Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Klopp is simply an ordinary manager, he has shown in recent years he doesn’t have the extra needed to make him an elite level manager.

He isn’t a special one, and when he leaves Liverpool in the next 12 months he will find it very hard to get a job.

His tactics are suicidal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Klopp is simply an ordinary manager, he has shown in recent years he doesn’t have the extra needed to make him an elite level manager.

He isn’t a special one, and when he leaves Liverpool in the next 12 months he will find it very hard to get a job.

Start drinking early this morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Past, present, future

And excuse me but what role in this thread?

You said a thing, you have been proven wrong, not for the first time.
    You dismiss it because it does not serve you purpose, not for for the first time.
    You later go on to move the goalposts (and say 'at Liverpool') not for the first time.

As for you role in this thread, if you do not know then far be it from me to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Liverpool
    Bonanza!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Keane had a cracking game, he looks to be improving every year. Can see him moving to a top 6 team sooner rather than later.

• Everton
    You said a thing, you have been proven wrong, not for the first time.
    You dismiss it because it does not serve you purpose, not for for the first time.
    You later go on to move the goalposts (and say 'at Liverpool') not for the first time.

As for you role in this thread, if you do not know then far be it from me to say.

Surely you understand the discussion is about his time managing Liverpool. The game was on last night yes? And Liverpools defence collapsed yes?
    If you believe he's managed to organise his defence in an efficient manner throughout his time at Liverpool then that's your opinion but I'd suspect alot wouldn't agree.

• Everton
    West Ham v Newcastle looks to be the juiciest of the 3pm games
    Is it on the Tele?

• Everton
    Keane had a cracking game, he looks to be improving every year. Can see him moving to a top 6 team sooner rather than later.

And we sold him :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chicken Farmer Joe Allen keeping Hughes in a job.

Huddersfield all over Soton apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton

A manager that won two Bundesligas and got Dortmund to the final is pretty elite. Its not his fault Liverpool is one of the hardest jobs in football.
    Big history but compared to modern super clubs they dont spend that much
    I see him at Bayern next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Liverpool
    Was Fernandinho always that good of a passer?

Everton
    Was Fernandinho always that good of a passer?

Yes

irishman86 wrote: »
    Yes
    He's a vital part of our team. And, like Silva, criminally under-rated by the majority of folk outside of the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

irishman86 wrote: »
    A manager that won two Bundesligas and got Dortmund to the final is pretty elite. Its not his fault Liverpool is one of the hardest jobs in football.
    Big history but compared to modern super clubs they dont spend that much
    I see him at Bayern next season

An elite level manager doesn’t win 3 trophies in 17 years of management.

He is the Arsenal of football managers. Not sure how you figure a manager who has presumably failed at Liverpool, would be given the reins at Bayern.

• Advertisement

Everton
    blueser wrote: »
    He's a vital part of our team. And, like Silva, criminally under-rated by the majority of folk outside of the club

Madness when you think about it

Everton

He is the Arsenal of football managers. Not sure how you figure a manager who has presumably failed at Liverpool, would be given the reins at Bayern.

A manager that manages first of all Dortmund who play in the same league as Bayern and then Liverpool who are behind 4 or 5 clubs
    Who thinks hes failed at Liverpool, i dont i think hes done a good job at a club that is a very long shot to win the league, hes still very respected in Germany for his record at Dortmund, not everyone bases everything on the premier league

Liverpool

Never underrated Silva myself but guilty of it with Fernandinho in a way. Hard worker, but had him as more of a destroyer or engine of the midfield. He has added more creativity to his game this season for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Bayern would definitely take him. Liverpool aren’t exactly a powerhouse financially. Same goes for Dortmund, they were always punching above their weight when they beat Bayern to the title.

Charlie Austin should have been red carded.

Stoke 2-0.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    Just on the idea that Liverpool aren't a financial powerhouse thing, without knowing too much about their finances post Hicks and Gillette, it seems mental to me that they wouldnt be right up there in global terms. With the money washing around the PL it is a major failure if you can't make that club huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Stoke 2-0.

Mark Hughes is going to be extra smug in the post match interview. Pardew meanwhile hasnt added much of a bump to West Brom's fortunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Pardew working his magic

Just on the idea that Liverpool aren't a financial powerhouse thing, without knowing too much about their finances post Hicks and Gillette, it seems mental to me that they wouldnt be right up there in global terms. With the money washing around the PL it is a major failure if you can't make that club huge.

FSG want the club to pay it's own way. Man City are owned by a country who want to run the football world (Guardian article about this plan on a previous page posted by me), Chelsea have spent a load of money and still have done recently but they are now working within a standard budget. Man Utd are very well run and have very deep pockets thanks to 77,000 a week and Woodwards commercial acumen. Arsenal are a funny club one suspects they can push the boat out more than they are willing and Spurs well who knows? Big new stadium could be as much a drag on finances as a boost with the capacity.

:D:D

Nice one Raz. Cracking lay off by Kun as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Benitez saving his job and possibly the sale of the club,2-1 to Newcastle now.

3-1 actually,

Atsu West Ham all fall down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Surely you understand the discussion is about his time managing Liverpool. The game was on last night yes? And Liverpools defence collapsed yes?
    If you believe he's managed to organise his defence in an efficient manner throughout his time at Liverpool then that's your opinion but I'd suspect alot wouldn't agree.
    The defence as a system collapsed or a couple of players made individual errors? Other than replacing them with better players that your hope make less errors , how do you stop a player making a mistake? I highly doubt he coaches then to make mistakes in situations.

GET IN!3-0 now, Kun with a brace. Haven't really got out of second gear today.

Nice one Danilo!

• Advertisement

Everton
    Never underrated Silva myself but guilty of it with Fernandinho in a way. Hard worker, but had him as more of a destroyer or engine of the midfield. He has added more creativity to his game this season for sure.

Not really, he was very creative even previous to signing at City. Maybe you notice it more when they beat teams 4-0 on the regular
    Ask any City fan and hes one of the first names on the sheet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Alli two footed again.

Yellow probably right but he is filthy with a tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Alli two footed again.

Yellow probably right but he is filthy with a tackle.

He just won a penalty with one of those running into the defenders legs efforts. He's rapidly becoming one of the most unlikable players in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Everton
    Did Alli dive for that pen?

Looked like he anticipated contact that never happened and through himself to the ground.

Liverpool
    Hartson definitely a pen now it's Alli is being clever waiting for the leg and running into it.

British players don't dive they are clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Liverpool
    Dive for me, he'd have been sent off too as he got a yellow 4 minutes in.

https://streamable.com/46pbj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Looked like he dived to me.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Everton
    Hate that with the English channels when they won't call out English players for diving

He was "clever"

No he ****ing dived, call it what it was.

Of course the FA will do nothing, he isn't a foreign player from a smaller team.

He just won a penalty with one of those running into the defenders legs efforts. He's rapidly becoming one of the most unlikable players in the league.
    Got to be careful with what I say about him on here, but let's just say I don't think much of him.

• Advertisement

Hartson definitely a pen now it's Alli is being clever waiting for the leg and running into it.

British players don't dive they are clever.

If there is any justice then that is a three game ban, crumpled his leg like he was took but nothing touched him. Maybe he is looking for a nice christmas break.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Hate that with the English channels when they won't call out English players for diving

He was "clever"

No he ****ing dived, call it what it was.

Of course the FA will do nothing, he isn't a foreign player from a smaller team.
    He got slaughtered on MOTD for his "tackle" (loose definition of the word) last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    I’d nearly have praised Alli for his gamesmanship because it’s the type of thing the English national team are lacking in tournaments, but he’s actually just a really nasty and aggressive bloke and I won’t be sorry when he’s on the other end of some aggression down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Liverpool
    Such a massive swing on that decision, he's already on a yellow so if the ref called it correctly it would still be 0-0 and Spurs would be down to 10 men. Instead Spurs still have 11 and are 1-0 up.

I'm sure Burnley will be fine with taking a loss as long as Dele Alli misses the next game against Southampton though :rolleyes:

Everton
    He got slaughtered on MOTD for his "tackle" (loose definition of the word) last weekend.

Yeah but diving is alot different with the media in regards English players.

Liverpool

Ian Wright laughing his head off ahhh Dele he's ok kind of slaughtered yup that really was hard reporting on his nasty ankle breaking tackle.

Kane's not that type of player so his tackle is ok that was great from the MoTD panel.

From Lineker himself on ankle breaking tackles.
    Maybe because the guys played the game and realise these challenges are largely unintentional and generally don’t do too much damage. They both stated that Kane and Alli were lucky not to get red cards. What more do you want? Or is this an Arsenal/Spurs issue you have?

https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/942189226761834497?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.givemesport.com%2F1217741-gary-lineker-reacts-after-motd-is-criticised-for-coverage-of-dele-alli-tackle

• Advertisement

Ian Wright laughing his head off ahhh Dele he's ok kind of slaughtered yup that really was hard reporting on his nasty ankle breaking tackle.

Kane's not that type of player so his tackle is ok that was great from the MoTD panel.

From Lineker himself on ankle breaking tackles.

https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/942189226761834497?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.givemesport.com%2F1217741-gary-lineker-reacts-after-motd-is-criticised-for-coverage-of-dele-alli-tackle
    We all know what Wright said (or, more pertinently, didn't say). But he isn't the sole mouthpiece for MOTD. The other pundit (was it Keown?) said both Kane and Alli deserved to walk for their challenges.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Yeah but diving is alot different with the media in regards English players.

Yep. it is a filthy foreign disease....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    martyos121 wrote: »
    I’d nearly have praised Alli for his gamesmanship because it’s the type of thing the English national team are lacking in tournaments,

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic here or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Liverpool
    Diving is an artform, Alli has come on leaps and bounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It seems to be an epl thing though, this rampant diving. There seems to be a policy of any contact in the box is a foul, regardless of whether it's actually foul play or not. It seems to me like a policy to bump up the goal stats, perhaps encouraged by the TV companies or something, because the referees in the continent, even in Italy & Spain, seem to look for actual fouls not just incidental contact.

• Advertisement
Advertisement