Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Wonder will that Young incident be reviewed.

3 game ban confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Johner wrote: »
    3 game ban confirmed.
    Can't really see them appealing it either. He'd risk an extra game for a frivolous appeal. He was caught bang to rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/947537202715680769

Cech is pretty incensed in the interview takes quiet a bit to wind him up.

IMO its not a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Bit odd that he still wearing that helmet thing, more than 10 years now since that Steven Hunt episode...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Crystal Palace
    Bit odd that he still wearing that helmet thing, more than 10 years now since that Steven Hunt episode...

Eh, he suffered a life threatening injury. Another proper smack to his head and he might not be as lucky. I’m sure you would do the same in that situation. Plus he was a triplet and doesn’t have as thick a skull as the average person.

Eh, he suffered a life threatening injury. Another proper smack to his head and he might not be as lucky. I’m sure you would do the same in that situation. Plus he was a triplet and doesn’t have as thick a skull as the average person.

Oh right, seemingly he wants to ditch it but the docs won't let him:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3320204/Petr-Cech-wants-play-without-helmet-doctors-order-Arsenal-No-1-on.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

blueser wrote: »
    Can't really see them appealing it either. He'd risk an extra game for a frivolous appeal. He was caught bang to rights.

I think that rule's been gone for a while now hasn't it??

monkey9 wrote: »
    I think that rule's been gone for a while now hasn't it??
    Has it? Christ, I need to get out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

i think they should change the law to make every contact between ball and hand a foul, would make things easier for refs.

It then becomes a practised skill to flick the ball up at your opponents arm/hand, or lash it at his arm from 2 metres away.
    Field Hockey has an equivalent rule and now once the puck is in the scoring area all people are trying to do is hit it into their opponents legs to gain a penalty. Its not a good rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Plus he was a triplet and doesn’t have as thick a skull as the average person.

What????

Anyway,two joke penalty decisions today. I've long been of the opinion that referees in England are too easy to award penalties, and today is proof. They couldn't wait to be the center of attention awarding the penalties. Zaha has built his career resurgence around 'winning' frees and penalties, i.e. cheating, and still the referee can't wait to point to the spot. Likewise with chambers, has to be at least slightly deliberate to award the penalty. Decisions like today give the likes of Jose a rod to beat referees with when they make a correct decision like the one made yesterday.
    Are the EPL authorities deliberately padding goalscoring stats with soft penalties??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Is the standard of refereeing any worse than before or is only that these days any person at home has slow motion replays and multiple angles to view em from and can post em immediately to social media further highlighting the incidents?

I long for VAR to be used in England, it's used in serie a and bundlesliga already is it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Has it? Christ, I need to get out more.

Or maybe i do...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

klose wrote: »
    Is the standard of refereeing any worse than before or is only that these days any person at home has slow motion replays and multiple angles to view em from and can post em immediately to social media further highlighting the incidents?

I long for VAR to be used in England, it's used in serie a and bundlesliga already is it now?

VAR has done wonders in Italy. We all know the issues the Italian game has experienced in the past but with this technology it puts this to bed.

My only issues with is there can be a delay getting the right decision but this is new technology and just needs to be implemented a bit better

Just in case you didn’t know, it’s going to be used in one if the 3rd round cup games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Are the EPL authorities deliberately padding goalscoring stats with soft penalties??

Plenty of stats out there. So far this season number of penalties is in the mid40s and pretty much on par with the last decade (actually behind a few outlier years).
    http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Premier_League_Penalty_Statistics.html
    The difference between pre and post 2005/06 is quite startling, I'm not sure whether there was a specific rule change then, or just a mindset change.

As for thinking that the EPL is 'deliberately padding', its noticeable that Bundesliga and La Liga are slightly ahead this season and SerieA is leading the way with 68 so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It then becomes a practised skill to flick the ball up at your opponents arm/hand, or lash it at his arm from 2 metres away.
    Field Hockey has an equivalent rule and now once the puck is in the scoring area all people are trying to do is hit it into their opponents legs to gain a penalty. Its not a good rule.

Field hockey that rule is for anywhere in the pitch.

Also if the player is close and the ball is over the knee then it is a free hit out as it is considered dangerous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

1st VAR game in England is next Monday night in the FA Cup

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He's overrated imo

And Ozil is underappreciated. Where is Ozil btw? Injured?

Yes and yes
    I thought the same, maybe hes off to Barca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Brilliant start for Brighton 1-0.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

1-1

Great start to the second half by Brighton 2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Lovely unselfish play there to give it to Murray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

****ing diving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Liverpool
    I’d say Bournemouth fans must let out some sigh when they see Ibe in the team. Nothing player

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

^^^^^
    Great business by Liverpool getting £15 million for him. He has never developed at all.

He's having a better game than usual! But yes 18 months and not a goal to his name is damning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    jbt123 wrote: »
    ^^^^^
    Great business by Liverpool getting £15 million for him. He has never developed at all.

This is what I think when I see him play

zKSD7fU.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

jbt123 wrote: »
    ^^^^^

Tbf Howe seems awful with money. He made Mousset the clubs record signing before he signed Ibe who has done nothing either.

6m on Brad Smith aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

No action against Zaha for the alleged "dive."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

pjohnson wrote: »
    Tbf Howe seems awful with money. He made Mousset the clubs record signing before he signed Ibe who has done nothing either.

6m on Brad Smith aswell.

I've never seen that lad Mousset play well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    In a world of rotation. Sean dyche stands alone . Only change he makes is bringing the suspended tarkowski back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

In the race to the bottom Stoke vs Newcastle & West Ham vs West Brom tomorrow should be interesting albeit very low in quality games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    That Lalana tackle looked a bit more dodgy on the replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Jayop wrote: »
    That Lalana tackle looked a bit more dodgy on the replay.

He got the ball so wasn't a free.

• Advertisement

Everton
    emmetkenny wrote: »
    He got the ball so wasn't a free.

Couldn't see the contact in the ball but not saying it didn't happen.

Liverpool
    Jayop wrote: »
    Couldn't see the contact in the ball but not saying it didn't happen.

First foot clips the ball and the second foot following up hooks it away. Wasn't the cleanest in fairness.

No goals at HT in the 3 prem games...

Everton
    Good hit.

Everton
    How does the ref see that and not book him. Refs getting worse by the game.

If Burnley were doing the time wasting Liverpool are at here the gnashing of teeth would be deafening.

• Advertisement

• Everton
    Sparkys last game as Stoke manager I'd say

Everton
    Crazy hand ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Arsenal
    Great goal Burnley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I really like Ndidi at Leicester.

Admittedly, I don't watch them every week but have generally always been impressed with him when I have.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Sparkys last game as Stoke manager I'd say

If he's gonna go it'll be this week you'd think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Arsenal
    Big goal for Pool, surely the winner? :P

Liverpool
    Great goal Liverpool

What is Allardyce playing at; 7 changes. Does he seriously think they've a better chance against Liverpool in the cup?

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

What is Allardyce playing at; 7 changes. Does he seriously think they've a better chance against Liverpool in the cup?

They were woeful against Bournemouth so I think he's shaking things up. As for the Liverpool game, it's a cup game, so anything can happen. Salah won't be playing. I think he fancies his chances of getting a draw and bringing them back to Goodison. Would love to see Everton beating Liverpool myself; like to see the underdog winning in the cup but Liverpool should get through.

• Advertisement
Advertisement