likes of Kane may leave?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    What exactly do Spurs players have to do to get a card :confused:

Everton
    I agree with you there.

But Jose knows and has won this league a couple of times and even with all the money in the world to send and he is spending it he is still so far behind Pep.

He did start behind Pep though in standard of squad, that was as clear as day

Mourinho won't like these celebrations,or this song in particular.

https://twitter.com/Beardamendi/status/942161729831784448

• Everton
    irishman86 wrote: »
    What exactly do Spurs players have to do to get a card :confused:

Interesting as Pogba got sent off for less
    Both Kane and Deli Ali's tackles should have been red
    Surely after match review is required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Since Ali and Kane were carded for the tackles I guess that’s what they’d have to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Liverpool
    Since Ali and Kane were carded for the tackles I guess that’s what they’d have to do.

Ali tackle was bad,that should be reviewed,even tho Kane and Otemendi should have got red aswell.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Interesting as Pogba got sent off for less
    Both Kane and Deli Ali's tackles should have been red
    Surely after match review is required
    I remember Ben Thatcher's assault (no other word for it) on Pedro Mendes a few years back. He received a yellow card for it, but it was reviewed by the FA as an "exceptional"event and he got an 8 game ban for it. So there is a precedent for "overriding" a yellow card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Liverpool
    The fa are never going to do anything with england 2 new golden boys. 2 terrible challenges and Ali's look like he had intent for me and its not the 1st time hes done it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    He did start behind Pep though in standard of squad, that was as clear as day

Pep inherited an awful keeper, an ageing back four with an injury prone kompany. The likes of yaya and nasri. I'm not sure there was too much between the squads when they took over . They more or less finished neck and neck in the league the year before they both took over. Pep has made some very good signings and massively improved some of the players he had.

Everton
    Pep inherited an awful keeper, an ageing back four with an injury prone kompany. The likes of yaya and nasri. I'm not sure there was too much between the squads when they took over . They more or less finished neck and neck in the league the year before they both took over. Pep has made some very good signings and massively improved some of the players he had.

:rolleyes: A keeper with multiple golden gloves but sure
    There was a big different between the squads, its not even a argument buddy
    As for Awful back four Kompany and Otamendi are there two best centre backs and both were there before Pep. Which player did he massively improve exactly
    Kun, De Bruyne were both superstars. Walker the most expensive rb in the world :confused:, Delph a player who at Villa was up with the best midfielders in the league. Stones maybe but it was always going to happen with him
    He signed Bravo to be his keeper and he flopped badly so replaced him with the future Brazil number one for massive money
    He spent massive money so off course he got good players who suited his system, but there is a lot wrong with what you are saying

Everton
    sky88 wrote: »
    The fa are never going to do anything with england 2 new golden boys. 2 terrible challenges and Ali's look like he had intent for me and its not the 1st time hes done it

Its a joke tbh, like you said there was intend. Tried to take out Citys best player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

:rolleyes: A keeper with multiple golden gloves but sure

The current West Ham back up you're on about is it? The one who was shaky at Torino last year?

Nice to see McClean back playing

Liverpool
    Jose walks off the pre match Sky interview when asked about City.

Sore.

• Everton
    Sky with the nonsense
    Souness is pathetic too

Jose walks off the pre match Sky interview when asked about City.

Sore.

He's cracking up

Sky still seems to be taken seriously. Cutting edge analysis from half of Oasis must be impressing for some :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    Aye that was beyond ridiculous but I guess he's the closest they have to a city legend.

City are the new darlings of Sky.

Utd missed the boat not getting Pep.

Liverpool
    You can see the bitter lemons hurting a lot of utd fans that they are no longer the golden club to Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    You can see the bitter lemons hurting a lot of utd fans that they are no longer the golden club to Sky.

Aye I just wish they had Mick Hucknel on instead of oasis. Unfortunately we have an actual abundance of footballing legends that go on instead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement