Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

irishman86 wrote: »
    Very little from the media, just took spending 200 million to get the team performing :pac:
    Thats straight from the PSG book of winning the league :pac:

Beats spending £70Million on a centre forward who can’t control a football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I would bid fcuk all don't want him near the club

Serious? He is exactly what you need. Knows the league well and he'd slot in perfectly when needed. Comes across as a decent fella also. What have you got against him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool
    70 million for VVD is ridiculous. Even in an inflated market he's nowhere near that level.

How much Toby Alder & Dave so if that's the case, 100million?

Can't see VVD justifying that price tag at all. The irony of it all is Liverpool fans giving United stick for Pogba for his price tag.

Liverpool
    Berserker wrote: »
    Serious? He is exactly what you need. Knows the league well and he'd slot in perfectly when needed. Comes across as a decent fella also. What have you got against him?

Evans doesn't suit Peps system at all. So no idea how they are exactly what City need.

Considering City have only conceded 12 goals in the league I imagine a CB is the least of their worries :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    Beats spending £70Million on a centre forward who can’t control a football

Hes a goal scorer why does he need to control the football

Liverpool

To score more goals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Evans doesn't suit Peps system at all. So no idea how they are exactly what City need.

Considering City have only conceded 12 goals in the league I imagine a CB is the least of their worries :pac:

They need cover at the back. Kompany limped off injured again tonight. Why doesn't Evans suit their system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It’ll be great to see how Klopp improves the 75 million centre back he just bought.

Genius truth be told, Mourinho doesn’t improve anybody

Liverpool
    Berserker wrote: »
    They need cover at the back. Kompany limped off injured again tonight. Why doesn't Evans suit their system?

Comfortable on the ball. Reasonable quick and plays out from the back.

I would say Evans is reasonable comfortable on the ball but not to the level of Peps requirement.

They could buy a far superior CB for cover.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    It’ll be great to see how Klopp improves the 75 million centre back he just bought.

Altho this post is a dig at Liverpool fans.

It'll be near impossible for him to justify his price tag. If Liverpool still concede a lot of goals weather VVD is at fault or not, it'll be based on clean sheets.

But United fans have been defending Pogba since they bought him and his stats are sh1te so perhaps they'll ask United fans for some advice ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Well you've just shown how much of a clue you have with that post. Why would a footballer need to control a football? If you need to ask...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Kevin 'The Architect' De Bruyne, what a player.

Someone’s been watching the darts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

70 million for VVD is ridiculous. Even in an inflated market he's nowhere near that level.

Can't see VVD justifying that price tag at all. The irony of it all is Liverpool fans giving United stick for Pogba for his price tag.

VVD is a better CB than Alderweirald.

Azpilicueta is a RB only played as a RCB in a 3 not a 2. He is a brillant player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

MD1990 wrote: »

I’d have to disagree with that on the grounds that it’s wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Azpilicueta is a RB only played as a RCB in a 3 not a 2. He is a brillant player though.

Alderweireld is argubaly THE best CB in the league. No way is VVD better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Arsenal
    Apparently Liverpool started the bidding at £75m plus Lovren but Southampton took a tough stance and got them down to just £75m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    Good signing for Liverpool. Their defence is still terrible but it's a start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Liam O wrote: »
    Same place he got 20m for Essien probably. Mad that the reduction in the Essien fee by nearly 5m and the increase in the Vidic fee by 4m suited his argument so well though...

Read my post properly I said 20 odd million which for those not knowledgable enough is an approximation sorry I didn't have the exact figure.

Noone heard of?

Vidic was relatively well known by most football people. .And was voted best Defender in Russian league. And at only 23 years of age!

I think this years top defender in Russia was part of a back line that conceded 8 goals to Liverpool in the Champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Spurs have struggled against the top 6 in head to heads.
    I can't remember Alderweireld ever standing out against a top 6 team at all. He is not good when playing in a high line in particular.

Davison Sanchez has more potential. I would have preferred to have signed him for 40m than VVD for 75m.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Alderweireld better than VVD lol just lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everton
    Liam O wrote: »
    Same place he got 20m for Essien probably. Mad that the reduction in the Essien fee by nearly 5m and the increase in the Vidic fee by 4m suited his argument so well though...

Read my post properly I said 20 odd million which for those not knowledgable enough is an approximation sorry I didn't have the exact figure.

Noone heard of?

Vidic was relatively well known by most football people. .And was voted best Defender in Russian league. And at only 23 years of age!

I think this years top defender in Russia was part of a back line that conceded 8 goals to Liverpool in the Champions league.

Thanks for that fact!

I'm not sure what it has to do with Vidic as a defender back then but anyway!

I'd have to get a second word also as your fact knowledge isn't the most accurate to say the least!

Stop digging. ...

Thanks for that fact!

I'm not sure what it has to do with Vidic as a defender back then but anyway!

I'd have to get a second word also as your fact knowledge isn't the most accurate to say the least!

Stop digging. ...

Your point was that people in the know were aware of Vidic and listed Russian defender of the year as a prime reason for it. That had little to do with the majority of people they didn't know him and witnessed his first average-poor outings in a United shirt.

I'm not really digging at all the initial post was to do that Mourinhos arrival was the start of mad money spending. 25/30m figures had already been spent by clubs before he arrived it's a closed book as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Comfortable on the ball. Reasonable quick and plays out from the back.

I would say Evans is reasonable comfortable on the ball but not to the level of Peps requirement.

They could buy a far superior CB for cover.
    I'd take Alderweireld in a heartbeat. But it won't happen for two reasons.
    1. Spurs won't sell him.

And even if they were prepared to sell,
    2. Going on Levy's past record in transfer dealings, he'll have looked at Van Dijk's fee and he'd be looking for more than that. And I don't think we'd be prepared to go that high.

As an alternative, Harry Maguire. He doesn't do anything badly. And seeing what Pep has done with the likes of Delph, Otamendi, KDB and Sterling this season, he could do a great job with Maguire. Would Leicester sell him though? Certainly not next month anyway.

Everton
    Your point was that people in the know were aware of Vidic and listed Russian defender of the year as a prime reason for it. That had little to do with the majority of people they didn't know him and witnessed his first average-poor outings in a United shirt.

I'm not really digging at all the initial post was to do that Mourinhos arrival was the start of mad money spending. 25/30m figures had already been spent by clubs before he arrived it's a closed book as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't say it was a prime reason for his credentials per se but it is one of a dozen reasons he had good notoriety in the game as the team he joined got markedly better upon his arrival at the time. (Mid table lurkers the previous couple of seasons to title challengers when he was there)

The Serbian Back 4 were famous as a unit in the game after their qualifying exploits so it was hardly an OTT price at £7 million in 2006 when he joined (almost 2 years after Roman had arrivde)

Roman's first 2 seasons gross spending (and it was gross)

£112 to £123 million by different estimates
    circa £95 million

Sure there was Rio and Veron who were huge fees and broke unprecedented ridiculous price barriers at the time but as a whole no team were spending the level of prices Chelsea paid each Summer once Jose and Roman teamed up.

You are talking about players like SWP for over £20 million

I think Chelsea bought well as a whole over the years (hindsight comes into play here though, like all good transfer dealings), a few duds but the likes of Makelele,Carvalho, Cech, Ferreira were great deals at the time, and noone disputed this, Drogba's price was inflated at the time but he had the pedigree and they had the money so they could afford to take an educated risk with him. Juve were only willing to offer half that so that goes to show the spending power and attitude Chelsea had.

But dragging Vidic into the argument and stating untruths like a 50% increase in transfer price and stating "noone (speak for yourself) had heard of him at the time" as an example to somewhat deflect from the inflationary spending by Chelsea at the time is poor enough innings!

vidic only played a handful of games in his first few months, most as sub appearances.

The following season he became First 11 United CB in a team that won the League and was well praised obviously and never looked back after that.

Anyone that considered him as "initially looking like a flop ", as you said, would have been very very knee jerk to formulate that opinion after a few games, mainly as a late sub!!

Urrrgggh 7million 10 million jaysus who knows the exact true price bar the accountants overseeing these deals it's the worst thing talking to fans who talk money as if it's like their own.

Makelele was at Chelsea before Mourinho arrived.

Yes so you are aware fans were pondering what have they spent whatever amount of money on this lad no one knew anything about to come on as a late sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

VVD is the best defender in the world, Klopp will improve him no end too

A bargain really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Someone seems very upset with Liverpool and Klopp signing a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    VVD will improve Liverpool but not half as much as a proper goalkeeper. The defensive issues won't go away till they get a proper goalkeeper. Ridiculous transfer fee aswell the sooner the PL bubble bursts the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Someone seems very upset with Liverpool and Klopp signing a player.

Why couldn't we just have saved money and signed Jonny Evans instead.

• Advertisement

Carvahal sacked by Sheffield Wednesday gets the Swansea job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    VVD will improve Liverpool but not half as much as a proper goalkeeper. The defensive issues won't go away till they get a proper goalkeeper. Ridiculous transfer fee aswell the sooner the PL bubble bursts the better.

Will it burst though. With talks of facebook looking at the rights it could go even bigger. Everyone thought paying 10 million for an actor for 1 film was crazy 10 years ago but it's probably 15 to 20 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

pjohnson wrote: »
    Carvahal sacked by Sheffield Wednesday gets the Swansea job

That's relegation confirmed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Proper goalkeeper is a must and, I'd say, a more natural defensive midfield player. It wouldn't necessarily need to be someone in the Makelele or Matic role, but someone with a more natural affinity for safety, clever positioning, etc than Henderson and Can would result in far fewer issues I think.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    That's relegation confirmed

Fairly daft appointment. Britton made clear he didn't want the gig so they musta been desperate to have someone before the transfer window opens!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

monkey9 wrote: »
    Why couldn't we just have saved money and signed Jonny Evans instead.

We should learn our place and not spend money that would barely get into the top 3 of utds most expensive players.

Everton
    Urrrgggh 7million 10 million jaysus who knows the exact true price bar the accountants overseeing these deals it's the worst thing talking to fans who talk money as if it's like their own.

Makelele was at Chelsea before Mourinho arrived.

Yes so you are aware fans were pondering what have they spent whatever amount of money on this lad no one knew anything about to come on as a late sub.

Well if you are going to be going around talking about high and low prices and value for money etc, don't be expected not to be pulled up on it when you twist these money amounts to suit your agenda!

Makelele was bought when Roman took over Chelsea. That was the Summer he spent over circa £115 million. We were talking about club by club prices, if you followed the conversation.

Proper goalkeeper is a must and, I'd say, a more natural defensive midfield player. It wouldn't necessarily need to be someone in the Makelele or Matic role, but someone with a more natural affinity for safety, clever positioning, etc than Henderson and Can would result in far fewer issues I think.
    We'll sell them Joe Hart. And we won't charge them £75m either. Let's say, £20m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

blueser wrote: »
    We'll sell them Joe Hart. And we won't charge them £75m either. Let's say, £20m?

Does not compute :)

• Advertisement

Benimar wrote: »
    Does not compute :)
    Now now; be nice. It's the season of goodwill, remember?

Liverpool
    5starpool wrote: »
    We should learn our place and not spend money that would barely get into the top 3 of utds most expensive players.

There is no problem with ye spending money at all, just every one of the arguments of Klopp doesn’t spend money, Pogba 90m yada yada, Lukaku 70m yada yada become invalid..

When United signed Pogba for 89m, klopp stated that if that became the norm he would quit football.. well that’s become the norm and it turns out he is just as hypocritical as the rest of them, and tbh I don’t blame him, you have to spend the money these days to progress..

Everton
    Lets be honest, Pogba is (as well as a young and top player), a marketing dream.

He would be in the first team of any of the clubs (including City, where, at the moment, he would probably thrive more) so I never exasperated too much at the price of him, given how the market is today and the cash United have to throw out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Watford
    astradave wrote: »
    There is no problem with ye spending money at all, just every one of the arguments of Klopp doesn’t spend money, Pogba 90m yada yada, Lukaku 70m yada yada become invalid..

When United signed Pogba for 89m, klopp stated that if that became the norm he would quit football.. well that’s become the norm and it turns out he is just as hypocritical as the rest of them, and tbh I don’t blame him, you have to spend the money these days to progress..

Some clubs have been spending that kind of money for years, Klopp makes one big buy and all of a sudden he's a hypocrite?

Everton
    "‘If you bring one player in for £100m and he gets injured, then it all goes through the chimney,’

‘The day that this is football, I’m not in a job anymore, because the game is about playing together ‘That is how everybody in football understands it. You always want to have the best, but building the group is necessary to be successful. ‘Other clubs can go out and spend more money and collect top players. I want to do it differently. I would even do it differently if I could spend that money.’

Jurgen Klopp......................last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Lets be honest, Pogba is (as well as a young and top player), a marketing dream.

He would be in the first team of any of the clubs (including City, where, at the moment, he would probably thrive more) so I never exasperated too much at the price of him, given how the market is today and the cash United have to throw out.

I don't think he would get into City midfield ahead of Silva, De Bruyne or Ferndinho/Gundogen.

• Advertisement

Everton
    emmetkenny wrote: »
    I don't think he would get into City midfield ahead of Silva, De Bruyne or Ferndinho/Gundogen.

I do. I think he would perform and stand out more if he were to break into that team. I don't know for a fact, I just believe he would. Impossible to gauge though. The City system would suit him more (probably)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    "‘If you bring one player in for £100m and he gets injured, then it all goes through the chimney,’

‘The day that this is football, I’m not in a job anymore, because the game is about playing together ‘That is how everybody in football understands it. You always want to have the best, but building the group is necessary to be successful. ‘Other clubs can go out and spend more money and collect top players. I want to do it differently. I would even do it differently if I could spend that money.’

Jurgen Klopp......................last year.

Phew... its lucky he only spent £75m so.

Well if you are going to be going around talking about high and low prices and value for money etc, don't be expected not to be pulled up on it when you twist these money amounts to suit your agenda!

Makelele was bought when Roman took over Chelsea. That was the Summer he spent over circa £115 million. We were talking about club by club prices, if you followed the conversation.

The conversation was mad money spent came a thing when Jose arrived in England!

Excuse me but Vidic was brought up as he was one of the signings in a year United were referenced to not spending as much in the preceding years my so called agenda was suggested by another poster but that was tripe what agenda? It's not my money if it was 24.6m or whatever it is; is exactly that so apologies if saying 20 odd million doesn't cut it for you.

Liverpool
    Some clubs have been spending that kind of money for years, Klopp makes one big buy and all of a sudden he's a hypocrite?

How much did he spend on Keita? Don’t think many clubs have been dropping 75m on a CB for years he hence why it’s a record for defender..

Look I have no problem with him spending money as I have said, you need to spend the money if you want to progress and that’s the way the market is going, it’s more Klopp has also stated that even if he had that money he wouldn’t spend it on one player..

In short, yes he is a hypocrite

Everton
    emmetkenny wrote: »
    Phew... its lucky he only spent £75m so.

And that makes his comment any less hypocritical.

If you can't see the irony in forking out £75 million for a defender who has been plying his trade for a mid table PL club who has a relatively low appearance rate for his national team to forking out £90 million for a young player who had played and stood out in Champion League and European Championship finals I am at a loss as to what your quantification of irony and hypocrisy is!

VVD is and will be a top defender going forward and as a player is a brilliant asset to Liverpool but Klopp cannot moan and pontificate about transfer fees to the point he is stating he will leave the game if he is willing to fork out that amount the following season!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement