Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Liverpool
    Good goal. Now what? What team goes for it? Which settles for a point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    Cracking finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

rob316 wrote: »
    Sterling is absolute rubbish

Awks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Great technique from Sterling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    Random question? What is everyone basing City winning the league on, for me the team isnt that strong. It has a lot of potential when they get Peps ideas but i really dont see this year being the year

I don't think Everton can hold out.

Everton
    Good goal. Now what? What team goes for it? Which settles for a point?

I honestly dont remember Pep going for a point :o
    It has to have happened i just cant think when it happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Everton
    The ref has been excellent. The difference with Calvert-Lewin was there was no malicious intent.

Taking a player out in the air is far more dangerous than what Walker did. The ref has been far from excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Rooney been abusing ref's his whole Man Utd career without getting booked. Does it once for Everton...automatic booking. Ref's don't favour the big teams apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Pickford's kicking ability is pretty poor.

Liverpool
    irishman86 wrote: »
    Random question? What is everyone basing City winning the league on, for me the team isnt that strong. It has a lot of potential when they get Peps ideas but i really dont see this year being the year

The sheer quality of the side I'd imagine and the idea that Pep will have implemented his style on them.

On paper they're the best team in the league, will that turn out to be the case? Who knows. Long way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Taking a player out in the air is far more dangerous than what Walker did. The ref has been far from excellent

The difference is more about the intent. One was a calculated attack on a defenceless player, the other just an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Liverpool
    Good tackle ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Ref having a mare.

• Everton
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Augero with the dive

And again

Dives to get Morgan sent off

Dreadful decision

• Advertisement

That was a perfectly legit tackle.

Everton
    That´s another poor decision. He won the ball cleanly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Ref will be in league 1 by the end of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Liverpool
    Madley is blind. Not even a foul ffs.

Can understand why the ref sends him off there. Thought it looked like bad in real time. Obviously in hindsight it looks bad on Aguero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Arsenal
    user2011 wrote: »
    Pickford's kicking ability is pretty poor.

Don't think you've seen him play much then, not been great tonight right enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

He clipped Aguero with his studs on the leading foot, then got him with the trailing leg too. Looked yellow to me

Everton
    The difference is more about the intent. One was a calculated attack on a defenceless player, the other just an accident.

Just no, otherwise a late tackle where you try to get teh ball would never be a yellow.

Surely Aguero gets a retrospective ban for diving under these new rules that came in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

And again

Dreadful decision

Might be the first opportunity for the diving panel to have a look things.

Liverpool
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Surely Aguero gets a retrospective ban for diving under these new rules that came in?

He did clip him, even slightly. Can't see him being done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Just realised Klaassen is not Steven Naismith (I've had a long day)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    Sterling is still 22 years old.

His return for a player of his age, and often in hugely important games, is unmatched by all but a tiny handful of players. Probably a dozen anywhere in the past 10 years.

The criticism he gets is daft.

He'll probably peak early given the kind of player he is but even so, you're probably talking another 3 years until he reaches his prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    That will do

Might be the first opportunity for the diving panel to have a look things.

Headed up by Tom Daley?

• Advertisement

Just no, otherwise a late tackle where you try to get teh ball would never be a yellow.

It would depend on the tackle, but a late tackle could of course be a yellow card, I never said anything to the contrary.

• Everton
    Result pleases me all the same

Everton
    Pep tapping up Rooney no doubt in my mind :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Fair result City were disappointing in many ways & Everton incredibly negative with a man advantage.

Gbear wrote: »
    Sterling is still 22 years old.

His return for a player of his age, and often in hugely important games, is unmatched by all but a tiny handful of players. Probably a dozen anywhere in the past 10 years.

The criticism he gets is daft.

He'll probably peak early given the kind of player he is but even so, you're probably talking another 3 years until he reaches his prime.

Agreed. I think he's come on leaps and bounds under Pep. He is an excellent addition to the team imo and has justified his price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Bobby Madley is quite comfortably the worst referee I've ever witnessed at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Arsenal
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Fair result City were disappointing in many ways & Everton incredibly negative with a man advantage.

Haha in taking off a defender? Reel it in lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Liverpool
    irishman86 wrote: »

The potential of what could be combined with a league with no particulatly standout contender, they all have big weaknesses.

Anyway poor officiating marred an otherwise really intetesting game. City at points in the 2nd half looked better with a man less than when it was level. Still not at all convinced by the 2 striker system but his in-game management is fun for all football fans to watch. Decent result in the end but that sending off probably cost them 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Everton sat way too deep with man advantage.

Too many cooks spoil the broth is the case with city, too many am and forwards with no balance in the midfield. No one has a clue what there doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Liamalone wrote:
    Haha in taking off a defender? Reel it in lol

Yeah I mentioned that earlier.
    They sat too deep the whole game & were lucky City were so off form.
    The back 3 City had left a ton of space in behind that they could have done more with besides pump it up to Calvert Lewin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    Great result from a United POV. Would have preferred an Everton win but ho hum.

All of our main top4/title rivals have already dropped points and mostly it's been against pretty poor teams. Only Spurs have dropped points that would be somewhat acceptable.

Everton
    The potential of what could be combined with a league with no particulatly standout contender, they all have big weaknesses.

I agree with that but it doesnt really answer the question
    Right now its fine, Kompany is still fit, but if he goes down i cant see city winning

Anyway poor officiating marred an otherwise really intetesting game. City at points in the 2nd half looked better with a man less than when it was level. Still not at all convinced by the 2 striker system but his in-game management is fun for all football fans to watch. Decent result in the end but that sending off probably cost them 3 points.

The ref had a wonderful game. He made some really tough decisions under pressure from the home fans.

City did look a lot better second half,it coincided with Silva having a bigger influence on the game. I think a point each was the right result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Guardiola embarrassing himself at the end there, running to shake hands with the ref, clearly sarcastically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    Just looking at the goal records, only 4 current players have more than two hundred PL goals. Just shows you the massive amount of rebuilding that' been done at all the top clubs the last few seasons.

Rooney joins Shearer as the only 2 with more than 200. After that you have Defoe on 158, Aguero on 123 and Couch on 103.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    Just looking at the goal records, only 4 current players have more than a hundred PL goals. Just shows you the massive amount of rebuilding that' been done at all the top clubs the last few seasons.

Rooney joins Shearer as the only 2 with more than 200. After that you have Defoe on 158, Aguero on 123 and Couch on 103.

I never knew he was sitting pretty on over 100 PL goals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Everton
    And again

Dreadful decision

both were clearly yellows, rash tackles on both occasions.

• Everton
    Morzadec wrote: »
    Guardiola embarrassing himself at the end there, running to shake hands with the ref, clearly sarcastically

He was roaring abuse at the 4th official
    Gets away with an awful lot

• Everton
    dfx- wrote: »
    both were clearly yellows, rash tackles on both occasions.

He dived

Morgan got the ball only

*Edit* embarrassing theatrics to boot. Hope this is the first case for the diving panel.
    Source got deleted on twitter. Il update when another appears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

He was roaring abuse at the 4th official
    Gets away with an awful lot

To be fair, all managers get away with that to a ridiculous degree.

• Advertisement
Advertisement