Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

blueser wrote: »
    I can see it being a draw. Hopefully Palace can get their good performance out of the way tonight and not leave it for the weekend!

Palace going well. Hopefully they can nick something

astradave wrote: »
    Really? The soccer forum would then consist of about 15 posters..

Less than that surely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Less than that surely!

You are probably right, but don’t call me Shirley!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You are probably right, but don’t call me Shirley!

Hyacinth it is then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Man City
    You mean a thread where they can discuss both their teams together?

We need something like a “General Premier League Thread”

Na there are 18 other teams in the league fed up of ye polluting the General Premier League thread.

We more need a “Irish Manc and Scouser thread” where ye can all argue about how different ye are, whether football was better in the 70s/80s or the 90s/00s, whether Phil Jones really is better than Virgil Van Dijk and which of your two teams will get within 20 points of Man City.

• Advertisement

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Na there are 18 other teams in the league fed up of ye polluting the General Premier League thread.

We more need a “Irish Manc and Scouser thread” where ye can all argue about how different ye are, whether football was better in the 70s/80s or the 90s/00s, whether Phil Jones really is better than Virgil Van Dijk and which of your two teams will get within 20 points of Man City.

And just when the topic was moving on, you pull it right back to the shïte.

Why dont you comment on Carvalhal's appointment if you want to talk about a different club? Or tonights match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal

In fairness before yesterday's events this thread was exactly as the title said. Have a look back over the last few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everton

Having a merry Cristmas, Dean?

Anyway have you any topic you want to hit us with?

Or do you just want to arrive to argue about people discussing PL players and clubs and transfer fees on a PL forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Tbf he hasn't wasted it on here arguing about a transfer so has spent it better than a few on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Palace going well. Hopefully they can nick something
    Unbeaten in 7 or 8 games, isn't it? A fair proportion of draws in there but, compared to the De Boer period, a marked improvement.

• Advertisement

Everton
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Tbf he hasn't wasted it on here arguing about a transfer so has spent it better than a few on here

A few posts on a forum on a work free Thursday afternoon. Yeah, its taken over my Christmas, alright!

What have you been up to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool

What have you been up to!

Nm hun u? X

Man City

Anyway have you any topic you want to hit us with?

Or do you just want to arrive to argue about people discussing PL players and clubs and transfer fees on a PL forum?

Had a fantastic Christmas buddy. Kids happy, wife happy and Spurs collected 6 points. Couldn’t have gone much better.

Reckon Swansea have sealed their fate. Terrible appointment. Clement certainly wasn’t the problem there.

Hoping Palace can do the business tonight. It’s the sort of game Arsenal stumble in and Hodgson is doing a great job so fingers crossed.

As for VVD. No idea how good he is as I don’t watch much of Southampton but even if he’s Franco Baresi reincarnated, I’m not convinced he’ll sufficiently improve Liverpool to shore up their defence in any meaningful way. I’m not sure that personnel is their real problem.

Everton
    To be honest, I hope Arsenal win!

With the League all but done, at the very least we can hope for is a competitive race for the other 3 CL spots!

With the League all but done, at the very least we can hope for is a competitive race for the other 3 CL spots!
    Good point. With utd only drawing, and Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and (possibly) Arsenal all winning, the scramble for CL spots could be very interesting.

Man City

Yeah that’s fair enough if you’re not heavily invested in the race. I still think Spurs are struggling at Wembley compared to WHL and the CL will stretch the squad so I’d rather see Palace give Arsenal a good hammering tonight. I’d like to save the nail biting for the relegation battle instead.

Everton
    blueser wrote: »
    Good point. With utd only drawing, and Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and (possibly) Arsenal all winning, the scramble for CL spots could be very interesting.

Easy for you to say 15 points clear!!

I feel guilty and stupid saying it and I am a United fan! Hope it doesn't come back to bite me on the *rse!

Easy for you to say 15 points clear!!

I feel guilty and stupid saying it and I am a United fan! Hope it doesn't come back to bite me on the *rse!
    Don't be like that. I'm trying not to be too much of an arrogant tw@!

Arsenal
    Wenger doesn't look well there. He looks old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Man Utd
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Wenger doesn't look well there. He looks old.

Beats Ferguson record of 810 PL games in charge , and is 68 . i wouldn't look well managing that team either would you :D ( and im a arsenal fan) :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    I think he's remarkably healthy and sprightly for his age. Thin people just look a bit more withered when they're old compared to someone carrying a bit more weight.

Arsenal
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    I think he's remarkably healthy and sprightly for his age. Thin people just look a bit more withered when they're old compared to someone carrying a bit more weight.

I just thought the images of him at the start of the game he didn't look well at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Palace look dangerous

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    Sanchez gets the ball in a dangerous position aaaannnnndddd its turned over
    Same **** different week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Arsenal playing well now.

Liverpool
    Johner wrote: »
    Arsenal playing well now.

Ozil centre of it all

Wow. Undeserved, but Palace level. Nice finish by Townsend.

It's like someone has flicked a switch and turned Palace on. Totally different side now.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Beats Ferguson record of 810 PL games in charge , and is 68 . i wouldn't look well managing that team either would you :D ( and im a arsenal fan) :cool:

Definition of an awful record. Just because Ferguson was in charge for a few years before the PL shouldn't mean that they are disregarded. It was a continuation of the old competition, just with different people officially running it.

Daft.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    5starpool wrote: »
    Definition of an awful record. Just because Ferguson was in charge for a few years before the PL shouldn't mean that they are disregarded. It was a continuation of the old competition, just with different people officially running it.

Daft.

Whaaaaat? You mean there was football before 1992?????

:D

Liverpool
    That is shocking from the linesman. Ozil about 5 yards onside .. not even close

Nice finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Brilliant strike that

Spurs
    Sanchez always a bit of an enigma. In isolation his goals/Assists per game for Arsenal is fairly top drawer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Great finish again. That *should* be that.

Whaaaaat? You mean there was football before 1992?????

:D
    That's just a myth.

• Advertisement

Spurs
    Sanchez since his arrival has played 120 games scored 60 and assisted 25

Hazard who plays in similar wide forward position and has largely been recognized as a top contender for player of the year 2 of last 3 seasons has played 122 scored 39 and assisted 20 in that same time.

Obviously a lot more attributes to consider but on raw figures there's probably not been a better wide attacking player in the league in that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

pudzey101 wrote: »

...but does he have the "Calendar year" record?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Wenger v Ferguson

Wins 468 528
    Draws 197 168
    Losses 145 114
    Goals for 1,524 1,627
    Goals against 781 703
    Points per game 1.98 2.16
    Goal difference 743 924
    Win percentage 58% 65%
    Total points 1,601 1,752

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Wenger vs Ferguson is it the turn of the century again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

It was only a competitive contest for a handful of the years they competed against each other. If it was a race Ferguson lappped him multiple times.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Fromvert wrote: »
    It was only a competitive contest for a handful of the years they competed against each other. If it was a race Ferguson lappped him multiple times.
    Spent wagons more money though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Crystal Palace
    Fromvert wrote: »

In fairness to Wenger in his first 7 full seasons in charge at Arsenal he won 3 premier leagues and Ferguson won 4. Obviously with Abrahamovic and Mourinho coming in, along with the new stadium (Emirates) it changed the whole landscape. From 2013 on Wenger has had no excuse though and is living off his first 7 years in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

pjohnson wrote: »
    Fairly daft appointment. Britton made clear he didn't want the gig so they musta been desperate to have someone before the transfer window opens!

What's daft about it? Did a very good job overachieving at Sheff Wed with a bang average squad.

Who'd you have hired before him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    Morrison J wrote: »
    What's daft about it? Did a very good job overachieving at Sheff Wed with a bang average squad.

One of the English jobbers :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Morrison J wrote: »

Well if it's premiership survival before everything else, surely you have to go for Pulis?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Well if it's premiership survival before everything else, surely you have to go for Pulis?

They don't have the players for Pulisball.

I guess being 15th in the Championship and sacked is a good trait on the CV. Once your aren't English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sanchez bust up with Arsenal team-mates after Burnley game

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/dec/29/alexis-sanchez-frustration-dressing-room-bust-up

I hear something was made of the lack of feel good goal celebrations during the Palace game today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sanchez bust up with Arsenal team-mates after Burnley game

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/dec/29/alexis-sanchez-frustration-dressing-room-bust-up

I hear something was made of the lack of feel good goal celebrations during the Palace game today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Think Carragher nails it with this article. Destroys Mourinho in the process.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/29/jose-mourinho-sounds-like-broken-record-pep-guardiola-man/

• Advertisement
Advertisement