Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Gerrard & Jenas both saying Alli was right to cheat be clever and the defender was stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Gerrard & Jenas both saying Alli was right to cheat be clever and the defender was stupid.

Something along the lines of... Why are you blaming Alli for being clever instead of blaming the defender for being a millisecond late with his tackle and giving Alli the opportunity to "be clever".

I mean it was put to them that Alli is a big strong guy and that was nowhere enough force to take him down, but apparently that doesn't matter anymore. Years and years spent moaning about diving and now it's your right as a striker to throw yourself to the ground the second a defender brushes up against you.

If that is genuinely the opinion of a well respected and recent premier league great like Gerard then the game is in trouble. The amount of people I know who love rugby and hate football will immediately point to stuff like this as to why they'd never watch football, and there is absolutely nothing you can say back to them as there is no defending it. It's actually turning people off the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    That is one of the worst misses of the season by Son

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic here or not?

If you have to ask...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    How many has Kane got now in 2017? The guy is a genius.

Liverpool
    Another hat-trick for Kane.

They are saying that is his 57th goal of 2017 for club and Country that can't be right can it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Reckon he'd start for every team in the world.

Liverpool
    Burnley could have had 5 pens yet got none going by the way they have been given over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    Another hat-trick for Kane.

They are saying that is his 57th goal of 2017 for club and Country that can't be right can it?

Joint top scorer in the world at the moment in 2017, tied with Messi.

Liverpool
    53 goals in 49 games wow.

Messi/Ronnie esk.

No way Spurs keep hold of him in the summer if the don't get CL football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    If they do sell him we're probably talking 300million+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Burnley could have had 5 pens yet got none going by the way they have been given over the last few weeks.

2 decisions by Mr Oliver within a few minutes summed up refereeing standards to me...
    Volks out jumps lloris, incidental contact free out. 2 minutes later, Spurs defender jumps and holds down the Burnley attacker, no foul. IMHO, if the first one is a free, so is the second one, and vise versa, but Spurs get both decisions given their way. Burnley not in the big club gang yet.
    Re the Harry Kane goals, as I said earlier, epl goalscorers stats are being padded by soft penalties, fine player and all though he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    Messi and Ronaldo stats wouldn't be similarly padded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Liverpool
    irishman86 wrote: »
    Not really, he was very creative even previous to signing at City. Maybe you notice it more when they beat teams 4-0 on the regular
    Ask any City fan and hes one of the first names on the sheet

Yeah maybe so man. Highly impressed with him this season anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

February Live TV Games
    Saturday 3rd

Burnley V Man City - Sky 12:30pm
    Arsenal V Everton - BT 5:30pm

Sunday 4th
    Palace V Newcastle - Sky 2:15pm
    Liverpool V Spurs - Sky 4:30pm

Monday 5th
    Watford V Chelsea - Sky 8pm
    Will be moved to 12pm on Sunday if either team have an FA Cup replay

Saturday 10th
    Spurs V Arsenal - BT 12:30pm
    Man City V Leicester - Sky 5:30pm

Sunday 11th
    Huddersfield V Bournemouth - BT 12pm
    Newcastle V Man Utd - Sky 2:15pm
    Southampton V Liverpool - Sky 4:30pm

Monday 12th
    Chelsea V WBA - Sky 8pm

Saturday 24th
    Leicester V Stoke - Sky 12:30
    Watford V Everton - BT 5:30pm

Sunday 25th
    Arsenal V Man City or Man Utd V Chelsea - Sky 2:05pm
    Subject to the EFL Cup Final

Monday 26th
    Palace V Spurs - Sky 8pm
    If either team have an FA Cup replay it will be moved to 12pm on Sunday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Glorious result / hilarious result
    Happy Xmas

Merry Christmas to you too ;)

• Everton
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Merry Christmas ;)

You too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,459 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The League is in a funny place at the moment, all the chasing pack are falling over themselves to drop points leaving City's record breaking antics as the only talking point, which is a bit of a hard sell in light of their spending a billion quid to achieve it.
    Without someone to challenge City the league could be difficult to promote.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

To be fair pretty much the entire league bar spurs is on an expenditure frenzy. The big ones just spending more. So I'm not really seeing how that explains city's massive gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

nullzero wrote: »
    The League is in a funny place at the moment, all the chasing pack are falling over themselves to drop points leaving City's record breaking antics as the only talking point, which is a bit of a hard sell in light of their spending a billion quid to achieve it.
    Without someone to challenge City the league could be difficult to promote.

Why is it a hard sell...nobody else spending big bucks, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chelsea won by 7 points,
    Leicester City by 10,
    Chelsea won by 7 points,
    City by 2 points
    Utd by 11 points
    City on g/d
    Utd by 9 points

So genuinely close fought title races have happened twice in this current decade.

The other thing to note is that Man Utd's winning margins this season have been shrinking, all those late goals against "fodder" earlier arguably gave a false impression of Utd's genuine threat.

°°°°°

fullstop wrote: »

Nobody else is competing, everyone is spending big money, but the value in the transfer market is so poor no one can compete. Even a two horse race is better than one side winning at a canter.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Kevin Palmer saying VVD to Liverpool 90% done after the club's reached agreement on the payment structure of the fee which will reach £70 million.
    That's nuts money for a defender.

https://amp.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool/liverpool-finally-make-a-breakthrough-in-their-pursuit-of-virgil-van-dijk-report-36434315.html?__twitter_impression=true

Liverpool
    Completely crazy money and he’s worth about half that is not less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

More I see of Mata's first the better it gets, berely any backlift and banged right into the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

According to the Sunday World. So it must be true. ;)
    Do John Aldridge & Dennis Irwin still write glorified parody columns for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Lukaku was fantastic today. You have to wonder though if utd had a proper ten *cough* Ozil *cough* would lukaku have been the guy on the finishing end of all the opportunities lukaku was actually creating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rashford is way over hyped.
    He is an appalling finisher under pressure. Runs around like a headless chicken at times too.

Martial much more talented.

Nobody else is competing, everyone is spending big money, but the value in the transfer market is so poor no one can compete. Even a two horse race is better than one side winning at a canter.

I'm sure you'd be happy enough if it was the team you support that was 13 points clear though? City are playing great football and I find them very enjoyable to watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Guardiola - 16 wins in a row with Barca, 17 with City, 19 with Bayern. It's not all about the money.

• Advertisement

Re the Harry Kane goals, as I said earlier, epl goalscorers stats are being padded by soft penalties, fine player and all though he is.

1st penalty they've had in the league all season...

°°°°°

I'm sure you'd be happy enough if it was the team you support that was 13 points clear though? City are playing great football and I find them very enjoyable to watch.

A slightly reductionist way of looking at it.
    As a United fan I can say the hard fought league titles were the sweetest victories. Even our last title in Fergie's final season was a bit of a canter, little did we realize how different things would be from then on.
    City are playing lovely football, but their achievements thus far are like those of all successful sides, they are relative to the competition they're facing.
    I honestly feel the over all quality in the premier league hasn't been great for quite some time, the poor performance of English sides in the champions league perhaps illustrates that the best, where not too long ago English sides regularly performed well in the competition it has been quite some time since they've made any great impression there, although the Champions league is a competition which needs a rethink as the group stages are so uninspired for the most part these days but I digress.
    My point I'm trying, perhaps unsuccessfully to make is that even a little bit more pressure on City would be preferable to a league title secured for the most part before Christmas.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Guardiola - 16 wins in a row with Barca, 17 with City, 19 with Bayern. It's not all about the money.

They are spending in the same market too. Thoae below them inflate the market aa much as anyone, Chelsea & United both spent 70 million on strikers just this past summer so I don't buy into this buying it thing.
    Guardiola is playing essentially all his best players in the current formation & still getting the best out of them. Has has injuries at the back & adapted to it. Brought in Ederson who was just what they needed, meanwhile United brought in Lindeloff for around the same & use him as a squad player same with Drinkwater at Chelsea, Chamberlain at Liverpool. Around 35 million for players who aren't first choice. :confused:
    People need to take a closer look at what those teams are spending on before judging City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

For a team playing such great football and running away with the league - what is worrying is the Eithad itself does not seam to be selling out - plenty of empty seats.

I like Pep and his football , but would also like to see someone challenging

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

My point I'm trying, perhaps unsuccessfully to make is that even a little bit more pressure on City would be preferable to a league title secured for the most part before Christmas.
    55 points out of 57 is something special though... the rest have the expected number of points for their respective positions. Sometimes quality just has to be applauded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everton

Messi, Ronaldo?

Exact same ratio of penalties to goals, give or take. If not more, considering the likelihood of Madrid/Barca earning penalties is higher than Spurs

Ronaldo has scored almost 20% of his Madrid career goals via penalties, Messi probably about 15% I think, Kane the same as the latter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Kevin Palmer saying VVD to Liverpool 90% done after the club's reached agreement on the payment structure of the fee which will reach £70 million.
    That's nuts money for a defender.

https://amp.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool/liverpool-finally-make-a-breakthrough-in-their-pursuit-of-virgil-van-dijk-report-36434315.html?__twitter_impression=true

Liverpool need a defender who can organise things. If he can add a bit of composure to the backline then that would be £70m well spent.

Personally I think it's mad money but John Stones was £50m two years ago and the market is even crazier now.

VVD won't solve Liverpools defensive problems alone.

A proper defensive midfielder is badly needed too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    VVD won't solve Liverpools defensive problems alone.

A proper defensive midfielder is badly needed too.

GK needed before a DM.

Good to see Charlie Austin charged with his attempted GBH on the Huddersfield keeper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    MD1990 wrote: »
    GK needed before a DM.

A proper GK and Liverpool would be up about 6-8 pts this season far more important than a DM. Its criminal that mignolet has been in goal for 5 seasons now.

Liverpool
    Garry Monk back to Swansea maybe.

Garry Monk back to Swansea maybe.

Chatter sez that's why he got binned by Steve Gibson - an undisclosed inquiry by Monk.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Glorious result / hilarious result
    Happy Xmas

That karma is some biatch, huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    That made my Christmas :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal

Isn't there some crazy stat in the states about the amount of nba and nfl stars who are bankrupt within a few years of retiring. It's definetly a bigger problem among the black community maybe due to the fact they find it harder to get tv roles or coaching roles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Liverpool
    It is in part, if you listen to some of the players, to do with having enormous families back home living off them and communities that act like leeches when they've a successful player from the village

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool
    That karma is some biatch, huh?

I tried to quote Micks post but can't seem to find it.

So either I'm being silly or Mick had major regrets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Isn't there some crazy stat in the states about the amount of nba and nfl stars who are bankrupt within a few years of retiring. It's definetly a bigger problem among the black community maybe due to the fact they find it harder to get tv roles or coaching roles.

There was a mass debate recently about the 'coaching roles' aspect of black people, but the TV roles? I heard no such thing. I could name plenty.

To me his skin colour has nothing to do with it, he blatantly says he was stupid with money, so I don't see how that has anything to do with a tv/coaching role.

Keith Gillespie was stupid with money, he doesn't appear on tv roles

Advertisement