Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    I do. I think he would perform and stand out more if he were to break into that team. I don't know for a fact, I just believe he would. Impossible to gauge though. The City system would suit him more (probably)

He's not disciplined enough to play the deep midfield role, De Bruyne is the player of year so far and Silva shades the third place for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everton
    emmetkenny wrote: »
    He's not disciplined enough to play the deep midfield role, De Bruyne is the player of year so far and Silva shades the third place for me.

As I said, hard to know, given they are playing in 2 different styles and how well all the City MF/attack are thriving in such a system how he would fit in if he were in the City squad.

Phew... its lucky he only spent £75m so.

Lol

Game set and match!

Everton
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Lol

Game set and match!

How is it "game, set and match" given the point that is being made!!

Is £75 million for a 26 year old mid table club defender with just over a dozen international caps the limit Klopp is willing to pay before he decides to leave football! Hardly the finished article that £75 million would seem to suggest!

Come on, if you can't see the context of humour and hypocrisy emanating from this quote when looking at yesterday's dealings, you are at a loss!

Rose tinted eyes, a username with the mans name in it and all that jazz, I suppose!

I have no problem with Liverpool being forced into that fee, it is what it is in this market and they desperately need a player like him so if the money is in the bank, so be it. But Klopp has rightfully been called out on this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Agreed. I wouldn't swap Pogba for any of our first choice mf. He isn't a like for like with Dinho (wouldn't swap them if they were similar anyway), and Silva and KDB are undroppable on their form this season. I'm more than happy with what we have in that area. Don't get me wrong, Pogba is a decent enough player, and utd missed him when he was out of the side. I just think that what we have are (is?) better. And yes, I'm biased!

Everton
    Lol

Game set and match!

Is £75 million for a 26 year old mid table club defender with just over a dozen international caps the limit Klopp is willing to pay before he decides to leave football! Hardly the finished article that £75 million would seem to suggest!

Come on, if you can't see the context of humour and hypocrisy emanating from this quote when looking at yesterday's dealings, you are at a loss!

Rose tinted eyes and all that jazz!

I have no problem with Liverpool being forced into that fee, it is what it is in this market and they desperately need a player like him so if the money is in the bank, so be it. But Klopp has rightfully been called out on this one!

Klopp's point was he wouldn't pay extortionate amount on ONE PLAYER, hence why I underlines said extortionate amount on ONE PLAYER! Maybe the buck stops at 75.1 million when it comes to his ideals, maybe so!

• Everton
    Klopp on SSN talking about the signing now and saying that everyone will talk about the price. Really does look silly considering his moaning last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool

Rose tinted eyes and all that jazz!

Klopp's point was he wouldn't pay extortionate amount on ONE PLAYER, hence why I underlines said extortionate amount on ONE PLAYER! Maybe the buck stops at 75.1 million when it comes to his ideals, maybe so!

He said he wouldn't pay £100m for one player. He's paid £75m now so he's left himself £25m of wiggle room before he must quit the game.

Everton
    He said he wouldn't pay £100m for one player. He's paid £75m now so he's left himself £25m of wiggle room before he must quit the game.

I think all Liverpool fans today have a very poor sense of general hypocrisy and irony so I won't say any more!

The quote is out there for all to see and you can dress it up as you like, but no amount of spinartistry by Klopp will make it any less funnier!

His response would suggest that money doesn't matter at all now, a huge jump in his footballing morals a year ago!:

It is difficult at the moment because technically he is still a player of Southampton. I can imagine people will think ‘wow, what a number it is’ but for me it is not really interesting. We do not make the price, the market makes the price and the first thing all Liverpool supporters should forget quite soon is the price. We only talk about the player and what he can bring in – his qualities, mentality and character. That is why we are really happy about it.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Klopp on SSN talking about the signing now and saying that everyone will talk about the price. Really does look silly considering his moaning last year
    Not sure what Klopp expects, really. We got a lot of stick when we signed full backs for the price you pay for strikers
    ;)
    It's a world record fee for a defender and, as Neville said last night, it's a lot of money. Of course people will focus on the fee. The only way that will stop/lessen is for Van Dijk to consistently perform at a high level. Or until we pay 100m for Alderweireld!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

blueser wrote: »
    Poor challenge on Gundogan. Could have been red on another day.

A bit late to the party but that was a shocker of a challenge. Nasty. Definite red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Phew... its lucky he only spent £75m so.

Its almost like things change, who'd have thought?

The amount of cryarsing over this is brilliant and I'm made up with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    To score more goals?

What like first touch Shearer :rolleyes:
    Its funny how Lukaku is now terrible because hes at United

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

astradave wrote: »
    In short, yes he is a hypocrite

All football managers are hypocrites, without exception. Same for football fans. Every one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

astradave wrote: »
    How much did he spend on Keita? Don’t think many clubs have been dropping 75m on a CB for years he hence why it’s a record for defender..

Look I have no problem with him spending money as I have said, you need to spend the money if you want to progress and that’s the way the market is going, it’s more Klopp has also stated that even if he had that money he wouldn’t spend it on one player..

In short, yes he is a hypocrite

£52m give or take a million.

Quite why people are holding Klopps feet to the fire over this is strange not to say utterly pointless and childish, it's as if he was the only manager to bemoan crazy prices and then spend big when the chance to do so came (see Wenger most years). We all knew VVD was going to cost a club record sum since the initial approach went SNAFU.

The game changed for good when the new TV deals kicked in and PSG went mad for Neymar. Think how much Liverpool will get for Salah if/when he goes in a few years and Coutinho in the summer. It's just a case of making sure the numbers add up for Liverpool. City like PSG can write endless blank cheques it seems.

Everton
    fullstop wrote: »
    Well you've just shown how much of a clue you have with that post. Why would a footballer need to control a football? If you need to ask...

Why would he? Hes been a top scorer for years. I think the one showing how much they dont have a clue are the ones who try put Lukaku down just because hes at United
    It defies logic

Everton
    MD1990 wrote: »
    VVD is a better CB than Alderweirald.

Azpilicueta is a RB only played as a RCB in a 3 not a 2. He is a brillant player though.

Oh dear god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I haven't seen enough of Van Dijk to to sure he will be a success at Liverpool. I have seen enough though to realise why Liverpool spent so much on him Physically, he is the most impressive defender in the league. Great aerially, great pace and acceleration and physically strong.

Technically he is excellent, great range of passing and good from set pieces, even taking free kicks.

The litmus test will be whether he has the focus to perform at the top level, the concentration levels necessary to play behind a very attacking side.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Klopp does seem to be able to attract the players he wants to sign for Liverpool. Something that hasn't been the case for Liverpool with a few of their more recent managers. He has made them a decent prospect again for players that would have a number of options . He has definetly moved the club forward in that regard.

• Advertisement

Everton
    We all knew VVD was going to cost a club record sum since the initial approach went SNAFU. Quite why people are holding Klopps feet to the fire over this is strange not to say utterly pointless and childish, it's as if he was the only manager to bemoan crazy prices and then spend big when the chance to do so came (see Wenger most years).

I think most (well myself anyway!) just find the whole change of transfer fee morals funny! No harm in a bit of humour!

It isn't as if people are burning torches and launching a witch hunt against him because he was forced to pay this price because he wanted the player!

I think the "childish" thing is certain Pool fan's not admitting it is funny that this quote is being bandied about now and the whole thing is defence mode when people bring it up!

I reckon Klopp himself would smirk a bit now with the extreme nature of the quote (ie he would leave the game if forced into these huge fees)

Not everything has to be a defence of your club!

United fans have been calling Jose out for months, indeed since he took the position for some of the daft and hypocritical stuff he comes out with to deflect attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

irishman86 wrote: »
    Why would he? Hes been a top scorer for years. I think the one showing how much they dont have a clue are the ones who try put Lukaku down just because hes at United
    It defies logic

Well it certainly wasn't me putting him down because he's at united or any other club but you made a ridiculous statement and you were called on it. Why would a premier league footballer need a first touch?! Unreal

I think most (well myself anyway!) just find the whole change of transfer fee morals funny! No harm in a bit of humour!

It isn't as if people are burning torches and launching a witch hunt against him because he was forced to pay this price because he wanted the player!

I think the "childish" thing is certain Pool fan's not admitting it is funny that this quote is being bandied about now and the whole thing is defence mode when people bring it up!

I reckon Klopp himself would smirk a bit now with the extreme nature of the quote (ie he would leave the game if forced into these huge fees)

Not everything has to be a defence of your club!

United fans have been calling Jose out for months, indeed since he took the position for some of the daft and hypocritical stuff he comes out with to deflect attention

Ah yeah, no harm having a crack at Klopp for going back on his word. He probably feels a bit daft about it now himself.

VVD is unlikely to ever justify the fee, much like Pogba is unlikely to ever justify his.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

You obviosuly never watched Shearer play, as his first touch and ability to hold the ball up with his back to goal was excellent!

Who said he was terrible? He is an average Premier League Centre Forward

adox wrote: »
    A bit late to the party but that was a shocker of a challenge. Nasty. Definite red.
    Come on in, better late than never! I don't think there was any intent there (though only Murphy can attest to that), but it wasn't pretty. And intent is irrelevant anyway. And that's the third we've had done to us in the past few weeks (Kane and Alli should both have got red cards), and no; I'm not forgetting Ota's challenge on Kane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool

No his first touch and lack of big game goals has always been a downfall of his.

Nothing really funny about that to be honest.

• Advertisement

Everton
    Ah yeah, no harm having a crack at Klopp for going back on his word. He probably feels a bit daft about it now himself.

VVD is unlikely to ever justify the fee, much like Pogba is unlikely to ever justify his.

Meh, Pogba is 24, has played in European Championship and Champions League finals and been one of the central figures in winning 4 Serie A titles. Been shortlisted for Balon D'Ors and won many individual awards as a player in his own right.

I would be more confident than not he will justify the figure,

They had the cash in the bank and he will probably pay back a substantial amount in a marketing sense anyway, merchandise, jersey sales, club sponsor fees so I wouldn't read as much into the figure as many do.
    Most of the top clubs, if not all would have wanted Pogba but United could afford him and attract him.

You can say that about most transfers these days but Pogba's pedigree and youth and experience would suggest he has every potential to justify the extortionate price

No his first touch and lack of big game goals has always been a downfall of his.

Nothing really funny about that to be honest.

Lukaku didn't suddenly struggle against the top teams when he joined United, that has been a feature of his since his time at Everton. Likewise his poor technical ability was very evident at his previous clubs.

What he does have is power, pace and good finishing ability. At a club like United that in itself might not be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    The big issue with the Pogba fee was that he was a utd player in the first place. The size of the fee was not the big talking point.

Come on in, better late than never! I don't think there was any intent there (though only Murphy can attest to that), but it wasn't pretty. And intent is irrelevant anyway. And that's the third we've had done to us in the past few weeks (Kane and Alli should both have got red cards), and no; I'm not forgetting Ota's challenge on Kane.

I thought he left his leg in there on purpose it I was only watching on a stream. Lucky there was no serious injury.

Agree about a Kane and Ali also, two shocking challenges. Ali is getting away with an awful lot of dodgy tackle this season. Has a nasty streak in him and it happens too many times for it to be mis timed.

niallo27 wrote: »
    The big issue with the Pogba fee was that he was a utd player in the first place. The size of the fee was not the big talking point.

Pull the other one.

• Advertisement

The fee was definitely a talking point as it was ridiculous. Same as the VVD fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lukaku has some flaws but I wouldn't call him average at all.

He is a very good player but not a top level striker yet. He is still very young & a few years off his peak but technically needs to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool
    Lukaku didn't suddenly struggle against the top teams when he joined United, that has been a feature of his since his time at Everton. Likewise his poor technical ability was very evident at his previous clubs.

Not sure why you're quoting me, I knew all about his struggles v big teams and poor touches at Everton. Hense why in my last post I said it's ''always'' been his downfall.

Not sure why you're quoting me, I knew all about his struggles v big teams and poor touches at Everton. Hense why in my last post I said it's ''always'' been his downfall.

I was just reinforcing your point! Or expanding on your argument. I agree with you.

Everton

This is true!

But it's better to admit a mistake, even if it costs you 90 million!

MD1990 wrote: »
    Lukaku has some flaws but I wouldn't call him average at all.

He is a very good player but not a top level striker yet. He is still very young & a few years off his peak but technically needs to improve.

He is getting better with his overall play as the season goes on(ironically when his goals have dried up a bit). He’s been setting up some lovely chances in the last few games with some lovely weighted passes and his hold up play has improved but still isn’t where it needs to be.

Utd bought him primarily (imo) to address the lack of chances taken the previous season where they dominated games, created chances a plenty but failed to convert them and ended up drawing games.

He’s far from the finished article but he is a prolific goal scorer and with the right service will bully defenses and score plenty. He’s only 24 and already Belgiums highest all time goal scorer.

This is true!

But it's better to admit a mistake, even if it costs you 90 million!

Pogba was offered a new contract at the time and declined it and moved to Juve instead.

It does look funny in some regards but does get spun to suit a certain narrative a lot which isn’t the truth.

The fee for him was mental though. A world record fee and he most certainly wasn’t near the best player in the world but I suppose Jose said at the time that he won’t look expensive in the near future the way the transfer market is go8ng and was probably right on that front.

Still doesn’t mean Utd didn’t overpay for him though. That’s purely from a football point of view. Of course there is huge marketing involved with Pogba and his brand which I’m sure helps negate the huge transfer fee somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

In actually relevant news Arsenal at Palace tonight *should be more competitive than the games the last 2 days.

*may not happen but I hold out hope

ERG89 wrote: »
    In actually relevant news Arsenal at Palace tonight *should be more competitive than the games the last 2 days.

*may not happen but I hold out hope

Might tune in as Hodgson seems to have made them hard to beat. I’d expect Arsenal to have too much for them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool

Well technically VVD has been at Liverpool for years :p

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Might tune in as Hodgson seems to have made them hard to beat. I’d expect Arsenal to have too much for them though.

Seems like the kind of place Arsenal could go and be intimidated though.

Everton
    5 goals conceded in 7 games for Palace, 1 defeat in 10 games! Yet still a point off relegation zone!

Just goes to reminds you how horrific they were in the first few months and what a bit of confidence can do

fullstop wrote: »
    Seems like the kind of place Arsenal could go and be intimidated though.
    I can see it being a draw. Hopefully Palace can get their good performance out of the way tonight and not leave it for the weekend!

I can see it being a draw. Hopefully Palace can get their good performance out of the way tonight and not leave it for the weekend!

2-2 is a good shout I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Man City
    Is there a more twatish gathering of people than Liverpool and Man Utd fans arguing with each other?

This board seriously needs a thread where they can all **** off to and annoy each other and leave the rest of us in peace.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Is there a more twatish gathering of people than Liverpool and Man Utd fans arguing with each other?

This board seriously needs a thread where they can all **** off to and annoy each other and leave the rest of us in peace.

Yes, they are the people who come on boards to complain about it.

Liverpool

You mean a thread where they can discuss both their teams together?

We need something like a “General Premier League Thread”

Posted as the conversation has moved on to the Arsenal game.

Look forward to more stellar contributions along the lines of twatish a s **** off.

Not a bad suggestion. Thunder dome!!

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    Not a bad suggestion. Thunder dome!!

Really? The soccer forum would then consist of about 15 posters..

Nvm just seen the thunder dome part :D

Advertisement