Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Man City
    blueser wrote: »
    A significant portion of Spurs fans were adamant that Trippier was a better RB than Walker.

Check any Spurs message board and that’s not accurate. Walker is a far better player than Trippier. The thing is that in 2-3 years, when Walker loses some pace, he’s ****ed. His pace covers a lot of mistakes.

Aurier, who is a liability right now, may well prove to be as good as Walker.

• Everton
    Yeah a record signing for a defender, eclipsing the 54 million City paid for Kyle Walker.

Selling Coutinho in the summer will balance the books on this one anyway. I don't think Liverpool would have paid it without the knowledge that there is a large transfer fee in the offing.
    Well I'd hope they do sell him. I'd be slightly concerned as a rival if Liverpool turn a corner and manage to get him to stay being honest.

What's annoying me about Kyle Walker is he's steadily improving under Pep where I originally thought he wouldn't.

It's up to Klopp to do the same with Van dyk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Yeah a record signing for a defender, eclipsing the 54 million City paid for Kyle Walker.

Selling Coutinho in the summer will balance the books on this one anyway. I don't think Liverpool would have paid it without the knowledge that there is a large transfer fee in the offing.
    Apologies. I didn't make my thinking clear. I have no doubt that Coutinho will be staying put in january. But if Barca come back in for him in the summer, it'll be hard to shoo them away a second time. Particularly if the player wants the move.

I think the fact they were close to signing him in the summer before the Coutinho to Barca rumours kicked off shows that the selling of Coutinho was a separate unrelated issue. I believe the money made selling Coutinho will probably be used to sign a replacement. I don't know if they consider Naby Keita a replacement or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Liverpool
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I assume you mean the saga is sorted? Not so sure about the defence being sorted tho. Crazy money.

Yeah the saga, we still need a GK, another CB (Matip injury prone, Lovern not good enough) and a DM but I think Keita is the closest Klopp will get to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Well I'd hope they do sell him. I'd be slightly concerned as a rival if Liverpool turn a corner and manage to get him to stay being honest.

What's annoying me about Kyle Walker is he's steadily improving under Pep where I originally thought he wouldn't.

It's up to Klopp to do the same with Van dyk

Klopp & Pep improve players. Mourinho hasn't been doing this at Man Utd

• Everton
    MD1990 wrote: »

What does Jose or man utd have to do with this conversation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    75m :pac:

Madness. I can imagine Pool are paying a few more pounds after being caught with their hands in the cookie jar in the summer.

January as well though. We all know you can get a player a bit cheaper in the Summer.

If he can stop Liverpool defense looking very shaky then it'll be money well spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    What does Jose or man utd have to do with this conversation?

They're a premiership team. You're very defensive, chill out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mod: Cut out the irrelevant stuff. It's annoying.

• Everton
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    They're a premiership team. You're very defensive, chill out.

No I'm not. It just has no relation to what I was discussing with someone else about Kyle Walker and van dyk.
    You seem to be going out of your way to have a go at me. That's fairly obvious.

• Advertisement

Mod: Cut out the irrelevant stuff. It's annoying.

It is called the General Premier League Thread so nothing irrelevant about comparing managers.

Not my fault if it annoyed some posters.

This gets trumpeted, but it's not really true. If you suit his system he'll help your game. Look at Lingard, he's a different player under Mourinho.

It is called the General Premier League Thread so nothing irrelevant about comparing managers.

it's irrelevant because it had nothing to do with the post you quoted, and was just sniping.

• Everton
    Benzino wrote: »
    Yeah the saga, we still need a GK, another CB (Matip injury prone, Lovern not good enough) and a DM but I think Keita is the closest Klopp will get to that.

What could be evident is that the owners may have been the the initial issue for Klopp spend wise but it's odd for them to suddenly let go that amount of money. He must have challenged the board big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    No I'm not. It just has no relation to what I was discussing with someone else about Kyle Walker and van dyk.
    You seem to be going out of your way to have a go at me. That's fairly obvious.

You need a break from the internet if you think that's having a go :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Lukker- wrote: »
    I think the fact they were close to signing him in the summer before the Coutinho to Barca rumours kicked off shows that the selling of Coutinho was a separate unrelated issue. I believe the money made selling Coutinho will probably be used to sign a replacement. I don't know if they consider Naby Keita a replacement or not.

If Klopp see's Coutinho as part of a midfield 3 in the long term, then Keita is a replacement, not like for like, but will be part of the midfield 3. In any event, I'm sure they will push ahead with a move for Lemar if and when Coutinho goes.

Probably agree with you that Liverpool would have spent the money on Van Dijk regardless but the potential Coutinho fee gives them greater clout. I'd love to see Coutinho stay but I think he has his heart set on Barca.

This gets trumpeted, but it's not really true. If you suit his system he'll help your game. Look at Lingard, he's a different player under Mourinho.

That is a fair point.

But some players like Shaw & Martial in particular would be far better under a different manager.

• Everton
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    You need a break from the internet if you think that's having a go :D

Ok cool story bro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

You compared Mourinho because of who a poster supports. I consider that borderline trolling, and it stops now.

If you have a problem with my modding, PM me.

Drawing a line on the conversation here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Newcastle will get a result tonight against City I reckon.

Just got a feeling they'll stop them winning... that or City will win 5-0.

:o
    The latter would do nicely!

Truth be told, I'd gladly take a steady 1-0 win right now.

You compared Mourinho because of who a poster supports. I consider that borderline trolling, and it stops now.

If you have a problem with my modding, PM me.

Drawing a line on the conversation here.
    Im ok lol.

Some sensitive people in here .

That is a fair point.

But some players like Shaw & Martial in particular would be far better under a different manager.

I don't really dispute that either. But Pep has failed with players before too, look at Ibra at Barca, couldn't really develop him more there, just let him rot on the bench.

Managers always tend to like a certain style of players, Mourinho is no different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    That is a fair point.

Martial had a good season last year and started this season well too. Shaw has been poor under a few managers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Liverpool
    What could be evident is that the owners may have been the the initial issue for Klopp spend wise but it's odd for them to suddenly let go that amount of money. He must have challenged the board big time.

There is no evidence to support this, the club was willing to spend the money in the summer, and have done with Ox, Salah, Keita. Klopp seems to be just picky, it was either VVD or nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Liverpool
    The latter would do nicely!

Truth be told, I'd gladly take a steady 1-0 win right now.

:pac: always with the 1-0... how often has that happened so far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

There is no evidence to support this, the club was willing to spend the money in the summer, and have done with Ox, Salah, Keita. Klopp seems to be just picky, it was either VVD or nobody.

His posts have gone full Duncan Castles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Liverpool have just inflated transfer fees even more with this recent signing which will add more onto coutinhos fee, clever stuff

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Liverpool have just inflated transfer fees even more with this recent signing which will add more onto coutinhos fee, clever stuff

5D chess

• Everton

Not sure if they were initially willing to spend 75-80 million!
    It's fair hypocrisy considering all the slack city, Utd and Chelsea have taken from Liverpool fans for spending big on players. Even Klopp was at it in some of his pressers and now here he is doing the same ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

80 million for a centre back, Liverpool fans crawling under rocks everywhere

There was a similar outcry when Rio signed for Utd in 2002 for, what was it, over £30m? He proved his value. VVD could well do the same. Klopp, Pep and Conte all wanted this guy. £75m is today's transfer market is probably comparable to Rio's signing (note that I'm talking about the market, not 15 years worth of inflation).

As a LFC fan, I've no problem at all with this signing. Now, £35m for Andy Carroll, regardless of the Torres money, THAT was embarrassing business on the day it was announced!

• Advertisement

It's fair hypocrisy considering all the slack city, Utd and Chelsea have taken from Liverpool fans for spending big on players. Even Klopp was at it in some of his pressers and now here he is doing the same ;)

Football fans in hypocrisy shocker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Liverpool
    The collapse of man city begins here, 3-2 magpies.

• Everton
    GreNoLi wrote: »
    The collapse of man city begins here, 3-2 magpies.

Price??

Liverpool
    Price??

Probably longer than leicester winning the league a couple of seasons ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

In before Vincent Kompany's yellow card tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Liverpool
    Shot on target. More than most have managed

It's not often I agree with you, of all people
    :eek:
    But you're bang on there. The hammer we got on here for spending £50m on Stones and Walker was fearsome (funnily enough, not quite as bad for Mendy). And it wasn't just Liverpool fans either!

It's not often I agree with you, of all people
    :eek:
    But you're bang on there. The hammer we got on here for spending £50m on Stones and Walker was fearsome (funnily enough, not quite as bad for Mendy). And it wasn't just Liverpool fans either!

I mean the amount ye spent on yer backline is fairly insane!

Liverpool
    Kompany limping again. City must be close to cutting him loose

I mean the amount ye spent on yer backline is fairly insane!
    Two things.
    1. Yes, we spent big on the defence. But did you see us last season? Christ.
    2. We didn't spend anywhere near the VVD fee on any single player.
    3.I don't think anyone can say the players we bought (including Ederson) haven't been proven to be good buys.
    4. I lied about the "two things" bit!

• Advertisement

Someone put Kompany down FFS.

Liverpool
    Can see Kompany retiring at the end of the season.

I genuinely don't think Newcastle have completed 10 passes in that first 15 minutes. :eek:

Can see Kompany retiring at the end of the season.
    The club need to make a decision on the future career path for Vinnie. We can't count on him being fit for any prolonged period any more. Maybe a coaching role in the academy. It's a real shame. At his peak, he was outstanding for us.

Liverpool
    Good save, city dominant.

Good save, city dominant.
    We need to make that dominance count. Kun should have scored earlier on. You only get so many chances in a game.

Poor challenge on Gundogan. Could have been red on another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

This must be what's it like when you're called in to paint the skirting board in Michaelangelo's house.

Poor challenge on Gundogan. Could have been red on another day.

Should have been a red, was he booked?

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    Joselu is a liability in every way

Advertisement