Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    Utter crap as expected from Carracher.

Wonder why he's not compared Pep to all the other premier league managers even further behind City than we are having spent similar money to Jose.

Think Carragher nails it with this article. Destroys Mourinho in the process.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/29/jose-mourinho-sounds-like-broken-record-pep-guardiola-man/

I agree when he says Utd would win the league under Pep.

They still might next season under Mourinho, but the difference in their progress in similar time frames is startling. City look quality in every department. Utd are falling short in a few areas.

City's style of football is also on a different level. A joy to watch. Utd not so much.

Jayop wrote: »

Wonder why he's not compared Pep to all the other premier league managers even further behind City than we are having spent similar money to Jose.

I bet you didn't even read it. He makes solid points that I've seen Utd fans making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Would you say Mourinho is getting the best from the players at his disposal?

I think Mourinho is yesterdays man but will be more than happy for him to continue at United.

Everton
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I bet you didn't even read it. He makes solid points that I've seen Utd fans making.

I did read it and it was ****e.

Everton
    Would you say Mourinho is getting the best from the players at his disposal?

I think Mourinho is yesterdays man but will be more than happy for him to continue at United.

If he's a yesterday man then what does it say for the 18 managers he's ahead of. Klopp Conte etc who have spent similar amounts. Klopp who's had longer.

It's amazing how City doing well is a stick to beat only United with and not the other clubs doing even worse than us.

Wrong. It was on the money.

Everton
    Wrong. It was on the money.

In your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Think Carragher nails it with this article. Destroys Mourinho in the process.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/29/jose-mourinho-sounds-like-broken-record-pep-guardiola-man/

Good article, makes some very good points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If he's a yesterday man then what does it say for the 18 managers he's ahead of. Klopp Conte etc who have spent similar amounts. Klopp who's had longer.

It's amazing how City doing well is a stick to beat only United with and not the other clubs doing even worse than us.

Whataboutery isn't really how you point out the weakness in another person's argument. Generally speaking using it weakens your own.

Everton
    Turtwig wrote: »
    Whataboutery isn't really how you point out the weakness in another person's argument. Generally speaking using it weakens your own.

I don't give a ****e. It's perfectly valid to ask why Jose and a united are coming under such criticism for being behind City while others get away scot free despite being further behind.

Carracher is a bitter moron and this proves it. Of course it will appeal to the typical clapping seal bunch of morons who lap anything anti united up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Genuine question. How much has Mourinho spent at Utd versus what Klopp has spent at LFC? (VVD money can't be included for obvious reasons here)

The article addressed Mourinho's assertion that the only difference between City and United was money. Pep is extracting a lot more out of the players at his disposal than Mourinho. The style of football is incomparable.

I don't give a ****e. It's perfectly valid to ask why Jose and a united are coming under such criticism for being behind City while others get away scot free despite being further behind.

Carracher is a bitter moron and this proves it. Of course it will appeal to the typical clapping seal bunch of morons who lap anything anti united up.

For ****s sake. Head away back to the United thread.

Everton
    fyfe79 wrote: »
    Genuine question. How much has Mourinho spent at Utd versus what Klopp has spent at LFC? (VVD money can't be included for obvious reasons here)

Why do you it shouldn't be included? Was the Lukaku money not being counted in the summer when comparisons were being made?

• Advertisement

Everton
    For ****s sake. Head away back to the United thread.

You keep lapping g it up. Clap clap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Why do you it shouldn't be included? Was the Lukaku money not being counted in the summer when comparisons were being made?

I assume because the transfer hasn't been concluded?

Everton
    Right o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Arsenal
    I havent read carras article or indeed the recent posts here, but would I be right in saying that take City out of the question, and the league positions (points) would be as good as most seasons. My point being, City are having an exceptional season, and making the other top teams look bad, which is not entirely the case.

I said it was a genuine question, as I don't know the answer. As for Lukaku, I thought he was a good signing and I'd no opinion on his fee as the market was already spiraling at that stage.

You're talking about current performance vs money spent, so as of the end of the summer transfer window, how much had each manager spent? Again, I genuinely don't know the exact figures but I'd be surprised if Klopp has actually spent as much as Mourinho. Though, he seems to have changed tact recently.

I'm not including VVD as he's still a Southampton player and has had zero effect on LFC's performance to date so can't be used to judge between Utd's and Pool's league position.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    I said it was a genuine question, as I don't know the answer. As for Lukaku, I thought he was a good signing and I'd no opinion on his fee as the market was already spiraling at that stage.

You're talking about current performance vs money spent, so as of the end of the summer transfer window, how much had each manager spent? Again, I genuinely don't know the exact figures but I'd be surprised if Klopp has actually spent as much as Mourinho. Though, he seems to have changed tact recently.

I'm not including VVD as he's still a Southampton player and has had zero effect on LFC's performance to date so can't be used to judge between Utd's and Pool's league position.

Liverpool also spent £50m on Kieta last summer but he won't join until next summer.

Everton
    Fair play to Carragher he managed to write a long enough article saying Pep is better then Jose and Jose moans alot without writing anything of substance.

I can do stupid comparisons too although probably none as bad as comparing Luke Shaw to Gabriel Jesus mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

United are held to a higher standard, due to their massive spending power, status, history, expectation etc and they are not meeting that standard.
    Also the other managers are not coming out with excuses every other week. United have made the 2 biggest signings in PL history under Mourinho ands he's moaning about money. Cringeworthy stuff.

Kolido wrote: »
    I havent read carras article or indeed the recent posts here, but would I be right in saying that take City out of the question, and the league positions (points) would be as good as most seasons. My point being, City are having an exceptional season, and making the other top teams look bad, which is not entirely the case.

I think both City and Uniteds squads have been assembled for over £700 million. Chelsea about £550 million and Liverpools £400 million. It's not surprising that the Manchester clubs are outperforming others, it is surprising that Mourinho believes the reason for this is money alone.

I think both City and Uniteds squads have been assembled for over £700 million. Chelsea about £550 million and Liverpools £400 million. It's not surprising that the Manchester clubs are outperforming others, it is surprising that Mourinho believes the reason for this is money alone.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-25-most-expensive-football-squads-in-the-world-2017-9/#24-bayer-leverkusen-165-million-145-million-2

Not too far off.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Liverpool also spent £50m on Kieta last summer but he won't join until next summer.

Hmm, good point. Is that £50m to be added to Klopp's total? Probably, as he decided to go a full season without Keita. But, to add the VVD £75m is unfair as he's only just signed! His signing definitely can't be added as fuel to an argument that Klopp has spent similar to Mourinho but has performed worse in the league.

Interesting swing there between £0, £50m and £125m, depending on the point of view, though :)

Liverpool
    Hmm, good point. Is that £50m to be added to Klopp's total? Probably, as he decided to go a full season without Keita. But, to add the VVD £75m is unfair as he's only just signed! His signing definitely can't be added as fuel to an argument that Klopp has spent similar to Mourinho but has performed worse in the league.

Interesting swing there between £0, £50m and £125m, depending on the point of view, though :)

On your VVD stance then Keita shouldn't be included either as he hasn't been in the squad or affected the Liverpool performances.

Probably fair to just say what each manager spent and use some common sense when discussing current position relative to that spending.

It's also worth noting that a lot of Liverpool signings have been financed by sales (Suarez & Sterling mainly). I'd imagine United brought in quite a bit in sales as well since Jose joined. Same goes for City and Chelsea.

Indeed. In fairness, at least he argues his points.

I still don't think you read the article :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Indeed. In fairness, at least he argues his points.

I still don't think you read the article :)

Call over to him so and ye can flirt in private and stop wasting everyones time.

Seamus Coleman apparently wont be fit now until April :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Liverpool

Tbf, it doesn't really read as anti utd, it is more Jose v pep.

Of the other 18 clubs you mention, only Chelsea, imo, should be up for criticism as they seem to be underperforming also but I haven't been watching them much so can't really say.

It is interesting though, I do feel city have been underperforming for years given the talent they have, Pep definitely improved them as they are playing more of a team with a clear identity, with new players additions also obvs. Would Jose have done the same with this city team... the answer is probably yes, but not to the same extent, as I think Jose would have been applying different tactics and I doubt they would have been as effective imo.

That is not a dig at jose, as I think he is a great manager, just has a very different outlook to pep.

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    On your VVD stance then Keita shouldn't be included either as he hasn't been in the squad or affected the Liverpool performances.

Probably fair to just say what each manager spent and use some common sense when discussing current position relative to that spending.

It's also worth noting that a lot of Liverpool signings have been financed by sales (Suarez & Sterling mainly). I'd imagine United brought in quite a bit in sales as well since Jose joined. Same goes for City and Chelsea.

Klopp decided to go without Keita for a full season so I'll give the Klopp-bashers that one. But VVD? Nah.

I still don't know how much either manager has spent though - before or after VVD.

Like others, I also suspect Cout will be sold, which will be retrospectively used as a finance-by-sales argument. There's a few on each side - DiMario to PSG, for example.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Call over to him so and ye can flirt in private and stop wasting everyones time.

Seamus Coleman apparently wont be fit now until April :(

There's people debating the article so obviously not everyone's time is being wasted. So if it's ok with you it can continue to be discussed!

Sad about Coleman alright. You'd wonder will he come back the same player after such a long layoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Where the Coleman info coming from? Big Sam said he's progressing well today.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Where the Coleman info coming from? Big Sam said he's progressing well today.

This is the only quote I could find. No mention of dates.
    Big Sam “Seamus Coleman is still a way off. That’s one we would like to get back.”

It's perfectly valid to ask why Jose and a united are coming under such criticism for being behind City

I'll try. Is it because they are so shouty and self entitled?

Everton
    I'll try. Is it because they are so shouty and self entitled?

Clap clap clap.

In your opinion.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    Clap clap clap.

Highly intellectual, well constructed response from yourself as usual. :pac:

Everton
    Obviously in my opinion. Clapping seal boy can read good.

• Advertisement

Everton
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Highly intellectual, well constructed response from yourself as usual. :pac:

It's all clappy seals deserve. Don't see yiy pulling apart the last post there with nothing but a smiley.

Clappy seals stick together to get the likes they thrive on.

Toys out of the pram!

Carragher, what have you done !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Liverpool
    I think he’s lost his marbles Bill.

Anyway, here's the fixtures for tomorrow and Sunday.

Can't see too many shocks happening. Unless Liverpool can beat Leicester..

Saturday 30 December
    Bournemouth 15:00 Everton
    Chelsea 15:00 Stoke
    Huddersfield 15:00 Burnley
    Liverpool 15:00 Leicester
    Newcastle 15:00 Brighton
    Watford 15:00 Swansea
    Man Utd 17:30 Southampton

Sunday 31 December
    Crystal Palace 12:00 Man City
    West Brom 16:30 Arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    It's all clappy seals deserve. Don't see yiy pulling apart the last post there with nothing but a smiley.

Clappy seals stick together to get the likes they thrive on.

What parts of the article do you disagree with. Its fairly on the money for me. I see you voted for utd to win the league so you obviously felt the squads were comparable at the start of the season. I have always felt and argued the other week that pep/Jose took over squads of a similar level. Pep had issues defensively to deal with. Jose had issues in his front 6 to sort. Pep has spent 50 odd million more than Jose. Jose has a bigger squad with more options and the chance to rotate than Pep. Jose is doing a decent job its just that Pep is doing a much better job.

Anyway, here's the fixtures for tomorrow and Sunday.

Can't see too many shocks happening. Unless Liverpool can beat Leicester..

Saturday 30 December
    Bournemouth 15:00 Everton
    Chelsea 15:00 Stoke
    Huddersfield 15:00 Burnley
    Liverpool 15:00 Leicester
    Newcastle 15:00 Brighton
    Watford 15:00 Swansea
    Man Utd 17:30 Southampton

Sunday 31 December
    Crystal Palace 12:00 Man City
    West Brom 16:30 Arsenal

Anyone any idea what the Saturday 3pm game on Sky is?

• Advertisement

Anyone any idea what the Saturday 3pm game on Sky is?

Liverpool V Leicester afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Jose is doing a decent job its just that Pep is doing a much better job.

Don't think anyone can argue with that.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Don't think anyone can argue with that.

I know a guy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Klopp has spent 10 million less than Mourinho now

Interesting to see where the narrative goes now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Someone really is upset with Liverpool buying a player.

• Advertisement
Advertisement