Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He's great
    He pisses off rivals being the main reason ;)

Being a sad figure of ridicule isn't pissing off anyone Mick. It's quite fun.

DRREoirV4AAT2PB.jpg

• Everton
    Still feel somehow it's annoying you....
    I assume you are a rival too :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Still feel somehow it's annoying you....
    I assume you are a rival too :P
    Well yeah, I support a rival. But come on, can't you see Castles' sycophancy? I suspect you could if Jose was still at Chelsea.

The above is from a well known newspapers cartoonist. But I guess he's a "rival" and is annoying him too? This is well documented.

• Everton
    Well yeah, I support a rival. But come on, can't you see Castles' sycophancy? I suspect you could if Jose was still at Chelsea.

These things really don't bother me that much, you are probably right he might annoy me a little if Jose was managing Chelsea but he's not. He's managing Utd, the team I support.
    I can have a laugh at Castles but at the same time the overreactions of rivals :D

You would be surprised but sometimes he's actually accurate in some of his predictions due to his possibly 'suck-hole' nature as you say. He surely has some close sources because of this.

Other times he's laughably off but again it's kind of funny :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Surely if the FA/EPL can give a retrospective ban for diving it can't be long b4 the revised bad tackle will be changed from yellow to red or am u being to simplistic

• Everton
    Surely if the FA/EPL can give a retrospective ban for diving it can't be long b4 the revised bad tackle will be changed from yellow to red or am u being to simplistic

Not at all, It has to happen

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They should definitely be allowed to look at an incident, regardless of what the ref decided at the time. It's a stupid rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Kiith wrote:
    They should definitely be allowed to look at an incident, regardless of what the ref decided at the time. It's a stupid rule.

Pretty sure the ref had his back back to or at least momentarily to the Kane tackle & then dodged the ball so he just guessed it. Most refs wouldn't be that incompetent but this guy managed it. Nobody brought that up on TV either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

ERG89 wrote: »
    Pretty sure the ref had his back back to or at least momentarily to the Kane tackle & then dodged the ball so he just guessed it. Most refs wouldn't be that incompetent but this guy managed it. Nobody brought that up on TV either.

The ref actually looked over his shoulder and got a full view of it. Pawson got Alli terribly wrong, that's a red card and a 3 match ban for violent conduct everyday of the week.

Kane is one that looks worse than it is, he actually pulled up from the tackle. He came down on Sterling in a bad position, but I don't think the intent was there and when he realised he wasn't getting the ball he minimised the impact as much as he could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Lukker- wrote: »
    The ref actually looked over his shoulder and got a full view of it. Pawson got Alli terribly wrong, that's a red card and a 3 match ban for violent conduct everyday of the week.

Kane is one that looks worse than it is, he actually pulled up from the tackle. He came down on Sterling in a bad position, but I don't think the intent was there and when he realised he wasn't getting the ball he minimised the impact as much as he could.

With the Mane/Ederson and Pogba/Belerain challenges we were told intent plays no part in it. Dangerous is dangerous so he should have been shown a red.

If Alli or Kane's tackles were done by a non English player I bet they both would have been given red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Spurs are the dirtiest team in the PL by a country mile but get away with so much it is scary. Pawson is a useless ref in the same Burnley game a Burnley player made a significantly worse challenge than Cahill which was only deemed a yellow. By giving Alli and Kane yellows it also protects them from any further action.
    These decisions should be reviewed the Alli challenge was so much worse than the Pogba challenge (which I think deserved red also) yet he escapes punishment is just plain crazy.

Alli and Kane should both have gotten reds and I agree that they can get away with it because they got a yellow is a stupid law that needs to change.

But tell me this. How exactly are spurs the dirtiest team in the league by a country mile? Such a sweeping statement and clearly bull to anyone who watches them on a regular basis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Spurs
    Lukker- wrote: »

Still a red though, remember was it Sane for Liverpool V City when he caught the City keeper very high, I don't think for a second there was intent but it was dangerous and reckless so a red.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

emmetkenny wrote: »
    With the Mane/Ederson and Pogba/Belerain challenges we were told intent plays no part in it. Dangerous is dangerous so he should have been shown a red.

If Alli or Kane's tackles were done by a non English player I bet they both would have been given red.

Dangerous is dangerous but regardless of intent he pulled out halfway, so it's not as dangerous as it could have been. Every tackle even clean ones has the potential to be dangerous.

I wouldn't defend a Spurs player if it wasn't warranted. I think things like force/contact all have to be taken into account when judging if a tackle is dangerous or not. Reckless and or dangerous can be a yellow card offence too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That was Mane i think. Intent shouldn't matter imo, if the tackle is reckless. I didn't think Kane's was as bad till i re-watched it today. In hindsight (and with a calmer head than i had on Saturday :P) he should have gotten a red. But you could argue the same for Otamendi.

And Spurs are nowhere near the dirtiest team. 15th in yellows and 7th in reds. Deli has a very nasty streak, no denying that, and Dembele can be a dirty ****er (as seen vs Costa last year) but they are the only ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's hard to say who really is the dirtiest side as the official stats rely on referee decisions and clearly they are utterly unreliable.

Spurs
    Kiith wrote: »
    That was Mane i think. Intent shouldn't matter imo, if the tackle is reckless. I didn't think Kane's was as bad till i re-watched it today. In hindsight (and with a calmer head than i had on Saturday :P) he should have gotten a red. But you could argue the same for Otamendi.

And Spurs are nowhere near the dirtiest team. 15th in yellows and 7th in reds. Deli has a very nasty streak, no denying that, and Dembele can be a dirty ****er (as seen vs Costa last year) but they are the only ones.

Thats right it was Mane and certainly there was little difference between that and as you say Otamendi. Now is it red or not you can debate until the cows (its a mans game blah blah) come home but referee's or punishments should be consistent that is the crux of the matter for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Both Mane and Otamendi situations are red imo but there is a HUGE difference between them. Mane, eyes on the ball or not, was going almost full speed. Jumped. Lost almost complete control of his body and Ederson was really lucky. Otamendi had no where near as much momentum and was in much better control of his body. The impact to Kane would likely have been minimal. (Though still a kick to the face)

Funnily enough, I thought Mane made a more reckless lunge in the Merseyside derby. He just misread the trajectory of the ball so bad that pickford was well out of his firing line. Had that one made contact pickford would be seriously injured. He's an inconsiderate player and if he doesn't change his habits he will seriously injure someone. Eyes on the ball excuse only applies if you still apply basic awareness to your surrounding and fellow professionals. Mane is one of the few I've seen that doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

13twoface.jpg

Me, the 13th Duke of Roque Messa, in the penalty area at Goodison Park, with Wayne Rooney across my knee. Has no-one thought of the consequences?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    Will the Everton goal go down as a rooney assist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

This is one of the worst games of football I’ve seen for a long time....and an appalling atmosphere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Jayop wrote: »
    Will the Everton goal go down as a rooney assist?
    Yes apparently

Everton
    Yes apparently

So a goal and 2 assists tonight. You have to say that just going by the figures Rooney is having a serious season.

10 goals and 3 assists in 15 league appearances. He hasn't had those kinds of numbers for a long long time.

So a goal and 2 assists tonight. You have to say that just going by the figures Rooney is having a serious season.

10 goals and 3 assists in 15 league appearances. He hasn't had those kinds of numbers for a long long time.

Same amount of goals as Lukaku?

Some piece of business by Everton!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Everton have been awarded the most penalties in the league this season and that was before their second one tonight. Strange old stat for a side that was struggling until very recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Swansea are going down at this rate, Salah and indeed Rooney and about 6 others have scored more than the Swans

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Confidence Sam has instilled in this squad in such a short period is highly commendable.

I knew he'd improve them immeasurably but didn't think it would this quick.

An exciting future for them if they stick with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Everton

Not bad in fairness for a guy who can't pass a ball 5 yards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wow this Swansea has no chance in hell of surviving.

They are even worse than Sunderland from last season.

Spurs
    Shame for England he retired. Having a much better season than Ali. Although his fitness does look suspect in the more fast paced ties.

Everton
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Same amount of goals as Lukaku?

Some piece of business by Everton!!

Yeah, Lukaku is 8 years younger and already has 4 more goals in other comps too. I think we've done OK.
    Not bad in fairness for a guy who can't pass a ball 5 yards.

yeah his poor play was always vastly overrated in my book but lets not open that can of worms again lol.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

He's doing well for them obviously, but aren't a good few of those (and one assist) penalties?

Spurs
    He realistically could be top scorer by now had Sam been there from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool
    5starpool wrote: »
    He's doing well for them obviously, but aren't a good few of those (and one assist) penalties?

Penalties still count as goals scored mate ;)

Rekop dog wrote: »

Still plenty of time..

Everton
    5starpool wrote: »

10 goals
    3 of which pens

Those goals have secured 14 of the 25 points for Everton this season.

Everton

Salah 14
    Kane 12
    Sterling 11
    Aguero, Lukaku, Rooney 10

It's serious company for an old man who as washed up years ago to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Can't argue with his stats but I don't think Rooney has played that well this season . I have a few Everton supporting mates that were happy to see him dropped. Things have picked up under Sam it must be said and that goal he scored against west ham was unbelievable technique.

Spurs
    Salah 14
    Kane 12
    Sterling 11
    Aguero, Lukaku, Rooney 10

It's serious company for an old man who as washed up years ago to be in.

Sometimes it takes a move or change of environment to revitalise a career.

Pirlo was hugely going through the motions in his last couple of seasons at Milan. But it was like he was reborn at Juve under Conte and had a few magnificent seasons there.

Think it's always been plain to see from Wayne that he had a passion for the game that exceeds most players, but perhaps went a bit stale after so long at United. His boyhood club Everton and a supreme motivator of a manager seems the perfect catalyst to reignite that fire in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Shame for England he retired. Having a much better season than Ali. Although his fitness does look suspect in the more fast paced ties.

He retired coincidentally the week he was dropped from the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Football is so fickle.

Watford flying high a month ago, rejected all approaches by Everton for Marco Silva. Now they find themselves 3 points behind them.

Remarkable turnaround. Allardyce will never enough praise for what he does. Fantastic career and he's another level to all of the other English journeymen managers doing the rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,653 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Man City
    PhilipsR wrote: »
    Football is so fickle.

Watford flying high a month ago, rejected all approaches by Everton for Marco Silva. Now they find themselves 3 points behind them.

Remarkable turnaround. Allardyce will never enough praise for what he does. Fantastic career and he's another level to all of the other English journeymen managers doing the rounds.

Sam Alder-dichee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Swansea are going down at this rate, Salah and indeed Rooney and about 6 others have scored more than the Swans

If I were them I’d have been on the blower to Tony Pulis about 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Yeah it's pretty surprising that clement and Hughes are still in work, especially after how West ham, Everton and Palace turned a corner after binning their managers.

Spurs
    I think Clement is a decent manager how he kept Swansea up last season was nothing short of a miracle - that said eaten bread is soon forgotten wouldn't be surprised to see Pulis in there before the New year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

52 Man City
    41 Man Utd
    38 Chelsea
    34 Liverpool
    33 Arsenal
    32 Burnley
    31 Tottenham
    26 Leicester
    25 Everton
    22 Watford
    21 Huddersfield
    18 Southampton Brighton
    17 Palace West Ham
    16 Bournemouth Stoke
    15 Newcastle
    14 West Brom
    12 Swansea

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I think Clement is a decent manager how he kept Swansea up last season was nothing short of Llorente and Sigurdsson

FYP
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

klose wrote: »
    Yeah it's pretty surprising that clement and Hughes are still in work, especially after how West ham, Everton and Palace turned a corner after binning their managers.

Swansea won't go for Pulis, rightly or wrongly the chairman has built and selected around a possession based game.

Hughes is blessed to be in the job in the first place, he has achieved nothing of note IMHO in his management career

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Swansea won't go for Pulis, rightly or wrongly the chairman has built and selected around a possession based game.

Hughes is blessed to be in the job in the first place, he has achieved nothing of note IMHO in his management career

I think they’d both be a bit reluctant now to change unless they have a catastrophic Xmas as who do they bring in?

Obvious one for Stoke would be Pulis, but that’s like admitting they were wrong to push him out & it’s back to square one for them.

Derek Mcinnes would be a good fit at Swansea for me, but not now half way through the season, be perfect for them to rebuild with the football he plays IMO.

Everton
    Agreed I can't see Swansea do anything other than go down trying to pass the ball. They came up through the divisions and have had a policy with managers of trying to do that. Fair play to them, they've had a really good run and you wouldn't be surprised if they bounced back up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Now that he has saved Everton, they should go for Big Sam. After 2 months there he could join Stoke. Then Newcastle. No one would ever get relegated :pac:

Advertisement