Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Not really but if Jose gets it worse I think it's because he brings it on himself.

I don't think Jose gets it bad at all. He says so many things that are so transperantly false on purpose, so the media will talk about how crazy Jose was to say such a thing etc, etc, great copy and all that, rather than ask him tough questions about his own responsibilities and failings.

He's a genius at manipulating the narrative after a game: say something obviously mental after a game, watch the media marvel at how crazy this weeks Jose quotes were, have them distracted and looking the other way, yesterday was a prime example. He knows exactly what he's at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    Arghus wrote: »
    I don't think Jose gets it bad at all. He says so many things that are so transperantly false on purpose, so the media will talk about how crazy Jose was so say such a thing etc, etc, great copy and all that, rather than ask him tough questions about his own responsibilities and failings.

He's a genius at manipulating the narrative after a game: say something obviously mental after a game, watch the media marvel at how crazy this weeks Jose quotes were, have them distracted and looking the other way, yesterday was a prime example. He knows exactly what he's at.

I agree, my post was poor. I don't think he gets it worse, I think that the criticisms of Jose are justified and due to his conduct during interviews it is more apparent. He causes issues for himself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    What are you talking about, the odds aren't there because people back them, there are based on the lightly outcome , the odds will come in and out if there is a bets placed but to move a market like the CL would be massive bet and even at that I doubt there would be much movement in such a major tournament.
    City are favourites on merit and there draw in the league , Liverpool have 1% chance at least put a realistic number.
    Your post only proves your deluded on betting and football.
    There's better Rb thought could have been got than Walker.

Liverpool havent won the league in what 27 years 1% is accurate enough
    Who exactly is a better rb than Walker........Trippier :pac: (Not aimed at you, i remember having this conversation before)

Everton
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Well, genius is a very subjective term. But best manager in the game currently.

I dont agree with that either, i'd personally prefer Conte or Mourinho but each to there own
    Put Klopp in charge of that City team and it would tear teams apart aswell
    I think hes a good manager in charge of the best squad

Liverpool
    Dave Azpilicuata wouldn't be far wide of the mark. Fantastic player and has proven himself across the whole back line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

irishman86 wrote: »
    Who exactly is a better rb than Walker........Trippier :pac: (Not aimed at you, i remember having this conversation before)
    A significant portion of Spurs fans were adamant that Trippier was a better RB than Walker.

Liverpool
    Jose would be far down my list of managers I'd want. He's a great manager but a ticking time bomb just waiting to go off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Liverpool

1% are you crazy.

SSN reporting that Liverpool and Southampton have agreed a £75m (yep, £75m) fee for Van Dijk. Wow. I can't wait to see Mourinho's reaction. Or his unofficial mouthpiece Duncan Castles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Can't be true. Klopp said he wouldn't pay inflated prices even if he had the money. Unless he was talking cr@p of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

80 million for a centre back, Liverpool fans crawling under rocks everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Could be the final piece of the puzzle for Liverpool in fairness. If they manage to sign a defensive midfielder next season you'd fancy them to at least challenge for the title. Not sure if Keita is a Coutinho replacement though.

Liverpool
    Lukker- wrote: »
    Could be the final piece of the puzzle for Liverpool in fairness. If they manage to sign a defensive midfielder next season you'd fancy them to at least challenge for the title. Not sure if Keita is a Coutinho replacement though.

Need a new keeper too...

Everton
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Jose would be far down my list of managers I'd want. He's a great manager but a ticking time bomb just waiting to go off.

Its funny, i wouldnt want Pep for a stupid enough reason to. That he can only do three seasons before he gets bored :pac:

I remember the sh**storm when we paid 50m for Stones and Walker. I presume Liverpool will get the same flak we got?

• Advertisement

Everton
    1% are you crazy.

I felt 0.5% would get the Liverpool fans in a uproar :pac:

Its funny, i wouldnt want Pep for a stupid enough reason to. That he can only do three seasons before he gets bored :pac:
    Same as Mourinho. He never hangs around in one place for too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

blueser wrote: »
    I remember the sh**storm when we paid 50m for Stones and Walker. I presume Liverpool will get the same flak we got?

No as the media Loverpool and hate City and their Arab petro dollars ;)

and that Liverpool run a pretty tight ship - it sounds huge it is huge but also means the current first choice back line cost a total of 88 million. City paid about 200m for theirs (and that's on top of a previous generation of very expensive duds)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool

It's £70 Rayne but don't let that ruin a good dig ;)

Liverpool

Without a doubt they will. Same as United got for Lukaku and Pogba.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

emmetkenny wrote: »
    It's £70 Rayne but don't let that ruin a good dig ;)

Both wrong. £75 million widely being reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

SSN reporting that Liverpool and Southampton have agreed a £75m (yep, £75m) fee for Van Dijk. Wow. I can't wait to see Mourinho's reaction. Or his unofficial mouthpiece Duncan Castles.

Yet you dont seem to be outraged at all. Odd how some clubs dont get criticised spending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Have a read back through the thread and you will see every club gets compared to United not just City. I have no problem comparing the clubs if i'm honest. I think they are both doing a good job just Pep has got his team flowing faster
    Next season if Jose does it, will Pep get the same abuse? the answer is he wont

Pep got plenty of flack last season when the team weren't performing so that's another thing you've got wrong...

Liverpool

There you are with your "stupid" again, hard to kick that habit ;)

They should aswell make all transfer fees undisclosed. Fee's are literally worthless nowadays.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yet you dont seem to be outraged at all. Odd how some clubs dont get criticised spending.
    I'm in no position to be outraged.
    A. It's not my club
    B. It's not my money
    C. After the money we've spent on defenders (though not that much!), I can't really say anything

Anyhow; I wish him well. Once the middle of january has passed, of course!

Liverpool
    adox wrote: »
    Both wrong. £75 million widely being reported.

You are right. Telegraph says £75m, I had read yesterday that Liverpool bid £70 and City £60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Klopp has spent about 20M on the defence since he arrived just over 2 years ago. I don't have a problem with him spending big on a player he really wants in that area of the pitch. His signings so far have been pretty good so I think most everyone will back his judgement while acknowledging that it is a lot of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's Barcelona's money anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    Can't be true. Klopp said he wouldn't pay inflated prices even if he had the money. Unless he was talking cr@p of course.

It's not an inflated price. City were willing to pay more or less the same. You pay for quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Liverpool

Yeah nothing more embarrassing than your club signing a good and much needed player :confused:

I don't really get why VVD is worth £75m, that said, Conte, Pep and Klopp all wanted him and they know more about football than I do

niallo27 wrote: »
    It's not an inflated price. City were willing to pay more or less the same. You pay for quality.

Of course its inflated. All bloody fees these days are.

I doubt we were prepared to go that high. But we'll never know now. Shooting off at somewhat of a tangent, does this make Coutinho's exit more likely now (to balance the books)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Can't wait for van dijks quality to quickly diminish over the next coming days before he even laces his boot for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    75m :pac:

Madness. I can imagine Pool are paying a few more pounds after being caught with their hands in the cookie jar in the summer.

Of course it is. Liverpool were about to sign him for £60m in the summer, but someone at Liverpool leaked it to the press and So'ton called the deal off and reported Liverpool.

Now his value is gone up £15m after a bang average half season where he has spent the majority of it sulking?

I doubt we were prepared to go that high. But we'll never know now. Shooting off at somewhat of a tangent, does this make Coutinho's exit more likely now (to balance the books)?

I don't think the 2 were linked. Coutinho won't be going anywhere til the end of the season. It'd be pointless really, he'd only be able to play La Liga games and frankly, they have that wrapped up already essentially.

Liverpool
    I don't really get why VVD is worth £75m, that said, Conte, Pep and Klopp all wanted him and they know more about football than I do

We dodged a bullet not signing Van Djik in the summer, IMO.

Even the price in the summer was a PL to PL inflated transfer. If he came from abroad he'd have cost considerably less. At least Klopps is finally addressing their main issues. A new GK now and they'll push on to fight for the titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I’d be holding off on calling him an answer to problems until he’s played a bit, very possible that the defensive problems at Liverpool aren’t all down to a couple of players, even though they try their hardest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Liverpool
    It's crazy money, I hope it works out but I'm not very optimistic. At least it's sorted now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I'm not sure how good Van Dijk really is, time will tell. But if he does have a big impact on Liverpools defence, then why is spending that on a defender any different than spending it on a striker or a midfielder? Arguably, in this age, good defenders are a rarer commodity than midfielders or strikers.

I’d be holding off on calling him an answer to problems until he’s played a bit, very possible that the defensive problems at Liverpool aren’t all down to a couple of players, even though they try their hardest.

I think lack of cover from the midfield is part of it. Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum offer no protection to the back 4. All Henderson is good for honestly is chasing people. No one is tactically or positionally smart enough, and that exposes the defence loads. They need a Kante type player.

I'm not sure how good Van Dijk really is, time will tell. But if he does have a big impact on Liverpools defence, then why is spending that on a defender any different than spending it on a striker or a midfielder? Arguably, in this age, good defenders are a rarer commodity than midfielders or strikers.

Good CB's and no.9's have always been the rarest commodity imo.

I don't think the 2 were linked. Coutinho won't be going anywhere til the end of the season. It'd be pointless really, he'd only be able to play La Liga games and frankly, they have that wrapped up already essentially.
    Apologies. I didn't make my thinking clear. I have no doubt that Coutinho will be staying put in january. But if Barca come back in for him in the summer, it'll be hard to shoo them away a second time. Particularly if the player wants the move.

• Advertisement

• Everton
    Benzino wrote: »
    It's crazy money, I hope it works out but I'm not very optimistic. At least it's sorted now.

I assume you mean the saga is sorted? Not so sure about the defence being sorted tho. Crazy money.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I assume you mean the saga is sorted? Not so sure about the defence being sorted tho. Crazy money.

It's all crazy money at the moment though. Plus Liverpool are paying a premium to beat City to his signature and repair the damage done with Southampton in the summer.

I doubt he will solve all of Liverpool's problems but at least it's a good step in the right direction.

Liverpool
    Newcastle will get a result tonight against City I reckon.

Just got a feeling they'll stop them winning... that or City will win 5-0.

:o

• Everton
    It's all crazy money at the moment though. Plus Liverpool are paying a premium to beat City to his signature and repair the damage done with Southampton in the summer.

I doubt he will solve all of Liverpool's problems but at least it's a good step in the right direction.

I suppose it's city and the January transfer market setting the precednace.
    Is it a record signing for a defender? Something tells me it's close.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I suppose it's city and the January transfer market setting the precednace.
    Is it a record signing for a defender? Something tells me it's close.

Yeah a record signing for a defender, eclipsing the 54 million City paid for Kyle Walker.

Selling Coutinho in the summer will balance the books on this one anyway. I don't think Liverpool would have paid it without the knowledge that there is a large transfer fee in the offing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement