Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Bridge93 wrote: »
    How have West Ham and Spurs ended up 2 games behind over half the league? They have to play Tuesday Thursday Saturday now I think.

Their game on New year's Eve was moved to Thursday because they would only be able to have 40000 in Wembley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    How have West Ham and Spurs ended up 2 games behind over half the league? They have to play Tuesday Thursday Saturday now I think.

Something about Policing in London on New years eve no way were they gonna allow a derby take place then.. was stupid by the FA when doing fixtures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

London police called off the game as it was originally scheduled for NYE and the transport links & police couldn't handle the extra footfall around Wembley afaik.

Why it was scheduled for this week, and not next midweek or one of the LC semi final nights I do not know. Probably made too much sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Their game on New year's Eve was moved to Thursday because they would only be able to have 40000 in Wembley.

Oh really, I thought it was due to policing.. what’s the reason for the 40k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

astradave wrote: »
    Oh really, I thought it was due to policing.. what’s the reason for the 40k?

Local tube stops probably not in operation due to nye.
    Probably because they couldn't get enough police for it also.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-england-tot-whu-fixture/spurs-vs-west-ham-game-postponed-for-safety-reasons-idUKKBN1DY18T

• Everton
    Wenger charged by the FA for wants about ref during West Brom game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Man Utd
    Haha the FA and Dean are worthy bedfellows..joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Trevor Sinclair (now a pundit) done for drink driving, common assault and criminal damage and racist aggro - 150 hours community service

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/02/ex-england-star-trevor-sinclair-admits-drink-driving-and-racial-abuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Trevor Sinclair (now a pundit) done for drink driving, common assault and criminal damage and racist aggro - 150 hours community service

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/02/ex-england-star-trevor-sinclair-admits-drink-driving-and-racial-abuse

Seen that, probably the first time I've ever seen someone charged for racially abusing a white person, though I'm sure it happens frequently.

Think he should be considering his future as a patron of kick it out. There may be an opportunity with Keep it in, the incontinence charity.

He isn't a patron apparently. I went to the Kick It Out twitter and they have a message pinned about his.

• Advertisement

He isn't a patron apparently. I went to the Kick It Out twitter and they have a message pinned about his.

You're ruining my joke....ssshhhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Anyone see That Guy recently?
    Have not seen him post in a while

I know him personally nice funny lad and he spends more time on Facebook than board's lately though I not sure why Mick

Man City

Tonight Thursday and fa cup is Sunday v Wimbledon I think

Spurs moved the West Ham game moved as the max capacity on the original date (NYE) was 43k. Moving it to thursday = more cash.

So, it was their own choice to move it afaik.

Age profiles of the Prem 20, the West Brom squad made me laugh - no risks there (and it looks like a ceiling lamp shade). Liverpool are just a big bell.
    DSc9XUqWkAEHUJU.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Nothing will change regarding refereeing in the PL while Mike Reilly is head of the PMGOL. Monkey see Monkey do

• Everton
    Any chance Watford doing anything tonight?

Concede 2 goals I expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Any chance Watford doing anything tonight?

Other than snatching defeat from the jaws of victory? Likely not. Loss of Jesus should mean city will be less dynamic in their movement up front, which does help hold a defensive block against them. I don't think though Watford are really that team like palace were.

• Advertisement

• Everton
    Turtwig wrote: »
    Other than snatching defeat from the jaws of victory? Likely not. Loss of Jesus should mean city will be less dynamic in their movement up front, which does help hold a defensive block against them. I don't think though Watford are really that team like palace were.

Isn't KDB out also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Never noticed Beglin doing analysis for Sky before, has he been long at it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Isn't KDB out also?

He starts! Full strength City team. Best 11, bar Mendy & possibly Jesus. Still think Aguero is main man tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Isn't KDB out also?

Starting. Miraculous recovery after that savage, brutal, career-ending tackle just two days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    Never noticed Beglin doing analysis for Sky before, has he been long at it?

The program Premier League Review is not produced by Sky so the highlights are not Sky commentary, they just buy the rights to air it.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Starting. Miraculous recovery after that savage, brutal, career-ending tackle just two days ago.

Ironically, Puncheon is expected to be ruled out for the season after his savage, brutal, career-ending tackle. Would you class that as karma I wonder?

• Advertisement

Sarcasm(?) Aside

Some of the tackles players endure today and even with that if injured the recovery is just ridiculous. More attritional sports like rugby illuminate even more just how far sports science and conditioning has advanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

gstack166 wrote: »
    Ironically, Puncheon is expected to be ruled out for the season after his savage, brutal, career-ending tackle. Would you class that as karma I wonder?
    I certainly would. No sympathy from me, sorry. He could easily have ankle tapped Kev, or pulled him back, to stop the potential counter attack. But he chose to viciously hack at him. Tough s***.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

https://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/fa-charge-for-wenger/137875
    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has been charged following his conduct in the referee's changing room after Sunday's game against West Brom

That sounds like he strayed into Al Porter territory!:p

The image of Kevin De Bruyne being felled by a cynical, merciless flying scissor kick from Jason Puncheon should be seared on to the authorities’ conscience. The best player in the Premier League crumpled under the impact, falling to earth, and needed placing gently on a stretcher before being carried away. It was a sad image that taints the English game.

Henry Winter.

Almost shed a tear. Thank God he survived.

Almost like he was being a little drama queen.

Almost shed a tear. Thank God he survived.

Almost like he was being a little drama queen.

So you are excusing the tackle? Because he’s playing 48 hours later does that constitute it being ok to tackle like he did?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Can Marco Silva show why he isn't just a hyped flash in the pan manager tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    Spurs goal a fair bit offside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

1-0 Spurs. Was offside too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Definitely offside. Not sure what the linesman is looking at.

Commentators seem absolutely amazed that he didn't celebrate. It's his former team...what is so hard to believe?

Man City
    Great ball from Ericsson

gstack166 wrote: »
    So you are excusing the tackle? Because he’s playing 48 hours later does that constitute it being ok to tackle like he did?

It was your average cynical tackle to stop a late counter that you see in the majority of games every week.

Nothing near the career-ender it was being made out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Watford held out as long as they could.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Sterling in the first minute!

It was your average cynical tackle to stop a late counter that you see in the majority of games every week.

Nothing near the career-ender it was being made out to be.

But the piece you quoted never once mentioned it being career ending? It was most defiantly far from average too, but I agree it got much more attention that Kane & Ali’s from City v Spurs which was far worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Shane Long scored a goal. :eek:

• Advertisement

GET IN! Nice one Raz!

Delighted for Long. :)

39 seconds. Must be our fastest goal of the season?

Pretty tough on Swansea having to play Spurs who have had 6 days rest compared to Swansea's 2. Stinks actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Kiith wrote: »
    Definitely offside. Not sure what the linesman is looking at.

Wasn't even a hard decision to make. There were no players in the way or anything. And from a free-kick. Should have been a simple decision.

Karma would be the Spurs Swansea game being called off due to the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Can Marco Silva show why he isn't just a hyped flash in the pan manager tonight.

I doubt a game vs this City team is the night to judge that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Mushy wrote: »
    I doubt a game vs this City team is the night to judge that

They way Watford sack managers I'm surprised he is still there with the results he has been getting.

Man City
    Wasn't even a hard decision to make. There were no players in the way or anything. And from a free-kick. Should have been a simple decision.
    Maybe the rain got in the officials eyes it's Baltic out there sideways hail too,

Delighted for Shane long!

• Advertisement

Shane Long has more goals this calendar year than Harry Kane :)

Advertisement