Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Could be a goal fest in tonight's game....all one way too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    That lies!
    Both needed a season to get the team they wanted, hell Jose had a better first season at United, but Peps class shone through dropping the dead weight eg Navas Clichy etc. Both got the transfers they wanted just simply Pep a better manager

Uh so much stupid right here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    irishman86 wrote: »

Anything in particular? Your go to is to call things stupid when you don't agree, unfortunately you don't seem to have the capacity to put up any sort of decent argument. It's all just stupid :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'm fairly certain mourinho knows his comments are laughably rubbish and uses em as a way to deflect from his teams result.
    Not many today are talking about a bad 2 points dripped at home, the majority are talking about his post match comments and delving into old interviews and facts to show them to be the bullsh!it they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Liverpool

What point is stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

So much for the marketing line of 'no easy games in the Premier League'. It has been well and truly destroyed this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

SlickRic wrote: »
    So much for the marketing line of 'no easy games in the Premier League' has been well and truly destroyed this season.

It's starting to get very boring for neutrals. I switched off the Liverpool game after 10 mins. It was obvious that the game was going to be a stroll in the park for Liverpool. Man City will beat Newcastle tonight. Palace will give Arsenal a run for their money tomorrow night, I hope. I watched the Brentford v Villa game last night and there wasn't much between those two sides and the bottom ten in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pep said in his press con on Monday that he hadn't seen any of Newcastle yet and would watch them over the next day or so. Perhaps a slight glimmer for Rafa to sting them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Anything in particular? Your go to is to call things stupid when you don't agree, unfortunately you don't seem to have the capacity to put up any sort of decent argument. It's all just stupid :rolleyes:

Also strangely defensive of man utd at all times for a "neutral".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Jose got what he wanted from those comments and again everyone falls for it.

No one is talking about the result they talking about everything but the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Berserker wrote: »
    It's starting to get very boring for neutrals. I switched off the Liverpool game after 10 mins. It was obvious that the game was going to be a stroll in the park for Liverpool. Man City will beat Newcastle tonight. Palace will give Arsenal a run for their money tomorrow night, I hope. I watched the Brentford v Villa game last night and there wasn't much between those two sides and the bottom ten in the PL.

To be fair Liverpool have only won 50% of their league games so they're hardly that predictably good.

City being stupidly efficient is the main reason the league lacks excitement now.

Same in most of Europe. City Bayern Barca and PSG should advance to a super league now and let the others battle out their respective leagues without them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Berserker wrote: »
    I watched the Brentford v Villa game last night and there wasn't much between those two sides and the bottom ten in the PL.

Yup.

Why do you think teams are coming up from the Championship, not spending much, and managing to stay in the PL? Because there is the top 6, then everyone else. The top 6 are fighting a different fight to the rest, who could largely be interchanged with the better Championship sides.

Brighton and Huddersfield are holding their own. Huddersfield weren't even really great last year. And didn't do much in the summer to make you think they'd improved massively.

Yet here we are.

Bournemouth have had no issues staying in the PL for a couple of seasons, despite not killing their budget.

It's not a great league at all outside the 6 main teams.

Everton

Peps class shining true :rolleyes:
    Seriously the lad spent 300million and got rid of players who a blind man could see werent good enough and they were out of contract.
    Cop on lads, like i said so much stupid

Everton
    fullstop wrote: »
    Also strangely defensive of man utd at all times for a "neutral".

It wasnt related to United, it was the Pep part
    Where did i defend United, you are right i didnt you are just making up stuff

Seriously the lad spent 300million and got rid of players who a blind man could see werent good enough and they were out of contract.

And Mourinho spent £286m. How much did Burnley spend, seeing as his team couldn't beat them at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    Jose got what he wanted from those comments and again everyone falls for it.

No one is talking about the result they talking about everything but the result.

Well they are talking about how far they are behind city. Would his ego allow him for him to look like a fool to cover for his players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And Mourinho spent £286m. How much did Burnley spend, seeing as his team couldn't beat them at home?

This kinda logic is baffling.

Liverpool

What did Everton spend and they were near the bottom not so long ago, money spent doesn't mean much if he can't get the team gel together, he has them playing his tactics and style.
    Playing down Pep's achievement is beyond stupid.
    Hope Santa bought ya plenty of toys as I'd say you must have thrown rest of them out of the pram by now.

pjohnson wrote: »
    This kinda logic is baffling.

Not particularly. If he can't beat Burnley at home, whose record signing is Chris Wood(?), then he has no business implying he hasn't been able to spend enough money on the squad when he's spent the guts of £300m.

• Advertisement

Not particularly. If he can't beat Burnley at home, whose record signing is Chris Wood(?), then he has no business implying he hasn't been able to spend enough money on the squad when he's spent the guts of £300m.
    See above post. Money spent isn't worth a shïte. Leicester won the league spending a little. QPR spent a fortune and got relegated. Its almost like this is a team game not a game of monopoly.

Everton

Why are you talking about United, i dont think Jose is a genius for signing known class players, but Pep somehow is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Former Chelsea and City player and Ballon d'Or winner George Weah has been elected President of Liberia.

pjohnson wrote: »
    See above post. Money spent isn't worth a shïte. Leicester won the league spending a little. QPR spent a fortune and got relegated. Its almost like this is a team game not a game of monopoly.

"It is not enough". So why is it not enough then? Is he basically admitting he is a limited manager and needs to outspend Pep to beat him?

Everton
    What did Everton spend and they were near the bottom not so long ago, money spent doesn't mean much if he can't get the team gel together, he has them playing his tactics and style.
    Playing down Pep's achievement is beyond stupid.
    Hope Santa bought ya plenty of toys as I'd say you must have thrown rest of them out of the pram by now.

I dont play down his achievement, i dont think its his class shining through because he went out and signed top players and didnt renew average players contracts
    Pep is doing a fine job and plays great football

Why are you talking about United,

*Looks at thread title* General Premier League Thread 2017/2018

:rolleyes:

"It is not enough". So why is it not enough then? Is he basically admitting he is a limited manager and needs to outspend Pep to beat him?

No he is saying the squad is shïte so he needs replacements? Pep will spend to stay top of the pack. Why are people suddenly astounded that managers pay to improve their squads.

Everton
    *Looks at thread title* General Premier League Thread 2017/2018

:rolleyes:

Oh i forgot everything gets brought back to United, i forgot the rules
    :(

Liverpool

United and City are the most comparable teams. Top managers spending top €€€ and both expecting a top finish. I'd find it strange if they weren't compared tbh.

• Advertisement

Sorry didn't mean to talk about your fave team :(

Liverpool
    I dont play down his achievement, i dont think its his class shining through because he went out and signed top players and didnt renew average players contracts
    Pep is doing a fine job and plays great football

Put you are,you swear he bought Messi and Ronaldo he gutted the team and bought very well.' Pep doing a fine job' come on he's 12 points ahead with a game in hand and 48+ goal difference, favs for the CL.

Everton
    United and City are the most comparable teams. Top managers spending top €€€ and both expecting a top finish. I'd find it strange if they weren't compared tbh.

That would hold weight if it was consistent though
    United are the team compared for every team why not City
    Which top team has not spent money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Turtwig wrote: »
    Pep said in his press con on Monday that he hadn't seen any of Newcastle yet and would watch them over the next day or so. Perhaps a slight glimmer for Rafa to sting them?
    Both he and Vinnie have warned against complacency in these past few days. I hope we go out and treat Newcastle with the respect they deserve. Play the game on its merits. Respect Newcastle, but don't fear them. Go out at St James' Park thinking we've only got to turn up to win and we could end up getting our arses kicked.

Everton
    Sorry didn't mean to talk about your fave team :(

Its ok you didnt mention Marseille or even Arsenal
    Just another thing you got wrong

Everton
    Put you are,you swear he bought Messi and Ronaldo he gutted the team and bought very well.' Pep doing a fine job' come on he's 12 points ahead with a game in hand and 48+ goal difference, favs for the CL.

Gutted the team :rolleyes:
    You realise odds work with idiots backing a team, it isnt who the bookies think will win its where the money is being put
    Hence why Liverpool always have low odds when in reality they have 1% chance of winning
    As for Messi/Ronaldo part, you would swear he grabbed these unknown players and molded them into superstars
    Well spotted Pep, i never would have thought Walker was the best fb in the league :P

• Advertisement

Arsenal
    You realise odds work with idiots backing a team, it isnt who the bookies think will win its where the money is being put
    Hence why Liverpool always have low odds when in reality they have 1% chance of winning

So your telling me there is a chance.

Liverpool
    That would hold weight if it was consistent though
    United are the team compared for every team why not City
    Which top team has not spent money?

I can't make any sense of that first sentence.

Everton
    I can't make any sense of that first sentence.

Have a read back through the thread and you will see every club gets compared to United not just City. I have no problem comparing the clubs if i'm honest. I think they are both doing a good job just Pep has got his team flowing faster
    Next season if Jose does it, will Pep get the same abuse? the answer is he wont

Liverpool
    Have a read back through the thread and you will see every club gets compared to United not just City. I have no problem comparing the clubs if i'm honest. I think they are both doing a good job just Pep has got his team flowing faster
    Next season if Jose does it, will Pep get the same abuse? the answer is he wont

I think Jose puts himself forward for more criticism in the way he conducts his interviews. He was the same at Chelsea so it's not a United thing.

Everton
    I think Jose puts himself forward for more criticism in the way he conducts his interviews. He was the same at Chelsea so it's not a United thing.

I agree with that, do you feel Pep does nothing wrong, what about Southampton for example
    I think they are both arrogant men just in different ways (Rightfully so)

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    I agree with that, do you feel Pep does nothing wrong, what about Southampton for example

Of course not.

Arsenal

If your top you get away with saying whatever you want. When Jose was top at Chelsea he got away with it.

Everton
    Of course not.

Do you feel he gets away with more than Jose might be the better question?
    I do
    This isnt a new thing, i felt the same at Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Why are you talking about United, i dont think Jose is a genius for signing known class players, but Pep somehow is

No... Pep is a genius in how he gets those amazing players to be even better than they were, and more importantly to play together in a way that makes them even better than the already considerable sum of their parts. He made a great team out of great players, playing great football. Something quite a lot of managers fail to do when given the chance.

Everton
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    No... Pep is a genius in how he gets those amazing players to be even better than they were, and more importantly to play together in a way that makes them even better than the already considerable sum of their parts. He made a great team out of great players, playing great football. Something quite a lot of managers fail to do when given the chance.

I disagree, i feel he isnt a genius in any terms

Liverpool
    As for Messi/Ronaldo part, you would swear he grabbed these unknown players and molded them into superstars
    Well spotted Pep, i never would have thought Walker was the best fb in the league :P

What are you talking about, the odds aren't there because people back them, there are based on the lightly outcome , the odds will come in and out if there is a bets placed but to move a market like the CL would be massive bet and even at that I doubt there would be much movement in such a major tournament.
    City are favourites on merit and there draw in the league , Liverpool have 1% chance at least put a realistic number.
    Your post only proves your deluded on betting and football.
    There's better Rb thought could have been got than Walker.

I disagree, i feel he isnt a genius in any terms

Well, genius is a very subjective term. But best manager in the game currently.

Liverpool
    Do you feel he gets away with more than Jose might be the better question?
    I do
    This isnt a new thing, i felt the same at Barca

Not really but if Jose gets it worse I think it's because he brings it on himself.

Not really but if Jose gets it worse I think it's because he brings it on himself.

Indeed... I used to actually really like him at one stage, but over the past 6 or so years he's become pretty insufferable. Then once it came to how he dealt with the Eva Carneiro situation, I lost all time for him. It's one thing when you're creating drama to deflect from performances, it's another when you're actively affecting peoples professions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

SlickRic wrote: »
    It's not a great league at all outside the 6 main teams.

I agree. Unlike the PL, the championship is a very competitive league. All three newly promoted clubs have never managed to stay up but I think and hope that all three will do so this season. Huddersfield have surprised me most. As you noted, they struggled against good footballing teams last season. Some of my family are Fulham fans and they destroyed them home and away, 9-1 on aggregate, if I remember correctly. Given the fact that the PL is supposed to be a higher standard of football, I thought that they'd struggle the most but they are within 15 points of safety and they haven't spent that much, by PL standards. The struggles of the relegated clubs tell us quite a bit about also. Sunderland are in dire straits, Hull will probably finish mid table and Boro look like the only team who have a shot of getting into the play offs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement