Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    There was a mass debate recently about the 'coaching roles' aspect of black people, but the TV roles? I heard no such thing. I could name plenty.

To me his skin colour has nothing to do with it, he blatantly says he was stupid with money, so I don't see how that has anything to do with a tv/coaching role.

Keith Gillespie was stupid with money, he doesn't appear on tv roles

I was talking more about the culture in the states rather than specifically to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    VVD won't solve Liverpools defensive problems alone.

A proper defensive midfielder is badly needed too.

Liverpool are trying to play in a similar way to City but with one less defender and as you alluded to, less defensively minded midfielders. It’s fun to watch but reckless.

Their goal scoring record is great but if they were actually a better team, they’d probably have less goals scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,868 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Liverpool are trying to play in a similar way to City but with one less defender and as you alluded to, less defensively minded midfielders. It’s fun to watch but reckless.

I know Klopp said 'heavy metal football' but to me Liverpool are punk. They're the Pistols to City's Led Zeppelin...

Decent game at Wembley so far. Two bad goalkeepers can always make for good entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Liverpool
    Loris is in the top 3 goalkeepers in the league

• Advertisement

What a lovely goal that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Southamptons defending is so bad.

I get annoyed at the lads when we play astro when one or two quick interchanges has them watching the ball with men running free around the box but **** me I'm watching professional footballers on 50 grand a week doing the same here.

Liverpool
    FairPlay to Kane. Great record to break

That's a great ball . A good first touch and that was 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭klose

More goals than Messi and Ronaldo this year, what a fcuking player. Southampton looking beyond sh!te, pellegrino next for the block?

• Advertisement

Is the record most premiership or league goals in a calendar year?

Great achievement either way

Where is VVD today for Southampton?

Is the record most premiership or league goals in a calendar year?

Great achievement either way

Shearers one is pl afaik.
    All goals, clubs and country , is the way sky are showing it. For the overall, with messi, Ronaldo comparison.

Personally I'm not a big fan of using international stats to add to club ones, especially with talk of things like messi never winning the wc etc . There's nothing a player can do about being from a country that isn't a top tier power ( Argentina are obviously up there but look at the likes of best, rush, Keane, giggs etc)

Shearers one is pl afaik.
    All goals, clubs and country , is the way sky are showing it.

Cool. Must google to see if he holds the all time record pre Sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    That is shearers calendar pl record destroyed along with van nisteltoy, van persi, handball Henry's too.
    Not bad for a one season wonder.

My stream froze but the guy on sky were saying son was pushed over so another pen we didn't get this season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Doubt it, Dixie Dean got about 400 in the black and white era.

Highly doubt it tbh. I seem to remember stupid figures from around the 20s 30s 40s ( reading about them I mean, I'm not as old as Harry:) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

He's been left out of the squad. Safe to say, he won't be at Southampton on Feb 1st.

Liverpool
    Kane's on 55 for club and country this year. Record is Messi with 91. English record is Dixie Dean with 62 in 1927. That season is almost definitely the league record goals too as he scored 60 in a season 27/28

Problem for Kane now is, does he stay at spurs and win goalscoring awards and potentially not much else . Tend to agree with a few of the pundits over the last couple of months , this season could very well be **** or get off the pot for spurs, and the league is gone.......

• Advertisement

Problem for Kane now is, does he stay at spurs and win goalscoring awards and potentially not much else . Tend to agree with a few of the pundits over the last couple of months , this season could very well be **** or get off the pot for spurs, and the league is gone.......

He needs to leave to win consistent trophies.City obviously look the best bet in that department atm.

The other english teams aren't much better than Spurs. They'll pay better wages but aren't gauranteed silverware.

Madrid maybe.

blueser wrote: »
    He's been left out of the squad. Safe to say, he won't be at Southampton on Feb 1st.

Risky enough not to play him. Lots of points to play for around Christmas; could cost them PL football. Of course he probably doesn’t want to play also. Combined with him missing the first few games of the season Liverpool have really f**cked over Southampton.

Shane Long may never score a goal again.

Risky enough not to play him. Lots of points to play for around Christmas; could cost them PL football. Of course he probably doesn’t want to play also. Combined with him missing the first few games of the season Liverpool have really f**cked over Southampton.

He'll go to City if they come in with an offer. No brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Not for a second did you think Long would punish them there when he got through.
    Southampton have been poor which is to be expected as I've not been impressed with them much this season. A team that if they stay up will have more to do with the teams below them than their own quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Soton falling apart, here.

When Spurs are good, they’re very, very good.

Why the **** is Hoedt backing off watching alli when there were 2 other defenders in front of him. He completely left son to run free in to the box. That's just bad,. You genuinely can't pay someone enough to do simple stuff properly it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Pellegrino might be getting his jotters after this. What is it 1 win in last 11? Look a right rabble.

• Advertisement

Southampton on the sauce yesterday!

Not far from relegation places now

Man City
    4 nil I feel horrible for Shane long.
    Hopefully he gets to play every game with Austin out and finds his shooting boots asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

davycc wrote: »
    Hopefully he gets to play every game with Austin out and finds his shooting boots asap

I'd say hes done in January as a PL player, Gabbiadini probably head home to Italy aswell. Southampton need strikers desperately.

You'd think if there is anything the the Dembele to Brighton stuff, Southampton should be trying to hijack that.

davycc wrote: »

I know his record is very poor going back a while, but it also should be noted that in the last while he seems to only play/start in all the tough away games.

Near post. Tut tut Hugo.

• Advertisement

If there is one time to produce a goalkeeping howler it's when you're 4-0 up.

Bridge93 wrote: »

He used to be competing with DeGea for best. He is some way behind DeGea and Ederson now.

And there it is. He makes as many mistakes as any keeper in the league.

Great ball and a great finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If Mane could only take some lessons from Kane!

• Advertisement

Man City
    Feck sake Hugo! Harry Kane gets a consolation hatrick

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Perfect hat-trick from Kane. Fupping legend :P

Liverpool
    And there it is. He makes as many mistakes as any keeper in the league.

You said he's a poor keeper. He's not. You know little about goalkeeping if you think he's a poor goalkeeper

All that good work to get themselves down the wing ( reckon long shpuld have swung it in first time after he clipped it down the wing) and they end up back at the centre half.

Teddy was 108 when he set that spurs record though. A youngfella shoild be able to beat it handy :)

You said he's a poor keeper. He's not. You know little about goalkeeping if you think he's a poor goalkeeper

The decline is noticeable. Still well above average but not what he once was.

pjohnson wrote: »

He's definitely been fairly ropey this season on a few occasions.

Liverpool
    pjohnson wrote: »

I'd agree. He was the best in the league with De Gea by a country mile a few years ago. Well behind De Gea now and maybe Ederson but need to see him a bit more over a longer period. Would have him and courtois next

Liverpool
    To think there were fans who claimed Lukaku was as good as Kane during the summer

When Kane is on form, Spurs really are a different animal. They suffer when he goes on a barren spell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement