Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Yes I’m sure every club has. But obviously most people wouldn’t remember it unless it happened in the recent past so I guess you can claim some sort of hollow victory from that.
    Not after hollow victories. Truth be told, I'd be happier coming off today with a 0-1 and with no injuries to two of our key players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

blueser wrote: »
    See my previous post. Yes, every club gets bad decisions, and we all have the blinkers on when discussing our own club. So yes, of course I'm biased. But 5 dreadfully bad decisions in two weeks? Has any other side had that many in such a short timescale? I'm more than happy to be educated on this.

Arsenal.

Not after hollow victories. Truth be told, I'd be happier coming off today with a 0-1 and with no injuries to two of our key players.

Im sure yous have readily available players to step in!!

Just no competing with city.

League is gone to ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

League is gone to ****e.

They'll just buy Sanchez

League is gone to ****e.
    As for Jesus; we have one striker in the club (Kun). None of Sane, Sterling, Gundogan or Silva (either of them!) are out and out strikers. KDB looks like it mightn't be as bad (hopefully), and we do have players who can step in. But they're not the calibre of Kev. I guess this might force the club's hand into an early bid for Sanchez, rather than their preferred option of waiting for the summer.

Arsenal.
    I have no problem with being proved wrong (it's happened a few times on here!). In the last two weeks, yeah? Care to list them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Liverpool
    all the fixtures around Christmas and New Year is great as a football supporter and the tv companies love it. But as today's game shows the short recovery time can take a heavy toll on players. This really needs to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

greendom wrote: »
    all the fixtures around Christmas and New Year is great as a football supporter and the tv companies love it. But as today's game shows the short recovery time can take a heavy toll on players. This really needs to change.

Me if I don't get at least one live game every day from December 26.

child-sulking-sweets-alamy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

greendom wrote: »

Not really, today's game is the first one with a real spate of injuries. Considering all the games played so far, that's about par the course for games played at any time in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Liverpool
    Turtwig wrote: »
    Not really, today's game is the first one with a real spate of injuries. Considering all the games played so far, that's about par the course for games played at any time in the year.

City were well below par and struggled to play at their normal level. Lets see where we are in a weeks time for injuries.. And its not as if the players get a break after this high intensity period is over. While most of the rest of Europe gets a mid winter break EPL players keep going through to May. It will be interesting if there was a study to see how many more injuries are suffered in England compared to the rest of Europe in the 2nd half of the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Was expecting De Bruyne to be half dead after hearing about this heinous tackle.

What's the big deal? Late and a yellow but nothing more. You see loads of those tackles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Don’t think they really play more than they normally would with midweek fixtures the norm. Not sure if it’s necessary to have two games in three days mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Arsenal's unbeaten season was saved by a (dodgy) Pires penalty and maybe City will look back on an Ederson penalty save.

Arsenal's unbeaten season was saved by a (dodgy) Pires penalty and maybe City will look back on an Ederson penalty save.
    We won't go unbeaten, no chance. We've got the game at Anfield in a couple of weeks and we never get anything there. The unbeaten thing would be nice, but it's not the be all and end all, for me. Just need to bounce back against Watford on tuesday evening now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Yeah, the league was actually competitive until the final weeks when Arsenal went unbeaten. City will probably ease off a bit when the CL restarts because the league will be all but won, especially if they’re still unbeaten by mid-February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

74mis in a finally Arsenal make an attacking change, to late tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    Really enjoying the Arsenal players not passing the ball to Sanchez
    For me one of the biggest prats in football
    I really hope City don't sign him after the attitude he has shown the past year

• Everton
    irishman86 wrote: »
    Really enjoying the Arsenal players not passing the ball to Sanchez
    For me one of the biggest prats in football
    I really hope City don't sign him after the attitude he has shown the past year

He's overrated imo

And Ozil is underappreciated. Where is Ozil btw? Injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    Mclean you wimp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He's overrated imo

And Ozil is underappreciated. Where is Ozil btw? Injured?

Rested apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

No he's injured. Doubt for Chelsea.

Awful awful referring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Awful from McClean in the wall. Had he just stood there it would have hit him on the thigh but he jumped and turned his arse to it and made the gap for the ball to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

That's an absolutely shocking decision from the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

dreadful decision his hands were in a natural position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

That's inexcusable by Dean, not even close to being a penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Arsenal.

Add another one to the list for them. It's possible that ArsenalFanTv might break the internet after this.

The standard of refereeing is woeful now. Never a penalty.

That's inexcusable by Dean, not even close to being a penalty.

Just shows the standard of referring these days.

Dean shouldnt be allowed near the PL tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    Well he does support Spurs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    Dean must be near retirement at this stage, he's also pretty brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Mike Dean! Always about Mike Dean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Sometimes a bad decision can happen due to a ref only seeing it once.

This was not one of those times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Everton
    Dean's been a disgrace for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Mike Dean being Mike Dean.

It's always all about Mike Dean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

James McClean is having a really poor game today. Serious lack of intensity, which is odd for him.

I have no problem with being proved wrong (it's happened a few times on here!). In the last two weeks, yeah? Care to list them?

Hello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Mathematically they can still do it but for me that's Arsenal out of the title race.

Hello.
    Yeah; that's one. I'll give you that one. Now; another 4 in the last 2 weeks, when you're ready, thanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Refs seem to make shít up from game to game as to what constitutes a penalty offence or not. I'm delighted it was given, but it was an awful decision.

• Advertisement

Yeah; that's one. I'll give you that one. Now; another 4 in the last 2 weeks, when you're ready, thanks.

You know I never meant the last 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

It wasn't a penalty but I have some sympathy for Mike Dean. I thought Chambers left arm was in a peculiar position and it did seem to move when the ball hit it. He has a split second to make a decision and from the angle he was at it looked a little odd.

VAR should resolve these decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    I thought he punched the ball on first viewing only on second could I see it was natural ball to hand.

Refs have milliseconds from odd angles while running at pace to make these decisions.

I will hate the day VAR comes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Kolasinac was forced off injured from an unpunished Barry tackle today as well.
    Starting to add up now.

Bad luck happens to all teams..you only see your own teams bad luck though.

You know I never meant the last 2 weeks.
    Yes, but I did. And I made that perfectly clear in my post. And you still replied, citing Arsenal as having a similar run of poor decisions to City. There's no confusion in my post;

My post; https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105689283&postcount=3999

And your reply (quoting my post);https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105689479&postcount=4004

No confusion there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I've seen worse penalties. Plenty of defenders keep their arms vertical in that position but Chambers didn't, giving Dean licence to call it.

• Everton
    Utd were not awarded a penalty for what was arguably more of peno than that
    Inconsistency yet again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Everton
    I thought he punched the ball on first viewing only on second could I see it was natural ball to hand.

Refs have milliseconds from odd angles while running at pace to make these decisions.

I will hate the day VAR comes in.
    You'll hate the day they get decisions correct? This baffles me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

i think they should change the law to make every contact between ball and hand a foul, would make things easier for refs.

Also, thought it was odd that a hardnut like McLean should be the one to turn his back on the free...

• Advertisement

• Everton
    AdamD wrote: »
    You'll hate the day they get decisions correct? This baffles me

Exactly, time to remove this wiggle room provided to refs to pretty much **** up decisions and cost teams points

Refs making the game "flow better" is even worse

Advertisement